Recommended knee braces for injured knee?

Kawisrok
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2016 11:02am
Ok guys so I ride with a weak left knee due to a meniscus/mcl injury just over a year ago. I have the evs axis pro and these things suck. the strap buckles break on them. What are your guys' recommendations for braces? I have my eyes on the Pod K8's right now. Thanks guys.
|
mxrudi
1/11/2016 8:26am
Nothing can save you but GYM and CYCLING.
Kawisrok
1/11/2016 8:42am
Ok so I am not asking to be saved, I am asking for opinions from actual brace users, not brace haters or pros and cons.
c0ncEpT
1/11/2016 9:13am
Mobius X8. Quality is second to non IMO.
1/11/2016 9:32am
Cti custom fit on both of my destroyed old knees. Its all I'll wear.

The Shop

Kawisrok
1/11/2016 9:42am
rodspindel wrote:
I was checking those out. I like how they sound like they fit second to none.
Kawisrok
1/11/2016 9:43am
c0ncEpT wrote:
Mobius X8. Quality is second to non IMO.
Also tops on my list so far. they have excellent reviews
ginger969
1/11/2016 10:07am
I use the POD mx stuff from Fox and they're great for confidence and helping provide support while being super comfortable! Smile
Beast666
1/11/2016 10:23am
Custom fitted braces are the way to go. Talk to you orthopedic surgeon about getting fitted for custom braces.One thing to think about CTi and DonJoy custom braces carry a warranty for life on the frame and will pay for part of surgery if you damage a ligament wearing there custom braces.

I am about to go under the knife for a torn meniscus and will be fitted for custom braces after rehab.
KTMShane699
1/11/2016 10:24am
rodspindel wrote:
This. They saved my knee when I broke my leg last year. I destroyed my leg and the tibial plateaus (it was a freak injury), but the ligaments and tendons were all completely in tact which was a saving grace in the whole thing.

I already have a script for new ones. Just waiting to put some muscle back on before I get fit for them.

Worth every penny.

Shane
1/11/2016 12:01pm
Kyle's done everything under the sun to his left knee. He was pretty happy with the Mobius I think over the last year. I suffered a grade 2 ACL stretch with the CTIs.
1/11/2016 1:02pm
rodspindel wrote:
Kawisrok wrote:
I was checking those out. I like how they sound like they fit second to none.
I've tried cti off the shelf models and nothing feels as secure and protective as the full custom fit ones. And they hold up very well also.
1/11/2016 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2016 6:13pm
Yep if you got the money custom fit Cti are the go, I had one back in the mid 80's, eventually wore it out. When I came back to riding I bought POD K300 & K700's (because I was being a tight-arse), the 700's are better than the cheaper 300.

I think the Asterisk look like they would be comfortable, I'll try them on before I buy my next pair.

I've had 26 knee operations; have artificial knees now; I won't even start bike without braces on now :-)
1/11/2016 2:41pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2016 2:41pm
The Asterisk Ultra cell are really nice and I feel very protected while wearing them. I got the after an ACL reconstruction three years ago. My only complaints: They are very bulky, had to go up a size in all my pants to have enough room in the knee area, wich they also tned to destroy very quick.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
1/11/2016 2:48pm
CTI Custom. They offer a refurbishe program to get them cleaned up, repainted and tightened if needed.

1stSSPZ
1/11/2016 4:18pm
rodspindel wrote:
Same here...lots of long time injuries..
BAMX
1/11/2016 4:37pm
Kawisrok wrote:
Ok guys so I ride with a weak left knee due to a meniscus/mcl injury just over a year ago. I have the evs axis pro...
Ok guys so I ride with a weak left knee due to a meniscus/mcl injury just over a year ago. I have the evs axis pro and these things suck. the strap buckles break on them. What are your guys' recommendations for braces? I have my eyes on the Pod K8's right now. Thanks guys.
Parts are cheap for the EVS and if you buy the punch tool, they are easy to fix.
j368
1/11/2016 6:30pm
CTi custom braces takes about an hour to get measured and pictures taken. DonJoy about 10 mins, and no pictures. Kinda says it all. Get the motocross kit with the CTi braces, comes with everything you need. My insurance company paid for them in full.

Kawisrok
1/23/2016 10:18am
Ok, well after dealing with my insurance and trying to get coverage for CTI braces in which that failed, I ended up with Asterisk's Ultra Cell Straps. I tried on just about every pair of braces I could get my paws on. Funny enough, the Asterisk were the LEAST comfy right off the bat, but what sold me on them was how secure my knee felt in them. The Mobious X8 were just a tad to small for my thighs and pinched real bad in the sitting position. The Pods just straight up didn't fit me good at all. The Alpinestars were ones I was really hoping they worked but they just felt cheaply made to me. I also really liked Asterisk' $200 complete rebuild offers. Thanks for all the info guys, it was put to good use.
Kawisrok
1/23/2016 10:19am
Oh, the good news I guess though is "after" a knee surgery my insurance will pay for the CTI's lol... go figure!
munsch121
1/23/2016 10:31am
Kawisrok wrote:
Ok guys so I ride with a weak left knee due to a meniscus/mcl injury just over a year ago. I have the evs axis pro...
I have had 3 knee surgeries. 2 ACL tears, MCL tear, both medial meniscus, left one twice. I have used many different knee braces from CTI2, Donjoy and asterisk. To this day the best brace I have worn thats the perfect compromise of support and comfort is the shock doctor 875....yes really. I've worn knee braces for 24 years and they are by far my favorite. I was shocked how much support the offered.

Kawisrok
1/23/2016 10:42am
It's funny you mention that, that is the brace I wear on a daily basis and have considered wearing it while riding simply because it does feel like it supports my knee better than anything else so far.
wacker
1/23/2016 10:53am
I am really happy with my Asterisks. I have the ultra cells and I went from never wearing a brace ever and having two knees that represent bags of jelly more than joints. They seem to hold my knees quite stable and I haven't had any issues with comfort or getting used to them. I like how they actually tighten up and fit to your leg size. I tried on some other off the shelf stuff and they were huge or too small and didn't actually fit to my legs.
Kawisrok
1/23/2016 11:02am
wacker wrote:
I am really happy with my Asterisks. I have the ultra cells and I went from never wearing a brace ever and having two knees that...
I am really happy with my Asterisks. I have the ultra cells and I went from never wearing a brace ever and having two knees that represent bags of jelly more than joints. They seem to hold my knees quite stable and I haven't had any issues with comfort or getting used to them. I like how they actually tighten up and fit to your leg size. I tried on some other off the shelf stuff and they were huge or too small and didn't actually fit to my legs.
I hear that. It took me about an hour, maybe a little more of adjusting the top and bottom of the braces to get a great fit. What they don't mention in the manual or the fitment video is, that you should do this on the bike. It's a world of difference versus how you adjust them while sitting in a chair imo.

Post a reply to: Recommended knee braces for injured knee?

The Latest