Rekluse clutches

agn5009
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Z-start pro and radius x? They're both about the same price. Also, does anyone have any experiences with both of them? If so, how much better is the core exp 3.0?

I've decided to finally give in and buy one but I get different reviews. Some tell me the regular exp is fine, others tell me not to even waste my time. It seems as though people have opinions on the cheap exp model and the exp 3.0 but I can't seem to find anyone with opinions on the other 2.
|
flymoto
2/28/2017 3:30pm
Didn't the exp 3 replace the z start? Or am I wrong. I can't help you much regarding your question, but I had a exp 3 and had nothing but trouble with it. Great idea, but longevity of it, along with tearing it open every ride to adjust got old soon.
agn5009
2/28/2017 3:42pm
flymoto wrote:
Didn't the exp 3 replace the z start? Or am I wrong. I can't help you much regarding your question, but I had a exp 3...
Didn't the exp 3 replace the z start? Or am I wrong. I can't help you much regarding your question, but I had a exp 3 and had nothing but trouble with it. Great idea, but longevity of it, along with tearing it open every ride to adjust got old soon.
I think the z start pro is pretty new. I think they had an original z start that they no longer make? I think they've only released it within the last couple months. I could be wrong on all of that though.
2/28/2017 3:57pm
flymoto wrote:
Didn't the exp 3 replace the z start? Or am I wrong. I can't help you much regarding your question, but I had a exp 3...
That hasn't been my experience.. mine has been very reliable and have not had to adjust since I installed it over a year ago. Only thing I noticed was that my tans oil does get dirtier a lot faster.
EastFlorida
2/28/2017 4:07pm
EXP is the way to go, no question. Clutch works like normal, natural feel. You'll be disappointed with anything less... Nothing better IMO for off road. Works great on moto too...

The Shop

agn5009
2/28/2017 4:08pm
EXP is the way to go, no question. Clutch works like normal, natural feel. You'll be disappointed with anything less... Nothing better IMO for off road...
EXP is the way to go, no question. Clutch works like normal, natural feel. You'll be disappointed with anything less... Nothing better IMO for off road. Works great on moto too...
So the regular exp? Not the exp 3.0?
Titan1
2/28/2017 4:10pm
If you are going to get a rekluse (auto-clutch), get the CORE EXP 3.0. It is the best of the best...I haven't liked the Z-start models at all. The CORE EXP 3.0 you can't even tell its there-unless you need it. All of the others feel different at the clutch lever. Even if you just buy the EXP disc...not as good as the full package.

The Core exp 3.0 will exceed your expectations...it's incredible.

However, They don't have the life span of a traditional clutch though. But, if you maintain them correctly (install gap in spec all the time...checked regularly), they will last one or two hundred hours (I'm talking from an off-road race perspective...I have no experience in a moto environment), I can usually get double/triple that from a traditional clutch.

But the rekluse made me a better rider...I was faster...used less energy...I used the clutch as I always have...it was just there when I needed it (prevented the bike from stalling, and kept it running when I crashed)...but the fact that I didn't have to worry about stalling, that I could ride a gear high (carry more momentum every where), etc. etc.

But I wouldn't mess with the z-start.

(And the CORE EXP 3.0 replaced the 2.0 which replaced the Core EXP which replaced the z-start pro, which replaced the z-start...if my rekluse history is correct...it could be off...)
Titan1
2/28/2017 4:11pm
EXP is the way to go, no question. Clutch works like normal, natural feel. You'll be disappointed with anything less... Nothing better IMO for off road...
agn5009 wrote:
So the regular exp? Not the exp 3.0?
Core EXP 3.0...The $900 one. You'll be disappointed with anything less.
flymoto
2/28/2017 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2017 4:16pm
My personal experience. I had exp 3 (just the disk) rode in deep sand and it slipped a lot. Emailed rekluse and they admitted that it's not suitable for that terrain and I would need to upgrade to the full core kit. Got the full core kit, was continually adjusting the hub, granted it didn't slip but did stall often (it was set up correctly). Found myself riding as if I had a normal clutch in so I took it out. Thought it was great at first. I'm sure many have good experiences but I personally wouldn't spend the money on one again. If anything I would get the torq drive from what I have seen, looks like less to go wrong/wear. Be careful on the exp, the ptfe pads wear quick that sit on the wedges. rekluse don't mention it's a wearing part but I found they didn't last much longer than 5-6 hours....
HardTaco
2/28/2017 4:21pm
I'm a 200lb A class off road racer. On my big bore yz250f I had to adjust it a lot and had some minor issues. On my Yz250 and Yz250x smokers I have had zero trouble and rarely adjust them, like maybe every 40-50 hrs. I attribute this to the much larger plates in the smoker. Don't get anything but the full Core EXP 3.0. The others are a waste of time. I don't like the new radius because it keeps constant tension on the clutch cable. Just my opinion.
mjr119
2/28/2017 4:27pm
What is the radius x? It's the newest clutch from rekluse. I've been waiting to hear some reviews on it. I want to try out an auto clutch. What would be the difference between radius x and the exp 3?
StretchASU
2/28/2017 4:39pm
It is their new mid level auto clutch. Simply replaces the Z Start Pro it seems. Some deal about the clutch plates but other than that it doesnt seem all that special and looks like a churched up standard EXP kit.

