Rebuild or buy a new one?

Hammer 663s
Current bike is a 2013 CRF450r, 80 hours on the meter now. I bought it in 2015 with 20 hours on it. It's Vet ridden the whole time so it's not thrashed at all. I'm very comfortable with it, and at my age/ability it's plenty of bike for me. I've got the suspension setup pretty well (MSW) and it is very well maintained, with no issues.

I'll have 100 hours at least by the end of the year. Do I spend $3-4k to have the motor overhauled (w/a new Rekluse clutch), new wheels, new plastics/graphics, and make sure all the little stuff is solid so it's all tip-top for the next years or do I bite the bullet for a freshie? An Alta, new CRF450, or a Husky 350 are all possibilities.

Hammer 663s
|
rmoto003
6/9/2018 2:53pm
Only 100 hours from a vet rider and you think it needs 4k worth of work??

wew lad
Justin345
6/9/2018 2:54pm
IMO, get a freshie. You can scoop up a new model year used bike with minimal hours for much less than new. That’s the route I’d go vice putting a few $k into freshening up a 2013.
6/9/2018 3:03pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2018 3:05pm
'16 CRF engine

I run across stuff like this all the time in my never ending search for vintage Honda stuff. DO NOT be afraid to lowball someone...who cares if you insult them. there mostly dismantlers anyway. money talks and bullshit walks. I'd offer that guy $1000 for that motor and go from there...

assuming a "16 will work for you, but if not just keep scouring. I see new NOS cylinder heads and valve sets for CRF450's all the time.
Hammer 663s
6/9/2018 3:04pm
rmoto003 wrote:
Only 100 hours from a vet rider and you think it needs 4k worth of work??

wew lad
Clutch alone is a Grand, and wheelset with all new stuff another grand. So yeah, $3-4k is about right all in.

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/9/2018 3:05pm
Personally I'd get a lightly used one or a brand new one. The 2018's will/are being let go for cheap. For what you're already planning in putting into yours I'd save it, sell your CRF for what you can get and you'd be in a brand new model for little to not much more money than your rebuild.
6/9/2018 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2018 3:13pm
If you like the bike, just ride it. I had 150 on mine when I sold it, and it is still running strong for the new owner. If it makes you feel better, tear it down at 100 hours and throw a new piston in. Unless you aren’t doing proper maintenance, a vet rider on a modern 4 stroke can get 200 hours out of an engine. Have you even had to adjust the valves yet? I’m guessing the answer is no. Save your money for a vacation and enjoy several more years of racing the bike you have.
Destry Abbott, who is a helluvalot faster than me (and doesn’t pay for parts) told me he never even does a piston until 80 hours because even if it’s free, it’s a waste of time.
BR8ES
6/9/2018 3:19pm
If you need justification for a new bike, it isn't necessary. Just buy a new one and move on.
Hammer 663s
6/9/2018 3:23pm
If you like the bike, just ride it. I had 150 on mine when I sold it, and it is still running strong for the new...
If you like the bike, just ride it. I had 150 on mine when I sold it, and it is still running strong for the new owner. If it makes you feel better, tear it down at 100 hours and throw a new piston in. Unless you aren’t doing proper maintenance, a vet rider on a modern 4 stroke can get 200 hours out of an engine. Have you even had to adjust the valves yet? I’m guessing the answer is no. Save your money for a vacation and enjoy several more years of racing the bike you have.
Destry Abbott, who is a helluvalot faster than me (and doesn’t pay for parts) told me he never even does a piston until 80 hours because even if it’s free, it’s a waste of time.
Checked valves at 40 hours and they were ok. One intake was close. At 80 it's getting a little more finicky to start so I need to check again. I usually do a piston and timing chain at 100 and will with this one keep it or not. My 2010 RMZ was starting to blow a little blue smoke on startup at 100 hours and I did a piston and sold it. I am riding them harder as for some reason I've gotten a bit faster over the last 5 years. Not that I'm fast, but I definitely ride them harder than I did when I was 50. Wink

Mike
NeedMoto
6/9/2018 4:42pm
If you like the bike, just ride it. I had 150 on mine when I sold it, and it is still running strong for the new...
Checked valves at 40 hours and they were ok. One intake was close. At 80 it's getting a little more finicky to start so I need...
Checked valves at 40 hours and they were ok. One intake was close. At 80 it's getting a little more finicky to start so I need to check again. I usually do a piston and timing chain at 100 and will with this one keep it or not. My 2010 RMZ was starting to blow a little blue smoke on startup at 100 hours and I did a piston and sold it. I am riding them harder as for some reason I've gotten a bit faster over the last 5 years. Not that I'm fast, but I definitely ride them harder than I did when I was 50. Wink

Mike
Come on Hammer, vet ridden...?

You left that class long agoTongue

Not far off from 60, your Super SeniorWoohoo
rmoto003
6/9/2018 5:18pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2018 5:18pm
X2

Not sure why a lot of people think you need to do full rebuilds of a bike at low intervals like 100 hours. They arent made of glass...

If you change the oil/clean the filter regularly, no reason to be replacing parts like that. I put 250 hours on my 2013 CRF250 before i put a new crank in it, and the valves were still in spec after all that too... Adjusted them 1 time the whole time i owned the bike (local A/B riding).

I swap pistons at 50 hours because ive had them split down the middle on me before( but not actually break into multiple pieces).

