Recent bikes that will be sought after in 20 years.

JRT812
6/25/2018 4:58pm
ktm 200's
The SX 200 was one of the cooles bikes ever made
They were such a fun bike. Perfect setup in my opinion. There was a guy on here a while back that took a rm frame and put the sx 200 in it. Couldn’t help but wonder how sweet of a bike that had to of been
JAFO92
6/25/2018 5:02pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2018 5:02pm
jathey wrote:
I hope they gave it to Keith Johnson, since he was the only one that could go fast on it. After all, he did provide them...
I hope they gave it to Keith Johnson, since he was the only one that could go fast on it.

After all, he did provide them with their first 'National' win - even if it was in Don Schneider's old "Four Stroke Nationals" series.
Only one? Robbie Reynard hauled serious azz on the Cannondale. He stomped the 4-stroke Nat guys on that bike.
motogrady
6/25/2018 5:06pm
Prob already kinda rare, the 96 CR 250, last year steel frame.

mwssquad827
6/25/2018 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2018 5:12pm
07 RM 250/95 cr 250 all the normal shit... in 20 years who is gonna want a 15 kawi 450?? Nobody..

The Shop

6/25/2018 6:24pm
Came across this holy grail of garage finds a week ago. 2006 Rm 250 that has never been started since it left the dealer and has been living under a sheet its whole life, its also for sale for the right price if anyone is looking. Only thing that would of made it newer is if i was to push it off the show room floor.

Drtbykr
6/25/2018 6:32pm
Factory Edition KTM in perfect condition after Dungey won the SX title, and Alta.

Maybe 08 CRF’s
Holigan
6/25/2018 7:36pm
l can't really think of any current bikes that would be collectable. Maybe the first Alta? Any bike out there that is bad? Remember the Canam...
l can't really think of any current bikes that would be collectable. Maybe the first Alta? Any bike out there that is bad? Remember the Canam Black Widow, never wanted one then, kill for one now :-)

scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
6/25/2018 7:51pm
98 YZ400F and the 01 YZ250F, i have not seen any clean ones of those, and no one really doing them up yet, 02 CRF450F maybe as well,

the last of the 500 CR's adn KX's are pretty high price now days, and the last of the CR250's are getting up there to already,

akmx17
6/25/2018 8:13pm
2010 Yamaha 450 the first year of reversed motor would be cool to have
JWACK
6/25/2018 8:21pm
Someday 500s will only be a legend. Peps will search high and low for the last years of them.
KDXGarage
6/26/2018 3:21am
Here is my prediction:

There will not be a ton of the four-stroke bikes around in years to come that are going to be highly sought out like 500's and a nice condition 250 2-stroke are now. Look in the bike build section. Almost every single one is a two-stroke. I think the reason is that most of us do not have the experience to do major repairs on a near basket case 4-stroke, we don't have the necessary tools to do the mechanical work they require, parts availability on older models and cost of all it will take to get one going again.

If you think the 2-stroke version of "craigslist - fresh top end" is bad now, wait until you start buying a 4-stroke that is 15 years old. Go look on an online dealer for new OEM parts for a 2004 250 4-stroke. All those NLA (No Longer Available) parts are going to be more and more.

And remember, just because it is old, doesn't mean it is collectible.
ns503
6/26/2018 4:33am
l can't really think of any current bikes that would be collectable. Maybe the first Alta? Any bike out there that is bad? Remember the Canam...
l can't really think of any current bikes that would be collectable. Maybe the first Alta? Any bike out there that is bad? Remember the Canam Black Widow, never wanted one then, kill for one now :-)
Holigan wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/25/270380/s1200_20180507_163250.jpg[/img]

'Scuse me while I wipe some drool....
billyp330
6/26/2018 4:50am
motogrady wrote:
Prob already kinda rare, the 96 CR 250, last year steel frame. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/25/270292/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

These are not very rare. I have buddy with one that is currently in pieces (he is rebuilding it) and just saw one on Facebook for sale complete for $1500. Wasn't in mint condition, but was all together, and ran fine it said. They are cool bikes since MC raced one back in the day, but unless you have his exact bike i just dont get the hype around them.. They are a bike anyone could of bought and I'm sure they sold a good amount of them back when they hit the dealer floors.
make1go
6/26/2018 5:08am
no one here really knows as the guys that will make up the majority who will want them are 20 somethimg and racing a new or recently new bikes now..

