Red # Plate

WMXLover
3/11/2011 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:08pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, don't the current points leader supposed to have the "red number plate"? Why does RDungey still have it?
|
mt798
3/11/2011 4:12pm
Outdoors only
mxbum
3/11/2011 4:13pm
The current point leader carries the red plate in the outdoor series only.
For SX Ryan (as defending champion) gets to carry it all year.

bruce
WMXLover
3/11/2011 4:15pm
mxbum wrote:
The current point leader carries the red plate in the outdoor series only.
For SX Ryan (as defending champion) gets to carry it all year.

bruce
Ohhh okayy, thank you!
Davey762
3/11/2011 4:20pm
Kind of a weird to have two different systems.. shows how well the series talk to one another but mxsports seems more willing to listen to the fans.

Personally, I like the red plate for the previous seasons champ. I don't see why they HAVE to run the #1l. I liked how back in the day, RC wore the red plate for previous season champ and still used his #4. But at the same time I like seeing who is the current points leader... maybe the points leader could have red numbers on a white backrounds lol

The Shop

WMXLover
3/11/2011 4:22pm
Davey762 wrote:
Kind of a weird to have two different systems.. shows how well the series talk to one another but mxsports seems more willing to listen to...
Kind of a weird to have two different systems.. shows how well the series talk to one another but mxsports seems more willing to listen to the fans.

Personally, I like the red plate for the previous seasons champ. I don't see why they HAVE to run the #1l. I liked how back in the day, RC wore the red plate for previous season champ and still used his #4. But at the same time I like seeing who is the current points leader... maybe the points leader could have red numbers on a white backrounds lol
I agree about running # you choose! In europe races, they allow whichever you like to. Sponsors recommend you ride the #1 though ; ))

I wonder if it will change one day?????
peelout
3/11/2011 8:07pm
Red plate should be for the points leader at the time. Feld has their head up their ass
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/11/2011 8:32pm
Listen to those people.
WMXLover
3/11/2011 9:06pm
Thank you everyone to be so kind. Its best to leave people with negative alone.

For the record: I did not know about rules to red number plates. I even looked at the rulebook before coming to this site but could not find it. I AM SORRY if I offend anyone. THANK you to everyone who answered and helped answer this.
goonrider
3/12/2011 12:23am
I don't get the importance of knowing who the points leader is during the season.

Let's look at this from an entertainment / tv audience standpoint.

Since the whole permanent # thing there is no easy way to explain which guys are fast.
In the "olden" days you could explain that a lower number meant they did well the previous year.
These days you can't use that explanation and I'll table the permanant # debate for another time.

I think the red backgrounds should be reserved to past SX and National champions.
You can then easily explain on TV to watch out for the red plates because they are past champions.
Now you can explain and the casual TV audience can understand why #41 is way faster than #11.

Earning a red plate can also help teams and riders when courting potential sponsors.
Wouldn't your negotiations with Coca-Cola go better saying "We have the 2010 250 MX champion and he'll run the #41 with red championship plate. There are only 5 red plates in the entire field so..."

So in closing...I know some people love the Tour de France and the whole yellow jersey belongs to the leader but I don't really think most people in MX care who the points leader is. I think the racers deserve some sort of recognition and bragging rights for their respective championships and a permanent single digit number option is not enough. Chad chooses #22 and Canard chose #41 and I think they (Villopoto, Dungey, Tedesco, Stewart) deserve more than the dates in the record books when they won their championship.
MX455
3/12/2011 5:34am
I wish it was back to the old system, but from a marketing stand point it really makes sense to have the perminant numbers. I like that you have to run the number 1 plate if your the champ. Isn't that what everyone strives for anyway??? I think McGrath is the last person to win a championship with the number one plate and it's been what, 11 years??? It brings a certain pressure to carry that plate and only adds to the legacy of the rider that carrys it IMO. As far as the red plate, I like how it works in the nationals and think it should be the same in supercross.
OW38B
Fantasy
148th
3/12/2011 9:49am
Not a big fan of red plates for anything, Dungey has a big "number one" on his bike........that should be enough for anyone of average intelligence..........you would think.
3/12/2011 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2011 3:04pm
OW38B wrote:
Not a big fan of red plates for anything, Dungey has a big "number one" on his bike........that should be enough for anyone of average intelligence..........you...
Not a big fan of red plates for anything, Dungey has a big "number one" on his bike........that should be enough for anyone of average intelligence..........you would think.
Yes, I have never understood this concept. But like many things FELD has done I don't think I ever will. Both series started doing it after the GP's gave out red plates (it was their "yellow jersey" like they give in the Tour de France). It's not about people wanting to kjnow who the points leader is, if you're a fan you know. It's just fot the series to give the riders something to "earn." It's like FELD saw something and didn't care how it worked... just wanted it. Either make him wear a red plate and #5 or make him wear #1 and give the red plate to the points leader. You really don't need both to figure out that #1 is #1. The red dictates nothing in that regard.
kxking
Fantasy
1203rd
3/12/2011 3:31pm
^^Wow, I really like that idea... Dungy with the Number 1 plate and RV with a red number 2 background.
Easy to explain and to understand....

Post a reply to: Red # Plate

The Latest