Restoring a white fuel tank

MXD
Edited Date/Time 3/31/2020 4:19am
I’m about to embark down the road of restoring my first dirt bike from my childhood. The first question I have is what can be done about the yellowing tank? The tank is no longer available so I’m hoping there is some treatment that can be done to restore the white plastic color.
|
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
7/6/2018 3:06pm
Check in the old school moto forum if you haven’t already. I’ve heard of guys sanding the tanks to get them back to white but I’ve also heard this makes them much more prone to cracking so not the best idea if you plan to ride it.
plowboy
7/6/2018 3:06pm
Try this question over at bike builds or tech section. Those guys know all the tricks.

The Shop

plowboy
7/6/2018 3:28pm
The yellowing isn't just on the surface. It's caused by fuel permeating the plastic. There may be some sort of plasticoat available but I think that's about it.
Deja New
7/6/2018 3:28pm
White rit die would be my first choice. If not successful use a razor to scrape a thin film of and learn to plastic polish this is much harder. Die will be you best and nicest option you tube it.
plowboy
7/6/2018 3:29pm
Too add. That's why race fuel is in a metal can instead of plastic.
B DUB 333
7/6/2018 3:33pm
I've always wondered if filling it with bleach would work. I want a white red yz but man they all have yellow tanks
7/6/2018 4:26pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
I've always wondered if filling it with bleach would work. I want a white red yz but man they all have yellow tanks
Clarke makes tanks for i think every year of red/white yz.
newmann
7/6/2018 4:32pm
plowboy wrote:
The yellowing isn't just on the surface. It's caused by fuel permeating the plastic. There may be some sort of plasticoat available but I think that's...
The yellowing isn't just on the surface. It's caused by fuel permeating the plastic. There may be some sort of plasticoat available but I think that's about it.
But when you remove the graphics it is a whole lot whiter underneath. You be seen some white ones cleaned up to a certain point, but don’t get your hopes up too much.
newmann
7/6/2018 4:34pm
MXD wrote:
I’m about to embark down the road of restoring my first dirt bike from my childhood. The first question I have is what can be done...
I’m about to embark down the road of restoring my first dirt bike from my childhood. The first question I have is what can be done about the yellowing tank? The tank is no longer available so I’m hoping there is some treatment that can be done to restore the white plastic color.
Check with DC plastics and see if they can help. I think they have actually made some plastic overlays for some tanks. Not the best route, but maybe an improvement???
ruy
7/6/2018 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2018 4:48pm
https://www.2y4t.com/foro/t/99585-devolver-el-blanco-al-deposito/

It's from a forum in Spain, you can translate it
They use hydrogen peroxide, they mix it with a porridge to eat, because if it does not evaporate very fast when you put it in the tank and it does not do the function.

If you handle it, with gloves and glasses to protect yourself

Peróxido de hidrógeno

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per%C3%B3xido_de_hidr%C3%B3geno
Bret
7/6/2018 4:47pm
MXD wrote:
I’m about to embark down the road of restoring my first dirt bike from my childhood. The first question I have is what can be done...
Unfortunately, you will never get it completely white again. The tank below was wet-sanded for many hours. I started with 220 and used finer sandpaper in increments until I ended up with 1500. Then I polished it with a buffer and some polishing compound. It yellowed pretty quickly once I started putting fuel in it even though I drained it every race. I eventually bought some perforated white tank decal sheets and covered just the sides. They eventually turned yellow and peeled. The other option I have heard of is a tank skin from DC plastics. It is a thin plastic shell that covers most of the tank. I even tried filling an ice chest with bleach and submerging the tank for a month with zero results. If the tank will never have gas in it, just paint it. If it is going to have gas in it, drain it after every ride. Best of luck.

ruy
7/6/2018 4:50pm
Before and after

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/6/2018 5:53pm
MXD wrote:
What year and model bike is it ? Clark manufacturing has a lot of tanks that they still make.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
7/6/2018 8:00pm
I've had pretty good luck with OxyClean
TM
KDXGarage
7/6/2018 10:38pm
No one stores gasoline in a Nintendo.

I have done the RetroBrite (my own version) before on an Apple IIe. It worked great, but I never stored gasoline in it.

Look on eBay, and you will see many stained tanks. Gasoline does it. I have seen several lime green tanks with a brown tint to them.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
7/6/2018 11:08pm
KDXGarage wrote:
No one stores gasoline in a Nintendo. I have done the RetroBrite (my own version) before on an Apple IIe. It worked great, but I never...

I have done the RetroBrite (my own version) before on an Apple IIe. It worked great, but I never stored gasoline in it.

