Rick Johnson uncut interview.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/2/2018 12:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2018 12:33 PM

I haven't seen this here. If it's a repost, I apologize.
Interesting chat about 80's, MXdN team Puerto Rico, current riders, etc..

|

10/2/2018 12:52 PM

I could smell the A747 through the screen watching that.

Nice find!

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

10/2/2018 1:29 PM

Thank you, sende. Very interesting.

|

10/2/2018 2:27 PM

Photo
|

10/2/2018 3:39 PM

That dude, to me,was the GOAT, I grew up idolizing him, I started riding Honda’s because of him. Wish I could go back to those days. Rick Johnson legend!!!!!!

|

10/2/2018 4:18 PM

"As soon as the helmet comes off, they're eating a rice cake... boring as hell"
Amazing!

|

10/2/2018 4:53 PM

Des Nations... exactly. RJ gets it, why do so many people not?

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

10/2/2018 5:33 PM

Spent his legendary career battling and usually beating a long list of other legends. If not for Danny Storbeck's double jump who knows where RJ would be at in wins.

|

10/2/2018 9:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2018 9:02 PM

For anyone who hasn't already seen it, this video Fasthouse put out of Sean Collier interviewing RJ is a must watch...

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

10/2/2018 10:02 PM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

For anyone who hasn't already seen it, this video Fasthouse put out of Sean Collier interviewing RJ is a must watch...

Sort of off topic, but the whole Fasthouse After Hours series was really good. Hopefully they can put more out in the future, because Collier is a surprisingly good interviewer.

|

10/3/2018 4:02 AM

RJ is my favorite of all time. His performance at Unadilla in 87 is all you need to know about him.

|

10/3/2018 4:49 AM

First moto race, Silverdome '88. RJ wins. Always a huge RJ fan, that dude beat the best whenever and wherever.

|

10/3/2018 1:06 PM

My hero racing/growing up in the 80's. Thank you for posting.

|

10/3/2018 1:44 PM

Just wanted to add like a lot of you....love RJ!

McGrath gets all the credit but Too Hip was by far unmatched by anyone of any era for his style, personality, and charisma. Always the best spoken and most honest. He was confident without coming across as a dick like Hannah.

Just go watch Profile of a Champion. The nunchucks, the break dancing, surfing. That opening scene where he jumps up the cliff just gave me goosebumps as a 9/10 year old. It made me want to be a Motocross racer and be like Rick. We grow older and we’re still big fans of the sport, but eventually the riders just become fast kids. No group of riders will ever be as polarizing and have an impact on your life the way those did back in the mid to late 80s (if you’re 39ish like me now).....back when racing was rarely on tv and you spent your lawn mowing money on the new issue of mxa to stare at the SX photos and Fox ads. Those guys (RJ, Ward, Lechien) were just so out of touch to most of us and we couldn’t go online 24/7 or follow them on instagram. We were hungry for little interviews in the magazines or a signed program at a sx.

To me from 86-until the spring of 89 RJ was bigger than MC ever was, RC, RV or Stew at their peaks.

Calling out the guys at the Rodil Cup....his class at Maggiora a few years ago at the Des Nations where he declined to ride a lap since David couldn’t. The list goes on...

Thanks Bad Boy

|

10/3/2018 2:51 PM

wpark89 wrote:

McGrath gets all the credit but Too Hip was by far unmatched by anyone of any era for his style, personality, and charisma. Always the best spoken and most honest. He was confident without coming across as a dick like Hannah.

Just go watch Profile of a Champion. The nunchucks, the break dancing, surfing. That opening scene where he jumps up the cliff just gave me goosebumps as a 9/10 year old. It made me want to be a Motocross racer and be like Rick. We grow older and we’re still big fans of the sport, but eventually the riders just become fast kids. No group of riders will ever be as polarizing and have an impact on your life the way those did back in the mid to late 80s (if you’re 39ish like me now).....back when racing was rarely on tv and you spent your lawn mowing money on the new issue of mxa to stare at the SX photos and Fox ads. Those guys (RJ, Ward, Lechien) were just so out of touch to most of us and we couldn’t go online 24/7 or follow them on instagram. We were hungry for little interviews in the magazines or a signed program at a sx.

To me from 86-until the spring of 89 RJ was bigger than MC ever was, RC, RV or Stew at their peaks.

Calling out the guys at the Rodil Cup....his class at Maggiora a few years ago at the Des Nations where he declined to ride a lap since David couldn’t. The list goes on...

Thanks Bad Boy

Agree with all points. I first remember RJ from a clip in the Motorock 2 video when he was just starting his '86 rampage. He was the epitome of cool back then.

|

10/3/2018 3:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2018 3:32 PM

Back in the summer of 1983, Johnson and his dad would show up at South Bay Speedway in Chulajuana on Wednesday nights and make us local heros eat his roost.

To make matters worse, he was driving his brand new 84 Toyota 4x4 (with a “NO Kukes” license plate). At the time those trucks were brand new, and while everyone wanted one, no one could get them, except of course Rick.

His most common method of ruining my confidence was to start backwards on the pro gate, wait till the pack was well into the third corner, then take off from the start a half lap behind.

He would be in the lead by the end of the second lap.

I realized right then I needed to stay in college.

|

10/3/2018 7:06 PM

Unadilla 250 GP 1989 post wrist injury. RJ smokes the field including JMB. I always wondered what the record books would look like if His wrist didn't get destroyed. He might have been "The King" and "The Goat".

|

10/3/2018 7:09 PM

|

10/3/2018 7:20 PM

Brent wrote:

Back in the summer of 1983, Johnson and his dad would show up at South Bay Speedway in Chulajuana on Wednesday nights and make us local heros eat his roost.

To make matters worse, he was driving his brand new 84 Toyota 4x4 (with a “NO Kukes” license plate). At the time those trucks were brand new, and while everyone wanted one, no one could get them, except of course Rick.

His most common method of ruining my confidence was to start backwards on the pro gate, wait till the pack was well into the third corner, then take off from the start a half lap behind.

He would be in the lead by the end of the second lap.

I realized right then I needed to stay in college.

Wow! I read this 2 times! Love this post!!

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

10/3/2018 7:41 PM

And RJ is so right about the rice cake interviews, interviews nowadays BLOW!!!!!

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

10/3/2018 10:07 PM

Very good story teller! Fun interview, I enjoyed it.

|

10/3/2018 10:27 PM

Fonzarelli wrote:

Spent his legendary career battling and usually beating a long list of other legends. If not for Danny Storbeck's double jump who knows where RJ would be at in wins.

Him and Danny were friends. And Danny never said he was sorry.

|

10/3/2018 10:56 PM

motomike137 wrote:

Unadilla 250 GP 1989 post wrist injury. RJ smokes the field including JMB. I always wondered what the record books would look like if His wrist didn't get destroyed. He might have been "The King" and "The Goat".

Imagine if he had started his career on Hondas! Basically beat Hanson on an RC250 on the turd '82 YZ, and then Beats Dogger on an RC250 with a production '84 YZ. Had he been on Hondas from the start, under RD's wing, and then never breaks his wrist, the history of our sport would look quite different. I guess if and buts........

|

10/3/2018 11:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2018 11:38 PM

wpark89 wrote:

Thanks Bad Boy

What's funny is that I think RJ and Bailey are the best things on Instagram. RJ is still hilarious and Bailey is full of old school insight. Reading a couple good posts from them just puts me in a good mood. I'd much rather see that than some dude jumping something on a 450.
LMAO "Even Geboers, a little brash little arrogant prick." RJ has a way of saying things that are so funny, you know he means no disrespect to Geboers, RIP.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.