Rex Staten on The Whiskey Throttle Show

Related:
Create New Tag

3/15/2020 8:10 AM

https://m.

&t=3892s

They don’t make guys like this anymore.
|

3/15/2020 8:32 AM

"They don't make guys like this anymore"

You can say that again! Looking forward to the watch...

|

(The preceding post by Indian Dunes 4ever is heavily laced with Cognitive Bias)


3/15/2020 8:48 AM

GL needs a ‘Stache

|

3/15/2020 9:35 AM

My son told me one of his friends worked with a guy that said he raced MX. Said his name was Staten? I said as in Rocket Rex! He said ya So I told him he was a gnarly racer from the 70's. His friends said he's the old guy on the job and out works all the 20 yr olds into the ground.

|

3/16/2020 7:37 PM

cz2crf2wc wrote:

My son told me one of his friends worked with a guy that said he raced MX. Said his name was Staten? I said as in Rocket Rex! He said ya So I told him he was a gnarly racer from the 70's. His friends said he's the old guy on the job and out works all the 20 yr olds into the ground.

Doesn't surprise me... This guy is tough as nails. In the show he explains how he told his step-son how he's too much of a mama's boy to race motocross, lol. Cut from a different cloth.

|

3/16/2020 7:43 PM

This was good. I'm a pussy.

|

3/16/2020 8:01 PM

The man's a legend! He's one of those guys that just looks like a straight up badass!

|

3/16/2020 8:02 PM

We’re all pussys.

|

3/16/2020 9:19 PM

Man, there was a classic photo of him back when... After a crash and back in the race. No visor, no mouth guard (maybe no goggles?) and he just has the look of KILL in his eyes. Wish I could find it.

|

3/16/2020 9:35 PM

Found it! (Sorry, not sure who shot it.)

Photo

|

3/16/2020 9:38 PM

cz2crf2wc wrote:

My son told me one of his friends worked with a guy that said he raced MX. Said his name was Staten? I said as in Rocket Rex! He said ya So I told him he was a gnarly racer from the 70's. His friends said he's the old guy on the job and out works all the 20 yr olds into the ground.

dpingree101 wrote:

Doesn't surprise me... This guy is tough as nails. In the show he explains how he told his step-son how he's too much of a mama's boy to race motocross, lol. Cut from a different cloth.

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing
|

3/16/2020 11:26 PM

Good to see an old school racer on your show. The dude was speaking my lingo..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

3/16/2020 11:57 PM

dpingree101 wrote:

https://m.

&t=3892s

They don’t make guys like this anymore.

To be fair, he was a rare breed back then, too.

Neither of my kids are into moto at all, much less 70s/80s moto, but when I was listening to this on the drive home from work/school last night, my 18 year old was glued in.

|

3/17/2020 12:45 AM

He's that guy you want on your side, if you were to get into a barroom brawl...

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

3/17/2020 8:48 AM

After the altercation, the wrench was never the same.
Photo


|

3/17/2020 9:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2020 9:56 PM

Sydney Showground / Speedway Supercross , 1980.

Rex won it. Marty Smith, 2nd, Gall, I think, 3rd. Now, the following could have been the next year, when Gally won it over Jimmy Weinert, but, I do think it was the first event : I went, both years.

Rex was doing 'No Handers' over a few jumps. The packed stands loved it.

The ACU ( MA now) officials, didn't. So, they tried to stop Rex from doing it.

Rex just said something along the lines of " the wind was taking his hands from the bars, and he couldn't help it" . Buggerall "wind", was present. And, he may have added a few other choice words, when he was interviewed about the ACU hassling him, and the crowd certainly showed whose side they were on, quite voiciferously.

|

3/17/2020 9:23 AM

FWYT wrote:

Found it! (Sorry, not sure who shot it.)

Photo

Just badass to the BONE!

|

(The preceding post by Indian Dunes 4ever is heavily laced with Cognitive Bias)


3/17/2020 10:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2020 10:10 AM

Photo

Will have to give it a listen! I have gotten to know Rex fairly well over the last few years and he’s always got some funny stories to tell. As a kid, I remember him for being an ex-pro hardworking blue collar pipe-fitter and showing up to CMC and beating up on the younger guys, like Billy Frank in 500cc Pro in the late 80’s! He’s been generous to me with knowledge and offering up old parts and such, and I consider him a friend. This poster from the Thought Factory company, titled “Dust Cloud”, circa 1973 hangs in my office along with some original stickers tucked into the edge of the frame. Awhile ago I asked Rex where the photo was taken and I believe he said it was out behind Ontario Speedway. He also said he hated the gloves back then so he rode and raced without them! That was a 1972 CZ400 he was on and the jersey was from Triumph - Suzuki of Pomona, who sponsored him at the time. It’s been a few months since I’ve spoken with Rex, so I’ll have to give the podcast a listen, then call him after and bust his chops about it!
|

Do It In The Dirt!

