Rekluse clutch after 70 hours

Lastander
Edited Date/Time 5/3/2019 1:22pm
Whats a guy gotta do to get a clutch that works for a -19 crf450?

|
walent215
4/7/2019 6:10am
I'm not sure ive ever seen a clutch that roached. That is unreal. Id be interested to hear what rekluse has to say. Probably say it was ran low on oil or something .
wolf918
4/7/2019 6:49am
walent215 wrote:
I'm not sure ive ever seen a clutch that roached. That is unreal. Id be interested to hear what rekluse has to say. Probably say it...
I'm not sure ive ever seen a clutch that roached. That is unreal. Id be interested to hear what rekluse has to say. Probably say it was ran low on oil or something .
change The oil more frequently.
Titan1
4/7/2019 7:23am
How often did you check your install gap (to keep it in spec)?

The Shop

captmoto
4/7/2019 7:26am
70 hours. Rode hard. Looks about right.
Lastander
4/7/2019 7:56am
captmoto wrote:
I feel like KTM stock clutches can take a couple of hundred hours of abuse though...
drvnfast
4/7/2019 8:23am
Wow, That basket is haggered.

Side note: I wish I had time to put 70 hrs on a new bike. Lucky dog!
RCF
4/7/2019 8:27am
They're probably going to tell you that the clutch basket dampeners are bad
Lastander
4/7/2019 8:27am
drvnfast wrote:
Wow, That basket is haggered.

Side note: I wish I had time to put 70 hrs on a new bike. Lucky dog!
13 hours on the -19, the other 50-60 hours was on my -18 just to clear that up
Lastander
4/7/2019 8:39am
RCF wrote:
Funny thing is that those were fine, but we had an engine last year that ran oil-dry because the dampeners dissolved in the high-end oil we run, and clogged up the filter...
DB97
4/7/2019 8:43am
I had 60+ hours on my 16 kx450 with a rekluse torq drive it was perfect still. Not sure what happened to you.
TeamGreen
4/7/2019 9:00am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2019 9:17am
RCF wrote:
Lastander wrote:
Funny thing is that those were fine, but we had an engine last year that ran oil-dry because the dampeners dissolved in the high-end oil we...
Funny thing is that those were fine, but we had an engine last year that ran oil-dry because the dampeners dissolved in the high-end oil we run, and clogged up the filter...
Whoa!

You had oil that attacked the rubber...and the rubber DISSOLVED?! That’s crazy!

Did you lose most of the engine’s internals?
What seized/wore out and what survived?
RCF
4/7/2019 9:10am
RCF wrote:
Lastander wrote:
Funny thing is that those were fine, but we had an engine last year that ran oil-dry because the dampeners dissolved in the high-end oil we...
I had something similar happen except it was the recluse metal plates broke got ground up and clog the oil screen for the pump uptake. It looks like the engine was filled with steel wool. Wiped out the whole motor on a brand new bike. I'm still a little bitter about it LOL. KTM SX four strokes don't have dampeners but at the time we were also break them in the two stroke the 2-stroke,that they blamed on the dampeners and told me they need to be changed every 15 hours our four stroke they admitted to having a problem because of the lack of dampeners. But unlike the other tread that's up on here they didn't cover the cost of my motor.
Premix
4/7/2019 10:00am
Lastander wrote:
I’m gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this
Lastander
4/7/2019 10:03am
Premix wrote:
No one is stopping you
Premix
4/7/2019 10:05am
RCF wrote:
I had something similar happen except it was the recluse metal plates broke got ground up and clog the oil screen for the pump uptake. It...
I had something similar happen except it was the recluse metal plates broke got ground up and clog the oil screen for the pump uptake. It looks like the engine was filled with steel wool. Wiped out the whole motor on a brand new bike. I'm still a little bitter about it LOL. KTM SX four strokes don't have dampeners but at the time we were also break them in the two stroke the 2-stroke,that they blamed on the dampeners and told me they need to be changed every 15 hours our four stroke they admitted to having a problem because of the lack of dampeners. But unlike the other tread that's up on here they didn't cover the cost of my motor.
The 450 and the 250SX both have DDS clutches that use dampeners. And yes, about every 20-30 hours you should swap them. 2019 KTM except the aforementioned two now have the DS clutch.

You have to maintain the Rekluse. It’s not as set and forget as people like to think. Change oil every 2 hours with them as well
RCF
4/7/2019 10:09am
RCF wrote:
I had something similar happen except it was the recluse metal plates broke got ground up and clog the oil screen for the pump uptake. It...
Premix wrote:
The 450 and the 250SX both have DDS clutches that use dampeners. And yes, about every 20-30 hours you should swap them. 2019 KTM except the...
The 450 and the 250SX both have DDS clutches that use dampeners. And yes, about every 20-30 hours you should swap them. 2019 KTM except the aforementioned two now have the DS clutch.

