Reno Endurocross GoPros, finally made the amateur main!

JM485
9/25/2018 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2018 1:29pm
Since there's basically no coverage of the race last weekend, I figured I might as well throw my helmet cam videos up and give a little race report.

For anyone who isn't familiar with how the qualifiers work here is a quick breakdown.

- 2 timed session for heat race gate pick
- 1 I heat race for each amateur group (there were 4 in Reno), with the top 2 going on to the A main in the evening program
- 1 lcq practice, where the top two fastest times move on to the A main, 3-8 move on to the B main, and the rest end their day.

It's been a bad stretch of a few years now since I made the amateur A main that included some nasty crashes, a broken wheel, and a general lack of talent. However, this year I was finally able to make it happen by having the fastest time in the lcq practice session, and I was stoked! Seriously, you just beat the hell out of yourself in this type of racing and it's so disappointing to work so hard and not make it into the night program, so to make it happen this time was huge for me. My goal was to at least make it into the amateur B main, so making it into the A main was a huge bonus.

As far as the races go, I pretty much rode like crap.Laughing It was frustrating for me to struggle in the matrix so badly, I had it down pretty well all day, but as the temperature dropped and sap/moisture started to come out of the logs they became insanely slippery. I even made it through once in the qualifiers without dabbing a foot, which was a major accomplishment for me!Silly As you'll see I took a pretty good shot right into one when my back wheel spun on the log prior rather than lifting my front end up, that one felt great. . . I pretty much felt like I got hit by a truck the next day from that crash and all the other guys slamming into me. It's intense out there even in the amateur class and nobody will give an inch, it's not like it used to be with just a bunch of local guys running it, a lot of the class is made up of some serious racers trying to make their way into the pro main. After all was said and done I ended up 11th in the amateur A main, and took 1st in trials. It was kind of disappointing to not really have a good turnout for the trials class, but they ended up combining us with the Womens main so the track was still pretty busy. Not sure why but I got the white flag twice, hence my confusion and the confusion of the course worker as I almost ran him over. . .

https://youtu.be/gwNchkvx0rc

https://youtu.be/F3weSNKwr04

I've got to give major props to Eric Pernard (I know I butchered that spelling) the promotor, the guy is involved in the show from start to finish, and is right there on the side of the track congratulating everyone as they come off. He and the whole crew run a tight event, everything is on time, organized, and any hickups are delt with efficiently. Also, say what you want about our buddy John from the AMA, but he was out there late helping tear the track down after the event was over. I doubt that's part of his job responsibility and he was there bright and early with the rest of us amateurs for the morning qualifiers, so I think that says a lot. Overall it was a great event, I'm still hurting and sore but pretty happy with how things went. If you're located near any of these races you really need to check them out in person, I can guarantee you'll see racing that's even more exciting than your local supercross, plus you have regular spodes like myself part of the night program to provide a reference point for how good the top pros really are.

Here's a few pictures from practice and qualifying.

|
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
9/25/2018 9:12pm
Congratulations on making the main and winning the trials event!
FWYT
9/25/2018 9:57pm
Nice!!
I really want to try one of those someday. Like maybe when they have a 55+ C class!
Ted722
9/26/2018 7:09am
Went riding in the Reno area that day. Some cool single track near the "Moon Rocks" area. I guess I could say I was a "reference point" for how good some of the Amateurs were that competed in the Endurocross! Laughing

Hey Josh, what upgrades have you made to your YZ250? I know you swapped out the swing arm, but stuff like Gearing? Rekluse? Flywheel Weight? Skid plate? Etc.
DannoJ919
9/26/2018 7:44am
JM485 wrote:
Since there's basically no coverage of the race last weekend, I figured I might as well throw my helmet cam videos up and give a little...
Since there's basically no coverage of the race last weekend, I figured I might as well throw my helmet cam videos up and give a little race report.

For anyone who isn't familiar with how the qualifiers work here is a quick breakdown.

- 2 timed session for heat race gate pick
- 1 I heat race for each amateur group (there were 4 in Reno), with the top 2 going on to the A main in the evening program
- 1 lcq practice, where the top two fastest times move on to the A main, 3-8 move on to the B main, and the rest end their day.

