Ricky Johnson on Tomac and the MXoN

BobbyM
8/15/2017 2:44am
doofy wrote:
The difference is if he goes and breaks his leg, all of those who sat back and called Eli a fool or coward or this or...
The difference is if he goes and breaks his leg, all of those who sat back and called Eli a fool or coward or this or that go on living their lives and say well that sucks for him, but Eli watches his first potential SX title and millions of dollars go down the drain.

Yes we all work jobs that are at sometimes demanding, but does anyone do work even in the same ballpark as dangerous as moto?

If the guy who landed on Anderson had landed a few more inches one way or another, it could have been a very different situation. Possibly career ending/life altering
What if he gets mauled and cornholed by a horny elk? Shit happens.
burnside
8/15/2017 3:46am
This is $$$$ over patroitism at the end of the day.

We've filled the off season with little cash cow races and now these guys dont have time to ride an event thats been going DECADES, is steeped in prestige, authenticity and national pride yet is getting shuffled down the pecking order by these new corportate fizzy drink races hat will prob be gone and forgotten in 3-5 years.

Im glad its still a high priority event for the top Euro riders but we all miss out if USA dont put their best foot forwards.

jonesaustin
8/15/2017 5:17am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2017 5:17am
Maybe have Des Nations every 2 or 4 years instead of annually?
MudPup545
8/15/2017 5:19am

One of the best MX films ever in my opinion.

The Shop

jeffro503
8/15/2017 9:08am
MudPup545 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/15/209932/s1200_51_DHUEbahL._SY445.jpg[/img] One of the best MX films ever in my opinion.

One of the best MX films ever in my opinion.
I hope we get another one of these ...." MXoN's....seventy years and a day ". It's been about 10 years since that was released.
crowe176
8/15/2017 10:13am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2017 10:14am
I kind of like that idea. Might possibly even bring back a little prestige to the event, and not seem like a huge annual cash grab for whoever runs the MXofN..

I have no reason to bag on Tomac for his decision. Mentally, the kid has to be drained. He had a looong SX season, and he can't be happy with how the last month of MX has been going. Maybe he's not happy with his bike, or his team? Maybe he's riding injured? Who knows.

The kid has a goal of being a big bike champion, and a lot of people have probably placed a ton of expectations on him throughout his life for who he is and where he comes from. (He doesn't seem to ever be having much fun) I'll be happy for him when he gets what he wants, then maybe he'll start doing it for the fans..

kkawboy14
8/15/2017 11:37am
1) trump didn't call him up for service

2) Decoster is a foreigner
SCR
8/15/2017 12:28pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
1) trump didn't call him up for service

2) Decoster is a foreigner
DeCoster is an American. You can tell by his SoCal accent.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
8/15/2017 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2017 5:57pm
lostboy819 wrote:
RJ had his really good moments and most of his really bad moments are when he runs his mouth, most top riders have a big ego...
RJ had his really good moments and most of his really bad moments are when he runs his mouth, most top riders have a big ego but RJs went overboard. Hannah was the same way but its weird that the more Hannah acted like a dick the more he was liked. I really don't care if Tomac or any other rider says no , pick the guys who want to go and maybe they will pull it off and win.
This.

RJ has always been one of my favs. I figured out his mouth running and just tune it out at times. This being one of those, add to that the mxlarge variable, and who really knows what was said.

Yet, all the while, mxsmall is getting exactly what they are looking for. Notoriety, as we are still talking about it. They are in the business of sensationalism, and business is good.
SCR
8/15/2017 7:29pm
ledger wrote:
Thank you.
Yep. Really enjoyed that. Good stuff.
burnside
8/16/2017 2:46am
Maybe they should run Monster Cup and Straight Rhythm every 2 or 4 years... haha Wink
Save your A-Team for the good shit!
Yep
8/16/2017 11:32am
burnside wrote:
Maybe they should run Monster Cup and Straight Rhythm every 2 or 4 years... haha Wink
Save your A-Team for the good shit!
Cool
8/17/2017 12:34am
The racing is alot different from the late 80's Rick. There is doubles in a rhythm section now that are bigger than the biggest jump on a track in the 80's. No one cares what a vet from almost 40 years ago has to say.
robkinuk
8/17/2017 2:44am
The racing is alot different from the late 80's Rick. There is doubles in a rhythm section now that are bigger than the biggest jump on...
The racing is alot different from the late 80's Rick. There is doubles in a rhythm section now that are bigger than the biggest jump on a track in the 80's. No one cares what a vet from almost 40 years ago has to say.
How old are you? Rick Johnson was a true legend at a time when the field was stacked. Team Honda alone had a six man squad.
You are obviously an opinionated key board ass hole with no class or integrity.

