Restore FMF Anodized 4.1?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/7/2021 7:52 PM

Curious if there’s a way to restore it back to blue. I only have about 20 hrs on this slip and it’s faded to gray. To be clear, I’ve lightly hit it with polish to buff out scratches, and that only aided the fading. It’s not the end of the world because I kind of like the new color, but I’m wondering if anyone ever tried to revive their pipe. Below are photos of new vs now.

Photo.

Photo

|

Two wheels, tacos, and tubes

9/7/2021 8:09 PM

Would have to strip it down, remove rivets, stickers, ect to bare Ti sheetmetal, then send it off for re-anodizing.
I'd wager at that point for labor it would be cheaper to buy a new one (minus intake and cap) at that point.
Could potentially do it at home DIY, but for that size you'll need a decent size tank and power supply (something bigger than you would do fasteners with).

|

-'09 KX500AF

- '19 KX450F

9/7/2021 8:17 PM

JBernard_401 wrote:

Would have to strip it down, remove rivets, stickers, ect to bare Ti sheetmetal, then send it off for re-anodizing.
I'd wager ...more

Given that proposed strenuous effort, as long as it continues to function as designed, I’m perfectly happy with grey lol

|

9/7/2021 8:29 PM

Also, something is up with it losing all the ano within 20hrs. Possibly your cleaner is reeking havoc on it and stripping it somehow, which is weird since Ti ano technically isn't a coating. It almost looks like you took a sos pad to it.

|

-'09 KX500AF

- '19 KX450F

9/7/2021 8:33 PM

I buffed mine with a scotchbrite pad so the entire thing is grey....I like the look of it.

|

9/7/2021 8:45 PM

I feel your pain mate!

Mine was faded and patchy after 20-25 hours as well. Its a rockstar edition and comes new with fmf. I think dirt can etch them and mess them up quite a bit, plus dirt is abrasive and you have to clean them with simple green as well but some safe detergents aren't always safe lol.

I ended up buying a new take off stock unit cheap from mx locker and imo looks a lot nicer and I actually think the bike runs cleaner with it. Nearly the same weight as well on the muffler vs stock.

|

9/7/2021 8:46 PM

austin_bo wrote:

Curious if there’s a way to restore it back to blue. I only have about 20 hrs on this slip and it’s faded to gray. To be ...more

Also, see a lot of bikes at track looking like the 2nd pic, plus, the stickers come off as well.

|

9/8/2021 6:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2021 6:28 AM

I anodized mine myself - Borax water in a bucket lined with ali foil - 2 x 12 volt batteries got me the right voltage - might have been a little low on voltage but worked fine for the blue colour ( Voltage = colour) did a test run on some bolts first - ( Was doing a re pack anyway )

Worked really well - Fun project :-) - Bought new decals

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-EASILY-Anodize-Titanium-at-Home-2-Methods/

|

9/8/2021 6:36 AM

To be that even of a color difference from new, I would assume the heat has made it grey. A cleaner or sun exposure would be very uneven.

|

9/8/2021 7:41 AM

Markee wrote:

To be that even of a color difference from new, I would assume the heat has made it grey. A cleaner or sun exposure would be ...more

I think the color shift is largely contributed to the polish I used, albeit light usage. I’ve sprayed the pipe with WD40 previously, and it would temporarily change the color until the pipe heated up. My understanding of anodization was pretty elementary, and I have to assume that the mild abrasiveness of the metal polish wiped away the blue coating. Lesson learned… just glad I still like the look.

|

9/8/2021 9:23 AM

they fade. i have two for the same bike. on bike in this pic has 1.5hrs on it, the one i'm holding up to it has 28hrs. no cleaner used except for muc-off and slick foam spray cleaner. color loss is very uniform. it's equally lightened/grey under the area the decals were previously.

Photo

|

9/9/2021 5:31 AM

best option is to buy a new one, clean up your old one and sell it. Hopefully you can get 60% of the new pipes cost.

To my knowledge this is one reason Pro Circuit doesn't do coatings, fade is natural with heat and cleaning chemicals just speed up the process.

|

9/10/2021 11:25 AM

Cerakote it black with some fresh FMF stickers maybe?

|

9/10/2021 1:29 PM

I painted mine.
Photo

|

Thanks for your Support
100%, Mobius, Sunstar, Pirelli, Odi, Acerbis, Beck's Tech Suspension and Tuning, Arma Sport, Works Connection, Mojo Motorsports, Ride Engineering

9/10/2021 3:54 PM

austin_bo wrote:

Curious if there’s a way to restore it back to blue. I only have about 20 hrs on this slip and it’s faded to gray. To be ...more

Hit up Donny Emler Jr on Instagram @fmflild and he can help

|

9/10/2021 10:53 PM

Read this industry article for the lowdown on the process:

https://www.besttechnologyinc.com/surface-finishing/titanium-anodizing-equipment/

|

11/25/2021 2:47 AM

This happened to me with a new RCT. bike has maybe 7 hours on it. I contacted FMF and they said send pics...which I did. They also said they they never heard of this happening, at least from the individual I spoke with. We'll see.

|

"A rule is a rule and without rules, there is Chaos"....Cosmo Kramer

11/25/2021 3:00 AM

Off topic but all pipe/silencer MCFs need to simplify silencer repacking and increase silencer can/end cap fastener quality. FMF, PC, Yosh all have room for improvement for those who maintain their own bikes.

|