Reed out at JGR?

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/7/2019 10:25pm
I see that JGR just picked up Pirelli as a sponsor for motocross this year. Obviously they're not dead yet...
JGR have been running Pirelli tires for years.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
5/7/2019 10:30pm
I see that JGR just picked up Pirelli as a sponsor for motocross this year. Obviously they're not dead yet...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think you're thinking of the Stew years. They ran Pirelli and he used a leftover works Dunlop tyre in practice one night with pirelli stickers on it. They haven't been using Pirelli for a while. They used Dunlop during SX this year.
hamncheeze
5/7/2019 10:34pm
I remember them on Pirelli maybe back in 2014 with Grant and Brayton, but I think once Barcia came on board they went to Dunlop, or maybe after Barcia's first year in 2015?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/7/2019 10:51pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
haydos25 wrote:
I think you're thinking of the Stew years. They ran Pirelli and he used a leftover works Dunlop tyre in practice one night with pirelli stickers...
I think you're thinking of the Stew years. They ran Pirelli and he used a leftover works Dunlop tyre in practice one night with pirelli stickers on it. They haven't been using Pirelli for a while. They used Dunlop during SX this year.
2013-2016 were the Pirelli years.

Looks like they switched back to Dunlop in 2017.

Thought for sure they were still on them.

Still would like to see more tire manufacturers in the sport. Michelin and Bridgestone make great tires.

The Shop

Ray_MXS
5/7/2019 11:30pm
MOTO732 wrote:
Oh, so as long as a guy gets LUCKY and hit's the podium a couple time s a year, that the standard for a factory ride...
Oh, so as long as a guy gets LUCKY and hit's the podium a couple time s a year, that the standard for a factory ride? Now, add that he's the only 37 y/o to ever do that and it's supposed to impress people? If he was as good as he thinks or some of you think, he'd have a ride now wouldn't he?
Oh wow you.... You aren't very bright are you.
Dougy1
5/8/2019 1:30am
MOTO732 wrote:
Oh, so as long as a guy gets LUCKY and hit's the podium a couple time s a year, that the standard for a factory ride...
Oh, so as long as a guy gets LUCKY and hit's the podium a couple time s a year, that the standard for a factory ride? Now, add that he's the only 37 y/o to ever do that and it's supposed to impress people? If he was as good as he thinks or some of you think, he'd have a ride now wouldn't he?
Ray_MXS wrote:
Oh wow you.... You aren't very bright are you.
harsh but some what true...
But still impressive his tenacity and how fast he still goes at 37
But yet as an Aussie I look forward to the Lawrence brothers etc getting going in the US. Ol chad has run its course...
ns503
5/8/2019 3:28am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
haydos25 wrote:
I think you're thinking of the Stew years. They ran Pirelli and he used a leftover works Dunlop tyre in practice one night with pirelli stickers...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
2013-2016 were the Pirelli years. Looks like they switched back to Dunlop in 2017. Thought for sure they were still on them. Still would like to...

Still would like to see more tire manufacturers in the sport. Michelin and Bridgestone make great tires.
I think they'd be a good match for Hoosier, myself. Whistling
Sonny
5/8/2019 3:45am
plowboy wrote:
I wish it wasn't so cryptic. Just lay it out.
That's his PR way of recruiting sponsors and securing himself a new ride. Social media is a great tool
5/8/2019 5:03am
Let’s also not forget here that outdoors is expensive and why are they going to put jimmy D out there spending thousands for him to maybe a 12th overall at best? There’s way more money in supercross... look at the mcr team. Sx only deal.
BobKerr
5/8/2019 5:13am
MOTO732 wrote:
Yeah, I really don't get this undying fascination with Reed some people have on this site. He "deserves a factory ride" garbage. No...he does not deserve...
Yeah, I really don't get this undying fascination with Reed some people have on this site. He "deserves a factory ride" garbage. No...he does not deserve a factory ride. He's a satellite team rider at best. Many say he's a great fan and sponsor draw. Yet, sponsor draw/money seems to be the exact problem for several years now and even when he ran his own team. He was a great rider at one time, but he's definitely at the end of his run. It's time he hung up the boots and just accepted the fact that other riders deserve a ride more than he does.
If another rider wants his spot they simply need to ride faster than him.
ricky racer
5/8/2019 6:24am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
haydos25 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
2013-2016 were the Pirelli years. Looks like they switched back to Dunlop in 2017. Thought for sure they were still on them. Still would like to...

