Just seen on his twitter??
Whats the reason?
|
jk367
11/6/2017 6:00pm
Pretty good read
PTshox
11/6/2017 6:26pm
That is so not cool...... I honor the agreements I have. The guy that works with me drives has three brand new cars and I'd never screw him out of $. It's just short sided and really stupid.
11/6/2017 6:34pm
in other news it really seems like he is milking the ankle injury. about a post a day of the boot on either his or ellies instagram.

The Shop

JM485
11/6/2017 6:48pm
RandyS wrote:
I don't know anything about it but I just happen to have read an interview with snowboarder Kevin Jones, read it if you want to know...
I don't know anything about it but I just happen to have read an interview with snowboarder Kevin Jones, read it if you want to know the truth about his douchey agent. https://snowboardmag.com/stories/interviews/the-reluctant-super-pro-a-k…
Replace snowboarding with moto and that interview just hit about every nail in the board smack on the head.

"Motocross, it was better when you hated us."
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
11/6/2017 7:28pm
That was a good interview.

Gotta agree with you JM485. I miss the old videos of MC, Emig, Hughes and all the rest out in Glamis or Death Valley or wherever they were free riding. The 90’s were the best of times in moto. I was just a kid but it was way more fun then.
newmann
11/6/2017 7:55pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
That was a good interview. Gotta agree with you JM485. I miss the old videos of MC, Emig, Hughes and all the rest out in Glamis...

Gotta agree with you JM485. I miss the old videos of MC, Emig, Hughes and all the rest out in Glamis or Death Valley or wherever they were free riding. The 90’s were the best of times in moto. I was just a kid but it was way more fun then.
Good read, but does he really pour concrete? Good concrete guys are hard to find! The 90's were the days of moto contracts going crazy and SX gaining popularity. Like JM485 said, nail...head.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
11/6/2017 8:07pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
That was a good interview. Gotta agree with you JM485. I miss the old videos of MC, Emig, Hughes and all the rest out in Glamis...

newmann wrote:
Good read, but does he really pour concrete? Good concrete guys are hard to find! The 90's were the days of moto contracts going crazy and...
Good read, but does he really pour concrete? Good concrete guys are hard to find! The 90's were the days of moto contracts going crazy and SX gaining popularity. Like JM485 said, nail...head.

I didn’t actually see him say it in the interview but I saw it at the beginning and saw the journalist say that’s what he tells you when you ask what he does for a living.
11/6/2017 8:14pm
newmann wrote:
Good read, but does he really pour concrete? Good concrete guys are hard to find! The 90's were the days of moto contracts going crazy and...

Dunge has ya covered

oshow
11/6/2017 8:46pm
in other news it really seems like he is milking the ankle injury. about a post a day of the boot on either his or ellies...
in other news it really seems like he is milking the ankle injury. about a post a day of the boot on either his or ellies instagram.
You know there is an unfollow button right?
cmotodad
11/6/2017 9:38pm
Not much to say about WMG. Being in the concrete business for 40+ years, hanging onto a boom pump can be a really tough job. Dunge looks like he does a good job at that too.
tobz
11/6/2017 10:07pm
RandyS wrote:
I don't know anything about it but I just happen to have read an interview with snowboarder Kevin Jones, read it if you want to know...
I don't know anything about it but I just happen to have read an interview with snowboarder Kevin Jones, read it if you want to know the truth about his douchey agent. https://snowboardmag.com/stories/interviews/the-reluctant-super-pro-a-k…
Most of that article just sounds like a dude that wanted the accolades and to push the limits of his sport, but didn't want the popularity or responsibility that goes with it.

Hard to do one without the other.

When your choice of sport is small and unknown you dream nothing more than for it to be in everyone's living room and everyday talk. Then when it happens, you "miss the good old days"....
Crush
11/6/2017 10:35pm
cmotodad wrote:
Not much to say about WMG. Being in the concrete business for 40+ years, hanging onto a boom pump can be a really tough job. Dunge...
Not much to say about WMG. Being in the concrete business for 40+ years, hanging onto a boom pump can be a really tough job. Dunge looks like he does a good job at that too.
So somewhere between letting fans know what's going on, ala Reed and not saying shit, ala JS7 is just about right for your social media diet is it?