I've got a Z Start Pro in my 09 250SX. It was $175 from a local racer so that is why it is in there. I like it, it has been a set it and forget it setup so far. Probably 30 hours since installing it in the bike even after a 2.5hr mudder back in January that absolutely worked the hell out of the clutch. A few other buddies I ride with have the Z Starts in their 250/300XC's and have had the same results. Set it and ride. Not available anymore, so just get the Core EXP and buy once/cry once. Its the only way I would go with the new Rekluse lineup.
Katoomey
2/28/2017 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2017 4:48pm
agn5009 wrote:
I think the z start pro is pretty new. I think they had an original z start that they no longer make? I think they've only...
I think the z start pro is pretty new. I think they had an original z start that they no longer make? I think they've only released it within the last couple months. I could be wrong on all of that though.
The Z-Start Pro is 7 or 8 years old.

The Radius is an EXP auto with a clutch pack similiar to the Torque Drive manual.

The difference between a Z-Start and an EXP is literally everthing. The z-start uses a ball and ramp mechanism to clamp the clutch pack. The unit is also the pressure plate, meaning that the clutch actuation is coupled to the centrefugal forces.

The EXP uses what is essentially a very thick friction disc. The frction plate has an internal cam mechanism that expands the disc. Because the mechanism exists with a traditional pressure plate, clutch actuation is intact. Rekluse claims that clutch actuation is exactly the same as a stock clutch, but thats not true. As rpms increase, the distance the pressure plate has to move to decouple is also increased. So the engagement point is a little inconsistant, thats all.

The problem with Rekluse clutches, besides adjusting them (made easy for KTMs with Rekluse's adjustable slave cylinder), is the lack of holding power. Clutch plates are removed to make room for the centrefugal units. This is the purpose of their Torque Drive technology. The plates are much thinner, and allows them to use more plates and get back the friction lost from removing plates.

What is it that you are looking for? What type of riding, whats your skill level, ect...
NeedMoto
2/28/2017 4:51pm
flymoto wrote:
My personal experience. I had exp 3 (just the disk) rode in deep sand and it slipped a lot. Emailed rekluse and they admitted that it's...
My personal experience. I had exp 3 (just the disk) rode in deep sand and it slipped a lot. Emailed rekluse and they admitted that it's not suitable for that terrain and I would need to upgrade to the full core kit. Got the full core kit, was continually adjusting the hub, granted it didn't slip but did stall often (it was set up correctly). Found myself riding as if I had a normal clutch in so I took it out. Thought it was great at first. I'm sure many have good experiences but I personally wouldn't spend the money on one again. If anything I would get the torq drive from what I have seen, looks like less to go wrong/wear. Be careful on the exp, the ptfe pads wear quick that sit on the wedges. rekluse don't mention it's a wearing part but I found they didn't last much longer than 5-6 hours....
This^^^ word for word, my experience as well. Additionally, I didn't like it much for moto, in very tight 180 turns, that had jumps right after. It just slipped a little to much, that's all.

Get one, try it. You have a 30 day return option if you don't like it. You really can't go wrong.

agn5009
2/28/2017 5:00pm
agn5009 wrote:
I think the z start pro is pretty new. I think they had an original z start that they no longer make? I think they've only...
Katoomey wrote:
The Z-Start Pro is 7 or 8 years old. The Radius is an EXP auto with a clutch pack similiar to the Torque Drive manual. The...
The Z-Start Pro is 7 or 8 years old.

The Radius is an EXP auto with a clutch pack similiar to the Torque Drive manual.

The difference between a Z-Start and an EXP is literally everthing. The z-start uses a ball and ramp mechanism to clamp the clutch pack. The unit is also the pressure plate, meaning that the clutch actuation is coupled to the centrefugal forces.

The EXP uses what is essentially a very thick friction disc. The frction plate has an internal cam mechanism that expands the disc. Because the mechanism exists with a traditional pressure plate, clutch actuation is intact. Rekluse claims that clutch actuation is exactly the same as a stock clutch, but thats not true. As rpms increase, the distance the pressure plate has to move to decouple is also increased. So the engagement point is a little inconsistant, thats all.

