Retailers/individuals selling on Ebay question

Moto96
Can you buy off Ebay with just a membership to Ebay like you would from their site direct?

Same with individual sellers? For example a guy selling on oversized gas tank. Can you just buy it or does everything have an auction?
|
jeffro503
9/19/2018 9:51am
If it has a " buy it now " option and you have just a standard eBay account , yeah you can buy it. That's all I've ever had , but it's also been a while since I have bought anything off there.
rmoto003
9/19/2018 9:51am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 9:55am
**** oof, too slow ****
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
9/19/2018 9:55am
you can message the seller and ask to change to buy it now and usually they will..i have done this a few times.
SEE ARE125
9/19/2018 10:12am
Sometimes the “Buy It Now” will be “Buy It Now for $xx.xx or best offer”, in which case you could make an offer and see if they accept it. I haven’t used eBay in a long time either. Seems eBay doesn’t know if it wants to be Craigslist or Amazon.

The Shop

Moto96
9/19/2018 10:46am
Good info. Is credit card best, or paypal or ????

lumpy790
9/19/2018 10:59am
There are 3 different versions of eBay sales that can be chosen by the seller.
Buy it now with an advertised price
Make offer
Auction where you bid till the last second.

Credit card is processed through paypal.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
9/19/2018 11:34am
What is this "ebay" you talk about? Some kind of new website?...All sounds really confusing..

Do they accept checks? Unsure

mxrose3
Fantasy
1116th
9/19/2018 11:52am
Moto96 wrote:

create a paypal account. It works the best on ebay, and it just draws from your bank account or cc anyway when you use it.
If you ever decide to sell something on there, you get money deposited into your paypal account. At which time, you can transfer it to your bank account, or buy other things on ebay with it.
lumpy790
9/19/2018 12:48pm
Brad460 wrote:
What is this "ebay" you talk about? Some kind of new website?...All sounds really confusing..

I remember those days Laughing
KDXGarage
9/19/2018 1:58pm
I think one needs to be an eBay member to buy something off eBay.

One does not need to be a PayPal member in order to make a purchase with a credit card. It is usually processed through PayPal or in some rare instances, a seller is a real store and let's his / her current credit card processing company do the processing.

About 98% of items on eBay are "Buy It Now", whether with or without a "Make Offer" option.

I think that if people want something that is not rare or hoping to get it for dirt cheap, they are usually fine with Buy It Now.
mxtech1
9/19/2018 1:58pm
I can remember getting money orders to mail to a seller and then they would ship your parts when the money order cleared. Talk about slow!!
Moto96
9/19/2018 7:02pm
Brad460 wrote:

Haha. Everyone has posted some great info. I'm learning. I've never bought anything online except retailer direct. Never ebay.
motogrady
9/19/2018 7:14pm
Moto96 wrote:

mxrose3 wrote:
create a paypal account. It works the best on ebay, and it just draws from your bank account or cc anyway when you use it. If...
create a paypal account. It works the best on ebay, and it just draws from your bank account or cc anyway when you use it.
If you ever decide to sell something on there, you get money deposited into your paypal account. At which time, you can transfer it to your bank account, or buy other things on ebay with it.
I quit selling stuff there a few years back.
Always had 100% positive feedback.
PayPal can and does hold your payment from the buyer for a lot of bullshit reasons, for weeks or months.
Plus, there are a lot of hidden eBay fees.
Then packaging and shipping costs.

List something on eBay for 100 bucks, you're lucky
to net 70.
barnett468
9/19/2018 7:19pm
unless they changed the rules, you also have to be a paypal member to buy or sell on ebay but you do not have to use paypal to buy or collect payments.
APLMAN99
9/19/2018 7:35pm
The mortgage sales business has gotten so bad that premixjunky is liquidating everything on eBay?
mister2dt
9/19/2018 7:39pm
I stopped using ebay and paypal years ago when i got hacked and had paypal take $9600 out of my checking account for a “fraudulant sale.” Even after getting the police involved, a thorough investigation with the police clearing me, proving i didnt list the item, i didnt collect the money, i had nothing to do with it. Paypal refused to refund me my money. Ebay banned me from using the site.

Fast forward 6 years, i make custom bicycle hubs. I work a deal out for a company in norcal that is mini specific, kids 10 and under, frames, cranks, they make all the small stuff, except hubs. I design them and make 20 sets of test hubs. Ship them out, they pay by paypal. A week later, paypal takes $8800 out of my account with no warning. I get an email from paypal stating the transaction was disputed by the buyer as product not as advertised.... THEY WERE PROTOTYPE HUBS!!!! I countered the dispute ams asked for the hubs back. Dude prints a shipping label and sends an empty box back. No sig required. I contact paypal, let them know dude stole the hubs and got his money back. They respond with, trscking says the package was delivered. Case closed. Fuck paypal
motogrady
9/19/2018 8:01pm
mister2dt wrote:
I stopped using ebay and paypal years ago when i got hacked and had paypal take $9600 out of my checking account for a “fraudulant sale.”...
I stopped using ebay and paypal years ago when i got hacked and had paypal take $9600 out of my checking account for a “fraudulant sale.” Even after getting the police involved, a thorough investigation with the police clearing me, proving i didnt list the item, i didnt collect the money, i had nothing to do with it. Paypal refused to refund me my money. Ebay banned me from using the site.

