Ricky Johnson on Tomac and the MXoN

mauidex
8/10/2017 7:03pm
I get all the sides to this argument...........reality is RJ is a bitter pissed off dude that got his MX career taken, never made it in NASCAR, and finally put something together in off road trucks.............really easy to point fingers and woulda should coulda.............hes got points but he aint Tomac TODAY............I think it sucks that a guy like Tomac passes up the chance but I get it..............sucks as well that guys , and the sport, 3 DECADES ago is brought into the equation
kkawboy14
8/10/2017 7:07pm
doofy wrote:
I didn't go thru every single reply but, how would any of you guys feel if your boss approached you and said hey I need you...
I didn't go thru every single reply but, how would any of you guys feel if your boss approached you and said

hey I need you to do this additional job, that could potentially put you out of work for the foreseeable future, oh and the pay is zero.

would you jump?

at the same time every rider is in this same predicament when asked to go. however Id rather a guy that would kill for the opportunity then one who feels obligated
yak651 wrote:
Are there any Vital posters that are paid salary? I have projects where I have to work weekends, work more than 10 hours a day, travel...
Are there any Vital posters that are paid salary? I have projects where I have to work weekends, work more than 10 hours a day, travel and be away from my family and get this - get paid no EXTRA for it! It's understood that it's part of the job. Granted, probably more people that can do my job than can do Eli's, but to say others don't put in extra work for no extra pay is laughable.
And so if you could would you tell them no to some of that?
lestat
8/10/2017 7:16pm
doofy wrote:
I didn't go thru every single reply but, how would any of you guys feel if your boss approached you and said hey I need you...
I didn't go thru every single reply but, how would any of you guys feel if your boss approached you and said

hey I need you to do this additional job, that could potentially put you out of work for the foreseeable future, oh and the pay is zero.

would you jump?

at the same time every rider is in this same predicament when asked to go. however Id rather a guy that would kill for the opportunity then one who feels obligated
It's not his boss asking him to do more work , it's his country asking him to represent his nation and countrymen on the world stage .

Bit of a difference ...
lestat
8/10/2017 7:44pm
Tim Ferry tweet .

Back in my day.... it was an honor to ride for USA at Mxon.

The Shop

kiwifan
8/10/2017 7:47pm
doofy wrote:

would you jump?

lestat wrote:
It's not his boss asking him to do more work , it's his country asking him to represent his nation and countrymen on the world stage...
It's not his boss asking him to do more work , it's his country asking him to represent his nation and countrymen on the world stage .

Bit of a difference ...
yup, thats a good point
kiwifan
8/10/2017 7:47pm
lestat wrote:
Tim Ferry tweet .

Back in my day.... it was an honor to ride for USA at Mxon.
thats right, pay or no pay....
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/10/2017 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2017 8:03pm
Situational action comparisons from two different era's is nearly impossible. Huge varible differences.

Moot point.
Hut
8/10/2017 8:01pm
I wonder how many more people MX Large can interview about Eli? What a douche
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
8/10/2017 8:27pm
mx317 wrote:
When RJ said he won the last race and the title because Barnett was hurt and wasn't there in his rookie year is not the way...
When RJ said he won the last race and the title because Barnett was hurt and wasn't there in his rookie year is not the way I remember it. Barnett won every race until that race and broke his collarbone before the last race with the title already wrapped up. Did I read that wrong?
Definitely weird. Either it's a miss quote or something was lost in translation.

RJ won his first moto win at the 125 National at Carlsbad in 81 (O'Mara won the overall (his first)). Barnett won every other 125 National that season.

RJ almost won the 1982 250 National title but lost to Donnie Hansen in the infamous Castle Rock Colorado National front wheel explosion.

1983 was written off due to a dislocated hip.