GPR245
5/8/2019 6:32am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2019 6:37am
Pirelli is a "Multi Year Deal" so hopefully this means there's plans to run a program in 2020
kaptkaos
5/8/2019 7:10am
Well we should just tell my Miami Dolphins to close down shop then because they spend millions every years and they still suck Donkey Balls.

Anton_514
5/8/2019 8:38am
JBone and I discussed the decision to lay off five staff members and three riders on Friday. It's clear that he and Coy delayed it as much as they could, but with a long summer ahead and no new money in the bank, it had to be done.

The team will be on the track in 2020 and from what JBone said, will be around for as long as they just break even.

I feel terrible for the guys that got let go, JGRMX has done a very good job at hiring a wide range of talented staff members and it sounds like some of them are at a crossroads in their careers now. Knowing their skills and willingness to work, they should wind up somewhere.

https://www.swapmotolive.com/jeremy-albrecht-discusses-changes-at-jgrmx/
hamncheeze
5/8/2019 9:02am
Thanks for posting that Anton. I really hope JGR can land a title sponsor. The last thing the sport needs is for any less rides.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
5/8/2019 12:35pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
How many factory riders podium-ed this year? How do you get lucky landing on the podium of a 450 main, if you only need luck maybe...
How many factory riders podium-ed this year?

How do you get lucky landing on the podium of a 450 main, if you only need luck maybe ill skip buying a lotto ticket for 8 months, save up all my luck and race A1

If a team is willing to pay for his services, he belongs out there, if he qualifies for a night show he belongs out there, if he makes a main, he belongs out there, no matter what his age or where you think he is in his career right now.

There is what, 14 factory rides , two from each manufacture plus the Rocky Mountain KTM team,

He was running inside the top ten in the championship and half a chance at a top five before his injury, but does not deserve one of the 14 top rides? please explain.
450 Podiums - 2019
Rider Podiums
1 Cooper Webb 13
2 Marvin Musquin 12
3 Eli Tomac 10
4 Ken Roczen 6
5 Blake Baggett 5
6 Justin Barcia 1
7 Dean Wilson 1
8 Chad Reed 1
9 Jason Anderson 1
10 Zach Osborne 1
Rotaholic
5/8/2019 12:36pm
Man that's so sad, really appreciate the honesty though from JGR. Hope they can land a decent sponsor
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
5/8/2019 12:39pm
Nuffsaid wrote:
I was under the impression that teams aspired to win championships not the Social Media
I think mainly the people who are writing the checks just care about selling products. Winning championships is one way, and maybe the best way, to help sell products. But not the only way.
5/8/2019 12:46pm
I think Reed has made a ton of fans last couple of years, including me. But if JGR is around next year and they are the top factory team for the Suzuki brand they owe it to the sponsors to have top level riders worthy of a top level factory team. IMO factory riders should be capable of winning the championship and I'm not hating on Reed, as I said I'm a fan, but he's not at the level of the top guys in the class anymore. Giving a factory ride to someone just to keep them around for another year because some fans want that, is not a recipe for success.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
5/8/2019 12:50pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Thanks for posting that Anton. I really hope JGR can land a title sponsor. The last thing the sport needs is for any less rides.
Maybe this is worthy of its own thread.