Look on eBay, and you will see many stained tanks. Gasoline does it. I have seen several lime green tanks with a brown tint to them.
My apologies.
KDXGarage
7/14/2018 11:43am
plowboy wrote:
Too add. That's why race fuel is in a metal can instead of plastic.
I think it may actually be in part to the highly aromatic parts of the fuel escaping through the plastic.
plowboy
7/14/2018 12:03pm
KDXGarage wrote:
I think it may actually be in part to the highly aromatic parts of the fuel escaping through the plastic.
That's my understanding as well.
Rooster
7/14/2018 1:31pm
ToolMaker wrote:
I've had pretty good luck with OxyClean
TM
You could probably use a 30% hydrogen peroxide and get the same or better results.

Oxyclean is just peroxide once it's combined with water.
B DUB 333
7/14/2018 2:20pm
KDXGarage wrote:
No one stores gasoline in a Nintendo. I have done the RetroBrite (my own version) before on an Apple IIe. It worked great, but I never...

EZZA 95B wrote:
My apologies.
Woohoo
Robgvx
7/15/2018 12:42am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2018 2:12am
KDXGarage wrote:
plowboy wrote:
That's my understanding as well.
I’m not convinced tanks turn yellow due to fuel escaping through the plastic. I restored one and it became white again when sanded which suggests to me it was purely surface discolouration.
MXD
7/15/2018 7:20am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2018 7:25am
Awesome suggestions guys, thanks. This is a bit of an odd restoration, it's a 1986 BW80 so I don't think I'll find an aftermarket tank. Here is the short version of the story. My parents bought it brand new for me when I was 11. It was my first bike. My parents were awful people (that's a separate story for a therapist, not a moto board hahaha) and sold it out of the blue one day to the kid next door. I found out when I got home from school and he was riding it around the neighborhood. I was crushed. A few years later he gave it to his cousin and he brought it to the family camp in VT and then 20 years went by. The neighbor kid and I remained friends and at his wedding several years ago, that story came up. I asked what ever happened to the bike and he said he didn't know so we grabbed his cousin and asked him. He said he gave it to the guy across the street from the camp in VT 15 years ago but from there, he had no idea. I just said "well if you ever come across it again, let me know. I'd love to get it back". About a year went by and my friend called and said "you won't believe this but my cousin called and he said he made a few calls and found the bike. The camp neighbor tracked it down. It's on a farm in western MA and the guy said you can have it, come get it". I drove out there with the original BoS from the dealership that I'd kept all these years. When I got there we walked to the other side of the property to an old shack that was barely standing and there it was under a tarp. I knew it was mine because it still had the 1988 registration sticker on the front fender but I double checked the VIN anyway. I tried to pay him but he refused. He was just glad to see it not rot away. A few weeks later I was searching for parts and came across the blue one on CL for $50. It was missing the cylinder and a bunch of other stuff but for $50, it was a no brainer.

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
7/15/2018 9:27am
MXD wrote:
Wet sand starting with 220 and go smoother from there. Then polish it with furniture wax. I've done it a hundred times, wont be perfect but it will be nice if done right.
KDXGarage
7/15/2018 10:31am
AWESOME that you got it back!!

Look on Youtube for the video of the guy wet sanding the red Honda tank.
VetMX.com
7/15/2018 12:31pm
That is a great story. I am glad it is back with the rightful owner. Are you going to ride it or hang it on the wall? Paint one tank and use the other when you ride.
7/16/2018 5:26am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2018 5:29am
Typically, I'm always one of the first guys to chime in on these posts saying "Fuel/premix permeates the white plastic; it can be made better but not perfect like other color tanks"

I'd heard about this peroxide/UV light method....... and a dude on a vintage KTM group I'm in on Facebook just did it. I must say, results look impressive!! For such a cheap and easy method. Here is what the dude said:

I used a peroxide cream level 40 from Sally's Beauty Supply ($5.00). I slathered it all over the tank, wrapped it in cellophane, then place it in the sun for 12-16 hrs. I repeated this three times. It's not perfect but it is an improvement. I will probably try some wet sanding next

Before:

After:

Product:

Moto Mofo
7/16/2018 7:53am
Don’t let anyone tell you that the yellowish/brown color goes all the way through the plastic. I’ve wet sanded several white tanks now, and it has proven that this is not the case. Must have something to do with fuel and UV light.

They will never be as bright white as brand new, but you can make them look pretty damn good, usually. Takes a lot of time, but it’s worth the effort when a replacement isn’t available.

Post a reply to: Restoring a white fuel tank

The Latest