Reed’s new hybrid forks?

CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
3/10/2018 5:39am
How about some up close photos of reeds new set up in the pit bits this week?
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
3/10/2018 5:56am
ML512 wrote:
KYB lower tubes, lugs, AOS spring internals with a WP upper tube...it's a combination that Enzo and a few others have done. Shock is a WP...
KYB lower tubes, lugs, AOS spring internals with a WP upper tube...it's a combination that Enzo and a few others have done.

Shock is a WP body and adjuster, with a bladder conversion and what appears to be a Showa 18mm shaft and Pro Circuit A-kit clevis

Basically the KYB and Showa tubes have been developed around more rigid aluminum frames and the WP designed around the chromoly steel chassis.
Thanks for the explanation Michael, always love hearing the technical tidbits.

So with the KYB lowers, would that make the suspension slightly more forgiving?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/10/2018 5:57am
CrGuy2T wrote:
How about some up close photos of reeds new set up in the pit bits this week?
Well duh, I already shot those Wink
Motofinne
3/10/2018 6:05am
Is it really a good idea to go to a "Frankenstein" suspension set up like that in the middle of the season? I mean do they have any data of that set up from past riders?

I would imagine that staying with the normal KYB kit stuff or going the full WP route would be less of a hassle?

But hey, what do i know?

The Shop

3/10/2018 6:14am
The real question still lies, will he be able to flat land on the front or rear wheel!

Laughing
Motofinne
3/10/2018 6:29am
The real question still lies, will he be able to flat land on the front or rear wheel!

Laughing
Could he bottom out A-kit suspension if he lands on the front wheel?

Grinning
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
3/10/2018 8:22am
kevin204 wrote:
I'm more interested in whatever Goose is doing!
Shaving weight, Duh!

Just kidding, good question and answer JM and ML
mx_phreek
Fantasy
230th
3/10/2018 8:58am
ML512 wrote:
KYB lower tubes, lugs, AOS spring internals with a WP upper tube...it's a combination that Enzo and a few others have done. Shock is a WP...
KYB lower tubes, lugs, AOS spring internals with a WP upper tube...it's a combination that Enzo and a few others have done.

Shock is a WP body and adjuster, with a bladder conversion and what appears to be a Showa 18mm shaft and Pro Circuit A-kit clevis

Basically the KYB and Showa tubes have been developed around more rigid aluminum frames and the WP designed around the chromoly steel chassis.
Bruce372 wrote:
So has he tested the 52mm and trax shock that the factory teams are running? I can't imagine a baller like Reed wouldn't be able to...
So has he tested the 52mm and trax shock that the factory teams are running? I can't imagine a baller like Reed wouldn't be able to blag some of the works WP stuff...
ML512 wrote:
From my understanding, not on this bike. Getting at set is do-able with cash...but the support to tune and set them up could be a bigger...
From my understanding, not on this bike.

Getting at set is do-able with cash...but the support to tune and set them up could be a bigger problem.

Another thing I noticed is Chad swapping to the steel engine mount on that chassis, which comes stock with aluminum engine hangers. Steel is what Dungey and Musquin used on last year's KTM 450 SX-F while the Husky team typically used the stock aluminum ones on theres...250 Husky and KTM teams typically use a carbon fiber one or the aluminum ones.
It's these little nuggets of information that I love to read about. You should do more of these cause I find them very interesting. I know you do your pit bits, but more little bits like this you should drop here when you see or notice them.
Andingo86
3/10/2018 10:07am
ML512 wrote:

ML512 you are an expert in suspension! I love when your on Pulpmx and get into details with the suspension, very knowledgeable!
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/10/2018 10:09am
Motofinne wrote:
Is it really a good idea to go to a "Frankenstein" suspension set up like that in the middle of the season? I mean do they...
Is it really a good idea to go to a "Frankenstein" suspension set up like that in the middle of the season? I mean do they have any data of that set up from past riders?

I would imagine that staying with the normal KYB kit stuff or going the full WP route would be less of a hassle?

But hey, what do i know?
Seems like it could be a good idea IF you had several months to test.
mmcmx
3/10/2018 10:41am
Motofinne wrote:
Is it really a good idea to go to a "Frankenstein" suspension set up like that in the middle of the season? I mean do they...

But hey, what do i know?
seth505 wrote:
Seems like it could be a good idea IF you had several months to test.
Well, he does have them, until '19 A1 that is.
JB 19
3/10/2018 10:45am
ML512 wrote:

ML always killing it with the specs.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
3/10/2018 11:00am
ML512 wrote:
Well duh, I already shot those Wink
I kinda figured.what about some of the privateer bikes? They have some pretty good stuff.
PTshox
3/10/2018 1:00pm
ML... what mods are required to put the KYB lower tubes and AOS spring internals into the WP upper tube?

Melicar
3/10/2018 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2018 1:31pm
PTshox wrote:
ML... what mods are required to put the KYB lower tubes and AOS spring internals into the WP upper tube? KYB lower tubes, lugs, AOS spring...
ML... what mods are required to put the KYB lower tubes and AOS spring internals into the WP upper tube?

Technical Touch has a kit to install KYB lugs and internals into the WP forks already so the only difference is they are using a KYB lower also.
Ebs
3/10/2018 2:22pm
Always amazed the little changes are something these guys can notice, shows how hard they're pushing these machines.

The only engine mount changes I'm going to notice is not having any.
jemcee
3/10/2018 3:36pm
Ebs wrote:
Always amazed the little changes are something these guys can notice, shows how hard they're pushing these machines. The only engine mount changes I'm going to...
Always amazed the little changes are something these guys can notice, shows how hard they're pushing these machines.

The only engine mount changes I'm going to notice is not having any.
haha man same here.. People would often get on my bike and ask me when I crashed cause my bars were bent, my answer was usually 'aaah dunno maybe that one last week' haha I was not a tester!

How about the little tiny hole they drill in the hanger that changes the feel of the bike? Shut up ya dickheads you're makin it up haha
brycepdh
3/10/2018 6:37pm
jemcee wrote:
haha man same here.. People would often get on my bike and ask me when I crashed cause my bars were bent, my answer was usually...
haha man same here.. People would often get on my bike and ask me when I crashed cause my bars were bent, my answer was usually 'aaah dunno maybe that one last week' haha I was not a tester!

How about the little tiny hole they drill in the hanger that changes the feel of the bike? Shut up ya dickheads you're makin it up haha
Haha this. I'm the same too \, one time at racing my dad asked me how's the bike? notice any weird things? I then say ahhhh.... the bike handles the way it normally does...... well actually maybe the front end felt a little weird that race but not sure. Because i'm an idiot dad then said yeah that's probably because you have a puncture on the front wheel. *facepalm*

Post a reply to: Reed’s new hybrid forks?

The Latest