It's been a bad stretch of a few years now since I made the amateur A main that included some nasty crashes, a broken wheel, and a general lack of talent. However, this year I was finally able to make it happen by having the fastest time in the lcq practice session, and I was stoked! Seriously, you just beat the hell out of yourself in this type of racing and it's so disappointing to work so hard and not make it into the night program, so to make it happen this time was huge for me. My goal was to at least make it into the amateur B main, so making it into the A main was a huge bonus.

As far as the races go, I pretty much rode like crap.Laughing It was frustrating for me to struggle in the matrix so badly, I had it down pretty well all day, but as the temperature dropped and sap/moisture started to come out of the logs they became insanely slippery. I even made it through once in the qualifiers without dabbing a foot, which was a major accomplishment for me!Silly As you'll see I took a pretty good shot right into one when my back wheel spun on the log prior rather than lifting my front end up, that one felt great. . . I pretty much felt like I got hit by a truck the next day from that crash and all the other guys slamming into me. It's intense out there even in the amateur class and nobody will give an inch, it's not like it used to be with just a bunch of local guys running it, a lot of the class is made up of some serious racers trying to make their way into the pro main. After all was said and done I ended up 11th in the amateur A main, and took 1st in trials. It was kind of disappointing to not really have a good turnout for the trials class, but they ended up combining us with the Womens main so the track was still pretty busy. Not sure why but I got the white flag twice, hence my confusion and the confusion of the course worker as I almost ran him over. . .

https://youtu.be/gwNchkvx0rc

https://youtu.be/F3weSNKwr04

I've got to give major props to Eric Pernard (I know I butchered that spelling) the promotor, the guy is involved in the show from start to finish, and is right there on the side of the track congratulating everyone as they come off. He and the whole crew run a tight event, everything is on time, organized, and any hickups are delt with efficiently. Also, say what you want about our buddy John from the AMA, but he was out there late helping tear the track down after the event was over. I doubt that's part of his job responsibility and he was there bright and early with the rest of us amateurs for the morning qualifiers, so I think that says a lot. Overall it was a great event, I'm still hurting and sore but pretty happy with how things went. If you're located near any of these races you really need to check them out in person, I can guarantee you'll see racing that's even more exciting than your local supercross, plus you have regular spodes like myself part of the night program to provide a reference point for how good the top pros really are.

Here's a few pictures from practice and qualifying.

Congrats on the A main. All the classes are tough. As you said they are called amateur classes but the competition is very tough in both the A and B main. The matrix is a funny thing. LOL I spend a lot of time at the races building them, watching them and helping people out of them. We can think we built an easier one and it gets super tough. its really hard to predict and the log size can be huge in certain spacing.
John is very helpful at the races and takes the matrix apart to help us out after the race. We have ranges from 2:30 til 4am in Reno when the triuck is loaded and we are finally out of there. Saturday is a long day.
For the trials race I know having two classes and the double gate drops can make it confusing on the scoring. Maybe that is why you got the white twice. But doesnt everyone want an extra lap? Smile
Eric P really does love this sport and all the people involved. And as you said he is there supporting everyone and loves to see people clean a section or maybe even a good pile up.
I'll make sure I say hi in Denver if Im picking your bike up somwhere lol

The Shop

Stuntman949
9/26/2018 8:25am
The legend of Mouzakis continues. Awesome stuff
JM485
9/26/2018 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2018 5:53am
Ted722 wrote:
Went riding in the Reno area that day. Some cool single track near the "Moon Rocks" area. I guess I could say I was a "reference...
Went riding in the Reno area that day. Some cool single track near the "Moon Rocks" area. I guess I could say I was a "reference point" for how good some of the Amateurs were that competed in the Endurocross! Laughing

Hey Josh, what upgrades have you made to your YZ250? I know you swapped out the swing arm, but stuff like Gearing? Rekluse? Flywheel Weight? Skid plate? Etc.
Hey Ted, in reality there isn’t much done to the bike. Still running totally stock motor, totally stock suspension, and even have the original plastics and graphics on it. The only real mods are as follows:

-4 stroke swing arm (highly recommended)
-Rekluse clutch, nothing fancy just the cheapest disk
-18 inch rear rim, which I like even on the track
-SXS slide plate. Have yet to see anything better on the market
-fmf turbine core silencer to make it state park legal. I actually like it because it revs very smooth.
-12 oz tmv flywheel weight
-KX High bars, because I’m right around 6.0 and like being able to bring the front up easier.
Edit: -IRC gummy rear tire and foam insert
- oversized front rotor and Honda master cylinder (YZ ones are all junk)

That’s really all I’ve done to the thing besides the obvious motor rebuilds and other maintenance necessities. I’d love to get a second set of suspension so I can have some more off-road specific stuff though. It’s tough because I ride so vastly different terrain pretty regularly, so one set of suspension just isn’t optimal for anything. It’s hard to go from endurocross one weekend to the track the next weekend and have stuff that works, but I manage with just the clickers. Now if we could just get E-start on the yz. . .
JM485
9/26/2018 12:30pm
DannoJ919 wrote:
Congrats on the A main. All the classes are tough. As you said they are called amateur classes but the competition is very tough in both...
Congrats on the A main. All the classes are tough. As you said they are called amateur classes but the competition is very tough in both the A and B main. The matrix is a funny thing. LOL I spend a lot of time at the races building them, watching them and helping people out of them. We can think we built an easier one and it gets super tough. its really hard to predict and the log size can be huge in certain spacing.
John is very helpful at the races and takes the matrix apart to help us out after the race. We have ranges from 2:30 til 4am in Reno when the triuck is loaded and we are finally out of there. Saturday is a long day.
For the trials race I know having two classes and the double gate drops can make it confusing on the scoring. Maybe that is why you got the white twice. But doesnt everyone want an extra lap? Smile
Eric P really does love this sport and all the people involved. And as you said he is there supporting everyone and loves to see people clean a section or maybe even a good pile up.
I'll make sure I say hi in Denver if Im picking your bike up somwhere lol

After doing a few laps already, hell no my tired ass did not want another lap!Laughing

Thank you guys for the work you do, I wish I could make more than one round each year but with work now and with school prior it’s tough to do a whole lot of traveling. Hillclimb is my main disciple so that takes up most of my travel time and budget.

The matrix is a strange beast for sure. I dread that thing every single lap, but I feel like if you had one to practice on consistently there is a rhythm to them that can be learned. Showing up to one race every year just doesn’t cut it when you’re trying to get through those things, especially when they change every year. I kind of like how they’re becoming a little more standard since it gives us amateurs a chance to survive, but I’d imagine the pros aren’t too happy when the track is too basic for them, so that’s got to be a tough balance to find.
JM485
9/26/2018 12:31pm
The legend of Mouzakis continues. Awesome stuff
Thanks brother. I don’t know about legend though, as I sit here eating lunch at work I don’t feel very legendaryLaughing
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/26/2018 12:37pm
Ted722 wrote:
Went riding in the Reno area that day. Some cool single track near the "Moon Rocks" area. I guess I could say I was a "reference...

JM485 wrote:
Hey Ted, in reality there isn’t much done to the bike. Still running totally stock motor, totally stock suspension, and even have the original plastics and...
Hey Ted, in reality there isn’t much done to the bike. Still running totally stock motor, totally stock suspension, and even have the original plastics and graphics on it. The only real mods are as follows:

-fmf turbine core silencer to make it state park legal. I actually like it because it revs very smooth.
-KX High bars, because I’m right around 6.0 and like being able to bring the front up easier.

That’s really all I’ve done to the thing besides the obvious motor rebuilds and other maintenance necessities. I’d love to get a second set of suspension so I can have some more off-road specific stuff though. It’s tough because I ride so vastly different terrain pretty regularly, so one set of suspension just isn’t optimal for anything. It’s hard to go from endurocross one weekend to the track the next weekend and have stuff that works, but I manage with just the clickers. Now if we could just get E-start on the yz. . .
It's nice being on the taller side for EX isn't it? Laughing

I've only ridden a buddy's EX track at his house and it was a blast, but so freakin' hard!

