Rhythm Sections Suck

crt32
Edited Date/Time 2/10/2021 12:44pm
We have talked about it for years, but something needs to be done. These tracks are garbage. Not enough dirt and 450s turn the rhythms into just a few jumps. I feel like the start straight jumps over the years are almost identical. Triple here, throw table in the middle, triple out. They need to make more turns or put awkward spaces in between the jumps to change it up. As hyped as I am for supercross to start its already getting boring in my opinion.
|
JT Moto
2/2/2021 7:56pm
You’re right! Let’s just go back to April when the season was halted, we had no racing and put on lockdown. Yup, this sucks.
norcal racer
2/2/2021 8:23pm
Might just be me but I actually would rather watch racing how that Charlotte GP was! I thought that night was super entertaining being a hybrid track. But I’m not complaining. I love watching both SX and MX how it is
STLSharky
2/3/2021 9:55am
crt32 wrote:
We have talked about it for years, but something needs to be done. These tracks are garbage. Not enough dirt and 450s turn the rhythms into...
We have talked about it for years, but something needs to be done. These tracks are garbage. Not enough dirt and 450s turn the rhythms into just a few jumps. I feel like the start straight jumps over the years are almost identical. Triple here, throw table in the middle, triple out. They need to make more turns or put awkward spaces in between the jumps to change it up. As hyped as I am for supercross to start its already getting boring in my opinion.
No worse than Monster trucks that have shut of tethers and they can only give them the gas for 2 seconds
then they shut off.

The Shop

2/3/2021 10:59am
Yeah. They need to take some inspiration from the old Mickey Thompson Ultracross races. A bunch of boner air singles to flat. At least that's what it was back then. Who would dare to scrub a jump like that today?
Highflier
2/3/2021 11:57am
What if they just had a flat area they rode around on?

No jumps, no sand, no tufblocks, no flaggers = no complaints
bigk218
Fantasy
3159th
2/3/2021 12:27pm
crt32 wrote:
We have talked about it for years, but something needs to be done. These tracks are garbage. Not enough dirt and 450s turn the rhythms into...
I agree. The tracks seem painfully generic. I’m not asking for water pits and log crossings. But the “suercross triple” and standard combination of singles and tabletops are getting old. But it’s just a traveling circus chasing 30 second lap times For “tv”.
2/3/2021 12:56pm
bigk218 wrote:
I agree. The tracks seem painfully generic. I’m not asking for water pits and log crossings. But the “suercross triple” and standard combination of singles and...
I agree. The tracks seem painfully generic. I’m not asking for water pits and log crossings. But the “suercross triple” and standard combination of singles and tabletops are getting old. But it’s just a traveling circus chasing 30 second lap times For “tv”.
Draw up a track design without those obstacles.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
2/3/2021 1:04pm
not sure why you are getting so many downvotes. the bikes have evolved, the technology has improved (data) and the riders have evolved, but the tracks have not.

What would have taken 3 or 4 leaps in the past are now done in 2. Everyone is so good that they are all doing the same rhythm.

I dont know what the answer is, but the tracks need to change. Steeper jumps, not going up and down 6 lanes, obstacles we havent seen in awhile (steep-ass step up/down), but something that isnt the congo line that it is today
fourfourone
2/3/2021 1:06pm
Tracks need to be longer. No reason the guy in 8th should be passed by the leader almost every race now.
face biter
2/3/2021 1:28pm
That ultracross video had a great feature, why not have a mogul or whoop section on the start about 30 feet off of the gate?
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
2/3/2021 1:57pm
Tracks with less flow, same jumps but placed to interrupt flow, will lead to the riders having to be more creative. It might suck but it would be different.

2/3/2021 2:12pm
i see the haters have showed up. Don't let them get you down.

The tracks SUCK.

with "standardized" distances and obstacles, these guys have replicated the obstacles at home and 1/2 of the obstacles are for show as the winner AND the lcq racer are hitting the same rhythms. That's why you get 40s lap times.

The solution is odd-ball distances between obstacles, turns, and jumps that allow the top guys to go big, and the lcq guys to be more reserved. But they won't. And they'll just keep losing viewers.
EngIceDave
2/3/2021 2:15pm
So, we going with the sharks with lasers pit and a big ol mud hole?

How about dogs on chains? They have to ride through a series of snarling dogs.