Excluding the clutch and wheels, you wouldn't really need to spend more than $1k to freshen up the bike. Top end - $250ish, plastic -$150ish, graphics -$depends, cam chain - $80, chain and sproket kit - $200, tires/tubes -$200, misc odds and ends $100.....
Hammer 663s
6/10/2018 8:37am
rmoto003 wrote:
X2 Not sure why a lot of people think you need to do full rebuilds of a bike at low intervals like 100 hours. They arent...
X2

Not sure why a lot of people think you need to do full rebuilds of a bike at low intervals like 100 hours. They arent made of glass...

If you change the oil/clean the filter regularly, no reason to be replacing parts like that. I put 250 hours on my 2013 CRF250 before i put a new crank in it, and the valves were still in spec after all that too... Adjusted them 1 time the whole time i owned the bike (local A/B riding).

I swap pistons at 50 hours because ive had them split down the middle on me before( but not actually break into multiple pieces).

Excluding the clutch and wheels, you wouldn't really need to spend more than $1k to freshen up the bike. Top end - $250ish, plastic -$150ish, graphics -$depends, cam chain - $80, chain and sproket kit - $200, tires/tubes -$200, misc odds and ends $100.....
Yup, your math is what I used. All that at ~$1200+ clutch+wheelset, and I'd do new bars and mounts, plus repack the can and have suspension serviced. So $3-4 grand no problem. Decent parts aren't cheap, even with some discounts. I'd do almost all the labor myself. Can you imagine the $$$$ if you took it to a shop to have all that done? Add what, another grand for labor?

I also need new neck protection (mine is worn out), some new gear, and my helmets are all over 5 years old. Looking more like a rebuild is in store for me. I can see dropping $5-6 grand easy on all that.
DPR250R
6/10/2018 8:53am
What’s your engine oil routine?

Only thing I would consider is that most of the rebuild money will be lost on resale. You might be able to get money back for complete wheels and rekluse if you want to take the time to disassemble prior to resale.

FYI... I have the same bike and am fine with it. Not going to sell for another season or two. Not trying to push you out of it.
RCMXracing
6/10/2018 8:58am
Life is short buy the bike, AAANND keep your old one for out of town Moto buds.
Hammer 663s
6/10/2018 9:04am
DPR250R wrote:
What’s your engine oil routine? Only thing I would consider is that most of the rebuild money will be lost on resale. You might be able...
What’s your engine oil routine?

Only thing I would consider is that most of the rebuild money will be lost on resale. You might be able to get money back for complete wheels and rekluse if you want to take the time to disassemble prior to resale.

FYI... I have the same bike and am fine with it. Not going to sell for another season or two. Not trying to push you out of it.
Every 5 hours both motor and trans.Oil filter every other oil change. Air filter every 2-3 rides or so. Same routine for years with no oil-related issues on any bikes ever.

I'm not concerned about resale. I want reliable and safe for another 3-4 years. After that it won't be worth anything anyway.
Hammer 663s
6/10/2018 9:07am
RCMXracing wrote:
My boy is gonna need an 85 next year, and is growing like a weed so will outgrow ALL his gear. Gotta budget for that too. When I win the lottery I will have a huge shop full of bikes. And a guy to maintain it all for me. Smile
RCMXracing
6/10/2018 10:47am
RCMXracing wrote:
My boy is gonna need an 85 next year, and is growing like a weed so will outgrow ALL his gear. Gotta budget for that too...
My boy is gonna need an 85 next year, and is growing like a weed so will outgrow ALL his gear. Gotta budget for that too. When I win the lottery I will have a huge shop full of bikes. And a guy to maintain it all for me. Smile
How’s your credit? ? I hear ya. Kids grow fast. Went from 85, to CRF150 RB, to a 250F in a very short time. Bought all low time used.
bvm111
6/10/2018 11:13am
Get a new one, life is too short and you can’t take it with you!
kb228
6/10/2018 11:29am
Why do you feel it needs a new motor at 100 hours? That thing should go 200 on the crank IF vet ridden
H4L
6/10/2018 11:31am
Just went through this towards the end of last year (Dec.) & I'm also a vet rider. Sold a 10 CRF450r that was dialed to pick up an 18 model. If I was to do it over again I would've rebuilt the 10 & saved a bunch of cash. IMHO the 17/18 oem models are slightly better over a 09-16 with upgrades.
If you're no longer racing like my situation I'd suggest doing a refresh on the 13 & get a few more yrs. out of her.
Hammer 663s
6/10/2018 11:34am
RCMXracing wrote:
My boy is gonna need an 85 next year, and is growing like a weed so will outgrow ALL his gear. Gotta budget for that too...
RCMXracing wrote:
How’s your credit? ? I hear ya. Kids grow fast. Went from 85, to CRF150 RB, to a 250F in a very short time. Bought all...
How’s your credit? ? I hear ya. Kids grow fast. Went from 85, to CRF150 RB, to a 250F in a very short time. Bought all low time used.
Credit is great. I'd love to go to the shop and walk out with a new Husky 350 and 85 in the trailer. Not sure Momma would like that, and this is just for fun. I really don't need a new bike and the boy sure doesn't. Every bike he's had since he started at 5 was low hour used.
Hammer 663s
6/10/2018 11:45am
kb228 wrote:
Why do you feel it needs a new motor at 100 hours? That thing should go 200 on the crank IF vet ridden
It doesn't need a new motor. It will need a piston and timing chain, and I'd like to replace the current Z-start Pro with a Core EXP or Radius. I figure at 100+ hours I might as well look at the head/valves and get that ready for another 100 hours. With all that apart, lets just split the cases and check the trans and the crank play, and put a new water pump on it. I'll have the whole motor out of the frame anyway. If I do this, I'll be keeping the bike for at least another 100 hours and all I want to have to do is change oil/filters and adjust the valves once.

Post a reply to: Rebuild or buy a new one?

The Latest