Reasons to not get a Yamaha

So the dealership that supports my son sales Yamaha and Suzuki. We have a 2017 YZ250f coming and I was wondering if anyone has reasons the Suzuki would be a better choice. Or reasons to not get the Yamaha. We have rode suzuki's for 4 years now but that "New" RMZ 250 doesn't seem like a good choice for the stock class.
|
downard254
6/19/2016 9:07am
Just tell him to hold the throttle on for two seconds longer than everybody else and he'll make up for the lack of power.
Smile
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
6/19/2016 9:11am
At least give the Yamaha a test run, see how he likes it. Stock vs stock there is no comparison!
m121c
6/19/2016 9:39am
They are a great bike, I went from a Suzuki to a Yamaha, Yamaha's power package and suspension are hands down worth it. My Suzuki's modded couldn't keep up with my stock Yamaha.

Like all bikes they do have quarks, and I warn anyone I know about them before they get one. When you get your bike there a few things you should do right away for prevention:

1. WATER. The wiring harness is straight out of the 1980's. When you get the bike (it's best doing this new trust me), disconnect all the electrical and use Di-Electric grease on all the connectors and then put them back together. I recommend wrapping them in some way, I used electrical tape around each connection, especially around the tank area. This will help keep dirt, water, and soap out. It's a piece of mind thing... I've seen way to many Yamaha's not make a moto after a quick in between moto wash.

2. Be careful of the air box. It's literally a vertical drop from the filter to the throttle body, very easy to knock dirt in there.

3. Keep an eye on your frame. Not sure if Yamaha has fixed their weld issue (I heard with the 60th anniversary edition they made the manfu. change) but I've had multiple buddies and my 16 450 crack at the lower steering head weld.

And yes, to the Yamaha die hard fans, it is a very apparent weld issue. Sorry, I don't care you've owned once since you've been conceived with no problems... I know way to many people who have that same weld crack.

4. GYTR Tuner. It's an awesome tool. Diagnostics, easy map changes (MXA has some good ones to start from), and an hour meter. Yamaha sensors and TPS are known to be a little funky, so the diagnostic tool is always a helpful addition to have, just incase.
6/19/2016 9:44am
I rode in 250c yesterday and there was a sea of Yamahas..like 15 of them at least. One Suzuki.

I would go blue and wouldn't look back...unless they are going to cut you a sick deal on that RMZ.

The Shop

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
6/19/2016 9:47am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2016 9:49am
honestly, the only saving grace on suzukis right now is that they cut corners like a ginsu knife. but they have a 3-4? hp disadvantage. the yamaha's have solid suspension out of the box and handling isn't bad.

I am a Suzuki die hard but even I have a hard time throwing their name in the hat while giving up that much horsepower when considering the bike for a STOCK class. If you were modifying the motor I would go Suzuki.

that being said...nothing handle like a Suzuki. and in the amateur ranks hp differences can be made up with a riders ability. Heck I've put down holeshots on a 250f vs 450's
wwoberg
6/19/2016 9:49am
Both are totally different ergonomics. I'm a long time Suzuki rider and now matter how many Yamahas or KTMs I ride, they just don't feel right.
pete24
6/19/2016 10:38am
look at what a yamaha clutch costs and a suzuki one, thats just the start yamaha parts are almost free after paying for suzuki parts
6/19/2016 10:38am
My son got to ride the Suzuki and Yamaha back to back and he likes the Yamaha. I just need info if they had some type of inherent flaws. We will for sure do the wiring harness fix, thanks for that. I will also get the tuner.
RMZ#
6/19/2016 3:12pm
So the dealership that supports my son sales Yamaha and Suzuki. We have a 2017 YZ250f coming and I was wondering if anyone has reasons the...
So the dealership that supports my son sales Yamaha and Suzuki. We have a 2017 YZ250f coming and I was wondering if anyone has reasons the Suzuki would be a better choice. Or reasons to not get the Yamaha. We have rode suzuki's for 4 years now but that "New" RMZ 250 doesn't seem like a good choice for the stock class.
At the local level it does not matter what bike your son rides. If you have Yellow bikes and a good assortment of parts why would you swtich?

Changing bikes won't make your son faster.

ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/19/2016 3:16pm
RMZ# wrote:
At the local level it does not matter what bike your son rides. If you have Yellow bikes and a good assortment of parts why would...
At the local level it does not matter what bike your son rides. If you have Yellow bikes and a good assortment of parts why would you swtich?

Changing bikes won't make your son faster.

Says the guy with the username RMZ! Just teasing...

In all seriousness... Take the Yamaha... There's a reason why it won every single 250F shootout last year, by a mile.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/19/2016 7:11pm
Well Glen Helen National was a yamaha ad for, with all blue bikes up front. High Point was anti-Yamaha ad with one bike each moto going up in smoke...
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
6/19/2016 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2016 7:34pm
Sure like yellow bikes.I would agree with the others on ergos; quite a bit different.There is a few more contigency dollars at amateur level if you are looking for more yama bucks. I wouldn't base it on power, all the modern bikes can be changed for power curves. But if you were riding Suzuki, I would think you have quite few spares parts that can cross over as well?

