Rick Elzinga update

DonM
9/28/2021 2:20pm
Man I love this story and everything Brent did but why does some of the Euro press (especially Mcreed) have to turn it into a US vs GP debate? I know that has always been Mcreed’s MO but damn let’s just talk about the cool story…
Brent
9/28/2021 2:48pm
DonM wrote:
Man I love this story and everything Brent did but why does some of the Euro press (especially Mcreed) have to turn it into a US...
Man I love this story and everything Brent did but why does some of the Euro press (especially Mcreed) have to turn it into a US vs GP debate? I know that has always been Mcreed’s MO but damn let’s just talk about the cool story…
Why do people love conflict?

Us versus Them sells views.

Everyone wants to think their motocross series has the superior riders, be it Americans or Europeans.

But the truth is both series have racers roughly equal in talent, but that is boring as shit, so...

The Shop

chump6784
9/28/2021 3:25pm
DonM wrote:
Man I love this story and everything Brent did but why does some of the Euro press (especially Mcreed) have to turn it into a US...
I didn't see it as a negative comparing the US and MXGP, to me it was interesting hearing the opinion from someone who has raced both at the pro level.
roninho
9/29/2021 11:38am
DonM wrote:
chump6784 wrote:
I didn't see it as a negative comparing the US and MXGP, to me it was interesting hearing the opinion from someone who has raced both...
I didn't see it as a negative comparing the US and MXGP, to me it was interesting hearing the opinion from someone who has raced both at the pro level.
Thats also how i saw it, not negative.
9/29/2021 11:45am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2021 11:50am
DonM wrote:
no problem with this at all , just honest questions with no negativity towards any side of the pond

euro goes USA , people ask about differences in tracks , conditions etc etc compared to euro
euro comes back to euro , people ask about differences in tracks , conditions etc etc compared to euro

Shawn142
9/30/2021 9:19am
Matthes, the story to tell was not the results or being Dutch, it was a person helping another in such a passionate way. Can’t believe you...
Matthes, the story to tell was not the results or being Dutch, it was a person helping another in such a passionate way. Can’t believe you are missing this
But that's the story of most guys that come over here from other countries to race. Some like Mathias Jorgensen last year funded it on his own and lived out of a Sprinter van, others have someone on this side helping them make it work logistically. I don't remember any of them getting this kind of love on here. The thing that makes this one different to you the guy funding it is on this forum giving you inside information about it.
Brent
9/30/2021 1:02pm
Shawn142 wrote:
But that's the story of most guys that come over here from other countries to race. Some like Mathias Jorgensen last year funded it on his...
But that's the story of most guys that come over here from other countries to race. Some like Mathias Jorgensen last year funded it on his own and lived out of a Sprinter van, others have someone on this side helping them make it work logistically. I don't remember any of them getting this kind of love on here. The thing that makes this one different to you the guy funding it is on this forum giving you inside information about it.
Jorgensen was pretty good when I saw him last - San Diego Supercross where he finished 8th in the 250 main.

I love to see any talented guy make the trip to the USA from wherever to try his hand at our series, some of those kids in Europe now are just like Ferrandis was when he came over.

If you have more good international riders coming to race in the USA, then you have more people watching our Nationals from outside the USA. That is healthy for this sport.

But I think Rick is different from some of the other riders that have come here, he is in the top 3 right now in his series, and he is being courted by a couple of factory teams in Europe because of his showing in the AMA national series.

I guess we will see how he does this weekend in Germany - he has learned that AMA 250 racing is a 30 minute balls to the wall sprint unlike GP motocross, hopefully he can use that technique to get a good finish.

MXMattii
9/30/2021 4:00pm
Someone who deserves a shot just like Elzinga is Cyril Genot, he rides ADAC series on a 350cc machine and is a real beast if we talk about sand tracks. A one off event in Southwick and maybe also Millville would be perfect for him... He finished great at his first MXON attempt and DNF in his second heat because of technical problems (his gear leverage was broken off).
Jstarling81
9/30/2021 4:03pm
MXMattii wrote:
Someone who deserves a shot just like Elzinga is Cyril Genot, he rides ADAC series on a 350cc machine and is a real beast if we...
Someone who deserves a shot just like Elzinga is Cyril Genot, he rides ADAC series on a 350cc machine and is a real beast if we talk about sand tracks. A one off event in Southwick and maybe also Millville would be perfect for him... He finished great at his first MXON attempt and DNF in his second heat because of technical problems (his gear leverage was broken off).
I think he is on a 450? At least that’s what he told me.

Cyril is great, super fast, very humble, works hard. Would love to see him race here. He would surprise some people
MXMattii
9/30/2021 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2021 4:28pm
I think he is on a 450? At least that’s what he told me. Cyril is great, super fast, very humble, works hard. Would love to...
I think he is on a 450? At least that’s what he told me.

Cyril is great, super fast, very humble, works hard. Would love to see him race here. He would surprise some people
It could indeed be that he's riding a 450, and everything you say is true: He's very fast (especially on sand tracks, but racing the ADAC' series he learned a lot about racing hard pack), he works hard, has a very supportive family but not the richest family that is also why he isn't in the World Championship (no sponsorship money or private money to buy him a seat). If he would race Southwick he would surprise a ton of people because he can finish top ten there and on the other tracks I dunno that all depends on how he copes with the weather.

crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
9/30/2021 5:53pm
MXMattii wrote:
Someone who deserves a shot just like Elzinga is Cyril Genot, he rides ADAC series on a 350cc machine and is a real beast if we...
P6 in moto 1 at mxdn. I was waiting for him to drop down the rankings every lap but he never did. Not sure what happened in his second moto. He was in the top 10 again early but then had a DNF
DeStouwer
9/30/2021 11:53pm
MXMattii wrote:
crusty_xx wrote:
P6 in moto 1 at mxdn. I was waiting for him to drop down the rankings every lap but he never did. Not sure what happened...
P6 in moto 1 at mxdn. I was waiting for him to drop down the rankings every lap but he never did. Not sure what happened in his second moto. He was in the top 10 again early but then had a DNF
He hit his clutchlever with his knee, after which it broke off. A few corners later he got stuck in the mud and it was impossible to get out of it without his clutch.
10/1/2021 1:35am
MXMattii wrote:
He was the guy, kid at the time, who made the flat out around Lierop videos on his YZ125.
VanDan
11/8/2021 5:37am
Thats great Brent. Does that mean the talks of coming back here to the states in December has ended?
Brent wrote:
Rick wants very badly to come back in December and train for Supercross here in California. When he does, it will probably be on another bike...
Rick wants very badly to come back in December and train for Supercross here in California. When he does, it will probably be on another bike color.

He REALLY wants to race full time here, as he has grown to love the USA and the lifestyle.

...but he also wants to be paid, and since there are no offers from US based teams yet, his best bet is to do another year in MXGP and and get great finishes first, kind of like Hunter Lawrence did.

There is interest from a huge name in Europe - time will tell if it works out.

If Rick signs with a European team for 2022, he would have to get permission to train in California for Supercross.

They are on a plane now headed toward Holland as of an hour ago -

Did the interest from a huge name come through? Is Rick coming over to practice SX in December?
MXMattii
11/9/2021 4:37pm
He signed an other deal for EMX250 but with a team who pays all his costs and probably him too. (That is what he told me) He couldn't say more but he said that he was happy and that the press release would come soon.

Post a reply to: Rick Elzinga update

The Latest