Renthal FatBar 36

1/20/2020 5:59pm
I'll ask the obvious question, why? What is 36% in terms of weight savings like 5 ounces?
aeffertz wrote:
You realize teams drill out washers to save weight, right?
offset by a litpro, gopro, watch on handlebars etc
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1228th
1/20/2020 6:41pm
No it’s not it’s marketed to the public.

Btw the bar will bend easier in a tip over
How do you know it will bend easier?
aeffertz
1/20/2020 6:49pm
offset by a litpro, gopro, watch on handlebars etc
Any weight you remove is weight removed.

The Shop

LungButter
1/20/2020 7:40pm
If I was an Extreme Enduro guy I'd jump all over these. Half pound savings that high up is a lot.

I know most extreme guys are known to ride pretty "stock" bikes but it seems to me it's a discipline where saving weight on the bike could really help.
8tensolutions
1/20/2020 9:42pm

Luxon MX wrote:
Experience in mtb bars
What MTB bars use this material? 99.9% of all high end MTB bars are carbon.
8tensolutions
1/20/2020 9:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2020 9:45pm
The same guys complaining these are "expensive" just bought $1000 exhaust systems they don't need and god knows what other BS bling items for their bike where this may provide more comfort and remove more than half a pound from their bike. If you don't want it, don't buy it, but props to Renthal for research and development and trying to improve their core product.
1/20/2020 11:53pm
Luxon MX wrote:
Experience in mtb bars
Umm. Renthal do alloy in lite and DH versions.
Lot of people don’t want carbon in Mtb components
I’ve seen enough snapped carbon cranks. Ain’t want any of that! Low BB’s are bad enough
I’ve bent plenty of MX bars too...not proud of it cause it usually was painful

PRM31
1/21/2020 3:08am
How many 450s do you see with new pipes, and riders who almost never hit the peak of power? I’d say that a good feel of the handlebars could be more important. Obviously assumes these new Renthals actually feel better.
Momus
1/21/2020 3:38am

Luxon MX wrote:
Experience in mtb bars
Those 36 bars are on mtb's? You are talking through your anus.
kb228
1/21/2020 3:57am
Experience in mtb bars
Umm. Renthal do alloy in lite and DH versions. Lot of people don’t want carbon in Mtb components I’ve seen enough snapped carbon cranks. Ain’t want...
I’ve seen enough snapped carbon cranks. Ain’t want any of that! Low BB’s are bad enough

If these new bars allow more flex it goes to show it can bend easier. Twinwalls are stiff and do not bend as easy. Hes not wrong. Tbh bars bend all the time and are a replaceable part. Buy cheap bars if youre concerned about bending a lot. These new bars are performance only - for pros. Not us weekend warriros
Momus
1/21/2020 4:10am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2020 4:13am
kb228 wrote:
If these new bars allow more flex it goes to show it can bend easier. Twinwalls are stiff and do not bend as easy. Hes not...
If these new bars allow more flex it goes to show it can bend easier. Twinwalls are stiff and do not bend as easy. Hes not wrong. Tbh bars bend all the time and are a replaceable part. Buy cheap bars if youre concerned about bending a lot. These new bars are performance only - for pros. Not us weekend warriros
That's not necesarily how it works with things designed to flex.

Elastic deformation versus permanent yield ie 'bending' are different.

Think of springs.
kb228
1/21/2020 4:24am
kb228 wrote:
If these new bars allow more flex it goes to show it can bend easier. Twinwalls are stiff and do not bend as easy. Hes not...
Momus wrote:

Think of springs.
Renthal is saying the tensile strength is 20% stronger and elasticity is the same as their other bars.

If im understanding this correctly, they flex the same as a regular fatbar(contrary to the marketing) and require more force to actually break.

So what youre paying for is a lighter bar that will bend the same as the regular fatbar.
1/21/2020 4:38am
I thinkl the concept of their "R works" series could work (meaning they try to provide the best product without looking at the cost). There's a group of people that have the cash to put only the best/most expensive stuff on their bike.
I won't pay 250 € for a handlebar, but I'm always in favour of new technology!
1/21/2020 4:39am
Why did they keep the Fatbar name? Seems like this could get lost in the wind.
Kyle978
1/21/2020 6:00am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2020 6:00am
$180 for a handlebar ?