You have to maintain the Rekluse. It’s not as set and forget as people like to think. Change oil every 2 hours with them as well
It was in 2014 and it was a 350 and no it did not have dampeners solid clutch basket and no dampeners like the two stroke on the inner basket.
Lastander
4/7/2019 10:11am
Lastander wrote:
Premix wrote:

Bullshit called
4/7/2019 10:16am
captmoto wrote:
Lastander wrote:
I feel like KTM stock clutches can take a couple of hundred hours of abuse though...
Steel basket
Premix
4/7/2019 10:27am
Lastander wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/07/336888/s1200_0CCA67CD_3133_46D6_B7D7_67CB9EDB2486.jpg[/img] Bullshit called

Bullshit called
Lol you’re literally posting a screen filled with not only rubber but metal shavings as well. For all we know the clutch basket gear let loose or broke teeth off and shredded them. The claim of oil disolving the factory OEM rubber dampeners designed to ride in oil is highly unlikely. Please post the MSDS of the oil you were running or give us the name.
Lastander
4/7/2019 11:04am
Premix wrote:
Lol you’re literally posting a screen filled with not only rubber but metal shavings as well. For all we know the clutch basket gear let loose...
Lol you’re literally posting a screen filled with not only rubber but metal shavings as well. For all we know the clutch basket gear let loose or broke teeth off and shredded them. The claim of oil disolving the factory OEM rubber dampeners designed to ride in oil is highly unlikely. Please post the MSDS of the oil you were running or give us the name.
This was last year so i dont remember exactly what oil was in it, when the rubbers dissolved it was metal against metal hence the flakes, i dont know what it is that makes you so opposed to this unless you have personal interests in Rekluse clutches.
Got a wi-fi ly-detector and im all up for it but im not in the mood for spending hours trying to convince you to trust anything i say or post
Premix
4/7/2019 11:11am
Lastander wrote:
This was last year so i dont remember exactly what oil was in it, when the rubbers dissolved it was metal against metal hence the flakes...
This was last year so i dont remember exactly what oil was in it, when the rubbers dissolved it was metal against metal hence the flakes, i dont know what it is that makes you so opposed to this unless you have personal interests in Rekluse clutches.
Got a wi-fi ly-detector and im all up for it but im not in the mood for spending hours trying to convince you to trust anything i say or post
You’re the one coming on here posting pictures of a worn out 70 hour clutch assembly insinuating that Rekluse is producing an inferior product, making claims of an oil disolving rubber dampeners, then can’t remeber what oil you ran a year ago? My bullshit meter is pegged out. Carry on....
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
4/7/2019 11:12am
Lastander wrote:
This was last year so i dont remember exactly what oil was in it, when the rubbers dissolved it was metal against metal hence the flakes...
Well what's the point of the thread then? I figured you wanted some info on Whats a guy gotta do to get a clutch that works for a -19 crf450? If someone calls bullshit on a cause, you probably should hear them out, because obviously you don't know either.
Lastander
4/7/2019 11:20am
Markee wrote:
Well what's the point of the thread then? I figured you wanted some info on Whats a guy gotta do to get a clutch that works...
Well what's the point of the thread then? I figured you wanted some info on Whats a guy gotta do to get a clutch that works for a -19 crf450? If someone calls bullshit on a cause, you probably should hear them out, because obviously you don't know either.
Youre absolutely right, i dont know how to get a clutch for a -19 crf450 to work without issues, unfortunately i dont even change my oil myself and therefore im not sure about the oil.
77Moto
4/7/2019 11:37am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2019 11:41am
Do the new Hondas still use separate oils for Engine and Trans?
That basket looks to have like 2 stroke power valve carbon on it. I've never seen so much gunk on a basket in 40 years.
RCF
4/7/2019 11:47am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2019 11:47am
77Moto wrote:
Do the new Hondas still use separate oils for Engine and Trans? That basket looks to have like 2 stroke power valve carbon on it. I've...
That basket looks to have like 2 stroke power valve carbon on it. I've never seen so much gunk on a basket in 40 years.
with that many grooves the clutch had to be slipping really bad it probably bake the oil ,that's what you are seeing on the basket.
77Moto
4/7/2019 11:55am
77Moto wrote:
Do the new Hondas still use separate oils for Engine and Trans? That basket looks to have like 2 stroke power valve carbon on it. I've...
RCF wrote:
with that many grooves the clutch had to be slipping really bad it probably bake the oil ,that's what you are seeing on the basket.
Im thinking that also, but holy shit, we used to run clutches till they started to slip under heavy load (2 stroke and 4 stroke) and never saw anything like that.

There has got to be more to this story.

ktmwoods
4/7/2019 11:58am
Markee wrote:
Well what's the point of the thread then? I figured you wanted some info on Whats a guy gotta do to get a clutch that works...
Lastander wrote:
Youre absolutely right, i dont know how to get a clutch for a -19 crf450 to work without issues, unfortunately i dont even change my oil...
Youre absolutely right, i dont know how to get a clutch for a -19 crf450 to work without issues, unfortunately i dont even change my oil myself and therefore im not sure about the oil.
I as well am calling bullshit. Feel, basic maint protocols, sounds - all kinds of clues. You seem oblivious, exceptionally - and self-admittedly - ignorant of the Honda’s weak point and yet you are shocked at the end result? REALLY??!

Post a reply to: Rekluse clutch after 70 hours

The Latest