Fast forward 6 years, i make custom bicycle hubs. I work a deal out for a company in norcal that is mini specific, kids 10 and under, frames, cranks, they make all the small stuff, except hubs. I design them and make 20 sets of test hubs. Ship them out, they pay by paypal. A week later, paypal takes $8800 out of my account with no warning. I get an email from paypal stating the transaction was disputed by the buyer as product not as advertised.... THEY WERE PROTOTYPE HUBS!!!! I countered the dispute ams asked for the hubs back. Dude prints a shipping label and sends an empty box back. No sig required. I contact paypal, let them know dude stole the hubs and got his money back. They respond with, trscking says the package was delivered. Case closed. Fuck paypal
Holy crap.
I must admit, it is a good place to find obscure stuff.
U want a part for an old bike, good chance it's there.

But, like mister2 says, it's all about the buyer.
It's almost like you're thought of as a criminal just for being a seller. You have the product, you put pictures up, you ship it, and it's still not enough for some.

Hate to say it, but I've scrapped some stuff for 10 cents on the dollar rather than deal with eBay and PayPal, as a seller, lately.
lukaitis9
9/20/2018 10:30am Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 10:33am
I've selling random stuff on there for years. Decals, old motocross toys, etc.

Not really a business but not bad for clearing out some room in the attic and making a couple of bucks.

Here is what I have listed right now - https://www.ebay.com/usr/lukaitis9
mxrose3
Fantasy
1116th
9/20/2018 10:54am
mister2dt wrote:
I stopped using ebay and paypal years ago when i got hacked and had paypal take $9600 out of my checking account for a “fraudulant sale.”...

motogrady wrote:
Holy crap. I must admit, it is a good place to find obscure stuff. U want a part for an old bike, good chance it's there...
Holy crap.
I must admit, it is a good place to find obscure stuff.
U want a part for an old bike, good chance it's there.

But, like mister2 says, it's all about the buyer.
It's almost like you're thought of as a criminal just for being a seller. You have the product, you put pictures up, you ship it, and it's still not enough for some.

Hate to say it, but I've scrapped some stuff for 10 cents on the dollar rather than deal with eBay and PayPal, as a seller, lately.
I've sold bike parts on there from time to time. 90% of the time I don't have an issue with the buyer. But there is that 10% that try to hose you.
I stopped selling anything out of the continental USA because I had people say they didn't receive the item, yet the tracking only would say that it was delivered to the local countries post office. Went on for months, but ended up having to refund the guy the money and they never found my package. My fault I guess - should have insured it.
Moto96
9/20/2018 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 12:55pm
barnett468 wrote:
unless they changed the rules, you also have to be a paypal member to buy or sell on ebay but you do not have to use...
unless they changed the rules, you also have to be a paypal member to buy or sell on ebay but you do not have to use paypal to buy or collect payments.
Im just looking at buying. Mostly stuff for projects. 1980-2000

I found two links saying you can buy without Paypal using debit ir CC, but either way it automatically signs you up for a PayPal account once you purchase.

https://www.paypal.com/fm/smarthelp/article/do-i-need-a-paypal-account-…

A new PayPal account will automatically be created for you when you make your first purchase, even if you did not previously have an account with PayPal. You will be able to use this account for future purchases. Plus, you won’t need to enter your credit card information again after the first time.
barnett468
9/20/2018 12:28pm
Moto96 wrote:
Im just looking at buying. Mostly stuff for projects. 1980-2000 I found two links saying you can buy without Paypal using debit ir CC, but either...

I found two links saying you can buy without Paypal using debit ir CC, but either way it automatically signs you up for a PayPal account once you purchase.

A new PayPal account will automatically be created for you when you make your first purchase, even if you did not previously have an account with PayPal. You will be able to use this account for future purchases. Plus, you won’t need to enter your credit card information again after the first time.
that figures, typical racket
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/20/2018 12:34pm
mister2dt wrote:

Damn. I used to sell a lot and stopped this year. About two months ago I was hacked and someone listed and sold a few grand worth of shit. Even after fighting it they have sent me to a debt collector so not only did my credit take a hit, I have to pay it back. Fuck em
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/20/2018 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 12:36pm
Moto96 wrote:
Im just looking at buying. Mostly stuff for projects. 1980-2000 I found two links saying you can buy without Paypal using debit ir CC, but either...

barnett468 wrote:
You can just pay with a card as a guest. Simple and done.
Moto96
9/20/2018 12:58pm
Moto96 wrote:

barnett468 wrote:
imoto34 wrote:
You can just pay with a card as a guest. Simple and done.
Yes, but it automatically signs you up for Paypal. You just don't have to use "Paypal" for the purchases which kinda sucks.

Post a reply to: Retailers/individuals selling on Ebay question

The Latest