Red Bud heat

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 7/6/2012 6:46am
I've been back home for the X Games, but watching the weather in the Chicago area. Makes me sort of flashback to last year, Red Bud, and Josh Lichtle.
|
Ing
7/2/2012 3:56pm
It's going to be one hot S.O.B. Almost always is.
7/2/2012 3:59pm
That will make Lake Michigan feel all the better. Damn that water is cold.

I will try not to have as big of a hangover this year.
ehr400
7/2/2012 4:20pm
It wont be as bad as last year. That was freak for sure. Hottest I have ever been while there for sure.
7/2/2012 4:27pm
This weekend i rode in 110 degree weather at durhamtown and thought i was going to pass out at the end of the day so i cant imagine riding 30+2 in that heat.

The Shop

MX Culture
7/2/2012 4:28pm
Supposed to be mid 90s all week around here. The humidity isn't as bad as last year though.
72kiteboarder
7/2/2012 4:40pm
Think they will shorten the Moto's? I think I remember DC mentioning something like that was an option if the heat looked like it would be too dangerous after last years tragedy.
Rooster
7/2/2012 5:02pm
Did he pass away after the first or second moto?

They may elect to shorten the second moto if the riders are showing the effects after the first moto. I can't see them shortening the race from the start of the day based on it being too hot.
Braaap14
7/2/2012 6:25pm
Our weather out here in the Midwest is something you only get used to living out here, hope the best for all the racers.

was 99* here today and just a simple 10 mile bike ride was brutal this afternoon
pilotdude
7/2/2012 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2012 7:31pm
Midwest in the middle of summer, that's just how it is. December in North Dakota would be bad too.
MotoX85
7/2/2012 7:43pm
Thats common for midwest, start prepping now.

I remember Troy OH in 1994, little rain storm for about 10 minutes then about an hour later they said heat index was 116 degrees. Constant 105 all day.

Jeff Emig wore black gear for both motos. And they didn;t cut a thing.
kardy
7/2/2012 8:05pm
It's not all that common for such high heat and humidity, Midwest tough guys. This has been a record breaking heat wave spiked with one of the gnarliest storms to ever cut through the region (a Super Derecho!). Let's give Mother Nature credit when she deserves it.
mark_swart
7/2/2012 8:17pm
I rode in NC this past weekend -- temp at 99 and heat index around 110 with humidity. It was brutal. I had ridden a month earlier and had managed to slug through a 30 minute moto. Slow by the end but I did it. Sunday I managed to get to about 10 minutes each moto, no chest protector and no neck brace, and I was still done. Lost 3 lbs over the day despite constantly drinking water.
I know we went through this debate last year after Josh Lichtle, as well as Jody saying that DC would be responsible for the 'pussification of motocross' if they shortened motos, but seriously were guys running 30+2 in 100 plus temps with 190+ heartrate and one hour of recovery time between motos 'back in the day'? This seems extreme, and at 39 I'm pretty sure I qualify as at least a halfway old fart.
This is a hardcore sport, but it isn't a freaking gladiator arena.
MotoX85
7/2/2012 10:25pm
kardy wrote:
It's not all that common for such high heat and humidity, Midwest tough guys. This has been a record breaking heat wave spiked with one of...
It's not all that common for such high heat and humidity, Midwest tough guys. This has been a record breaking heat wave spiked with one of the gnarliest storms to ever cut through the region (a Super Derecho!). Let's give Mother Nature credit when she deserves it.
Really. So we never here every year how hot and humid Lorettas is and how everyone needs to prepare for it. Yep this is the first year of 95+ degree heat for the midwest. Besides last year, which was pretty mild, it is always 90+ for the months of June, July and August with 90% + humidity.

Gnarliest storms? - It hasn;t rained in the STL area for about 3 weeks.
Bigshow
7/3/2012 2:58am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2012 3:00am
kardy wrote:
It's not all that common for such high heat and humidity, Midwest tough guys. This has been a record breaking heat wave spiked with one of...
Storm rolled through Friday evening here in SE Ohio. Lasted 35min, leveled barns, buildings, and a few houses. Tore houses apart. Local electric company had 41000 customers without power, some still without. Trees everywhere, roads blocked. I am 39 years old and it is the worst storm I can remember passing through here. 1/4 to 1/2 of rain, made my track just wet enough to ride. By sat afternoon it was a dust bowl again. Another storm rolled through Sunday evening but we where lucky it went north of us, unlucky for those north of us though.

I was there for that heat at Troy of 94. Keep having to leave to get more fluids. I wrenched for a friend racing B class.
jndmx
7/3/2012 3:57am
I'm in Connecticut and we are looking at our 3rd straight week of heatwave temps and high humidity.....it ain't just a midwest thing.
MCfan4life
7/3/2012 4:10am
MotoX85 wrote:
Thats common for midwest, start prepping now. I remember Troy OH in 1994, little rain storm for about 10 minutes then about an hour later they...

I remember Troy OH in 1994, little rain storm for about 10 minutes then about an hour later they said heat index was 116 degrees. Constant 105 all day.

I believe you could be thinking of the black/camo gear that Fro wore in 1997.....

