Redbud 2019

Related:
Create New Tag

1/15/2019 11:41 AM

A friend and i are making the trip over from the uk for the redbud ama national. we have never been to an event before in the usa. hoping for a bit of advice on weather it is best to camp or get a hotel near by? what tickets are the best to get to make a great experience? from all the videos ect online this event looks so much fun and after following the supercross and motorcross for years excited to see it in person and hopefully meet some of the riders is this possible? thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

|

1/15/2019 12:00 PM

If you want the full experience then camp out at the track! Possibly look for an RV rental. I know a lot of people that came from over seas for the MXON rented rv’s.

|

1/15/2019 12:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2019 1:02 PM

B lot. Stop by the local Walmart. Pick up a chainsaw and some blow up dolls. The rest of the legend will happen on its own.

My buddies got an air bnb 20 minutes from the track that was lake front quiet and serene. So you can always go that route too with a rental car!

|

GP740
Since 1987

1/15/2019 2:12 PM

First question is , how big of partiers are you and roughly how old. Than can provide you my thoughts.

|

1/15/2019 3:15 PM

It is a great track to spectate at. Lot's of good vantage points and easy to get around. I live an hour away so I have never stayed at the track, so I have nothing to add there. Don't stay in Benton Harbor Michigan, that I can tell you. South Bend , Indiana or a air bnb is your best bet, not sure there is much in Niles Michigan as far as hotels, but Niles is a decent safe town.

It's a blast.

|

1/15/2019 4:07 PM

deluxeman wrote:

It is a great track to spectate at. Lot's of good vantage points and easy to get around. I live an hour away so I have never stayed at the track, so I have nothing to add there. Don't stay in Benton Harbor Michigan, that I can tell you. South Bend , Indiana or a air bnb is your best bet, not sure there is much in Niles Michigan as far as hotels, but Niles is a decent safe town.

It's a blast.

Just out of curiosity, what's the beef with Benton Harbor?? I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn there during MXdN and it was fine.. Flew in and out of Grand Rapids; direct flight from Charlotte

|

1/15/2019 4:33 PM

Redbud is usually during 4th of July weekend that's part of why it's such a big party. If was me I'd be there for the whole long weekend. Book now because I'm sure people started planning for it last year all ready.

|

1/15/2019 6:34 PM

deluxeman wrote:

It's a blast.

Moto Obsessed wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what's the beef with Benton Harbor?? I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn there during MXdN and it was fine.. Flew in and out of Grand Rapids; direct flight from Charlotte

The city violent crime rate for Benton Harbor in 2016 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 352.47% and the city property crime rate in Benton Harbor was higher than the national property crime rate average by 79.38%.

Most of those living throughout MI, know to stay out of Benton Harbor.

|

1/15/2019 6:39 PM

deluxeman wrote:

It's a blast.

Moto Obsessed wrote:

Openwheel racer wrote:

The city violent crime rate for Benton Harbor in 2016 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 352.47% and the city property crime rate in Benton Harbor was higher than the national property crime rate average by 79.38%.

Interesting... the Hilton Garden Inn and adjacent Walmart Supercenter served us just fine. Literally saw zero percent of what you speak. Not challenging you, but where we stayed felt, looked and seemed 100% normal and safe

|

1/15/2019 6:50 PM

Moto Obsessed wrote:

Openwheel racer wrote:

Moto Obsessed wrote:

Interesting... the Hilton Garden Inn and adjacent Walmart Supercenter served us just fine. Literally saw zero percent of what you speak. Not challenging you, but where we stayed felt, looked and seemed 100% normal and safe

That's good to hear, hopefully it's getting better.

We lived on the east side of MI for 40 years, traveled to Red Bud many times, also through the area on the way to Chicago. It was brought up every trip to never stop there for gas, food or anything. If kids had to go, they had to hold it until we were clear.

|

1/15/2019 7:21 PM

Fly into Chicago Ohare, take an Uber to a Cruise America RV rental and drive to RedBud. That’s what we did for the Des Nations and it was awesome.

As far as Benton Harbor, we had lunch there and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Seemed like a nice town.

|

1/15/2019 9:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2019 10:28 PM

I was born in Benton Harbor and grew up near by, know exactly where the parking lot jump is- this is the jump the Pros destroyed many a rental car on. In 1980 when I was 10 my Dad said out of the blue, hey want to go to a motocross race? Redbud was the catalyst for starting my life long love affair with bikes.

Downtown Benton Harbor is gnar- murder and crime rates thru the roof, but the hotels out by I-94 are a few miles from downtown. Stay near the highway and your fine, but don't leave anything visible in your car. 1 mile away towards downtown I once picked up a large straight blade laying in the street at a main stop light near the infamous parking lot jump at Fair Plain Plaza, it was rusty and looked bloody, still have it in my camping box and we call it the murder knife.

It were me I would not stay in Benton Harbor, I would fly in and out South Bend Indiana and camp at the track. If camping isn't your thing, there's hotels in St.Joseph, or Niles, Michigan. South Bend, Indiana is larger then all towns mentioned and will have a better selection of hotels. Keep in mind South Bend does not do day light savings time they are on Central time, so they are an hour off of Michigan time/Eastern time. The FIP's get confused all the time.

You can also easily fly into Chicago, Illinois too, it's an easy drive over and prob an easier international destination. From Ohare airport to Redbud is about 2 hours, but add another hour for Chicago traffic.

You'll have a great time.

|

1/15/2019 10:03 PM

Teamoatmealpie wrote:

I was born in Benton Harbor and grew up near by, know exactly where the parking lot jump is- this is the jump the Pros destroyed many a rental car on. In 1980 when I was 10 my Dad said out of the blue, hey want to go to a motocross race? Redbud was the catalyst for starting my life long love affair with bikes.

Downtown Benton Harbor is gnar- murder and crime rates thru the roof, but the hotels out by I-94 are a few miles from downtown. Stay near the highway and your fine, but don't leave anything visible in your car. 1 mile away towards downtown I once picked up a large straight blade laying in the street at a main stop light near the infamous parking lot jump at Fair Plain Plaza, it was rusty and looked bloody, still have it in my camping box and we call it the murder knife.

It were me I would not stay in Benton Harbor, I would fly in and out South Bend Indiana and camp at the track. If camping isn't your thing, there's hotels in St.Joseph, or Niles, Michigan. South Bend, Indiana is larger then all towns mentioned and will have a better selection of hotels. Keep in mind South Bend does not do day light savings time they are on Central time, so they are an hour off of Michigan time/Eastern time. The FIP's get confused all the time.

You can also easily fly into Chicago, Illinois too, it's an easy drive over and prob an easier international destination. From Ohare airport to Redbud is about 2 hours, but add another hour for Chicago traffic.

You'll have a great time.

I live in south bend, and we are on eastern time. Laporte county just to the west begins central time. Just to clear that up.
Mishawaka the city next to south bend has a good number of hotels, and is cleaner than downtown south bend

|

1/15/2019 10:26 PM

My bad , never could remember where that line is- since its just a tiny slice of Indiana that doesn't follow the rest of the state on time zone.

|

1/16/2019 6:04 AM

I am also (originally) from the UK. You’ll find it much easier to get to and from than a UK event traffic wise. I go every year. I leave Chicago at 8am and I’m there in plenty of time to get in, get a look around and see the racing. I leave after the event and I’m home in two hours. It’s a breeze.

If the idea of camping isn’t your thing you don’t have to. As long as someone is prepared to drive you can do the same as I do and go there and back same day and then take the time so see some of Chicago, which is a city that will blow your mind if you haven’t seen big US cities before. It’s a great city.

Just my 2p worth

|