Recovery sucks, can’t wait to ride again.

Motohead279
Edited Date/Time 2/12/2020 10:30am
Back on 12/10 had a bad get off at the track. Was a private track day with just a few of us riding, pretty much last practice of the day. I was out there with my fiancé playing around with our helmet cameras . Hardest part about the crash was at the time I wasn’t even riding hard, I was cruising around in 1st gear waiting for her to catch up, and came up to one of the smaller doubles on the track. Instead of rolling it I decided just to seat bounce it like I’ve done thousands of times and last second decided to get on the throttle and shift to 2nd.

Problem is I hit neutral. Because I was sitting down the front end dropped like an anchor and in mid air the bike was already completely vertical. Since the front end dropped so quickly I couldn’t get my feet away and they got caught in the bars and locked me into the bike as it continued to go over.

The bike was completely upside down when I separated from it, hitting the ground on my left shoulder. Unfortunately the track was like concrete and the bike came down on my leg to add insult to injury.

Ended up breaking off my humerus at my shoulder and impacting it up crooked into the ball of my shoulder by 1/2”. I shattered my shoulder into like 8 pieces, broke my fibula and the navicular on the top of my foot. Everything was on my left side so I couldn’t even use a crutch to walk, needed a knee crutch.

Unfortunately recovery has been miserable as I own my own business and was back working 12-15 hour days out in the field 3 days after the crash as I had so many contracts and so much work scheduled, walking in a knee crutch and with my arm in a sling and unable to sleep for more than 2-3 hours a night.

Monday I started walking again for the 1st time in 2 months and have started rehab in my ankle and shoulder. Feels great but I can’t wait to be back 100% healthy again.

I was wearing a Virb 360 camera and it’s amazing that you can pretty much watch yourself crash in 3rd person view. Glad I was wearing good quality gear, Tech 10s took quite an impact and I actually broke my carbon fiber knee brace which helped minimize the impact from the bike. I also cracked my chest protector. Although this injury has sucked ass I’m glad it wasn’t worse. It has really made me stop and think to be grateful for the simple things in life like the ability to walk or even shower by yourself.

Ride safe guys.
|

The Shop

ElliotB16
2/7/2020 9:29am
Damn I thought you got a peg leg in that last picture
hubbardmx50
2/7/2020 9:34am
Jesus, heal up man. That looks like a bigger jump than a second gear seat bounce! Crazy how high the bike bounced up.
Motohead279
2/7/2020 9:37am
Jesus, heal up man. That looks like a bigger jump than a second gear seat bounce! Crazy how high the bike bounced up.
Unfortunately it was my leg that it bounced off of and not the ground 🤦🏻‍♂️
wsmille2
2/7/2020 9:41am
I hate the stupid crashes like that. Heal up!
hubbardmx50
2/7/2020 3:18pm
Unfortunately it was my leg that it bounced off of and not the ground 🤦🏻‍♂️
Holy crap! That’s gnarly. Like I already said heal up!
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
2/8/2020 3:26am
I walk free is a life saver!
just James
2/8/2020 3:44am
BUT HOW IS THE BIKE? Was it damaged? Get your priorities straight man!
J/K, been there, and done that. Heal up quick.
Cool series of photos. 👍
Motohead279
2/8/2020 6:42am
just James wrote:
BUT HOW IS THE BIKE? Was it damaged? Get your priorities straight man! J/K, been there, and done that. Heal up quick. Cool series of photos...
BUT HOW IS THE BIKE? Was it damaged? Get your priorities straight man!
J/K, been there, and done that. Heal up quick.
Cool series of photos. 👍
Lol as I was laying there waiting for the ambulance I actually asked how the bike was.

Right radiator is bent and subframe is bent.
Motohead279
2/8/2020 6:44am
You know what, we were talking about that after the crash. It will always be “another ride” from now on 👍
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
2/8/2020 10:37am
Never go one more lap either.
2/8/2020 12:27pm
Hang in there bro. I’m more than a year without riding. Car accident..broken back, neck, back fusion and a multitude of other things. Been on the bike around the yard once. Hopefully we can get back out there soon.
Gotland Edon
2/8/2020 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2020 2:02pm
I crashed hard last Sunday. It also happened during my "last ride of the day".
Seat bounced a small double right through a kicker that I knew was there, but was flowing so good around the track that I forgot about it. Got ejected from the bike and landed hard on my shoulder.
Now I have a torn rotator cuff and might need surgery.

Ride safe and just say no to riding the extra laps.
Motohead279
2/10/2020 9:36am
Hang in there bro. I’m more than a year without riding. Car accident..broken back, neck, back fusion and a multitude of other things. Been on the...
Hang in there bro. I’m more than a year without riding. Car accident..broken back, neck, back fusion and a multitude of other things. Been on the bike around the yard once. Hopefully we can get back out there soon.
Dude that sucks hope you start feeling better and you can ride soon
Motohead279
2/10/2020 9:37am
I crashed hard last Sunday. It also happened during my "last ride of the day". Seat bounced a small double right through a kicker that I...
I crashed hard last Sunday. It also happened during my "last ride of the day".
Seat bounced a small double right through a kicker that I knew was there, but was flowing so good around the track that I forgot about it. Got ejected from the bike and landed hard on my shoulder.
Now I have a torn rotator cuff and might need surgery.

Ride safe and just say no to riding the extra laps.
That sucks. Rotator cuff is not a fun injury I am very thankful that I didn’t care mine who when I landed. My shoulder is popping pretty bad in certain movements but I am told that is normal at this stage in the game. Get well soon
The_Major
2/10/2020 12:22pm
Get well soon! Glad to hear you're walking. Broke my C-4 back in Sept, technically still laid up! It's one helluva battle to get back, but you can do it. Whenever you lose hope, just look back at how far you've come!
Motohead279
2/12/2020 6:59am
The_Major wrote:
Get well soon! Glad to hear you're walking. Broke my C-4 back in Sept, technically still laid up! It's one helluva battle to get back, but...
Get well soon! Glad to hear you're walking. Broke my C-4 back in Sept, technically still laid up! It's one helluva battle to get back, but you can do it. Whenever you lose hope, just look back at how far you've come!
Thanks. I hope your recovery is going good.👍
kNewc
2/12/2020 7:07am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2020 7:08am
I've been out for a year with knee issues, it's terrible. Quadricep tendonosis, chondromalacia, and IT Band Syndrome. Fun stuff....nothing's broke but it sure feels like it.
Flesh206
2/12/2020 10:20am
I had the same break in my fib. Took some gnc sport vitamins, did my PT. Was back in no time. Heal up!
The_Major
2/12/2020 10:30am
The_Major wrote:
Get well soon! Glad to hear you're walking. Broke my C-4 back in Sept, technically still laid up! It's one helluva battle to get back, but...
Thanks. I hope your recovery is going good.👍
It's going at better than the doctors and therapists expected. Technically shouldn't be walking or even able to breathe in my own. Thank God that didn't happen, personally would rather be dead.

But yeah man glad you're up and walking. It's one helluva battle, but you got it! Keep at it and you'll be back riding your dirt scooter sooner than you think.

Post a reply to: Recovery sucks, can’t wait to ride again.

The Latest