Reed JGR Observation

tprice07
How much did Chad Reed have to do with the Yamaha Factory Team's resurgence?

They then signed Cooper Webb which led to JGR dumping Yamaha and going with Suzuki. The current rumors have Chad Reed going to JGR.

Is it ironic that Chad Reed contributed to taking Cooper Webb away from JGR?
|
kage173
6/6/2017 9:06am
I always got the impression that Yamaha came back because of Cooper. They knew they wanted him on a 450, it just happened to work out that Reed was available and it gave them a chance to show CW their commitment to a race team to help sign him, and it let them warm up a little before the real effort of going full time with CW.

I have no idea, but my impression was they were going to go full bore with CW with or without Reed.
bvm111
6/6/2017 9:08am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2017 9:09am
yes... and no
Mit12
6/6/2017 9:14am
This is not the first time Yamaha did this. Mc wanted Reed on his Chaparral Yamaha team and Yamaha decided to start up their in house factory team after a long stint of having satellite teams as their factory effort. Kind of a crappy move by Yamaha in my book but it is business.
Crush
6/6/2017 9:32am
Mit12 wrote:
This is not the first time Yamaha did this. Mc wanted Reed on his Chaparral Yamaha team and Yamaha decided to start up their in house...
This is not the first time Yamaha did this. Mc wanted Reed on his Chaparral Yamaha team and Yamaha decided to start up their in house factory team after a long stint of having satellite teams as their factory effort. Kind of a crappy move by Yamaha in my book but it is business.
When?

Ferry and DV were on factory Yamaha on 01/02?

The Shop

Paul333
6/6/2017 10:29am
I've read Yamaha fired up the factory team again for Webb. Reed came along for the ride for his popularity, Supercross only contract, and from his bike set-up skills.
500guy
6/6/2017 10:49am
it was no secret JGR & Yamaha were butting heads , JGR finally got a deal that Toyota would agree too and they were gone.

Yamaha had to do something.
aeffertz
6/6/2017 1:51pm
Ironic is not the right word, that's for sure.
IceMan446
6/6/2017 2:39pm
daemon616 wrote:
Drop Barcia pick up Reed is my prediction.
While I think you have more consistency with Reed it still doesn't put them in a championship winning spot.

You are paying Reed quite a bit I would assume and you still don't get any more wins or titles from having him compared to the current roster.
6/6/2017 2:54pm
Maybe Yamaha and Cooper didn't really want Chad's input, and with a bike that he wasn't 100% comfortable on, he's taken another avenue closer to home/less travel time for testing-work duties with somewhere that wants his input and with a rider or riders who do too. His stock isn't where it was a few years ago so I imagine that allows for a decent caliber rider with potential to come aboard also. Like Bogle or AC
tprice07
6/6/2017 2:58pm
daemon616 wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
While I think you have more consistency with Reed it still doesn't put them in a championship winning spot. You are paying Reed quite a bit...
While I think you have more consistency with Reed it still doesn't put them in a championship winning spot.

You are paying Reed quite a bit I would assume and you still don't get any more wins or titles from having him compared to the current roster.
The end goal for sponsors is exposure, right?

So does reed get more than the 3rd or 4th place guy?
newmann
6/6/2017 3:34pm
Mit12 wrote:
This is not the first time Yamaha did this. Mc wanted Reed on his Chaparral Yamaha team and Yamaha decided to start up their in house...
Can you imagine Reed on that shitshow of a team when it all fell apart? Holy hell he would still be tweeting shit talk to this day. Andrew played it so cool, never a bad word about any of it. Always impressed with Shorty.
oshow
6/6/2017 4:01pm
Maybe Yamaha and Cooper didn't really want Chad's input, and with a bike that he wasn't 100% comfortable on, he's taken another avenue closer to home/less...
Maybe Yamaha and Cooper didn't really want Chad's input, and with a bike that he wasn't 100% comfortable on, he's taken another avenue closer to home/less travel time for testing-work duties with somewhere that wants his input and with a rider or riders who do too. His stock isn't where it was a few years ago so I imagine that allows for a decent caliber rider with potential to come aboard also. Like Bogle or AC
That's laughable
Mit12
6/6/2017 4:10pm
Mit12 wrote:
newmann wrote:
Can you imagine Reed on that shitshow of a team when it all fell apart? Holy hell he would still be tweeting shit talk to this...
Can you imagine Reed on that shitshow of a team when it all fell apart? Holy hell he would still be tweeting shit talk to this day. Andrew played it so cool, never a bad word about any of it. Always impressed with Shorty.
You are way off. The Chaparral Yamaha team was in 98, 99, 2000 and Mc won the SX championships those years. I guess you were not born yet?
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
6/6/2017 4:12pm
daemon616 wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
While I think you have more consistency with Reed it still doesn't put them in a championship winning spot. You are paying Reed quite a bit...

