Reed doing it for his love of the sport

jeffro503
12/31/2017 4:02pm
Tuna wrote:
Lol at people saying he is doing it for the love of the sport. While that may be part of it, he’s not in it to...
Lol at people saying he is doing it for the love of the sport. While that may be part of it, he’s not in it to lose money. He is a businessman.
jeffro503 wrote:
What if his goal was to just break even? Kind of like what the goal is for every single privateer out there. Some lose a lot...
What if his goal was to just break even? Kind of like what the goal is for every single privateer out there. Some lose a lot of money every year , but believe it or not , some of those guys do it for the race. And that's it.....love of the sport. Yeah , there are guys like that out there.
Tuna wrote:
He wants to break the all time starts record. He likes racing. Maybe he is happy to just break even but in my opinion he is...
He wants to break the all time starts record. He likes racing. Maybe he is happy to just break even but in my opinion he is too savvy of a businessman to just break even. He is a polarizing figure and I’m happy to see him continue to race but I think it’s naive to assume he is only doing it for the love. He loves money and attention as well.
Yeah I get that. Don't get me wrong , I'm sure he's doing it for a paycheck from his sponsor's , but I think it's a combination of that and love of the sport. He knows he aint making the kind of money he did 10 years ago , but keeps chugging along. It's gotta say something. And again , he doesn't need the money. No use busting your ass to lose money , so as long as he's having fun and making some money too boot.....why not?
144rider
12/31/2017 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2017 4:28pm
Racing is in his blood. Simple as that. It's not easy to quit an addiction. If it wasn't dirt bikes it'd be something else.

Thousands of people all getting up on their feet cheering simultaneously when you make a pass, yeah that'd be easy to give up. Like crack.

He might quit if he could.

APLMAN99
12/31/2017 4:26pm
Hard to say if anyone "needs" the money in a situation like this. Plenty of athletes have probably made far more than Reed has during their careers then are practically broke within 5-10 years of their retirement. Not that I think that Reed is broke by any means, but I think that he's been around long enough to know that maintaining his lifestyle would be a lot easier with the largest amount of money squirreled away as possible.

Might be important to remember that part of Reed's earnings peak was during the market crapout of 2008, so he's probably very aware that investments can lose a lot of their value pretty quickly. He may have lost a bunch then himself if he sold stocks and mutual funds during that trough.

I'm just happy for Reed that he's still able to race as competitively as he has been at this age. He's never been a rider that I've rooted for, but it's pretty cool that he just keeps going and going.

12/31/2017 4:58pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
I’ll put money reed will beat barcia and Webb more than a few times this year. Yamaha will be sorry. Top 8 overall if he stays...
I’ll put money reed will beat barcia and Webb more than a few times this year. Yamaha will be sorry. Top 8 overall if he stays healthy.
IceMan446 wrote:
Reed won't beat Webb this year in the series standings. In fact at very few races if any. Reed is out of shape, just started riding...
Reed won't beat Webb this year in the series standings. In fact at very few races if any.

Reed is out of shape, just started riding and will be behind once he does join the series IMO

Barcia won't make the whole year.
I got reed beating webb and without a doubt barcia I also got Jmart finishing better than webb in first three rounds

The Shop

oshow
12/31/2017 6:17pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
I’ll put money reed will beat barcia and Webb more than a few times this year. Yamaha will be sorry. Top 8 overall if he stays...
I’ll put money reed will beat barcia and Webb more than a few times this year. Yamaha will be sorry. Top 8 overall if he stays healthy.
IceMan446 wrote:
Reed won't beat Webb this year in the series standings. In fact at very few races if any. Reed is out of shape, just started riding...
Reed won't beat Webb this year in the series standings. In fact at very few races if any.

Reed is out of shape, just started riding and will be behind once he does join the series IMO

Barcia won't make the whole year.
Lmao at Icebrain...

