Replace female interviewers with retired ex-rac

Joko
Fantasy
233rd
Edited Date/Time 6/9/2013 7:38pm
I'd rather see retired ex-pro racers (Kdub, Holley, MC, Hughes, Lamson, Bradshaw, Dowd, anyone) interview the racers on the podiums, at starting lines, pits, etc. than the current female interviewers on NBC/Fuel coverage. We would get a better depth/quality of info and insight from both sides of the conversation than the usual Erin-type "Take us through the moto.." or "what does this podium finish do for you" or "talk about your start" or "talk about you pass on.." or "Tyler Ratway, whats your take away with your performance"... yeesh, a female chimp wearing a flowered bikini could conduct a better interview.

I assume the only reason for these women interviewers are to improve the attention of the male audience, but they're not that good-looking .... it's like hearing your sister who knows nothing at all about the sport trying to fake a conversation on it ... very annoying. The Monster/Rockstar girls are good to have there, but don't give them a speaking part.
|
Outsider
6/8/2013 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2013 7:25pm
Agreed

"So you just got 2nd again... what's it going to take for you to win one of these?"

derp
BobbyM
6/8/2013 7:28pm
Joko wrote:
I'd rather see retired ex-pro racers (Kdub, Holley, MC, Hughes, Lamson, Bradshaw, Dowd, anyone) interview the racers on the podiums, at starting lines, pits, etc. than...
I'd rather see retired ex-pro racers (Kdub, Holley, MC, Hughes, Lamson, Bradshaw, Dowd, anyone) interview the racers on the podiums, at starting lines, pits, etc. than the current female interviewers on NBC/Fuel coverage. We would get a better depth/quality of info and insight from both sides of the conversation than the usual Erin-type "Take us through the moto.." or "what does this podium finish do for you" or "talk about your start" or "talk about you pass on.." or "Tyler Ratway, whats your take away with your performance"... yeesh, a female chimp wearing a flowered bikini could conduct a better interview.

I assume the only reason for these women interviewers are to improve the attention of the male audience, but they're not that good-looking .... it's like hearing your sister who knows nothing at all about the sport trying to fake a conversation on it ... very annoying. The Monster/Rockstar girls are good to have there, but don't give them a speaking part.
Well hell if you'd rather see them they should do it. Bet they're looking into it as soon as they saw it was you posting yer opinion today. Probably be a done deal by the next race.
Switch
6/8/2013 7:37pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2013 7:38pm
Joko wrote:
I'd rather see retired ex-pro racers (Kdub, Holley, MC, Hughes, Lamson, Bradshaw, Dowd, anyone) interview the racers on the podiums, at starting lines, pits, etc. than...

They get the questions to ask from producers (those are headphones, not ear muffs Smile ). What are you expecting? Bradshaw to say "Ok Dunge, another second on the day, but I have to ask.. how bad do you want to nail this blonde in the bikini right here in front?"

Maybe we don't need better people asking the questions, it might be the people writing the questions.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/8/2013 7:40pm
Switch wrote:
They get the questions to ask from producers (those are headphones, not ear muffs :)). What are you expecting? Bradshaw to say "Ok Dunge, another second...
They get the questions to ask from producers (those are headphones, not ear muffs Smile ). What are you expecting? Bradshaw to say "Ok Dunge, another second on the day, but I have to ask.. how bad do you want to nail this blonde in the bikini right here in front?"

Maybe we don't need better people asking the questions, it might be the people writing the questions.
The "it comes from the producers" has been a standard response forever. But I've sat in press conferences with Erin when she's asked really good questions...and no headset was in sight. So I don't buy the argument.

The Shop

Switch
6/8/2013 7:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2013 7:46pm
Switch wrote:
They get the questions to ask from producers (those are headphones, not ear muffs :)). What are you expecting? Bradshaw to say "Ok Dunge, another second...

GuyB wrote:
The "it comes from the producers" has been a standard response forever. But I've sat in press conferences with Erin when she's asked really good questions...and...
The "it comes from the producers" has been a standard response forever. But I've sat in press conferences with Erin when she's asked really good questions...and no headset was in sight. So I don't buy the argument.
So she asks good questions in press conferences and the same old "take us through.." on the podium when someone is talking in her ear.... I think you are helping the arguement that you don't buy. Unless of course the questions in the press tent at pre-written, and if thats the case, carry on.
6/8/2013 7:53pm
talk about a bunch of crybabies...seriously do you need to be entertained every second like a 4 year old?

Life isn't perfect...deal with it!
jimmie
6/8/2013 8:16pm
Always a pleasure to look at pretty women, but yeah, the ex moto dudes doing the interviews just might work too, just not in the visual part............know what I mean?
ando
6/8/2013 8:44pm
Be careful what you wish for. I'd rather watch a female that makes the odd mistake vs an ex-rider that struggles to put a sentence together.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/8/2013 8:53pm
Switch wrote:
So she asks good questions in press conferences and the same old "take us through.." on the podium when someone is talking in her ear.... I...
So she asks good questions in press conferences and the same old "take us through.." on the podium when someone is talking in her ear.... I think you are helping the arguement that you don't buy. Unless of course the questions in the press tent at pre-written, and if thats the case, carry on.
I think you assume you know stuff that you may be incorrect about. In that case, you're correct. Carry on.
Hut
6/8/2013 9:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2013 9:11pm
I've said it before. I think it would be an improvement if they had someone like Holley do the interviews with a trophy girl holding the mic.
edit - Georgia Lindsey 'nuff said
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
6/8/2013 9:13pm
ando wrote:
Be careful what you wish for. I'd rather watch a female that makes the odd mistake vs an ex-rider that struggles to put a sentence together.
During the Supercross season RC & Emig would interview the heat race winners right after they pulled off the track ... it was an honest, frank dialogue on what just transpired that was refreshing.

