Ricky Johnson on Tomac and the MXoN

ehr400
8/11/2017 4:13am
I am personally glad that all the non US folks feel outraged they dont get to pick our team or agree with people who want to go or not go. Shit is just pure comedy gold. Like 4 people here would give 2 fucks if Herlings or Cairoli chose to rest or get surgery. People worry about other people waaaayyyy too much.

Maybe have the MXDN 5-6 years in a row at a time in the US and maybe once in a decade in Europe and see how many of the GP stars do it every year.
DeStouwer
8/11/2017 5:02am
ehr400 wrote:
I am personally glad that all the non US folks feel outraged they dont get to pick our team or agree with people who want to...
I am personally glad that all the non US folks feel outraged they dont get to pick our team or agree with people who want to go or not go. Shit is just pure comedy gold. Like 4 people here would give 2 fucks if Herlings or Cairoli chose to rest or get surgery. People worry about other people waaaayyyy too much.

Maybe have the MXDN 5-6 years in a row at a time in the US and maybe once in a decade in Europe and see how many of the GP stars do it every year.
I bet Tanel Leok would Wink
doghouse
8/11/2017 5:14am
dkg wrote:
To those defending Eli and those crucifying him, just some thoughts: 1. It is Eli's life, he can decide what to do with it. We may...
To those defending Eli and those crucifying him, just some thoughts:

1. It is Eli's life, he can decide what to do with it. We may not be happy about it, but, we really don't know all the facts. To hate on him for his decision is a pretty extreme way to express disappointment.

2. Eli has a job, most here have jobs, in most cases I'd wager to the individual involved the job is equally difficult. Eli's just pays better than most.

3. Not everything of value has financial compensation tied to it. Hell if this is the case, the human race would have expired long ago as kids generally don't result in a high level of financial return.

4. Those that go on to be the "greats" of any area of endeavor seem to always put forth that little extra effort.

5. Whether Eli's choice is the right or wrong one will be determined by the passage of time. He made the decision and will be evaluated based on it. Interestingly enough, he is the one impacted by it also.

So, let's get the best team we (USA) can and reclaim the trophy. This entire Eli stream has kind of ran its course.
All of this.
SwingHard
8/11/2017 6:00am
bayodome wrote:
Last year Tomac stated the same reasons for not going. No surprise he chose to skip it again. Bummer, but I'm still watching the race no...
Last year Tomac stated the same reasons for not going. No surprise he chose to skip it again. Bummer, but I'm still watching the race no matter who attends for the US. It's just a cool event.
SwingHard wrote:
So how do we watch this race? Serious question here!
mx617 wrote:
Go to the mxgptv site and pay $10 or $15, whatever it is they're charging. Speaking of which, though I don't necessarily think the riders should...
Go to the mxgptv site and pay $10 or $15, whatever it is they're charging.

Speaking of which, though I don't necessarily think the riders should get paid, I don't think the teams should really be out of pocket either. At least maybe the top ten? If you make the A main your travel and expenses should be paid for the next year. I think there's gotta be enough ticket and TV revenue to cover that, no?
I can sit on my couch and watch Supercross live on Saturday nights,I can watch the MEC live. I can watch Red Bull SR live. Yet I cant click on my T.V. and watch,from what I read here,the most "Prestigious" race in MX live? How important is this race again?

The Shop

ehr400
8/11/2017 6:04am
ehr400 wrote:
I am personally glad that all the non US folks feel outraged they dont get to pick our team or agree with people who want to...

DeStouwer wrote:
I bet Tanel Leok would Wink
Touche'
motomike137
8/11/2017 6:27am
That interview illustrates why the "Bad Boy" is my favorite of all time. RJ was about kicking ass and taking names. I was at the 87 Des Nations and I remember the vibe well, the weather was shit and we had no chance according to many. Ricky went out and just whipped everybody's ass on one of the muddiest tracks I've ever seen, it wasn't even close. I try to see things through the eyes of our current riders but this interview struck a chord with me and makes me lose a little respect for #3.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
8/11/2017 6:32am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 6:33am
I don't understand the big uproar with this, it's not like a top rider has never refused it before. Hannah Howerton, Barnett and Glover all refused to go in 80 and 81 and its the reason the B team went in 81. The majority of big names didn't want to go in the early 80s until they realized that they were winning.