Fucking cross-fitting vegans.
ledger
11/6/2017 11:12pm
Reminds me of the song....Fame, by David Bowie.
mmcmx
11/7/2017 12:12am
RandyS wrote:
Very good read thanks.
11/7/2017 12:23am
RandyS wrote:
Didn’t really get anything out of that interview except the snowboarder complains about his job that a lot of people would give their life to have. Don’t see how it sheds light on this “douchey” agent of his.
jemcee
11/7/2017 12:31am
RandyS wrote:
Didn’t really get anything out of that interview except the snowboarder complains about his job that a lot of people would give their life to have...
Didn’t really get anything out of that interview except the snowboarder complains about his job that a lot of people would give their life to have. Don’t see how it sheds light on this “douchey” agent of his.
Same.. Also hates his agent for being a successful agent with other clients..

I also thought maybe the agent didn't go to his wedding cause he's a miserable prick
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/7/2017 1:41am
RandyS wrote:
Didn’t really get anything out of that interview except the snowboarder complains about his job that a lot of people would give their life to have...
jemcee wrote:
Same.. Also hates his agent for being a successful agent with other clients.. I also thought maybe the agent didn't go to his wedding cause he's...

I also thought maybe the agent didn't go to his wedding cause he's a miserable prick
His agent fucked him over. Nothing to do with his agent being successful at his job. Take the time and read it again. He was given part ownership of The Familie and when Astephen decided to sell it he wrote Jones out of the company and then told him he was no longer part owner. No idea how much Astephen sold The Familie for but that's besides the point. It's just unethical.

Started the company in 1998 with Jones and sold it in 2003. I'm sure he sold it for a pretty penny considering that he was the leader in that segment and at the time he had guys like Dave Mirra, Ryan Nyquist, Bob Burnquist, Bucky Lasek, Carey Hart, Travis Pastrana as athletes among others who were at the top of their game. He also did marketing for big corporate sponsors like AT&T, Burger King, Coca-Cola, Butterfinger, Powerade, DC Shoes, Puma, etc. Those are all big name people and companies. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be happy either if you helped him get started, build a company and then told "Hey I sold the company but you were no longer part of it".

Sure, Astephen had power of attorney for Jones to take care of his things but when he saw dollar signs he wrote him out of the company and basically told him to fuck off.
jemcee
11/7/2017 2:10am
jemcee wrote:
Same.. Also hates his agent for being a successful agent with other clients.. I also thought maybe the agent didn't go to his wedding cause he's...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
His agent fucked him over. Nothing to do with his agent being successful at his job. Take the time and read it again. He was given...
His agent fucked him over. Nothing to do with his agent being successful at his job. Take the time and read it again. He was given part ownership of The Familie and when Astephen decided to sell it he wrote Jones out of the company and then told him he was no longer part owner. No idea how much Astephen sold The Familie for but that's besides the point. It's just unethical.

Started the company in 1998 with Jones and sold it in 2003. I'm sure he sold it for a pretty penny considering that he was the leader in that segment and at the time he had guys like Dave Mirra, Ryan Nyquist, Bob Burnquist, Bucky Lasek, Carey Hart, Travis Pastrana as athletes among others who were at the top of their game. He also did marketing for big corporate sponsors like AT&T, Burger King, Coca-Cola, Butterfinger, Powerade, DC Shoes, Puma, etc. Those are all big name people and companies. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be happy either if you helped him get started, build a company and then told "Hey I sold the company but you were no longer part of it".

Sure, Astephen had power of attorney for Jones to take care of his things but when he saw dollar signs he wrote him out of the company and basically told him to fuck off.
Yeah I get that it's unethical but how much work did they each put in to the company to make it what it was (it might not matter but still) seems to me Astephen did everything and Jones snowboarded and not much else it could've been part of the contract.. Jones doesn't seem like much of a reader of the fine print (me neither)

And I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if you sell the company you worked your arse off to build into a success to then have the partner that did absolutely nothing (I'm assuming haha) say you fucked him over..

Seems like a two sides to every story kinda deal
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/7/2017 2:33am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2017 2:37am
jemcee wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
His agent fucked him over. Nothing to do with his agent being successful at his job. Take the time and read it again. He was given...

jemcee wrote:
Yeah I get that it's unethical but how much work did they each put in to the company to make it what it was (it might...
Yeah I get that it's unethical but how much work did they each put in to the company to make it what it was (it might not matter but still) seems to me Astephen did everything and Jones snowboarded and not much else it could've been part of the contract.. Jones doesn't seem like much of a reader of the fine print (me neither)

And I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if you sell the company you worked your arse off to build into a success to then have the partner that did absolutely nothing (I'm assuming haha) say you fucked him over..

