Reed to ride 250 2 stroke at Monster Cup?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/5/2017 1:57 PM

Did anyone pick that rumor up in the Pulp show last night? He said that's the rumor going around, that Chad might show up and race on a 250 2 stroke, not for Yamaha, but possibly on a Yamaha... I'm really surprised I haven't seen that thread on here yet. Thoughts anyone? I'd say he would be around 10-15. No traction on a 2 stroke, lack of power, etc.

|

9/5/2017 2:04 PM

racing a two stroke in supercross is something that never happens because of the ama strict regulations. I think the manufactures have to pay a certain amount for them to be able to run bikes and two strokes never make the cut, I think ktm & husky are the only ones who pay it.

|

9/5/2017 2:09 PM

zac_k3 wrote:

racing a two stroke in supercross is something that never happens because of the ama strict regulations. I think the manufactures have to pay a certain amount for them to be able to run bikes and two strokes never make the cut, I think ktm & husky are the only ones who pay it.

He could ride a CR500 if he wanted, it's the Monster Cup.

|

9/5/2017 2:13 PM

zac_k3 wrote:

racing a two stroke in supercross is something that never happens because of the ama strict regulations. I think the manufactures have to pay a certain amount for them to be able to run bikes and two strokes never make the cut, I think ktm & husky are the only ones who pay it.

SEE ARE125 wrote:

He could ride a CR500 if he wanted, it's the Monster Cup.

does the AMA rules not apply to the monster cup?

|

9/5/2017 2:23 PM

Why would he bother? That thing isnt going to keep up with factory 450s

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

9/5/2017 2:26 PM

zac_k3 wrote:

racing a two stroke in supercross is something that never happens because of the ama strict regulations. I think the manufactures have to pay a certain amount for them to be able to run bikes and two strokes never make the cut, I think ktm & husky are the only ones who pay it.

SEE ARE125 wrote:

He could ride a CR500 if he wanted, it's the Monster Cup.

zac_k3 wrote:

does the AMA rules not apply to the monster cup?

this isnt an ama event. you can effectively race what you want.

most people use this event though as a warm up for sx to get an idea of where their setups are.

the main area a 250 would suffer would be on start but last year they had the grating which eliminates the traction on a start, but in vegas the dirt is pretty hard and a 250 will struggle either way.

if he shows up, its purely for fun

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

9/5/2017 2:34 PM

so none of this applies to monster cup?Photo

|

9/5/2017 2:36 PM

if he raced every race on a YZ250 he would have so many fans going crazy for him

|

9/5/2017 2:40 PM

Too bad they still have the fuel restrictions in place so no leaded fuel. That hurts a two strokes potential and the governing bodies know that. I'm not sure why its still in place for the MEC as there are practically no other restrictions. He could do well on a 250 with leaded fuel and with a big bore who knows what could happen but it'd be cool to see.

Any Alta's running?

|

9/5/2017 2:45 PM

|

9/5/2017 2:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2017 2:58 PM

Reed will be racing his YZ250 against Carmichael on his RM250 at the AUS-X Open. I wouldn't think he would try it against a full field. Probably only for one off things.

|

9/5/2017 4:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2017 4:29 PM

Stroker kit!


lol

|

9/5/2017 5:11 PM

The only way Reed rides a 2 stroke at MEC is a couple of laps throwing whips and nac nacs as a farewell from the sport

|

9/5/2017 5:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2017 5:58 PM

Sure. The AMA doesn't allow 250 2 strokes in the "250 SX" class because they lack power and traction.

It would be cool to see Reed or anyone on a smoker. They would do just fine.

|

[i]There are two things I can’t stand in this world.
People who are intolerant of others because of their choice of motor type … and 4 strokes!


9/5/2017 6:20 PM

I doubt the trade off of looking cool on a 2 stroke would out weigh the embarrassment of getting smoked. No pun intended. Not a chance.

|

9/5/2017 6:56 PM

He's been building up a replica of this 04 bike, so who knows maybe he wants to really ride it and see if it's what he remembers. It's not like he's realistically going to go for the million, so why not have some fun and get people stoked while doing it?

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



9/5/2017 8:31 PM

Tracks are pretty different now, but Reed was an animal in 03/04

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

9/6/2017 1:57 AM

Would love to see him moto down on this bad boy.

Photo

|

9/6/2017 2:00 AM

Acidreamer wrote:

Why would he bother? That thing isnt going to keep up with factory 450s

Neither is whatever non-factory 450 he would be running. But this bike would be swarmed with fans.

|

9/6/2017 6:14 AM

mxgoon wrote:

Would love to see him moto down on this bad boy.

Photo

Just watch the 05 SX season bro...

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


9/6/2017 6:22 AM

How about a yz490

|

9/6/2017 6:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2017 6:39 AM

JM485 wrote:

He's been building up a replica of this 04 bike, so who knows maybe he wants to really ride it and see if it's what he remembers. It's not like he's realistically going to go for the million, so why not have some fun and get people stoked while doing it?

Because he wants to do well at this event and that won't happen on a 250 2 stroke.

|

9/6/2017 7:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2017 7:13 AM

JM485 wrote:

He's been building up a replica of this 04 bike, so who knows maybe he wants to really ride it and see if it's what he remembers. It's not like he's realistically going to go for the million, so why not have some fun and get people stoked while doing it?

Jt$ wrote:

Because he wants to do well at this event and that won't happen on a 250 2 stroke.

