Removing flywheel weight

Talispam
Edited Date/Time 7/6/2015 10:05pm
I have been trying to remove the flywheel weight off my 2006 yz250, so I'm wondering what is the easiest way to do it without causing any damage to the bike. What special tools if any do I need? I've seen a ton of different answers on how to get these things off, all i want is hopefully an easy way to just remove the weight itself.

Here's a picture:

|
7/6/2015 5:47pm
I have always pulled the spark plug and stuffed rope down the hole. Might not be the textbook way but it works
Talispam
7/6/2015 5:49pm
I have always pulled the spark plug and stuffed rope down the hole. Might not be the textbook way but it works
Wait, how would that lock the flywheel enough so that i can put enough pressure on the weight to actually pull the thing off? Please elaborate haha I'm really stumped on how to get this thing off. I can't even figure out what brand weight it is, doesn't look like a Steahly to me.

The Shop

stillwelding
7/6/2015 5:55pm
Talispam wrote:
Wait, how would that lock the flywheel enough so that i can put enough pressure on the weight to actually pull the thing off? Please elaborate...
Wait, how would that lock the flywheel enough so that i can put enough pressure on the weight to actually pull the thing off? Please elaborate haha I'm really stumped on how to get this thing off. I can't even figure out what brand weight it is, doesn't look like a Steahly to me.
It doesn't help. It's just that with the rope stuffed into the combustion chamber, it's raises the compression enough that it improves performance and overcomes the mass of the flywheel weight.
BobPA
7/6/2015 5:56pm
There are 4 set screws on the outside of the flywheel, small Allen heads (I forget what size). Loosen those. The flywheel weight is actually threaded on to the crank and takes the place of the flywheel nut. You need to fab a tool that bolts to the two threaded holes in the flywheel, then weld an old socket on to the center of the tool so you can turn the weight off the end of the crank
Talispam
7/6/2015 5:58pm
It is a Steahly actually, I was able to make out the writing on the weight
stillwelding
7/6/2015 6:01pm
BobPA wrote:
There are 4 set screws on the outside of the flywheel, small Allen heads (I forget what size). Loosen those. The flywheel weight is actually threaded...
There are 4 set screws on the outside of the flywheel, small Allen heads (I forget what size). Loosen those. The flywheel weight is actually threaded on to the crank and takes the place of the flywheel nut. You need to fab a tool that bolts to the two threaded holes in the flywheel, then weld an old socket on to the center of the tool so you can turn the weight off the end of the crank
Albright, somebody helpful, not a smart aleck.
motogrady
7/6/2015 6:32pm
Maybe put in in 3rd gear, hold down on the rear brake.
ViseGrip makes a good tool, has a short piece of chain instead of jaws, wrap the chain around the weight if it's screwed on.

The 2 holes, looks like a place for a puller.
Bolt the puller to the weight using the 2 threaded holes, hold it withvise grip chain tool, or rear brake, and crank on the puller center bolt till it pops.
Talispam
7/6/2015 6:38pm
Buul[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/06/97019/s1200_steahhhh1.jpg[/img] It comes off like with this tool. Easy to build one out of flat bar.
Buul

It comes off like with this tool. Easy to build one out of flat bar.
I got this bike from some kid in the ghetto who just did wheelies on it, he had no idea there was a flywheel weight so i don't have the 'special tool' bar thing that you use during installation and removal of the weight. I figure my best bet is to just buy the tools from Steahly to get the thing safely off.
Cygnus
7/6/2015 6:38pm
Use a rag inbetween the clutch gear and the transfer gear for the trans.
BobPA
7/6/2015 6:42pm
Talispam wrote:
I got this bike from some kid in the ghetto who just did wheelies on it, he had no idea there was a flywheel weight so...
I got this bike from some kid in the ghetto who just did wheelies on it, he had no idea there was a flywheel weight so i don't have the 'special tool' bar thing that you use during installation and removal of the weight. I figure my best bet is to just buy the tools from Steahly to get the thing safely off.
The tool is cheap, if you don't feel like playing around with it.
Cygnus
7/6/2015 6:46pm
Talispam wrote:
I got this bike from some kid in the ghetto who just did wheelies on it, he had no idea there was a flywheel weight so...
Did you have to local popo run the vin and make sure it's not hot?
7/6/2015 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2015 7:04pm
Looking at the outside edge of the weight, it looks like someone already gave it the hammer and chisel treatment.

Poke the rope in the plug hole, lock up the engine, and give it a whack with a sharp chisel and the biggest hammer you can swing.

Even with the fancy tool ,you are still going to have to lock the crank from rotating.
nytsmaC
7/6/2015 7:09pm
Talispam wrote:
Cygnus wrote:
Did you have to local popo run the vin and make sure it's not hot?
Just a hunch, but I suspect we won't hear from him again now..
7/6/2015 7:13pm
If you don't want to use a rope just get this.

I have a lot of stuff going on but if you PayPal me 6 bucks for the shipping I think I can find that tool and the rectangle piece that is in the above pic. I had one on my yz250 but then converted to the dark side.

Ebs
7/6/2015 7:27pm
You shouldn't need the flatbar piece, find some bolts that fit and lever a pry bar against them and it should spin off.

But you should run it with the flywheel on anyway in my opinion.
7/6/2015 7:30pm
Ebs wrote:
You shouldn't need the flatbar piece, find some bolts that fit and lever a pry bar against them and it should spin off. But you should...
You shouldn't need the flatbar piece, find some bolts that fit and lever a pry bar against them and it should spin off.

Yea I loved the way it changed my power but I'm very slow.
bvm111
7/6/2015 8:37pm
Talispam wrote:
Wait, how would that lock the flywheel enough so that i can put enough pressure on the weight to actually pull the thing off? Please elaborate...
It doesn't help. It's just that with the rope stuffed into the combustion chamber, it's raises the compression enough that it improves performance and overcomes the...
It doesn't help. It's just that with the rope stuffed into the combustion chamber, it's raises the compression enough that it improves performance and overcomes the mass of the flywheel weight.
I had to read that twice... almost three times WoohooWoohooTongueTongueTongue
Cancerman
7/6/2015 10:05pm
Ebs wrote:
You shouldn't need the flatbar piece, find some bolts that fit and lever a pry bar against them and it should spin off. But you should...

Yea I loved the way it changed my power but I'm very slow.
I run FWW on all my 2 smokes. Even my 125. Extends the powerband on top, keeps it from running through the power which results in more shifting, and keeps it from stalling too easy going into tight turns. JMO

Post a reply to: Removing flywheel weight

The Latest