The problem with Rekluse clutches, besides adjusting them (made easy for KTMs with Rekluse's adjustable slave cylinder), is the lack of holding power. Clutch plates are removed to make room for the centrefugal units. This is the purpose of their Torque Drive technology. The plates are much thinner, and allows them to use more plates and get back the friction lost from removing plates.

What is it that you are looking for? What type of riding, whats your skill level, ect...
Thanks for the info. I no longer race, I'm former pro/A level rider in harescrambles. I mainly ride tight single track, extreme harescramble type now. Essentially now I enjoy making hill climbs, new tight trails, doing things most people don't want to attempt. Problem is, my clutch gets fried so fast. The rest of my bike is set up for this type of riding. I just haven't been able to purchase the $900 clutch because of my cheapness.

Oh, and my bike is a 2012 Yz 250.
Mr. Info
2/28/2017 5:52pm
Core EXP. I race MX and SRA GP's here in SoCal with hills and sand, dry hard pack and wet slippery conditions. Great for starts on dirt or concrete and tight turns and off camber. Won't ride without one. Had one on my 2011 KTM 450 and replace clutch once and just bought a 2017 Husky and only thing I added and it's the best. Spoiled with it. Better rider because of it
vetmxr
2/28/2017 5:54pm
Don't go cheap..........spend the money and get the best one......set up correctly it's close to perfect for any condition. I have 4 bikes I ride regularly and they all have the Core EXP 3.0.....

I think its better than electric start, and I fucking love electric start race bikes....but I'd give up electric start for that clutch. Cheating really.......
2/28/2017 6:47pm
agn5009 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I no longer race, I'm former pro/A level rider in harescrambles. I mainly ride tight single track, extreme harescramble type now. Essentially...
Thanks for the info. I no longer race, I'm former pro/A level rider in harescrambles. I mainly ride tight single track, extreme harescramble type now. Essentially now I enjoy making hill climbs, new tight trails, doing things most people don't want to attempt. Problem is, my clutch gets fried so fast. The rest of my bike is set up for this type of riding. I just haven't been able to purchase the $900 clutch because of my cheapness.

Oh, and my bike is a 2012 Yz 250.
First off, I am a huge fan of Rekluse and as a local company, I support what they do. However, based on what you've said here, it doesn't sound like you will get what you are looking for with the EXP 3.0 or any variation of their auto clutches. I've had 2 EXP 3.0s in two different Yamahas and in both instances I ultimately went back to a traditional clutch because - like others have said - the EXP 3.0 will have some noticeable slippage. Maybe this isn't a big deal to some, but the slippage really got progressively worse for me during long distance races (80-120 miles) and deep sand is definitely not the ideal environment for an auto-clutch. Going off of your skill level and the way you tend to go through clutch packs, it seems like their Torque Drive clutch would be your best option. It has the best resistance to fading of any clutch they sell and it is purposes built to handle significant abuse without getting roached. In contrast to the EXP 3.0, the torque drive makes you feel like your throttle/clutch is directly attached to the rear wheel. Another point to take into consideration is that you will lose the ability to put the bike in gear and keep it from rolling backwards on hill climbs/inclines or bump start your bike with the EXP 3.0. This isn't really a big deal to most, but something to keep in mind. Regardless, if you just can't shake your desire for an auto clutch, then take the advice of others and don't go the cheap route. There is a good reason for why they include the center clutch hub and a bigger clutch cover in their most expensive units.
Mort443
2/28/2017 7:07pm
Tried the rekluse auto 3.0 for the first time in my 17 crf450 and love it. I rode moto and only have ridden it in sand and one hard pack track. I have nearly 10 hours on it and have only had to adjust once which is taking the clutch cover off loosening two set screws and going one click. They have the 30 day warranty if you don't like it also. If I didn't have this in my bike it would be a torq drive. From what I hear it lasts longer but there is no comparison to the benefits of the exp 3.0.
endurox
2/28/2017 10:19pm
Just about everyone who works at Rekluse up here is Boise is a very good rider. They know their stuff and will answer any questions over the phone.
Paw Paw 271
3/1/2017 3:51am
I have used the EXP 2.0 and the 3.0 and love both of them. What I did was go to the heavier weights and a combo of the springs to get the best hook up, engine breaking and still no stalls. They have lasted for several years with no issues at all. Also the clutch life has been extended. Great starts in 3rd gear and a lot less shifting around the track.

Paw Paw
cslacker
3/1/2017 7:04am
I have the 2.0 Core EXP in my CR250. I just got back from Glamis this past weekend and left it in with a paddle tire. As a safety measure I put in heavier clutch springs to keep it from slipping even though Rekluse said it probably wasn't necessary. I also am running heavy weights and light engagement springs for a very low rpm engagement point. The thing is awesome and has lasted me over 150 hours so far on the same clutch pack. I used to burn through clutches every top end.

