Reduce vibration in hands? Bikes that vibrate the least?

7/28/2022 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2022 12:30pm
I sustained some non-moto injuries to my hands a few years ago that compromised a few of my fingers.

I love riding my Alta because there's 0 vibration, and I don't have to use a clutch (my left index is one of my weakest/stiffest fingers and it fatigues quick).

I'm interested if there's anything I should try to reduce vibration to my hands on my 17 yz250f, and/or what I should replace it with if my main priority is reducing strain on my hands? No idea if a 450 might be better cause in theory I'm less likely to be in a higher RPM range and shifting less? Not sure if a Flexx bar would exacerbate or improve my situation, etc.

Do plan to try a Reckuse on whatever I get next.
|
Steve125
7/28/2022 12:43pm
The best product I've found for reducing hand numbness and fatigue due to chassis rigidity and vibration is to install XTrig bar mounts and use their green elastomers in them. It made a huge difference for me.
gt80rider
7/28/2022 12:49pm
vibrate the least?? Off the top of my head... YZ465.... TM400.... CR480... Smile
Markee
7/28/2022 1:25pm
gt80rider wrote:
vibrate the least?? Off the top of my head... YZ465.... TM400.... CR480... Smile
Great suggestions, but a KX500 is my recommendation, starts easy too.

The Shop

OldPro277
7/28/2022 2:01pm
I hate vibration too--- I have broken both wrists, and have a surgically repaired shoulder, so I really try to reduce the shock and vibration as much as I can. To make things worse , I race strictly 70's-80's Vintage 2 strokes !!!

What worked for me better than ANY of those expensive "fixes" were to shove open cell foam rubber rods ( available on the cheap from McMaster-Carr) inside your bars all the way thru( $5) You'll have to measure your ID of the bars your using to get the right size., and then I used the brass/rubber inserts on the ends about ($ 39) ---really helped the vibration. That idea came from Billy at Luxon. As far as "shock" , I tried a set of ODI bars with the adjustable cross bar, worked great. (even though I'm a Mika guy) ( $ 100) .

I actually have a set of the XC Gear MAKO bar mounts on one of my Husky's, and just really not sold on those for $ 400. My cheap fixes seem to have worked much better.

My advice is to try the step by step approach first- from cheapest to $$$$
mattyhamz2
7/28/2022 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 7/28/2022 2:41pm
Green nail polish. Cuts down vibration in the bars and helps reduce arm pump. Wink

Flexx Bars though would probably really help with this issue.
philG
7/28/2022 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/28/2022 3:00pm
+1 for the X-Trigs Ran those on the CR500 SM we had, no issues at all.

I have heard guys using silicone rubber in the bars too, not an ideal solution, as it adds weight, but it might solve your issue.
plowboy
7/28/2022 3:10pm
gt80rider wrote:
You forgot the ultra smooth SC500 Yammie.Silly
10000hrs
7/28/2022 4:05pm
philG wrote:
+1 for the X-Trigs Ran those on the CR500 SM we had, no issues at all. I have heard guys using silicone rubber in the bars...
+1 for the X-Trigs Ran those on the CR500 SM we had, no issues at all.

I have heard guys using silicone rubber in the bars too, not an ideal solution, as it adds weight, but it might solve your issue.
The silicone idea made me think of the expanding foam polyurethane insulation in
the spray cans. It would be relatively easy to fill the whole handlebar.

Warning: I have not tried this.
Hasletjoe
7/28/2022 7:04pm
gt80rider wrote:
plowboy wrote:
You forgot the ultra smooth SC500 Yammie.Silly
I have a similar group (CZ, Maico,etc) that do not vibrate at all. But they also don't run!
BikePilot
7/28/2022 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/28/2022 7:35pm
Flex bars definitely take the edge off impacts from bumps, I'm not sure if they do much for engine vibration but they may. I'd also balance the front wheel--helps a little at moto speeds and a lot in the desert.