RJ is a bit of a hypocrit here because he turned it down twice.

Stanton, Bradshaw Kiedrowski and Larocco all turned it down twice.

uh
ruy
8/11/2017 6:33am
Ricky Johnson 4 times in MXDN 4 victories
Eli tomac 2 times in MXON 2 lost. And one resignation to go and another one to come soon.

Overall results
Ricky Johnson 4- Eli Tomac 0

ruy
8/11/2017 6:35am

TDeath21
8/11/2017 6:47am
As some previously have said, the thing that most people hate is doing the two USGPs last year and not doing the Des Nations. Now doing the same thing again this year. If you need a break from the grind, take that break immediately when your season ends. It would be much more understandable.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
8/11/2017 6:47am
Grow the fuck up people
ruy
8/11/2017 6:53am

ruy
8/11/2017 7:01am
lestat wrote:
Tim Ferry tweet .

Back in my day.... it was an honor to ride for USA at Mxon.

Fourth_Floor
8/11/2017 7:01am
I don't really think it's a huge deal that Eli isn't going, simply because he wouldn't have been my pick to go over anyways. We have all seen him crack under pressure in a series he is familiar with, on home soil, against guys he's been racing for a decade. Multiply that by 1000 in a foreign land, against guys you don't race against and a whole entire country on your shoulders. I would much rather see Jeremy Martin, Jason Anderson and Zach Osborne over there.
8/11/2017 7:02am
You don't think it's stressful to participate in a death defying activity for a living that has already done a lot of damage to his body...
You don't think it's stressful to participate in a death defying activity for a living that has already done a lot of damage to his body? His career or life could be over in a second from a single lapse of judgement. He's living the dream, but it's still a dangerous job. He can do whatever he wants.

I would pick the USGP and Monster cup too. Between the two he could potentially make over a million. What does the motocross of nations pay out again?
Death defying is a little extreme. Every day you wake up you have defied death for another day. Think about all of the dangerous stuff you do on a daily basis and don't even realize. Drive a car on a road with hundreds of other people who you hope will follow traffic laws and pay attention, all while this elaborate electric grid is supposed to guide traffic. Eat food prepared by an anonymous human being in a kitchen where you can't see sanitation or prep quality. Park in parking garages that, as a structural engineeer friend puts it, are all faulty and broken to some degree. The list goes on and on.

Let's not sensationalize motocross for a living here.
motomike137
8/11/2017 7:04am
I assume Eli will opt out next year as well?
tingo
8/11/2017 7:09am
27 pager...again.
8/11/2017 7:13am
...every rider who thinks they have a chance at getting on a MXdN team just figured out it can be a bargaining chip for their next contract negotiation. The way it should be.
aeffertz
8/11/2017 7:46am
This interview is stupid.
PressPassP
8/11/2017 8:04am
Straight up answers,maybe Eli don't want any of Cairoli and Herlings,shame in a way because Matterly Basin is way more of US style that that most in Europe

What's the average retirement age of an Elk hunter these days? Blink
agn5009
8/11/2017 8:25am
You don't think it's stressful to participate in a death defying activity for a living that has already done a lot of damage to his body...
You don't think it's stressful to participate in a death defying activity for a living that has already done a lot of damage to his body? His career or life could be over in a second from a single lapse of judgement. He's living the dream, but it's still a dangerous job. He can do whatever he wants.

I would pick the USGP and Monster cup too. Between the two he could potentially make over a million. What does the motocross of nations pay out again?
Death defying is a little extreme. Every day you wake up you have defied death for another day. Think about all of the dangerous stuff you...
Death defying is a little extreme. Every day you wake up you have defied death for another day. Think about all of the dangerous stuff you do on a daily basis and don't even realize. Drive a car on a road with hundreds of other people who you hope will follow traffic laws and pay attention, all while this elaborate electric grid is supposed to guide traffic. Eat food prepared by an anonymous human being in a kitchen where you can't see sanitation or prep quality. Park in parking garages that, as a structural engineeer friend puts it, are all faulty and broken to some degree. The list goes on and on.