1984 RJ won the 1984 250 National title over Lechien by 8 points. Barnett was in the class but finished 5th 127 points behind RJ.
F.B
8/10/2017 8:49pm
F.B wrote:
http://gatedrop.com/mxon-jeff-ward-tomac&253A%25

Damn! Wardy now: "...Eli needs a safe space"
DonM wrote:
And who's site is that from?...Mr stir the pot...MXDouche JR...All he does is try to create an us vs them scenario for clicks on his site...did...
And who's site is that from?...Mr stir the pot...MXDouche JR...All he does is try to create an us vs them scenario for clicks on his site...did he personally do these interviews or did he take excerpts out of someone else's interview and make it look like his own....not that he's ever done that before...
You never know with mccread, but I think the interview is legit this time.
dkg
8/10/2017 8:55pm
To those defending Eli and those crucifying him, just some thoughts:

1. It is Eli's life, he can decide what to do with it. We may not be happy about it, but, we really don't know all the facts. To hate on him for his decision is a pretty extreme way to express disappointment.

2. Eli has a job, most here have jobs, in most cases I'd wager to the individual involved the job is equally difficult. Eli's just pays better than most.

3. Not everything of value has financial compensation tied to it. Hell if this is the case, the human race would have expired long ago as kids generally don't result in a high level of financial return.

4. Those that go on to be the "greats" of any area of endeavor seem to always put forth that little extra effort.

5. Whether Eli's choice is the right or wrong one will be determined by the passage of time. He made the decision and will be evaluated based on it. Interestingly enough, he is the one impacted by it also.

So, let's get the best team we (USA) can and reclaim the trophy. This entire Eli stream has kind of ran its course.
Hut
8/10/2017 9:01pm
Elk season > des Nations
jeffro503
8/10/2017 9:05pm
robkinuk wrote:
Well said RJ! Wonder if Tomac would have chickened out if the race was still at Glen Helen? Even if he's the fastest rider for 2018...
Well said RJ!
Wonder if Tomac would have chickened out if the race was still at Glen Helen?
Even if he's the fastest rider for 2018 edition in US, I hope Roger snubs him. A line has been drawn.
Why can't he go Elk hunting for 2 weeks after Nationals finish then step up for the MXDN in 3rd week?
Probably not. You know... Since he waxed every GP dude there like it was a Sunday practice session. Oh....but wait , those guys weren't trying , cause it didn't matter. Right? Whistling

You should be thankful he isn't racing it. Would of pushed your country out of the top 10 probably?
Ted722
8/10/2017 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2017 9:10pm
mx317 wrote:
When RJ said he won the last race and the title because Barnett was hurt and wasn't there in his rookie year is not the way...
When RJ said he won the last race and the title because Barnett was hurt and wasn't there in his rookie year is not the way I remember it. Barnett won every race until that race and broke his collarbone before the last race with the title already wrapped up. Did I read that wrong?
Definitely weird. Either it's a miss quote or something was lost in translation. RJ won his first moto win at the 125 National at Carlsbad in...
Definitely weird. Either it's a miss quote or something was lost in translation.

RJ won his first moto win at the 125 National at Carlsbad in 81 (O'Mara won the overall (his first)). Barnett won every other 125 National that season.

RJ almost won the 1982 250 National title but lost to Donnie Hansen in the infamous Castle Rock Colorado National front wheel explosion.

1983 was written off due to a dislocated hip.

1984 RJ won the 1984 250 National title over Lechien by 8 points. Barnett was in the class but finished 5th 127 points behind RJ.
Yes, lost in translation. Here's the original:

"For me winning the first championship, even though Mark Barnett wasn’t there, he was injured, but in my rookie year I won the last race in Carlsbad and got the title, then also winning my 1984 250 National championship..."