Congrats on making the A main dude!
chuck317
9/26/2018 2:50pm
some one forgot to let the fans in. all seats are empty
JM485
9/26/2018 4:21pm
chuck317 wrote:
some one forgot to let the fans in. all seats are empty
Pics are from practice. They actually had a great crowd this year, which was awesome to see. The line was wrapped around the arena when I got there, and I would say the vast majority of seats were filled. Keep in mind there is a lot of standing room in this arena that provides a better view than the seats, so even though some sections look bare there's a huge mass of people above you can't really see.
ccullins76
9/27/2018 9:34am
Congrats on making it in! It's definitely not easy. I remember those times when it was a good day if my son just made the amateur main! He even committed to me how it was messed up you did the extra lap. I think they where just focused on the woman and not who was actually leading.

As far as the matrix goes, when we watch the day qualifying if the amateurs are making it through then we're thinking it's too easy. Still wish they would make them harder, longer and then just put pallets in for the other classes. I actually think you would have a better time through it without the auto clutch. Very few pros run one. My son tried one and it just messed him up.

JM485
9/27/2018 7:42pm
ccullins76 wrote:
Congrats on making it in! It's definitely not easy. I remember those times when it was a good day if my son just made the amateur...
Congrats on making it in! It's definitely not easy. I remember those times when it was a good day if my son just made the amateur main! He even committed to me how it was messed up you did the extra lap. I think they where just focused on the woman and not who was actually leading.

As far as the matrix goes, when we watch the day qualifying if the amateurs are making it through then we're thinking it's too easy. Still wish they would make them harder, longer and then just put pallets in for the other classes. I actually think you would have a better time through it without the auto clutch. Very few pros run one. My son tried one and it just messed him up.

Interesting you say that regarding the auto clutch, any specific reason why? I honestly ride the bike like it’s not in there, using the clutch entirely like normal, until the inevitable time I get out of shape and can’t get to the lever quickly enough and it saves me a stall (since we’re stuck in the stone ages with a kick starter on the old YZs). I can see why you wouldn’t want to ride it like an auto clutch through that section since you need the quick bursts to get your front wheel up and keep the rhythm going, but since you can still use it like a normal clutch what is the down side in your eyes?

For the talented guys like your son it probably isn’t necessary, but for the floundering amateurs suffering from an abundant lack of skill I feel like it’s necessaryLaughing
FWYT
9/27/2018 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2018 9:03pm
Ted722 wrote:

JM485 wrote:
Hey Ted, in reality there isn’t much done to the bike. Still running totally stock motor, totally stock suspension, and even have the original plastics and...

No super sticky knobbies?

BTW, I crashed three times just watching the video!
JM485
9/28/2018 5:50am
FWYT wrote:
No super sticky knobbies? BTW, I crashed three times just [i]watching[/i] the video!
No super sticky knobbies?

BTW, I crashed three times just watching the video!
Yes, sorry I should have added that specifically, I had an IRC gummy tire on there as well. Great tire btw for stuff like this, it's not going to last and you have to be mindful not to spin it too much, but you'd expect that for any tire as soft as these are. You absolutely have to run a foam insert rather than a tube though, the tire is just too soft and pliable for a tube to not pinch.
ccullins76
9/28/2018 1:29pm
ccullins76 wrote:
Congrats on making it in! It's definitely not easy. I remember those times when it was a good day if my son just made the amateur...

JM485 wrote:
Interesting you say that regarding the auto clutch, any specific reason why? I honestly ride the bike like it’s not in there, using the clutch entirely...
Interesting you say that regarding the auto clutch, any specific reason why? I honestly ride the bike like it’s not in there, using the clutch entirely like normal, until the inevitable time I get out of shape and can’t get to the lever quickly enough and it saves me a stall (since we’re stuck in the stone ages with a kick starter on the old YZs). I can see why you wouldn’t want to ride it like an auto clutch through that section since you need the quick bursts to get your front wheel up and keep the rhythm going, but since you can still use it like a normal clutch what is the down side in your eyes?

For the talented guys like your son it probably isn’t necessary, but for the floundering amateurs suffering from an abundant lack of skill I feel like it’s necessaryLaughing
It's not so much when he uses the clutch, it was more when he didn't use the clutch and was on and off the throttle in those obstacles. He really had a hard time with it in the rocks keeping the bike driving forward.

Doing some testing for www.ultimatemotorcycling.com Ty gets to ride a lot of bikes. He really likes the simple YZ 250's and feels he could pickup an old one off Craigslist and make a good EX bike on a budget.

Post a reply to: Reno Endurocross GoPros, finally made the amateur main!

The Latest