It's true. Chad's autograph line right now is about the most significant thing he has to offer to a team in my opinion. Rightfully so as it's quite long, but I feel it'll just be the same thing as always, he won't like the bike (it is brand new after all) and then his results will show that it's about time to hang the boots up.
newmann
6/6/2017 4:31pm
Mit12 wrote:
newmann wrote:
Can you imagine Reed on that shitshow of a team when it all fell apart? Holy hell he would still be tweeting shit talk to this...
Mit12 wrote:
You are way off. The Chaparral Yamaha team was in 98, 99, 2000 and Mc won the SX championships those years. I guess you were not...
You are way off. The Chaparral Yamaha team was in 98, 99, 2000 and Mc won the SX championships those years. I guess you were not born yet?
LOL, guess I never got past MC and Chapparel and I hadn't started drinking yet. I skipped right on past to the short lived MC Chap Honda gig. Men in Blue, frosted tips, I was there.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
6/6/2017 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2017 6:56pm
Mit12 wrote:
newmann wrote:
Mit12 wrote:
You are way off. The Chaparral Yamaha team was in 98, 99, 2000 and Mc won the SX championships those years. I guess you were not...
I have to ask what the heck are you talking about? Reed came here in 02 after the team was done. When he came he was on a Yamaha contract from day one.

Yamaha had a team until 2006.
6/6/2017 6:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2017 7:01pm
Maybe Yamaha and Cooper didn't really want Chad's input, and with a bike that he wasn't 100% comfortable on, he's taken another avenue closer to home/less...
oshow wrote:
That's laughable
OK. WelI guessed wrong

But are you saying there's no interest in Reed going to JGR?
nc97
6/6/2017 9:20pm
Yamaha didnt sign Reed till they had a letter of intent from Cooper..Cooper is the reason Yamaha is back ..
Crush
6/6/2017 10:48pm
UpTiTe wrote:
I have to ask what the heck are you talking about? Reed came here in 02 after the team was done. When he came he was...
I have to ask what the heck are you talking about? Reed came here in 02 after the team was done. When he came he was on a Yamaha contract from day one.

I feel like I pointed this out and no one else read it haha
mxjon454
6/6/2017 11:05pm
newmann wrote:
Mit12 wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
I have to ask what the heck are you talking about? Reed came here in 02 after the team was done. When he came he was...

Yamaha had a factory team up until 2009 with Hepler and Hill. Idk what the other guy is talking about but MC had his own deal and yamaha still had a factory team. Henry won the '98 outdoor title on a factory yamaha and defended it in '99 and Vullimen was on factory yamaha from 2000 till 2005.
Lightning78
6/6/2017 11:19pm
Paul333 wrote:
I've read Yamaha fired up the factory team again for Webb. Reed came along for the ride for his popularity, Supercross only contract, and from his...
I've read Yamaha fired up the factory team again for Webb. Reed came along for the ride for his popularity, Supercross only contract, and from his bike set-up skills.
No amount of bike set up skills will fix that bike and yes I have ridden one, didnt care for it much, I'm 6'3" and it didn't 'feel' right or like a normal bike when ridden back to back with a bike that had a 'normal' configuration style engine. By no means am I saying that I can feel what Cooper is feeling over that I can push them back to their level but even I could tell that there's something very different about the bike and it did not lend itself to a comfortable feeling with the chassis handling however the engine was incredibly powerful and a pleasure in that aspect on most powerful enough to run with a 500 two-stroke by far the fastest 450 I've ever smelled a leg over. Maybe just maybe there is an actual correlation between the amount of horsepower that bike put out in the low to mid range where is extra Torquay that causes the chassis to flex extremely bad creating the handling Lowe's I don't know but to me that makes sense this is my pin in my opinion only flame on if you must but it does not surprise me that web is not a fan of the bike and that he would do much better on a different brand I wish Yamaha would swallow their pride and come back to a 'normal' style bike and write this one off as a good idea in theory and on paper that just couldn't even to work at the level of the top professionals again not something that I could replicate with my writing but I do understand where these riders dislike for the bike comes from.

Post a reply to: Reed JGR Observation

The Latest