Restoring a white fuel tank

Robgvx
7/16/2018 9:33am
Typically, I'm always one of the first guys to chime in on these posts saying "Fuel/premix permeates the white plastic; it can be made better but...
Typically, I'm always one of the first guys to chime in on these posts saying "Fuel/premix permeates the white plastic; it can be made better but not perfect like other color tanks"

I'd heard about this peroxide/UV light method....... and a dude on a vintage KTM group I'm in on Facebook just did it. I must say, results look impressive!! For such a cheap and easy method. Here is what the dude said:

I used a peroxide cream level 40 from Sally's Beauty Supply ($5.00). I slathered it all over the tank, wrapped it in cellophane, then place it in the sun for 12-16 hrs. I repeated this three times. It's not perfect but it is an improvement. I will probably try some wet sanding next

Before:

After:

Product:

If the discolouration comes from inside the tank then the filler cap and the part under the logo badge wouldn’t be white.

Discolouration is external and can be sanded/polished out.
3/30/2020 10:08pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
Don’t let anyone tell you that the yellowish/brown color goes all the way through the plastic. I’ve wet sanded several white tanks now, and it has...
Don’t let anyone tell you that the yellowish/brown color goes all the way through the plastic. I’ve wet sanded several white tanks now, and it has proven that this is not the case. Must have something to do with fuel and UV light.

They will never be as bright white as brand new, but you can make them look pretty damn good, usually. Takes a lot of time, but it’s worth the effort when a replacement isn’t available.
I’m having the same issue with my YZ490. Tried everything from bleach to hydrogen peroxide with celofane + multiple days in the sun. Now I’ve decided to sand it but have only noticed a 5% improvement. Am afraid to keep sanding and end up damaging the tank. Very frustrating..,

I am now sanding it but it improved 5% so far and am afraid to keep going and ruin the tank. Have you ever sanded a tank too much and ended up having to replace it?
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/30/2020 10:52pm
MXD wrote:
I’m about to embark down the road of restoring my first dirt bike from my childhood. The first question I have is what can be done...
I’m about to embark down the road of restoring my first dirt bike from my childhood. The first question I have is what can be done about the yellowing tank? The tank is no longer available so I’m hoping there is some treatment that can be done to restore the white plastic color.
Really don't like being the resident pessimist but the two white tanks that I have tried to clean up in the past was a failure. We tried just about everything including HTH/Chlorine which got the surface a little whiter but it was never anything near to a new tank.

Wish you all the best.
Scott_Bate
3/30/2020 11:41pm
I am not sure if you have this in the States or not but I used Gumption on my 96 CR125 tank back in the day and it came up pristine every time.

The Shop

3/31/2020 12:12am
Scott_Bate wrote:
I am not sure if you have this in the States or not but I used Gumption on my 96 CR125 tank back in the day...
I am not sure if you have this in the States or not but I used Gumption on my 96 CR125 tank back in the day and it came up pristine every time.
Thanks. How did you apply it and how hard was it to remove the yellow stains?
chaseodc
3/31/2020 4:19am
Search vapor honing on YouTube. They do a CR white airbox and some boots and they come out fantastic. I do somewhat recall someone mentioning doing a yellowed tank as well with this method.

Post a reply to: Restoring a white fuel tank

The Latest