For those who had slippage or quick wear, these things are very adjustable and you really should put in the time to dial it in to your preference. I only check the gap on mine every 20 hours or so and it really never changes.
gpracer36
3/1/2017 7:40am
really interested in an EXP 3.0 for my 17 crf450rx. Mainly riding off road. So far the stock clutch struggles in tight rocky trails and the bike stalls a lot, even with a re-map. But is fine in open desert. I ride gp's and off road, so not sure if i should go with the torque drive or exp 3.0
Mr. Info
3/1/2017 7:44am
gpracer36 it is perfect for what you do. It takes a little getting use to and finding the right settings but one there its great. And if you are ever having any problems call Austin at Rekluse and he can walk you through any help you might need. The other guys are very good as well.
Tim507
3/1/2017 7:50am
I have the EXP Core 3 in my two 350's SXF and XCF. I tried all combinations of springs and now have both set up with the heavy springs (no mixing) I'm 65 and race MX Masters and Expert Offroad. No problems at all.
REKapaden
3/1/2017 8:05am
Just wanted to speak to this new product Radius X.

Radius X is the new mid level price point clutch from Rekluse. It does infact take the technology of TorqDrive Manual (technology used by Star Racing and HRC Honda (MXGP) and combine it with EXP technology.

The result is a very strong functioning clutch system at a reasonable price. This system will actually have more friction plates than your OEM clutch and will stay much more consistent as the TorqDrive clutch pack uses steel fiber plates that do not expand like your aluminum OE fibers. This all goes into your OE clutch components.

The last thing is this clutch system is externally adjustable at the cable, (for cable Bikes) so you can fine tune the clutch on fly or even mid race.

Product level

EXP- $399
RadiusX - $599
Core EXP - $899

Z-Start Pro is an older technology that was introduced in 2006. The Z-start Pro is a great functioning Auto clutch but lever modulation and feel is quite different than OE.
mjr119
3/1/2017 8:15am
I ride only MX. Rarely sand. Usually keep it at the house if it's extremely muddy.

I just started riding a 450F, and sold my 250F. I have noticed that I stall out a lot more frequently in tight, rutted turns. Not sure if I ever did before on my 250F. But I can't keep this 450F running in tighter corners. So that is why I have been wanting to try out a Rekluse auto.

Would the Radius X or Core EXP be better for me? I still don't understand the difference. I also don't want to have to adjust something every ride. Cost is not really a concern.
agn5009
3/1/2017 9:52am
REKapaden wrote:
Just wanted to speak to this new product Radius X. Radius X is the new mid level price point clutch from Rekluse. It does infact take...
Just wanted to speak to this new product Radius X.

Radius X is the new mid level price point clutch from Rekluse. It does infact take the technology of TorqDrive Manual (technology used by Star Racing and HRC Honda (MXGP) and combine it with EXP technology.

The result is a very strong functioning clutch system at a reasonable price. This system will actually have more friction plates than your OEM clutch and will stay much more consistent as the TorqDrive clutch pack uses steel fiber plates that do not expand like your aluminum OE fibers. This all goes into your OE clutch components.

The last thing is this clutch system is externally adjustable at the cable, (for cable Bikes) so you can fine tune the clutch on fly or even mid race.

Product level

EXP- $399
RadiusX - $599
Core EXP - $899

Z-Start Pro is an older technology that was introduced in 2006. The Z-start Pro is a great functioning Auto clutch but lever modulation and feel is quite different than OE.
What are the differences between the two while riding? I really don't understand it. I guess in layman's terms, if I were to ride a bike with the radius x in it then change it out and put a core exp in, what would the noriceable differences be? I'm by no stretch of the imagination any sort of mechanic so im not going to fully understand the functioning components anyways.
kiwifan
3/1/2017 10:36am
gpracer36 wrote:
really interested in an EXP 3.0 for my 17 crf450rx. Mainly riding off road. So far the stock clutch struggles in tight rocky trails and the...
really interested in an EXP 3.0 for my 17 crf450rx. Mainly riding off road. So far the stock clutch struggles in tight rocky trails and the bike stalls a lot, even with a re-map. But is fine in open desert. I ride gp's and off road, so not sure if i should go with the torque drive or exp 3.0
I have a ESP 3.0 in my 17' RX ....highly recommend it.
Robgvx
3/1/2017 11:19am
I have an EXP Core 3.0 on my 450SXF. The best product you'll ever buy for your bike. Just like a regular clutch, in every way, but you'll never stall your bike again.
Wintyfresh
3/1/2017 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2017 12:29pm
I've got the Z-Start Pro on two of my bikes (WR450 and YZ250) simply because I do a lot of riding in the dunes and was afraid of losing any clutch plates. Not much clutch feel but they've stood up to a great deal of abuse.

Post a reply to: Rekluse clutches

The Latest