Cool
Highsider
7/3/2012 5:20am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2012 5:21am
Beats the hell out of ice and snow!
"I would rather sweat than slip on the ice!"
ADynes
7/3/2012 6:12am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2012 6:13am
I'm thinking about going up for all 4 days. Open practice Thurs., day race Fri., Pro race Sat., Day race Sun. I don't have any kind of camper; just me, a tent, my truck, bike, and all I can carry with me. Should I go for it, or will I regret it (due to the heat)? How many people are usually there for the open practice and amateur racing?
MiSledder
7/3/2012 6:25am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2012 6:28am
last year was the worst time I ever had at a track, Everywhere you went or stood it was in 3 inches of mud, The stentch was terrible, In the 85 class on the night track every flagger was waiving his flag at one point cause the track was so bad, Kids down on every corner, Lots of kids hurt too

I won't go to Red Bud and race unless I can get there on Wednesday, Otherwise you will be camping with all the 18 year olds
yzvet426
7/3/2012 6:42am
I rode Saturday north of Chicago. My kids came with to watch and they about passed out. just hanging on the side of the track. The temp was close to 100 but the humidity was crazy. It was the hottest I've ridden in. They need to be careful.
kardy
7/3/2012 6:55am
ADynes wrote:
I'm thinking about going up for all 4 days. Open practice Thurs., day race Fri., Pro race Sat., Day race Sun. I don't have any kind...
I'm thinking about going up for all 4 days. Open practice Thurs., day race Fri., Pro race Sat., Day race Sun. I don't have any kind of camper; just me, a tent, my truck, bike, and all I can carry with me. Should I go for it, or will I regret it (due to the heat)? How many people are usually there for the open practice and amateur racing?
I think it's do-able if you're ready to be miserable. A little battery powered fan would be worth it's weight in platinum in that situation, though. That or a generator and a real fan.
kardy
7/3/2012 8:14am
kardy wrote:
MotoX85 wrote:
Really. So we never here every year how hot and humid Lorettas is and how everyone needs to prepare for it. Yep this is the first...
Really. So we never here every year how hot and humid Lorettas is and how everyone needs to prepare for it. Yep this is the first year of 95+ degree heat for the midwest. Besides last year, which was pretty mild, it is always 90+ for the months of June, July and August with 90% + humidity.

Record heat wave. That means record high temps. As in the highest ever.

One of the gnarliest storms ever. That means ONE of the gnarliest storms ever. When's the last time you heard of a super derecho rolling through? Right.

Watch the national news much? You may wanna give it a try, paying special attention to the parts about the record heat wave in the Midwest and east coast and the gnarly storm that blew this past weekend leaving millions without electricity while they are suffering through record heat waves. There's that term again: Record Heat Wave.
j100
7/3/2012 8:33am
it's supposed to feel like 105 on Saturday, yikes. might be time for a 20 + 2 if the heat index is over 100?? just a thought.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
7/3/2012 8:42am
kardy wrote:
MotoX85 wrote:
Really. So we never here every year how hot and humid Lorettas is and how everyone needs to prepare for it. Yep this is the first...

kardy wrote:
Record heat wave. That means record high temps. As in the highest ever. One of the gnarliest storms ever. That means ONE of the gnarliest storms...

One of the gnarliest storms ever. That means ONE of the gnarliest storms ever. When's the last time you heard of a super derecho rolling through? Right.

Watch the national news much? You may wanna give it a try, paying special attention to the parts about the record heat wave in the Midwest and east coast and the gnarly storm that blew this past weekend leaving millions without electricity while they are suffering through record heat waves. There's that term again: Record Heat Wave.
Plus unfortunately 22 died in that wave of storms.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
7/3/2012 8:47am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2012 8:48am
kardy wrote:
Record heat wave. That means record high temps. As in the highest ever. One of the gnarliest storms ever. That means ONE of the gnarliest storms...

Umm "Record" means since they have been able and predisposed to write down thermometer readings. About 100 years.

"Ever" means something like 50 million times that.

Never mind that the media really seems to like to report things as if now is the first time ever something anything as radical as what you're seeing now on our channel has occurred. "WE RAWK!" (Spike the football)
Team Ideal
7/3/2012 8:56am
ADynes wrote:
I'm thinking about going up for all 4 days. Open practice Thurs., day race Fri., Pro race Sat., Day race Sun. I don't have any kind...
there is absolutely no shade in the parking/camping area, if you do it be sure to bring a canopy. like mentioned a fan would be very wise. Thursday doesn't normally have a huge crowd but Friday is rather large and Sunday is normally close to an amateur national on amount of entries. the night races have fewer entries but then again it's not on the big track.
jtomasik
7/3/2012 9:00am
MotoX85 wrote:
Thats common for midwest, start prepping now. I remember Troy OH in 1994, little rain storm for about 10 minutes then about an hour later they...

Yeah, but they weren't riding 4-stroke street bikes, either. Whistling

I'll be on the lake both days wakeboarding. Lemme know how that heat thing is working out.
kardy
7/3/2012 9:30am
Umm "Record" means since they have been able and predisposed to write down thermometer readings. About 100 years. "Ever" means something like 50 million times that...
Umm "Record" means since they have been able and predisposed to write down thermometer readings. About 100 years.

"Ever" means something like 50 million times that.

Never mind that the media really seems to like to report things as if now is the first time ever something anything as radical as what you're seeing now on our channel has occurred. "WE RAWK!" (Spike the football)
"Ever" in this case means ever recorded. Sorry I didn't spell that out for you in more basic and direct terms. I'll dumb it down for you even further next time.
7/3/2012 9:30am
I'm planning on going up friday night and being there all day Saturday. I really don't want to get sweaty though. Think I'll break a sweat if I go to watch?

Post a reply to: Red Bud heat

The Latest