6/20/2016 12:28am
Get what he finds most comfortable to ride. He's not going any faster on a bike that he doesn't like to ride.
kongols
6/20/2016 12:49am
There is no reason. 250 is a great bike.
Helder
6/20/2016 2:14am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2016 2:16am
m121c wrote:
They are a great bike, I went from a Suzuki to a Yamaha, Yamaha's power package and suspension are hands down worth it. My Suzuki's modded...
They are a great bike, I went from a Suzuki to a Yamaha, Yamaha's power package and suspension are hands down worth it. My Suzuki's modded couldn't keep up with my stock Yamaha.

Like all bikes they do have quarks, and I warn anyone I know about them before they get one. When you get your bike there a few things you should do right away for prevention:

1. WATER. The wiring harness is straight out of the 1980's. When you get the bike (it's best doing this new trust me), disconnect all the electrical and use Di-Electric grease on all the connectors and then put them back together. I recommend wrapping them in some way, I used electrical tape around each connection, especially around the tank area. This will help keep dirt, water, and soap out. It's a piece of mind thing... I've seen way to many Yamaha's not make a moto after a quick in between moto wash.

2. Be careful of the air box. It's literally a vertical drop from the filter to the throttle body, very easy to knock dirt in there.

3. Keep an eye on your frame. Not sure if Yamaha has fixed their weld issue (I heard with the 60th anniversary edition they made the manfu. change) but I've had multiple buddies and my 16 450 crack at the lower steering head weld.

And yes, to the Yamaha die hard fans, it is a very apparent weld issue. Sorry, I don't care you've owned once since you've been conceived with no problems... I know way to many people who have that same weld crack.

4. GYTR Tuner. It's an awesome tool. Diagnostics, easy map changes (MXA has some good ones to start from), and an hour meter. Yamaha sensors and TPS are known to be a little funky, so the diagnostic tool is always a helpful addition to have, just incase.
Sounds like you have had a very different experance with your Yamaha's then i have?? i have had a 14 (90hrs) and 15 (55 hrs) YZ450f and i sprayed them suckers everywhere with high pressure water and never had a problem once, just put a bit of electrical grease on the plug seals which should be common practice anyway.

16 WR450f the same i hammer that sucker with the water, its a bit like air forks a lot of people commenting saying they are crap have never ridden on them its just what they have herd from some pit race talking shit.

Never had a weld issue either....now to the KTM450SXf's i had from 2011-2014.....Whistling

But i do read about a few issues but personally don't know anyone that has had any of the mentioned problems...
c0ncEpT
6/20/2016 7:48am
My 2016 is just over 30 hours now and I haven't had a single issue with it. 90% moto 10% trails. By far my favorite bike I've ever owned.
Jarrod458
6/20/2016 8:31am
Get a Kaw! Most usable power, no frames cracking and no bikes blowing up in the first few hours. Great support from team green at all the big races also!!!
m121c
6/20/2016 9:03am
Helder wrote:
Sounds like you have had a very different experance with your Yamaha's then i have?? i have had a 14 (90hrs) and 15 (55 hrs) YZ450f...
Sounds like you have had a very different experance with your Yamaha's then i have?? i have had a 14 (90hrs) and 15 (55 hrs) YZ450f and i sprayed them suckers everywhere with high pressure water and never had a problem once, just put a bit of electrical grease on the plug seals which should be common practice anyway.

16 WR450f the same i hammer that sucker with the water, its a bit like air forks a lot of people commenting saying they are crap have never ridden on them its just what they have herd from some pit race talking shit.

Never had a weld issue either....now to the KTM450SXf's i had from 2011-2014.....Whistling

But i do read about a few issues but personally don't know anyone that has had any of the mentioned problems...
2015 yz250f - Motor seized at 8 hours. Bike ingested mass amount of water and dirt through the intake due to a crushed O-Ring around the fuel injector from the factory. (Weird deal I know, doesn't reflect the bike) But it was damn near a fist fight with Yamaha and it took 3 months to get it fixed by them. No secret, I have hated Yamaha since, just the way I was treated was ridiculous.

2016 yz450 - Frame Crack at 20 hours. Just got word from my dealer that Yamaha is actually sending me a new frame (I'm speechless), not as a warranty issue, but as what they call "good gesture warranty forgiveness". Basically so they don't have to pay the dealer the labor. Whatever, I'm pumped!

When I bought my Yamaha (15) the first thing I was told was about the wiring harness. This was directly from the Sexton's when Chase was on Yami, they couldn't stress that enough. Had a couple buddies on Horton Racing say the same exact thing. Better to just try to avoid a possible issue than to wait to have one...

The frame cracking deal... had a buddy have his crack this spring, he had a couple buddies who have as well. Heck, there's multiple topics just here alone.....

But you're right just like the air fork deal! Man, some of you are so loyal to your brands.