The fastest riders win, not the fastest bikes. RC won on a Honda 250T, then a 450F in 04, he won on a 250T in 05, and then won when he went back to a 450F. A Factory prepped 250T with a top tier rider would still be competitive. There are more advantages to riding a 450F, sure, but the 250T would still compete. Fast is fast.

Would Reed be faster on a 450F? Likely. Would he still absolutely shred a Factory YZ250? I think he would.

|

9/6/2017 7:32 AM

8686 wrote:

The fastest riders win, not the fastest bikes. RC won on a Honda 250T, then a 450F in 04, he won on a 250T in 05, and then won when he went back to a 450F. A Factory prepped 250T with a top tier rider would still be competitive. There are more advantages to riding a 450F, sure, but the 250T would still compete. Fast is fast.

Would Reed be faster on a 450F? Likely. Would he still absolutely shred a Factory YZ250? I think he would.

I appreciate the 2 stroke love but you're talking about 4 strokes circa 2004 and 2005. This is 2017 on 2018 models with highly developed ECU's, fuel maps, rate of change traction control, 65+ HP, etc on a track like Vegas for MEC which has little traction and a crazy fast layout. It would go very poorly for anyone on a 250.

|

9/6/2017 7:39 AM

Jt$ wrote:

I appreciate the 2 stroke love but you're talking about 4 strokes circa 2004 and 2005. This is 2017 on 2018 models with highly developed ECU's, fuel maps, rate of change traction control, 65+ HP, etc on a track like Vegas for MEC which has little traction and a crazy fast layout. It would go very poorly for anyone on a 250.

After reading this...I envision so many crushed souls...

I wonder what the deal is...if it's people don't want to let go of the past, they want to feel younger, to relive their 'glory days', or just stubborn, but I don't understand why/how people think bikes built and developed over a decade ago will compete with new technology.

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

9/6/2017 7:40 AM

Fuck it let him drop down to the 250 class and let him rip that bad boy. He's about Davalos' age lol.

Braaap!

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

9/6/2017 7:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2017 7:56 AM

huck wrote:

After reading this...I envision so many crushed souls...

I wonder what the deal is...if it's people don't want to let go of the past, they want to feel younger, to relive their 'glory days', or just stubborn, but I don't understand why/how people think bikes built and developed over a decade ago will compete with new technology.

But the issue is not really competing with new badass technology or decades of product development. Chad's 20 year old YZ250 is perfectly competitive against other more "modern" 250s. It is the rules that hold it back, not its technology.

So, that's where we sit. No real improvement in performance, and a shit-ton more expense for most riders.

|

9/6/2017 7:55 AM

Jt$ wrote:

I appreciate the 2 stroke love but you're talking about 4 strokes circa 2004 and 2005. This is 2017 on 2018 models with highly developed ECU's, fuel maps, rate of change traction control, 65+ HP, etc on a track like Vegas for MEC which has little traction and a crazy fast layout. It would go very poorly for anyone on a 250.

huck wrote:

After reading this...I envision so many crushed souls...

I wonder what the deal is...if it's people don't want to let go of the past, they want to feel younger, to relive their 'glory days', or just stubborn, but I don't understand why/how people think bikes built and developed over a decade ago will compete with new technology.

Dirty Points wrote:

But the issue is not really competing with new badass technology or decades of product development. Chad's 20 year old YZ250 is perfectly competitive against other more "modern" 250s. It is the rules that hold it back, not its technology.

So, that's where we sit. No real improvement in performance, and a shit-ton more expense for most riders.

Not necessarily, but I see your point.

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

9/6/2017 8:12 AM

8686 wrote:

The fastest riders win, not the fastest bikes. RC won on a Honda 250T, then a 450F in 04, he won on a 250T in 05, and then won when he went back to a 450F. A Factory prepped 250T with a top tier rider would still be competitive. There are more advantages to riding a 450F, sure, but the 250T would still compete. Fast is fast.

Would Reed be faster on a 450F? Likely. Would he still absolutely shred a Factory YZ250? I think he would.

Jt$ wrote:

I appreciate the 2 stroke love but you're talking about 4 strokes circa 2004 and 2005. This is 2017 on 2018 models with highly developed ECU's, fuel maps, rate of change traction control, 65+ HP, etc on a track like Vegas for MEC which has little traction and a crazy fast layout. It would go very poorly for anyone on a 250.

huck wrote:

After reading this...I envision so many crushed souls...

I wonder what the deal is...if it's people don't want to let go of the past, they want to feel younger, to relive their 'glory days', or just stubborn, but I don't understand why/how people think bikes built and developed over a decade ago will compete with new technology.

Some are stuck in the old days,. He has a chance to win big $$ at these races, not make some guys on vital.blow their load watching him ride around in 15th place on that smoker. He doesn't need the $$, but also he doesn't want to be beat by the regular 15th place dudes.

|

9/6/2017 10:27 AM

Jt$ wrote:

I appreciate the 2 stroke love but you're talking about 4 strokes circa 2004 and 2005. This is 2017 on 2018 models with highly developed ECU's, fuel maps, rate of change traction control, 65+ HP, etc on a track like Vegas for MEC which has little traction and a crazy fast layout. It would go very poorly for anyone on a 250.

...bringing facts and common sense into this overflowing septic tank of two-stroke nostalgia is like trying to teach your dog to sing.

It wastes your time and only annoys the dog...

|