The heat race winner being interviewed respected the person asking the question and gave a better answer, knowing a canned answer wouldn't be fitting. Kind of like a "peer-to-peer" conversation instead of "subject matter expert speaking to a layman" that is happening with the current female interviewers attempting to get info out of the racers.

NFL coverage also has female interviewers that have the same situation... I believe many of the players do not give a true response because they don't relate on a common perspective...
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2797th
6/8/2013 9:18pm
Maybe the the ex-pros should be the producers. That way we might actually be able to watch the important battles
ando
6/8/2013 9:22pm
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Maybe the the ex-pros should be the producers. That way we might actually be able to watch the important battles
That would be higher on my list of things to fix.
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
6/8/2013 9:27pm
Jamie Little was my favorite by far. She actually sounded like she knew what she was talking about.
Hut
6/8/2013 9:32pm
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Agree! at least get someone in there that is in tune with what's going on.
bent valves
6/8/2013 10:00pm
NO

I remember when Bob Hannah was doing Erin's job and he did a terrible job imo. Or was that for SX?

I prefer the pretty girls with bolt on's.
mx400bee
6/8/2013 10:38pm
I say get Erin, Georgia, and Kate Upton up there together. That way when RV2 waxes everybody most of the viewers will hang in there until the shows over to see that trio and help the ratings.
Switch
6/9/2013 7:58am
Switch wrote:
So she asks good questions in press conferences and the same old "take us through.." on the podium when someone is talking in her ear.... I...
GuyB wrote:
I think you assume you know stuff that you may be incorrect about. In that case, you're correct. Carry on.
I assume alot of things I am incorrect about, most do, but I don't see the point in headphones if someone isn't talking to the girls through them. Maybe they aren't telling the questions to ask, maybe they are just telling them who to interview next and where they finished or if they got the holeshot, hell I don't know. I have just always been under the assumption that the questions are pre-scripted. Really doesn't matter to me either way, I think they do a good job with what they have to work with, and that being riders trying to plug as many sponsors as possible in just a few seconds.
6/9/2013 8:14am
It's silly that MXSports pays to put the events on TV. Then you got the network who puts their trainees or apprentices to pit report, run the cameras, the ticker, production manage or whatever. Why is MX paying to be the training ground? If you just tuned in and new nothing about the sport you wouldn't noticed all the amateurism. Thank God Oakley came up with roll offs yesterday so we could see through all the shit.
jeffro503
6/9/2013 8:19am
This Erin girl is probably a really nice gal......but I'm sorry , she sucks as an interviewer in this sport. The word "Clueless" comes to mind.
Crossup
6/9/2013 8:28am
I'll take Amy that covers the GPs over Emigs "keys to winning the race" any day.

JBods
6/9/2013 9:10am
Georgia Lindsay is actually good, and easy on the eyes as well.
ford832
6/9/2013 9:32am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2013 9:34am
I don't really get any of this.I thought Erin did just fine,as did the girl last night.
What difference does it make who asks the question when most of what you get for a response is a sponsor list?
As for their abilities,it's just an mx interview anyway,not a world peace debate.Once's pretty much as good as the next imo.
The girls are far easier on the eyes than some old wrinkled up ex racer-to me anyway.I'd stick with them.Smile
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/9/2013 9:42am
I vote against this idea. The majority of ex racers have the IQ of your average 8th grader due to their spectacular education received by being on a racetrack since they were in diapers. With the girls at least we get to look at something pretty while the stupid questions are being asked. If you took the pretty pit reporters away from the 450 broadcast it would have been as entertaining as the quilting championships. I do not know if it is the bikes, the point system, riders, tracks, whatever, but that 450 class is like watching a freight train of enduro riders out on a trail ride.
6/9/2013 9:45am
I think we should stick with the girls but make them do it with a bikini top on so we have something to look at. In a related story I wish they were cool enough to embarrass Fro with some old clips from Frezno Smooth at some point.
Sandberm
6/9/2013 10:34am
I wonder what Harry Reasoner thinks about this?
70sSuperstar
6/9/2013 10:40am
i think anything beats what we had in the 70s 80s and part of the 90s.....cycle news, a week after the event.
6/9/2013 12:57pm
When you're basically given 15 seconds to get on and get off you're not going to get in depth interviews from anybody, no matter who they are. There are much bigger gripes about the broadcast that I have, like actually trying to figure out where and when it's going to be broadcast, or cutting to commercials at seemingly random times,and missing the action going down on the track, or showing the same damn two or three commercials over and over (and over and over) unless you're watching online and then it just cuts out abruptly. I don't even know why they want to interview the riders anyway since you get the same canned responses and "I can't thank..." as they awkwardly try to rattle off sponsors and pretend to take a swig of energy drink from a empty can/bottle before they get cut off.
chuck317
6/9/2013 2:32pm
i think anything beats what we had in the 70s 80s and part of the 90s.....cycle news, a week after the event.
I remember those days

Post a reply to: Replace female interviewers with retired ex-rac

The Latest