and even then i dont a big resurgence with recent bikes the vintage mx scene was borne out of the wave of 70s riders hitting their 40s/50s with families and looking to relive a golden era.

and initially it was a cheap form of racing and you could easily pick up 3 or more of the same bike, build one good one and go racing..
billyp330
6/26/2018 5:11am
KDXGarage wrote:
Here is my prediction: There will not be a ton of the four-stroke bikes around in years to come that are going to be highly sought...
Here is my prediction:

There will not be a ton of the four-stroke bikes around in years to come that are going to be highly sought out like 500's and a nice condition 250 2-stroke are now. Look in the bike build section. Almost every single one is a two-stroke. I think the reason is that most of us do not have the experience to do major repairs on a near basket case 4-stroke, we don't have the necessary tools to do the mechanical work they require, parts availability on older models and cost of all it will take to get one going again.

If you think the 2-stroke version of "craigslist - fresh top end" is bad now, wait until you start buying a 4-stroke that is 15 years old. Go look on an online dealer for new OEM parts for a 2004 250 4-stroke. All those NLA (No Longer Available) parts are going to be more and more.

Its funny how the same die hard 2 stroke guys that will argue to death how superior their bikes are, are the same people not mechanically inclined enough to even think about rebuilding a 4 stroke engine. I really think the 2 stroke craze is mostly due to the ease of repair.

It doesnt really take anymore tools to rebuild a 4 stroke btw. Pretty much a basic set of metric wrenches and sockets will get all the way torn down. Only thing i can think of that is a must for 4 stroke owners that isnt for 2 stroke owners is feeler gauges. Cutting valve seats is just like getting a cylinder re sleeved, gotta take it to a capable shop. Yes, it does cost a bit more since there are more parts, but the wear rate of those parts is less typically on the 4 strokes.

And who in the hell buys all OEM parts? Other then engine cases, everything else can be bought after market for less money and are just as good or better then OEM.
RCMXracing
6/26/2018 9:40am
motogrady wrote:
Prob already kinda rare, the 96 CR 250, last year steel frame. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/25/270292/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

billyp330 wrote:
These are not very rare. I have buddy with one that is currently in pieces (he is rebuilding it) and just saw one on Facebook for...
These are not very rare. I have buddy with one that is currently in pieces (he is rebuilding it) and just saw one on Facebook for sale complete for $1500. Wasn't in mint condition, but was all together, and ran fine it said. They are cool bikes since MC raced one back in the day, but unless you have his exact bike i just dont get the hype around them.. They are a bike anyone could of bought and I'm sure they sold a good amount of them back when they hit the dealer floors.
The hype is the 93-96’s were so good! Finding a clean survivor isn’t easy, so a full resto has a lot of money in it. Don’t have to be rare to be desirable. Let’s face it, Only a handful of dirt bikes are going to be rare - one off, low production, top pro racers, etc.
The aluminum frame was (and still is) a cheaper way to manufacture and a marketing ploy. People are realizing that the latest and greatest isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and are buying up the steel frame CR’s and others.
6/26/2018 2:15pm
jathey wrote:
I hope they gave it to Keith Johnson, since he was the only one that could go fast on it. After all, he did provide them...
I hope they gave it to Keith Johnson, since he was the only one that could go fast on it.

After all, he did provide them with their first 'National' win - even if it was in Don Schneider's old "Four Stroke Nationals" series.
JAFO92 wrote:
Only one? Robbie Reynard hauled serious azz on the Cannondale. He stomped the 4-stroke Nat guys on that bike.
I was there that day, Bobby.

Robbie was hauling ass on that overweight turd in both motos until it remembered it was a Cannondale and puked it's guts out.Sick

Hated it happened to him, but it saved me my sanity because I was drooling over them at Yamaha of San Antonio at the time. Promptly came to my senses and went to the Honda shop after that.Grinning
HusqFan3
6/26/2018 3:11pm
drt410 wrote:
2017 Fc250.... the newest model before they went ghey. Some may call it the perfect bike,
Unless you believe a few small tweaks to the suspension and an upgraded battery quality as “ghey” then i believe you mean the 2018’ FC250 was the last bike in the generation, not the 2017’. i.e. 2 model years before the complete redesigned 19’.
KDXGarage
6/26/2018 7:18pm
KDXGarage wrote:
Here is my prediction: There will not be a ton of the four-stroke bikes around in years to come that are going to be highly sought...
Here is my prediction:

billyp330 wrote:
Its funny how the same die hard 2 stroke guys that will argue to death how superior their bikes are, are the same people not mechanically...
Its funny how the same die hard 2 stroke guys that will argue to death how superior their bikes are, are the same people not mechanically inclined enough to even think about rebuilding a 4 stroke engine. I really think the 2 stroke craze is mostly due to the ease of repair.