Got to spend lots of time with old friends RJ, DB and JO at Maggiora, all class acts whose opinions are valued and you should have seen the crowds reaction and love for the 1986 Dream Team!

Come back to me when your poster boy has won his first major championship! Until then STFU!Angry
philG
8/17/2017 3:52am
The racing is alot different from the late 80's Rick. There is doubles in a rhythm section now that are bigger than the biggest jump on...
robkinuk wrote:
How old are you? Rick Johnson was a true legend at a time when the field was stacked. Team Honda alone had a six man squad...
How old are you? Rick Johnson was a true legend at a time when the field was stacked. Team Honda alone had a six man squad.
You are obviously an opinionated key board ass hole with no class or integrity.

Got to spend lots of time with old friends RJ, DB and JO at Maggiora, all class acts whose opinions are valued and you should have seen the crowds reaction and love for the 1986 Dream Team!

Come back to me when your poster boy has won his first major championship! Until then STFU!Angry
The tracks from the 80's were brutal, modern guys would shit their pants if they had to ride on the tracks back then, they had bumps , and kickers and walls... shit , kids at Monster Cup on 85's can do all the jumps, what makes you think RJ couldn't do it now..

RJ is right, and he has always been right, because he gets that the people make you what you are , and by giving your all when it matters , regardless of what is in it for you , is what makes you a legend.

You can bet that there are a lot of people on here now who would love to see Tomac choke and lose to Marvin, or Baggett.. and I hope Roger remembers this next year when it comes round to picking the team.

Nothing is more important in the racing calendar.

aeffertz
8/17/2017 4:18am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2017 4:38am
philG wrote:
The tracks from the 80's were brutal, modern guys would shit their pants if they had to ride on the tracks back then, they had bumps...
The tracks from the 80's were brutal, modern guys would shit their pants if they had to ride on the tracks back then, they had bumps , and kickers and walls... shit , kids at Monster Cup on 85's can do all the jumps, what makes you think RJ couldn't do it now..

RJ is right, and he has always been right, because he gets that the people make you what you are , and by giving your all when it matters , regardless of what is in it for you , is what makes you a legend.

You can bet that there are a lot of people on here now who would love to see Tomac choke and lose to Marvin, or Baggett.. and I hope Roger remembers this next year when it comes round to picking the team.

Yeah I'm sure these dudes would be shaking in their boots to go race around in a bumpy field. Whistling

Different bikes, different times. You really can't even compare them. All these guys are legends, no doubt, but you're crazy to think the tracks now days don't get way rougher.

Shit the tracks are more beat up before the first motos now.

https://youtu.be/HOIYsINY21o

Still a good watch, regardless.
kawirider819
8/17/2017 5:02am
philG wrote:
The tracks from the 80's were brutal, modern guys would shit their pants if they had to ride on the tracks back then, they had bumps...

Yah I'm sure Bagget with his hand velcro'd on his bars would shit himself looking at hard bumps. Gtfo. These dudes would murder that track just like any other generation.
chuckie108
8/17/2017 7:28am
philG wrote:

Yah I'm sure Bagget with his hand velcro'd on his bars would shit himself looking at hard bumps. Gtfo. These dudes would murder that track just...
Yah I'm sure Bagget with his hand velcro'd on his bars would shit himself looking at hard bumps. Gtfo. These dudes would murder that track just like any other generation.
You guys are right, different bikes and different times, so hard to compare. But you can compare grit, determination, and mental strength. In those areas, RJ has ET covered in spades. (And everyone else accept maybe RC and the Hurricane). The combination of spending the beginning of his career on inferior Yamahas, and it ending early due to injury, dilutes what a bad mother f'er RJ was in most people minds. The guy has earned the right to have an opinion. Regardless of the ego behind it.
davistld01
8/17/2017 7:44am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2017 7:48am
14-years old, tops. Doesn't remember when Yamahas were yellow, or when KTM's sucked. Has bruises on tips of fingers from typing ignorant stuff on forums.