Let's not sensationalize motocross for a living here.
If I wasn't married I would probably be dead from alcohol poisoning or an STD Laughing
YamahaJT1
8/11/2017 8:35am
PressPassP wrote:
Straight up answers,maybe Eli don't want any of Cairoli and Herlings,shame in a way because Matterly Basin is way more of US style that that most...
Straight up answers,maybe Eli don't want any of Cairoli and Herlings,shame in a way because Matterly Basin is way more of US style that that most in Europe

Ahhhhhh... Heading home are ya? Lay off the booze.
YamahaJT1
8/11/2017 8:51am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 9:03am
Ruy... WTF? Perhaps apply for a U.S.A. Passport/Visa/H1-B? Jesus, I am an AMERICAN to the Nth degree and your infatuation is borderline unsavory.

We don't need to be reminded of our success. WE got this. Join through the proper channels if you must.

Pass the "TEST", join the BEST.

ruy
8/11/2017 9:01am
PressPassP wrote:
Straight up answers,maybe Eli don't want any of Cairoli and Herlings,shame in a way because Matterly Basin is way more of US style that that most...

YamahaJT1 wrote:
Ahhhhhh... Heading home are ya? Lay off the booze.

YamahaJT1
8/11/2017 9:10am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 9:12am
If only RJ could make that Parakeet /Cockatiel deal with you like Prometheus... Do not steal the WINNERS fire. Consequences, Boy, Consequences.

ehr400
8/11/2017 9:17am
I would like a rule change for the MXDN, I think whoever wins should be the host country the following year. That way there is a incentive for guys to want to do good infront of their home crowds. Maybe bring out more stars. See how pumped most of these euro chest thumpers are, knowing they have to come outside their backyard to do MXDN's. Since there is no money for winning teams, atleast give incentive to play into the previous years champions.
Bret
8/11/2017 9:37am
Some of you seem to believe that Eli was the only person involved in making the decision not to go. I'd wager that it doesn't really work like that. I say cut him some slack.
mx617
8/11/2017 10:00am
SwingHard wrote:
So how do we watch this race? Serious question here!
mx617 wrote:
Go to the mxgptv site and pay $10 or $15, whatever it is they're charging. Speaking of which, though I don't necessarily think the riders should...
Go to the mxgptv site and pay $10 or $15, whatever it is they're charging.

Speaking of which, though I don't necessarily think the riders should get paid, I don't think the teams should really be out of pocket either. At least maybe the top ten? If you make the A main your travel and expenses should be paid for the next year. I think there's gotta be enough ticket and TV revenue to cover that, no?
SwingHard wrote:
I can sit on my couch and watch Supercross live on Saturday nights,I can watch the MEC live. I can watch Red Bull SR live. Yet...
I can sit on my couch and watch Supercross live on Saturday nights,I can watch the MEC live. I can watch Red Bull SR live. Yet I cant click on my T.V. and watch,from what I read here,the most "Prestigious" race in MX live? How important is this race again?
Well I don't feel too bad for you as I can't "click on my tv" and watch any of those things live in Canada. But it's just as easy to "click on my computer" to do it. And it can be done from anywhere in the world. Maybe give that a shot and see how your couch likes it.
agn5009
8/11/2017 10:01am
ehr400 wrote:
I would like a rule change for the MXDN, I think whoever wins should be the host country the following year. That way there is a...
I would like a rule change for the MXDN, I think whoever wins should be the host country the following year. That way there is a incentive for guys to want to do good infront of their home crowds. Maybe bring out more stars. See how pumped most of these euro chest thumpers are, knowing they have to come outside their backyard to do MXDN's. Since there is no money for winning teams, atleast give incentive to play into the previous years champions.
The USA would never lose. They would absolutely positively never lose on their home soil. So it would be held in the USA every single year.

Post a reply to: Ricky Johnson on Tomac and the MXoN

The Latest