Here's my interpretation:

"For me winning my first moto (in my rookie year) at Carlsbad, even though Mark Barnett wasn’t there, he was injured, winning the last race (USGP) in Carlsbad, then also winning my 1984 250 National championship..."
NorCal 50+
8/10/2017 9:30pm
mx317 wrote:
I'm with you - that sounded incorrect to me, too. I don't think RJ won his first title until '84.
I believe he lost the last round in '82 with the broken wheel and Hansen won. Then in '83 he dislocated his hip and almost ended his career. Comes back and wins it in '84. He had some gnarly challenges even early in his career.
SwingHard
8/10/2017 9:48pm
bayodome wrote:
Last year Tomac stated the same reasons for not going. No surprise he chose to skip it again. Bummer, but I'm still watching the race no...
Last year Tomac stated the same reasons for not going. No surprise he chose to skip it again. Bummer, but I'm still watching the race no matter who attends for the US. It's just a cool event.
So how do we watch this race? Serious question here!
jeffro503
8/10/2017 9:57pm
bayodome wrote:
Last year Tomac stated the same reasons for not going. No surprise he chose to skip it again. Bummer, but I'm still watching the race no...
Last year Tomac stated the same reasons for not going. No surprise he chose to skip it again. Bummer, but I'm still watching the race no matter who attends for the US. It's just a cool event.
SwingHard wrote:
If you're in Robinuk's country....you ain't gonna wanna watch it.
mx617
8/10/2017 9:59pm
bayodome wrote:
SwingHard wrote:
Go to the mxgptv site and pay $10 or $15, whatever it is they're charging.

Speaking of which, though I don't necessarily think the riders should get paid, I don't think the teams should really be out of pocket either. At least maybe the top ten? If you make the A main your travel and expenses should be paid for the next year. I think there's gotta be enough ticket and TV revenue to cover that, no?
Sargent Rock
8/10/2017 10:04pm
Fake news.

Tomac can do whatever he wishes. No one will remember either way in 5 plus years.
agn5009
8/10/2017 10:19pm
Fake news.

Tomac can do whatever he wishes. No one will remember either way in 5 plus years.
I don't think you know what fake news is.
APLMAN99
8/10/2017 10:46pm
Falcon wrote:
I've kept my mouth shut about all this, but I feel like Eli is a letdown. I am at work or doing work 65 hours a...
I've kept my mouth shut about all this, but I feel like Eli is a letdown.

I am at work or doing work 65 hours a week and I only get 2 weeks off per year. And I ride/race/train, raise children, and manage a household with my wife ON TOP of all that.
To say you need a break from the "grind" of a dream job, wherein you make, quite literally, more than 100 times the money I do, from which you will retire 20 years before I do, even though I started my professional career fifteen years before you did, is a cop out. Plain and simple. Eli, you are a huge disappointment to American motocross fans.

I bet if Roger D. asked Bob Hannah to go race today, for nothing more than patriotic pride, he'd stinkin' do it.
I don't really care who races for team USA as I'm Canadian but comparing your day job to a professional athlete is laughable.
Falcon wrote:
Laugh if you must, but it's a very valid comparison. I am not a professional athlete and I do not undergo the stresses of that job...
Laugh if you must, but it's a very valid comparison. I am not a professional athlete and I do not undergo the stresses of that job, but neither is Eli a working stiff going through the stresses that I do. Profession to profession, his deal is way sweeter than mine. I don't buy the argument that it's "too much" for a professional athlete to be a professional year-round. After all, that's what they do for a living. A very good living.

I don't have to train nearly hard as he does, but I train as hard/often as I can and I don't get to ride a motorcyle as a job.
I don't have to travel as much, but I still have to travel. Some of us regular joes travel more.
I don't risk severe injury as pointedly as he does, but he gets paid 100 times better than I do. Read that part again.
I wake up as early as Eli does and work a longer day.
I deal with the kind of bullshit that his business manager takes care of for him.

And here's the kicker: I, like most Americans, get fewer vacation days than he does.

To compare my athletic ability or my MX skills to his would be laughable. To compare my day job to his is quite valid.

I think that you are vastly underestimating the amount of work that a guy like Eli puts in to his "work"......

I would bet that he cruises past that 65 hour mark during the "off season", let alone during the racing schedule.