I don't have to agree with all that RJ, Hannah, Bailey or anybody else from their era of professional racing have to say...but I totally respect them for the riders they were and (for the most part) still are. RJ has been there and done that, so he is well qualified to voice an opinion. I'm not a professional racer, and never was one...so my opinion (and the opinion of many here as well) doesn't mean squat, but at least Ricky's comes from a huge level of experience and knowledge.
peelout
8/17/2017 8:48am
davistld01 wrote:
14-years old, tops. Doesn't remember when Yamahas were yellow, or when KTM's sucked. Has bruises on tips of fingers from typing ignorant stuff on forums. I...
14-years old, tops. Doesn't remember when Yamahas were yellow, or when KTM's sucked. Has bruises on tips of fingers from typing ignorant stuff on forums.

I don't have to agree with all that RJ, Hannah, Bailey or anybody else from their era of professional racing have to say...but I totally respect them for the riders they were and (for the most part) still are. RJ has been there and done that, so he is well qualified to voice an opinion. I'm not a professional racer, and never was one...so my opinion (and the opinion of many here as well) doesn't mean squat, but at least Ricky's comes from a huge level of experience and knowledge.

Robgvx
8/17/2017 10:01am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2017 10:02am
That tells us more about you than Rick Johnson.
wreckitrandy
8/17/2017 11:17am
philG wrote:

aeffertz wrote:
Yeah I'm sure these dudes would be shaking in their boots to go race around in a bumpy field. :whistle: Different bikes, different times. You really...
Yeah I'm sure these dudes would be shaking in their boots to go race around in a bumpy field. Whistling

Different bikes, different times. You really can't even compare them. All these guys are legends, no doubt, but you're crazy to think the tracks now days don't get way rougher.

Shit the tracks are more beat up before the first motos now.

https://youtu.be/HOIYsINY21o

Still a good watch, regardless.
You really believe that Unadilla these days is rougher than it was in the late 70s early 80s?!!! Surely, you jest.
8/17/2017 11:22am
Robgvx wrote:
That tells us more about you than Rick Johnson.
Ye.. go watch profile of a champion.. first motocross video I ever watched when I was like 8 years old.. guys a legend.. you must be really ignorant.
croom mx
8/17/2017 11:29am
I like Rick Johnson, but its not the same MX world now as it was in the 1980s. I agree with Eli he rides almost the whole year with SX then MX and you need time off.
Robgvx
8/17/2017 12:06pm
Ye.. go watch profile of a champion.. first motocross video I ever watched when I was like 8 years old.. guys a legend.. you must be...
Ye.. go watch profile of a champion.. first motocross video I ever watched when I was like 8 years old.. guys a legend.. you must be really ignorant.
He sure is.

SCR
8/17/2017 12:13pm
croom mx wrote:
I like Rick Johnson, but its not the same MX world now as it was in the 1980s. I agree with Eli he rides almost the...
I like Rick Johnson, but its not the same MX world now as it was in the 1980s. I agree with Eli he rides almost the whole year with SX then MX and you need time off.
They did just as many races in the 80s. Probably more in a lot of cases when you can't off season races. They put in same time and effort training and riding during the week.
Tracks were rougher, motos were 10 minutes longer and bikes were a lot harder to go fast on especially the 500s. I would like to see the reaction of todays top ten riders if we could get them to put in two 100% effort 45 min motos on 1985 500cc bikes at Unadilla as it was prepped in 1985 .

8/17/2017 12:31pm
Ye.. go watch profile of a champion.. first motocross video I ever watched when I was like 8 years old.. guys a legend.. you must be...
Robgvx wrote:
He sure is. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/17/210303/s1200_IMG_2241.jpg[/img]
He sure is.

Great pic rob
8/17/2017 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2017 12:49pm
Robgvx wrote:
He sure is. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/17/210303/s1200_IMG_2241.jpg[/img]
He sure is.

Double post

Post a reply to: Ricky Johnson on Tomac and the MXoN

The Latest