3/17/2020 10:13 AM

FWYT wrote:

Found it! (Sorry, not sure who shot it.)

Photo

Indian_Dunes_4ever wrote:

Just badass to the BONE!

The look on his face says when he catches you he going to eat your liver then bang your wife.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

3/17/2020 10:44 AM

FWYT wrote:

Found it! (Sorry, not sure who shot it.)

Photo

Open-face helmet...visor gone...goggles jettisoned...WFO on a 500 2-stroke factory monster...bad ass.

Is there any current rider who even remotely captures the spirit of Rocket Rex? To me there's only one who comes to mind, but he just had to retire.

|

3/17/2020 12:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2020 12:39 PM

Just finished listening.... another phenomenal interview guys! Rex epitomizes old school cool...not something we see anymore. I found a number of things he and I have in common. A tough father, strong sense of responsibility, never did drugs of any kind (but I do drink!), kind until you **** with me or mine. Rex is exactly how the world was before the internet.... it was all face to face and you better have been able to back up your mouth/actions. There were REAL consequences...

Ping you 100% nailed it with your comments on today's generation....

|

(The preceding post by Indian Dunes 4ever is heavily laced with Cognitive Bias)


3/17/2020 2:26 PM

Rex is one cool dude. I worked with him a few years back. Old school, great stories.

|

3/17/2020 3:03 PM

Lake Whitney National or TransAMA in late 70's...

Rocket Rex was on a Harley. My best friend Ben was a huge fan of his.

Right at the end of the second moto we snuck into the pits and was at his box van when he pulled up.

He threw his bike on the stand, turned around to my friend (who had been waving and hollering in the same corner all moto), and says to Ben "Hey I saw ya waving, I was going as hard as I could".

He was cool enough to acknowledge a 14 year old kid after the second 45 minute + 2 lap moto in the Texas heat.

|

3/17/2020 3:52 PM

Before my first race, my parents said we should go watch a race first. It was 1972 and I was 12 years old. We went out on a Friday night to Corona raceway. When the pros came out to race they let the rubberband go and all of the racers took off except one. The announcer said, what is Rocket Rex Staten doing? Rocket Rex sat there until all of the riders had gone completely around the first turn. Then he slowly took off clicked it into second gear rode a wheelie through the gears into the first turn. He took off and very quickly caught and passed everyone and won with a big lead. That was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my life and couldn't wait to race.
Rex was a big hero of mine and I would see him race all of the time at the local tracks, like Corona, Saddleback, and Carlsbad. 7 1/2 years after watching him that Friday night I was going fairly fast myself especially at Corona Raceway. I was able to beat Rocket Rex straight up for the 250 pro overall. I did one more time about 2 months later. I think knowing Rocket Rex would probably take me out big time helped me go so fast! Rex is total old school moto and one very cool dude.

|

3/17/2020 4:13 PM

abn166 wrote:

Before my first race, my parents said we should go watch a race first. It was 1972 and I was 12 years old. We went out on a Friday night to Corona raceway. When the pros came out to race they let the rubberband go and all of the racers took off except one. The announcer said, what is Rocket Rex Staten doing? Rocket Rex sat there until all of the riders had gone completely around the first turn. Then he slowly took off clicked it into second gear rode a wheelie through the gears into the first turn. He took off and very quickly caught and passed everyone and won with a big lead. That was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my life and couldn't wait to race.
Rex was a big hero of mine and I would see him race all of the time at the local tracks, like Corona, Saddleback, and Carlsbad. 7 1/2 years after watching him that Friday night I was going fairly fast myself especially at Corona Raceway. I was able to beat Rocket Rex straight up for the 250 pro overall. I did one more time about 2 months later. I think knowing Rocket Rex would probably take me out big time helped me go so fast! Rex is total old school moto and one very cool dude.

Gonna say this where it's true and not the usual snarky retort.... Cool Story, Bro!

|

(The preceding post by Indian Dunes 4ever is heavily laced with Cognitive Bias)


3/17/2020 8:04 PM

I was up at Mammoth and it was 2000 or 2001. I look around in the pits (after my moto) and I see Staten getting ready for his moto. Sitting on the back of his pickup, checking tear offs and relaxed as all get out. No one around him, just him and his pickup up at altitude. He hopped off the tailgate, grabbed his KX500, fired it to life and took care of business. He had/has a presence and it was/is something to behold. Legend.

|

3/17/2020 8:48 PM

Legendary

|

3/17/2020 9:19 PM

Another great one Ping/GL!

I love listening to the older moto guys. Modern is still cool, but 90s and back moto seems to have a romance too it...

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


3/17/2020 9:20 PM

|

3/17/2020 10:41 PM

Did the topic of Gary Jones' bikes and stuff getting sold out from under him come up? Rex had some strong feelings about that in some of his Facebook posts.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”