As far as different bikes I think what you have should be pretty smooth. The counter balanced Austrian two strokes all the 250 and 3000s from 17-on) are a little smoother still in my experience.
Dirt.Squirt
7/28/2022 8:05pm
Could always try a huffy or redline
7/29/2022 12:21am
BikePilot wrote:
Flex bars definitely take the edge off impacts from bumps, I'm not sure if they do much for engine vibration but they may. I'd also balance...
Flex bars definitely take the edge off impacts from bumps, I'm not sure if they do much for engine vibration but they may. I'd also balance the front wheel--helps a little at moto speeds and a lot in the desert.

As far as different bikes I think what you have should be pretty smooth. The counter balanced Austrian two strokes all the 250 and 3000s from 17-on) are a little smoother still in my experience.
I really never noticed any vibration until the injury + riding it back to back with the Alta—difference is night and day.
sumdood
7/29/2022 12:40am
OldPro277 wrote:
I hate vibration too--- I have broken both wrists, and have a surgically repaired shoulder, so I really try to reduce the shock and vibration as...
I hate vibration too--- I have broken both wrists, and have a surgically repaired shoulder, so I really try to reduce the shock and vibration as much as I can. To make things worse , I race strictly 70's-80's Vintage 2 strokes !!!

What worked for me better than ANY of those expensive "fixes" were to shove open cell foam rubber rods ( available on the cheap from McMaster-Carr) inside your bars all the way thru( $5) You'll have to measure your ID of the bars your using to get the right size., and then I used the brass/rubber inserts on the ends about ($ 39) ---really helped the vibration. That idea came from Billy at Luxon. As far as "shock" , I tried a set of ODI bars with the adjustable cross bar, worked great. (even though I'm a Mika guy) ( $ 100) .

I actually have a set of the XC Gear MAKO bar mounts on one of my Husky's, and just really not sold on those for $ 400. My cheap fixes seem to have worked much better.

OldPro277
7/29/2022 8:19am
OldPro277 wrote:
I hate vibration too--- I have broken both wrists, and have a surgically repaired shoulder, so I really try to reduce the shock and vibration as...

sumdood wrote:
Yep-- exactly what I used ,except I bought a 15' roll for about $ 30. Did 5 bikes with it.

If you have a piece of aluminum tubing hanging around (even a wind chime ) hang it and tap it with a screwdriver , it will ring (vibrate) wildly. That vibration gets transmitted directly to your hands and fingers . But stick a piece of the rubber/silicone rod in there and it goes completely dead. It obviously kills the vibration, and convinced me to try it. Do it-- it works
SEEMEFIRST
7/29/2022 8:23am
gt80rider wrote:
Markee wrote:
Great suggestions, but a KX500 is my recommendation, starts easy too.
I was going to go with the 84 CR500, but, no, yeah.
SEEMEFIRST
7/29/2022 8:29am
OldPro277 wrote:

sumdood wrote:
"The Barsnake "dampens" out these resonate vibrations because the polymer of the Barsnake has a low hysterisis factor, which means that the polymer doesn't transmit vibrations."

So it just gets it wet? That doesn't make sense.
Luxon MX
7/29/2022 10:06am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2022 12:30pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
"The Barsnake "dampens" out these resonate vibrations because the polymer of the Barsnake has a low hysterisis factor, which means that the polymer doesn't transmit vibrations."...
"The Barsnake "dampens" out these resonate vibrations because the polymer of the Barsnake has a low hysterisis factor, which means that the polymer doesn't transmit vibrations."

So it just gets it wet? That doesn't make sense.
Whoever wrote that paragraph on their website wanted to use a bunch of technical sounding terms without really knowing what they mean... It actually works because the product has a HIGH hysteresis, not low.

Regardless, it helps to damp vibration, so it will definitely help somewhat. The question is really how much does it help?

Pit Row

SEEMEFIRST
7/29/2022 11:28am
Well, my comment was the use of the word "dampen".
The correct word would be "damps".

Dampen means to make you something slightly wet.
Damp, as a verb, means what he was trying to say.

"progressively reduce the amplitude of (an oscillation or vibration).
"concrete structures damp out vibrations ".

Post a reply to: Reduce vibration in hands? Bikes that vibrate the least?

The Latest

The Latest