I agree with the idea of " The last thing the sport needs is for any less rides." But what would be the ideal way to build a ridership field? Each year there are really only 6 or 7 guys who have a realistic shot to win a 450 Main event, and usually only 4 or 5 who actually do win one. Maybe a few other guys can get on the podium.

Would any of the privateer riders realistically have a shot of joining them if they were on full factory equipment?

So what would be the ideal number of racers (realistically) that should be participating and earning a living doing this sport? Earning enough money that they could support a family and build a savings?
5/8/2019 12:54pm
Mr. Knobby wrote:
I think Reed has made a ton of fans last couple of years, including me. But if JGR is around next year and they are the...
I think Reed has made a ton of fans last couple of years, including me. But if JGR is around next year and they are the top factory team for the Suzuki brand they owe it to the sponsors to have top level riders worthy of a top level factory team. IMO factory riders should be capable of winning the championship and I'm not hating on Reed, as I said I'm a fan, but he's not at the level of the top guys in the class anymore. Giving a factory ride to someone just to keep them around for another year because some fans want that, is not a recipe for success.
When Reed went out with injury, he was sitting 7th in the points, with one podium under his belt. That puts him in the upper half of factory-supported riders in terms of results.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
5/8/2019 1:00pm
Mr. Knobby wrote:
I think Reed has made a ton of fans last couple of years, including me. But if JGR is around next year and they are the...
So only championship contenders should have a factory ride? So that narrows it down to about 5 riders. Who would you hire next year, if you were in charge?
Brent
5/8/2019 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2019 1:58pm
Zycki11 wrote:
Rumors floating about JGR possibly being not around
milliebays wrote:
this is what it reads like to me
That has been the rumor for the last five months, No title sponsor plus Coy Gibbs has had enough of not winning anything.

They say they will be back, but after this season Im sure there are some heavy decisions to be made...

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/8/2019 2:07pm
Zycki11 wrote:
Rumors floating about JGR possibly being not around
milliebays wrote:
this is what it reads like to me
Brent wrote:
That has been the rumor for the last five months, No title sponsor plus Coy Gibbs has had enough of not winning anything. They say they...
That has been the rumor for the last five months, No title sponsor plus Coy Gibbs has had enough of not winning anything.

They say they will be back, but after this season Im sure there are some heavy decisions to be made...

How does he expect to win anything when they say they don't want a top guy?
Motox627!
5/8/2019 2:16pm
Because we definitely need less 450 teams than we have now...………..
wolf918
5/8/2019 2:47pm
This is just shit. I hate the idea of loosing rides and struggling teams. If there was only a way to put wp’s minds and heart in hill’s body. I know it’s dangerous but, with 1 eye I still believe Weston would finish better than hill all day long outdoors.
ricky racer
5/8/2019 2:57pm
wolf918 wrote:
This is just shit. I hate the idea of loosing rides and struggling teams. If there was only a way to put wp’s minds and heart...
This is just shit. I hate the idea of loosing rides and struggling teams. If there was only a way to put wp’s minds and heart in hill’s body. I know it’s dangerous but, with 1 eye I still believe Weston would finish better than hill all day long outdoors.
In my mind, vision at the elite level is one of the most important assets required. With a vision handicap, as much as I like Weston, I'm afraid his competing at the elite level is over.
5/8/2019 3:14pm
I'd sure like to hear who you have lined up that can replace their production.
mauidex
5/8/2019 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2019 3:19pm
didn't Suzuki have the top factory team just a few years ago with RCH and Ken Roczen and folded it up because they would not support what was needed to continue on at a championship level???? sure seems to me that most of these problems are Suzukis lack of desire and commitment than any of the partners who gave them a shot...........MXGP anyone?!??!?!WhistlingWhistling
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
5/8/2019 3:21pm
I'd sure like to hear who you have lined up that can replace their production.
Seely, Wilson, Cianciarulo (obviously unless he already has a contract), probably Davalos, Savatgy, Bogle, Musquin and maybe even Bowers.

Post a reply to: Reed out at JGR?

The Latest