It doesnt really take anymore tools to rebuild a 4 stroke btw. Pretty much a basic set of metric wrenches and sockets will get all the way torn down. Only thing i can think of that is a must for 4 stroke owners that isnt for 2 stroke owners is feeler gauges. Cutting valve seats is just like getting a cylinder re sleeved, gotta take it to a capable shop. Yes, it does cost a bit more since there are more parts, but the wear rate of those parts is less typically on the 4 strokes.

And who in the hell buys all OEM parts? Other then engine cases, everything else can be bought after market for less money and are just as good or better then OEM.
Go look in the Bike Build section and count the number of four-stroke builds on bikes that are at least 5 years old.

About four or 5 pages down you will see a 2006 and a 2012.

You stated, "it does cost a bit more". I say a MASSIVE amount more. Go fill up an online OEM dealer shopping cart and see that there is a MASSIVE difference.

Post a thread about, "are these cams still good on this bike in a basket I bought", (head, four or five valves, cam chain, etc." Have people post, ... CRICKETS or go to the dealer or a Mitutoyo demo day and bring a can of Tucks or Preparation H.

There are just a few more threads on restoring blown up four strokes as there are on blown up toasters. Just go get another one.

"I" buy mostly OEM. Where are you buying aftermarket transmission gears? Same place you buy Wiseco buttershafts? I mean crankshafts.
BobPA
6/26/2018 7:25pm
kb228 wrote:
Only bike i can think of is a 06 kx250 2 stroke. Would love to snag one and restore it to showroom condition
bvm111 wrote:
I may be willing to sell mine... found new in the crate 4 years ago with appx 25 Hours on it total! Fresh Top End, RT...
I may be willing to sell mine... found new in the crate 4 years ago with appx 25 Hours on it total! Fresh Top End, RT Suspension, Tom Morgan Motor, Fresh Renthal Sprockets and DID ERT Chain.

Make me an offer I cant refuse
I’ve also got one...
6/26/2018 8:12pm
kb228 wrote:
Only bike i can think of is a 06 kx250 2 stroke. Would love to snag one and restore it to showroom condition
bvm111 wrote:
I may be willing to sell mine... found new in the crate 4 years ago with appx 25 Hours on it total! Fresh Top End, RT...
I may be willing to sell mine... found new in the crate 4 years ago with appx 25 Hours on it total! Fresh Top End, RT Suspension, Tom Morgan Motor, Fresh Renthal Sprockets and DID ERT Chain.

Make me an offer I cant refuse
BobPA wrote:
I’ve also got one...
I'm restoring a nice 2007 KX250 two stroke. It'll have a little different look than stock but won't be blacked out either.
motogrady
6/26/2018 9:00pm
motogrady wrote:

billyp330 wrote:
These are not very rare. I have buddy with one that is currently in pieces (he is rebuilding it) and just saw one on Facebook for...

Good points.

But, like 57 Chevys, they will get scarce.

And there is one thing I've noticed about the collectibles.
They have some kind of story.
First year of a series.
Fastest.
Elvis had one.
Steve MCQueen loved his.
Or some famous guy got killed on one.
Something like this one......

That's Lawrence of Arabia. He loved bikes. Fast bikes.That is a Brough (bruff) Superior. In his day, that bike
was like the Rolls Royce Hyabusa CR500 all rolled in one.
And he was killed on it.

And that is to this day one of the most sought after collectibles.

So, thinking about it, what bike that is still available, fits that bill?

The 96 CR.

Last year steel frame, McGrath rode one in his prime, and that's the bike Doug Henry had the Budds big endo on.

And, it's gotta be one of the best looking bikes ever builtShocked

Post a reply to: Recent bikes that will be sought after in 20 years.

The Latest