Seems like a two sides to every story kinda deal
There's obviously two sides to every story but you don't write a partner out of the company without discussing things with the person first. We don't know all the details and we'll never know the full story behind it all. For all we know Jones' stake in the company could of been 10-15%. It sure didn't sound like they were equal partners. If he only had a small part of it then it's not expected of him to put in as much work as Astephen did. Whether it was a 5% stake or 50% stake in the company what Astephen did wasn't right.

Like I mentioned, I'm not sure how much the company was sold for but say it was $10 Million and he had a 10% stake in the company, that's a million dollars that he never saw because of what his agent did. Keep in mind that it was sold in 2003 which means that today it would be $1.34 Million. Add that to his career earnings and he'd be pretty well off.

As for Reed, I have no idea why he/they decided to split up. He doesn't have that many years left in the sport and he's been around it long enough that he might have just said that he'll take care of it himself. He doesn't ride outdoors so it's not like he doesn't have time to take care of his own deals during the summer months.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Astephen sold The Familie agency to WMG who he now works for.
kevin204
Fantasy
3416th
11/7/2017 2:44am
Seems likely, probably saves him a good chunk of coin doing his own deals.. especially if he's gonna privateer it, every dollar saved will count to him.
MB19
Fantasy
1834th
11/7/2017 4:00am
In an interview with Matthes, Chad mentioned he had been taking classes but nothing else was said about it. Maybe he’s preparing for life after racing and is now his own first client.
chaseodc
11/7/2017 5:05am
in other news it really seems like he is milking the ankle injury. about a post a day of the boot on either his or ellies...
Maybe Reedy has a career ending injury insurance policy.. Dump Astephen to save some money, collect insurance check, ride off into the sunset to do real estate in sunny Florida!
BobKerr
11/7/2017 5:30am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2017 5:31am
MB19 wrote:
In an interview with Matthes, Chad mentioned he had been taking classes but nothing else was said about it. Maybe he’s preparing for life after racing...
In an interview with Matthes, Chad mentioned he had been taking classes but nothing else was said about it. Maybe he’s preparing for life after racing and is now his own first client.
I read that too, and was wondering 'what classes'? Maybe you are right, and it was 'small business' classes or something along those lines.

There is always two sides to every story. I would love to read an interview with Steve Astephen to get his side. If he really was a dirtbag who swindled the snowboarder, then I don't think that Reed and others would have done business with him for so many years.

BobKerr
11/7/2017 5:33am
RandyS wrote:
tobz wrote:
Most of that article just sounds like a dude that wanted the accolades and to push the limits of his sport, but didn't want the popularity...
Most of that article just sounds like a dude that wanted the accolades and to push the limits of his sport, but didn't want the popularity or responsibility that goes with it.

Hard to do one without the other.

When your choice of sport is small and unknown you dream nothing more than for it to be in everyone's living room and everyday talk. Then when it happens, you "miss the good old days"....
I agree with your comments.

I enjoyed reading the article but was a little put off by the snowboarders attitude. He seems a bit like he never 'grew up'.
newmann
11/7/2017 5:39am
RandyS wrote:
What I got out of it was that the commercialization of the sport turned snowboarding into a half pipe X-Games spectacle. Just like MX , took a sport that was all about participation and turned it into the circus act we call SX.
newmann
11/7/2017 5:45am
newmann wrote:

Dunge has ya covered [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/11/06/223698/s1200_Screenshot_20171106_201239.jpg[/img]
Dunge has ya covered

I'd hire him, I've seen his work ethic.
Melicar
11/7/2017 6:11am
newmann wrote:

Dunge has ya covered [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/11/06/223698/s1200_Screenshot_20171106_201239.jpg[/img]
Dunge has ya covered

newmann wrote:
I'd hire him, I've seen his work ethic.
I don't like his style his finish work looks boring. It might look like he is doing a good job but that's only because all the good finishers called in sick. I think they should put an asterisk next to his Yelp review.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
11/7/2017 6:51am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2017 7:00am
Motocross agents are stupid idea, nothing but a bunch of ex rider good ole boys club who have zero contract law experience.
twotwosix
11/7/2017 6:56am
UpTiTe wrote:
Motocross agents are stupid idea, nothing but a bunch of ex rider good ole boys club who have zero contract law experience.
That simply is an ignorant statement.

Post a reply to: Reedy/WMG Split

The Latest