Maybe if there was no such thing as bad luck, I'd have no luck IDK, but yes I have had a very different experience then most. I'm not bagging on the bike either, my experience (beside the frame BS) was just a freak thing. It happens to all brands and I understand that, but Yamaha is the most resistant on backing their products than any other brand I have ever dealt with, customer service is just terrible. Issues aside, I love my Yamaha, the bike is awesome.
6/21/2016 8:32pm
Thanx for the reply guys. Looks like we are going to get the Yamaha. I'm going to do the wiring harness stuff and cross my fingers on the frame.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
6/21/2016 9:20pm
#1 reason - horribly ugly front fender Cool
Helder
6/22/2016 1:27am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2016 1:28am
Helder wrote:
Sounds like you have had a very different experance with your Yamaha's then i have?? i have had a 14 (90hrs) and 15 (55 hrs) YZ450f...

m121c wrote:
2015 yz250f - Motor seized at 8 hours. Bike ingested mass amount of water and dirt through the intake due to a crushed O-Ring around the...
2015 yz250f - Motor seized at 8 hours. Bike ingested mass amount of water and dirt through the intake due to a crushed O-Ring around the fuel injector from the factory. (Weird deal I know, doesn't reflect the bike) But it was damn near a fist fight with Yamaha and it took 3 months to get it fixed by them. No secret, I have hated Yamaha since, just the way I was treated was ridiculous.

2016 yz450 - Frame Crack at 20 hours. Just got word from my dealer that Yamaha is actually sending me a new frame (I'm speechless), not as a warranty issue, but as what they call "good gesture warranty forgiveness". Basically so they don't have to pay the dealer the labor. Whatever, I'm pumped!

When I bought my Yamaha (15) the first thing I was told was about the wiring harness. This was directly from the Sexton's when Chase was on Yami, they couldn't stress that enough. Had a couple buddies on Horton Racing say the same exact thing. Better to just try to avoid a possible issue than to wait to have one...

The frame cracking deal... had a buddy have his crack this spring, he had a couple buddies who have as well. Heck, there's multiple topics just here alone.....

But you're right just like the air fork deal! Man, some of you are so loyal to your brands.

Maybe if there was no such thing as bad luck, I'd have no luck IDK, but yes I have had a very different experience then most. I'm not bagging on the bike either, my experience (beside the frame BS) was just a freak thing. It happens to all brands and I understand that, but Yamaha is the most resistant on backing their products than any other brand I have ever dealt with, customer service is just terrible. Issues aside, I love my Yamaha, the bike is awesome.
Damn that is bad you would think all Yammy's come from the same factory.

True about the frame issue its just I have never seen one but like you say there are multiple threads here regarding it just never seen one in Aus do it but I'm sure there are a few.

And I'm not diehard Yammy man only been back on them for a few years after having KTM's for ages.
robkinuk
6/22/2016 8:14am
Latest YZF250cc and 450cc unveiled at Matterley British MXGP by Jeremy van Horbeek and Romain Febvre

resetjet
6/22/2016 9:35am
16 yz250f is by far the goofiest bike i gave ridden in awhile. The guy who made that tank shroud frontend stuff should be fired. However, it is by far the best 250f i have ever ridden. Feels like. Mountain bike, suspension good out of box and great broad power.....i own a 13 ktm 250f, but i will change to yam when money allows.
TSCHAM101
6/22/2016 10:32am
i had a buddy get life lifted out of pala when his rear shock blew apart on the big triple.. stripped the threads off the shock shaft and sent him catapulting into the sky going about 65mph.. on a 16 yz450..
IceMan446
6/22/2016 10:42am
TSCHAM101 wrote:
i had a buddy get life lifted out of pala when his rear shock blew apart on the big triple.. stripped the threads off the shock...
i had a buddy get life lifted out of pala when his rear shock blew apart on the big triple.. stripped the threads off the shock shaft and sent him catapulting into the sky going about 65mph.. on a 16 yz450..
Did he have any suspension work done previous to that???
Cygnus
6/22/2016 11:04am
robkinuk wrote:
Latest YZF250cc and 450cc unveiled at Matterley British MXGP by Jeremy van Horbeek and Romain Febvre [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/22/140522/s1200_2016_06_17_17.50.22.jpg[/img]
Latest YZF250cc and 450cc unveiled at Matterley British MXGP by Jeremy van Horbeek and Romain Febvre

Ok that's it I am wearing sweat pants to work from today forward.
m121c
6/22/2016 11:07am
TSCHAM101 wrote:
i had a buddy get life lifted out of pala when his rear shock blew apart on the big triple.. stripped the threads off the shock...
First off, hope all is well with your buddy, scary stuff!

This is odd though... I too have had shock issues on my 16 450. Although I have had the shock done and I only rode it once before it was revalved, I've had issues with my preload rings unlocking and coming loose as I ride.. not really something you can blame on the a revalve you know?

Additionally, the internal body of my shock had some small but rough casting flaws that ripped the new seals from the revalve on the first ride. I should really start asking what day my bike was built on... Laughing

I wouldn't think Yamaha does the assembly or manufacturing on the suspension components? This would be a KYB problem?

Post a reply to: Reasons to not get a Yamaha

The Latest