Ya I’m out.
Great, Tusk steel bars are for people who can’t factor better material, new tooling, 5 years of development etc. into the cost of a product.
BUTWHY?
1/21/2020 7:10am
I highly doubt Renthal is expecting this to be a huge seller, I believe it will be marketed towards the more core enthusiast. Look at it as a the Denali or King Ranch edition of handlebars. Not like they are taking away the base model edition either!
8tensolutions
1/21/2020 7:10am
Experience in mtb bars
Umm. Renthal do alloy in lite and DH versions. Lot of people don’t want carbon in Mtb components I’ve seen enough snapped carbon cranks. Ain’t want...

I apologize, in the DH and Enduro segments alloy is out there for sure, but carbon is very prevalent and I have never had a failure in more than 8 years riding 10-15 hours a week. Regardless of that, the reason for my comment was around the actual material in these new bars. They are not just aluminum, so comparing to current MTB bars is not accurate.
1/21/2020 8:42am
Why did they keep the Fatbar name? Seems like this could get lost in the wind.
Renthal Fatter Bar wouldn't make me want to buy it. It's just an R-Spec version of the Fatbar.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
1/21/2020 8:57am
They are cool, and God knows I've spent stupid money to shave small amounts of weight off or on parts that I don't need.

Here's my problem with them.
1. Can't use any other mount than renthal. (I have xtrig)
2. If you bend them on the weekend and don't have another set spare you can't run down to the closest store and pickup whatever they have in stock be it fat bar, twinwall, renthal, pro taper, tag, Mika whaterver, and continue your day or weekend. You have to have this bar specifically if they don't have it your done.

I'm sure this same issue was brought up when they first increased handlebar size, so obviously it can be worked out over time
scootch
1/21/2020 9:40am
Luxon MX wrote:
Experience in mtb bars
Momus wrote:
Those 36 bars are on mtb's? You are talking through your anus.
MTBs are currently running 31.8mm or 35mm bars (personal preference). Try using google bud
Momus
1/21/2020 9:51am
They are cool, and God knows I've spent stupid money to shave small amounts of weight off or on parts that I don't need. Here's my...
They are cool, and God knows I've spent stupid money to shave small amounts of weight off or on parts that I don't need.

2. If you bend them on the weekend and don't have another set spare you can't run down to the closest store and pickup whatever they have in stock be it fat bar, twinwall, renthal, pro taper, tag, Mika whaterver, and continue your day or weekend. You have to have this bar specifically if they don't have it your done.

I'm sure this same issue was brought up when they first increased handlebar size, so obviously it can be worked out over time
I agree with the imposition of the 36 mm bar clamp purchase.

I would be looking at turning up simple split aluminium bushings to reduce to the 31.80 size.
bird
1/21/2020 10:51am
They are cool, and God knows I've spent stupid money to shave small amounts of weight off or on parts that I don't need. Here's my...

1. If they catch on, that will change quickly.
2. Keep your old clamps in your toolbox.
1/21/2020 11:51am
I apologize, in the DH and Enduro segments alloy is out there for sure, but carbon is very prevalent and I have never had a failure...
I apologize, in the DH and Enduro segments alloy is out there for sure, but carbon is very prevalent and I have never had a failure in more than 8 years riding 10-15 hours a week. Regardless of that, the reason for my comment was around the actual material in these new bars. They are not just aluminum, so comparing to current MTB bars is not accurate.
I;ve seen carbon bars break when a bike fell over. Not for me
1/21/2020 4:45pm
kb228 wrote:
Momus wrote:

Think of springs.
These bars springs are they now! Boy
1/21/2020 5:26pm
I have to say When you think of how much money it takes in Titanium to drop this much weight I find it interesting.
I could bend a lot of these before reaching $3000, just my opinion. Change is good.

Ghost
1/21/2020 5:40pm
I have to say When you think of how much money it takes in Titanium to drop this much weight I find it interesting. I could...
I have to say When you think of how much money it takes in Titanium to drop this much weight I find it interesting.
I could bend a lot of these before reaching $3000, just my opinion. Change is good.

Ghost
Or how much it costs in tires to save this much weight? Michelin Pirelli Hoosier etc

Post a reply to: Renthal FatBar 36

The Latest