I have no idea about Barcia. But you are the person Reed has made a fool out of his whole career
oshow
12/31/2017 6:18pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Ask yourself this......if you had 40 mil in the bank , would you risk your own neck to make another 500K? What would be the point...
Ask yourself this......if you had 40 mil in the bank , would you risk your own neck to make another 500K? What would be the point , if not for the love of the sport?
I'd do a lot for another $500K
12/31/2017 8:38pm
Haa!?Listen to this fucking clown!
-His entire career eh? Fuck man you kill me..to then go and say ‘you must be young’ to another post and act like your some fucking wise old head of motocross/supercross!? If that is infact the case oh great wise one,surely you could respect what this man has accomplished throughout his career?
Going back to ohh fuck I don’t know-his g.p career? Taking on the American dream for him and winning? Starting his own team and successfully running it? The sponsors that according your fucking dumb ass ‘didn’t come easy’ but yet he got them,has them and are still behind him on yet again another new venture in his career!? Out living/riding the career of every other top dog in this sport for which he’s ridden with and ALL barring one are officially retired?! McGrath,Carmichael,Stuart,Dungey,Villopoto
The season ending injuries? Chadapault? Of course not forgetting when this happened he was winning the fucking outdoor series against a competition younger than him on his self made team with his ‘didn’t come easy’ sponsors!?
Just making the main every damn weekend with the current contingency of riders in the 450 class?!

The doors open man-step right up! Take the dudes place...Enter the race...to do that is to beat him,knock him from his perch,let those ‘young guys’ make his memory fade.
?

Sit down dickhead.
And whilst you are,listen to the crowd right before he pulls into the stadium.

I suggest you clap.
12/31/2017 10:32pm
It's just awesome that he is out there doing it again. He will have some very good finishes again like he has done every year of his career. He is also a bit of a poster boy for blokes like me who are a bit older but still want to ride(obviously no where near as good). Go Reedy!
zac_k3
12/31/2017 10:41pm
Haha Reed had has three kids and a wife, he may really love the sport but no doubt the money keeps him around for the most part.
12/31/2017 10:51pm
Reed has a huge ego and needs to feed it. If he had a solid post-race plan in place, he wouldn't care anything about SX ..
Lightning78
12/31/2017 11:03pm
Iff (thats a geometry term for those that think its a typo lol)Chad Reed wanted to sell out each and every spot on his carbon copy of a fan experience (ala JT & then BTO, now RMATV & WPS) then he should try to bring James "The Bubba" Stewart onto his team. I mean at that point he could literally do two separate experiences one for James and one for Chad himself and charge the same price for each one and I'd be willing to bet they both sell out every spot....

He could fund the shit outta an SX team for 2018 plus get James paid independently of the lucrative Seven gear deal James is rumored to be working on for 2018 and I sincerely believe James would enjoy riding the Husky ..... Hmmmm, now that I think about it I don't think that Chad or anyone he potentially brings on is tied to any specific brand.

They can ride what they choose and collect contingency money for it not to mention I'm sure some very large Kickbacks if they start doing well in the way of money and Factory Parts there's probably plenty of Parts left over from KTM and Husqvarna's last year efforts or at least specs for the parts and since the Husky is damn near at the minimum AMA weight limit bone stock throwing a little bit of titanium at it and they're right at the minimum weight level where as any other bike they choose would have to be a full on Factory bike just to shave off the extra 20lbs the Japanese overweight trail bikes carry when rolled off the showroom floor. In stock trim the engines are lethal and neither Rider would necessarily NEED a factory ECU ...really just some kit suspension bec those two bikes are the closest things to true race-ready bikes off the showroom floor for a top-level AMA Pro that has zero Factory support by gettimg to a factory level bike with minimal unobtanium factory parts.

It's absurd to really see how much money the factory teams spend on titanium Parts alone for their bikes and that's just on paper because it's a write off but when it's coming out of someone's pocket book the KTM and husky are the only two bikes I think that have a drastically huge advantage in this department. The Japanese bikes are phenominal dont get me wrong but on average (sams Kawi) the Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda average 20lbs more than the Austrian bikes and thats a BIG head start not spending copius amounts of money and time finding ways to lose those 20lbs on top of developing a goid race bike at the highest level. Hard to believe James wouldn't be happy to race a bike that had that much of a weight advantage IF he were actually still into racing. I'm sure the Yamaha and Suzuki as he raced in recent years were no spring chickens LOL even with the full level support he had.

Hopefully this long diatribe made sense because I was trying to get a point across and sort of rambled on a little too much
Lightning78
12/31/2017 11:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2017 11:06pm
I'm surprised no one noticed in that Instagram post Chad tagged technical touch so it looks to me like he's not going to be running show up kit suspension he will be running KYB kit suspension

Edit: oops!!! I totally did not see the Instagram post above the one where he tagged all his sponsors with the picture of the bike and the KYB stickers on the forks LOL
Crush
1/1/2018 1:38am Edited Date/Time 1/1/2018 1:39am
There are some pretty fucking ignorant posts in this thread.

Post a reply to: Reed doing it for his love of the sport

The Latest