Shot of tequila a lap? That might be better than a rhythm section, huh?
2/3/2021 2:16pm
I say they replicate that Ultracross track EXACTLY and run it.

Guaran-fucking-t we would have better racing than the standard obstacle tracks we have seen lately.
EngIceDave
2/3/2021 2:18pm
How come they don't race in hallways?
That would increase lap times
SoCalMX70
2/3/2021 2:29pm
Well strap in because judging by the track maps we are in for this bland shit for at least the next few races.

Literally not a single interesting rhythm section. 100% cookie cutter.

Need some inspiration? Watch ANY race between 1998 and 2009. Remember the rider designed tracks in '09 anyone? St Louis?
visser62
2/3/2021 2:34pm
This is why to me outdoors will always be better. There's more separation between the racers, and the fastest guy has a much better shot of coming through the pack. I hate in Supercross when there's hardly any difference in speed and nowhere to pass. And yes, I know SOME guys can sometimes come through the pack, but it's not every weekend.
EngIceDave
2/3/2021 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2021 2:34pm
Each Covid ticket pod gets one paint ball gun and 50 paintball pellets, so make it last!
rileymx
2/3/2021 2:35pm
i like to see all the creative excuses that people make up here, to justify what is happening in sx these days, specially the ones about the track, as if they had ever build a sx track or even have an idea of what it takes to build one....
as much as people can go around with this, it will always end up on the accepting that the 450s have outgrown the possibilities of building a track inside a baseball/football arena ....
in the 450 class everybody does the same combinations, rarely we see something that only the best can attempt, but in the 250 class it is normal for that to happen, and thats what makes the 250 racing much more intense and exciting....
EngIceDave
2/3/2021 2:35pm
By the way, y'all do realize they only had 48 hours to change the track, right?
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
2/3/2021 3:00pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Thought we were talking about every race this season, and the last 5 years or so, not just yesterday.

Look, it’s clear, you don’t have a problem with the tracks.
2/3/2021 3:16pm
The tracks are shorter and similar this year because they have to build 3 tracks in a week at the same location. So the goal is to make the tracks easier to change to the next layout. If they can reuse the se rhythm section, that is time they can spend on something else. These are COVID tracks, and when life gets back to normal, so will the layouts.
EngIceDave
2/3/2021 3:17pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Thought we were talking about every race this season, and the last 5 years or so, not just yesterday. Look, it’s clear, you don’t have a...
Thought we were talking about every race this season, and the last 5 years or so, not just yesterday.

Look, it’s clear, you don’t have a problem with the tracks.
Do you have a solution?

I haven't seen it
Motodave15
2/3/2021 3:20pm
Glad i didn't bring it up, But i believe the silver bullet to solve the issues lies with a few things.

1. They really need to bring back elevated corners that are off-camber and no berm on the outsite, I have no idea why these went away right around 2010.

2. Moguls. yes they kind of go down to one line, however if they block lines in practice they could force them to create multiple lines.

3. Fingers, I still remember (Thrills spills n chills, jeff wards crash out of them)

4. They need to interrupt turns because of the bikes powers... so say if its a 180 degree turn, they need to add about a bike length of flat surface approx 6 to 7ft the middle part will have no berm....so make the turn 90degree flat then another 90degree...(with a turn like that on a dirtbike you open up about 4 to 6 passing/ blockpass/re-pass/takeout options).

5. On the exit of some turns put in a sharp tall whoop, that the rider will have to wheelie over, or lose alot of time going up and over... like a smaller wall.. ( I hate the big walls because they become 1 lined) but no matter what it messes up the timing for the next section.

- Part of me really believes the tracks are this lame is because Feld wants a controlled cost on dirt for planning reasons.

Also with track design, they need to do more split sections with different timings that equal the exact time <----- (This would require actual testing somewhere)

Motodave15
2/3/2021 3:21pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Do you have a solution?

I haven't seen it
I have solutions, its just that

1. It will cost money.
2. Im not in the industry to have a say so.
3. People dont like change.
2/3/2021 3:24pm
crt32 wrote:
Indy has been better than Houston imo but ya the tracks have been nothing special. Nothing to really separate the riders. Everyone just does the same thing through the rhythm sections.
2/3/2021 3:40pm
2005-2010 had the best tracks IMO
Would love to see them replicate some of those tracks..
That year where the pros designed the tracks was great too!

Post a reply to: Rhythm Sections Suck

The Latest