And stress doesn't necessarily go down simply because you have people helping with some aspects of your work. I've got a direct assistant and three "foremen" plus a full time in house accountant and my stress level is maxed out.
8/10/2017 11:16pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Probably not. You know... Since he waxed every GP dude there like it was a Sunday practice session. Oh....but wait , those guys weren't trying...
Probably not. You know... Since he waxed every GP dude there like it was a Sunday practice session. Oh....but wait , those guys weren't trying , cause it didn't matter. Right? Whistling

You should be thankful he isn't racing it. Would of pushed your country out of the top 10 probably?

8/10/2017 11:45pm
don't forget guys, tomac's brother serves our country. the air force i believe? that's the one thing that stands out to me in regards to him not going that i think is strange...seems to me with his father representing usa and brother serving, it wouldn't even be an option for him to not go
robkinuk
8/11/2017 12:16am
bayodome wrote:
SwingHard wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Seems some Vitards and American riders only are interested in this unique event when they are favourite's to win but hey ho you have the Monster cup and now the Red Bull Straight Rythmn for your short attention span fix.Dry
Let's not forget the MXGP boys also race 17 events over a whole weekend, Saturday qualifying races, rather than just compressed into one day like your Nationals.

tommyjif
8/11/2017 12:38am
yak651 wrote:
What injury is Eli coming back from?
He is coming from the injury of showing the world his mental inability to deliver results under stress. It's called the Dungeybite sindrome :D

Apparently if it gets associated with the Cairoli, Hearlings and Gajser bite it can be career ending, so that's why he wants to skip it...

burnside
8/11/2017 12:59am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 4:13am
I suspect this wouldn't sting so hard for the US fans if he refused to ride the USGP also - for the same reasons. The fact he's riding that virtually pointless race (for him), shows you this decision is largely about business. I mean, where is the motivation to ride the USGP but not Des Nations?

Money talks I guess.
8/11/2017 1:00am
SwingHard wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
robkinuk wrote:
Seems some Vitards and American riders only are interested in this unique event when they are favourite's to win but hey ho you have the Monster...
Seems some Vitards and American riders only are interested in this unique event when they are favourite's to win but hey ho you have the Monster cup and now the Red Bull Straight Rythmn for your short attention span fix.Dry
Let's not forget the MXGP boys also race 17 events over a whole weekend, Saturday qualifying races, rather than just compressed into one day like your Nationals.

Yeah because only Americans are interested in the Monster Cup and Straight Rhythm... right. Pretty sure the current world champion was supposed to race the Monster Cup just a year ago was he not?

And no one's forgetting what the GP guys do, I just think that's a stupid argument because the whole argument is not about who has the most actual race time on a dirtbike. All these guys ride a shit ton so another 30 minute race really doesn't matter, it's being prepared for the specific events and the fact of the matter is American riders have to be prepared for more high level event's than GP riders.
Bultaco
8/11/2017 1:01am
I'm just wondering if Eli could change the oil while he's under there.
David934
8/11/2017 1:50am
Sully wrote:
But it bothers Eli. Different strokes for different folks, and all that... Every single question in that interview was about what a pussy Eli and the...
But it bothers Eli. Different strokes for different folks, and all that...

Every single question in that interview was about what a pussy Eli and the current generation are, and how badass RJ was back in his day. RJ has never been shy about speaking his mind, but that was just another shitty reactionary interview by Geoff.
GuyB wrote:
Yeah, the questioned were definitely teed up for RJ.
Something stinks here
8/11/2017 2:21am
Acidreamer wrote:
Good god people how many of you work overtime year round with no vacation. I cant blame him. Its not a hobby. Its a job. No...
Good god people how many of you work overtime year round with no vacation. I cant blame him. Its not a hobby. Its a job.

No way in hell would i work overtime all year round and never take vacations. Breaks are what keeps people sane.
Whats your job?

Post a reply to: Ricky Johnson on Tomac and the MXoN

The Latest