Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
12/16/2017 6:49am
Pretty sure John Dowd didn't even ride a dirtbike till he was like 16
Dowdy didn’t race until he was 21!
FWYT
12/16/2017 8:24am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2017 8:25am
Starting young is awesome because that's when you can go ride on a tiny, crappy dirt lot
on a pull-start Briggs and Stratton hard tail mini bike
and it's just the best fugging thing in the whole wide world.
lumpy790
12/16/2017 8:27am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2017 8:28am
Most top pros today started out young on a 50 and raced at Lorettas in the 50 class. Most of them now raced in the KTM SX series at some time.

A lot of Cobra riders graduated to Pro speed
12/16/2017 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2017 2:11pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Most top pros today started out young on a 50 and raced at Lorettas in the 50 class. Most of them now raced in the KTM...
Most top pros today started out young on a 50 and raced at Lorettas in the 50 class. Most of them now raced in the KTM SX series at some time.

A lot of Cobra riders graduated to Pro speed
I remember when it was 39-40 cobras on the line. and 2-3 KTMs. So yes most older pros today were on a cobra in the 90s!

The Shop

hyler199
12/16/2017 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2017 2:46pm
Its simple..... do you want your kid to have a chance to be a top tier pro or even enough to win local pro races? If yes, start them asap....if you just want them to be a local Novice B/A rider then start them with bmx or mountain biking and ride every now and then for fun.

It may of been possible back in the day for raw talent like Dowd to make it to pro. But nowadays when you go to Loretta all these kids are gnarly. It will only get worse and worse really where the top 20 riders+ have been riding since 3-4 years old.

I figured if you related it to any other sport.... would any pro hockey player of picked up a stick at age 12? First time playing competitive soccer at 14, would he be FIFA bound?

Pretty common sense question if you ask me. The bond and technique you gain from riding young is priceless. Confidence in jumps especially.
roninho
12/17/2017 1:08am
Pffffffff...

The last thing i would worry about is a potential pro career for my kid when picking up a sport. 99,9% wont become a pro and 98% never have a shot at it. If becoming a pro is the mindset the kid will feel that and your just setting him up for failure.

I would suggest to start with fun. And always keep fun as the most important requirement for whatever sport your kid chooses.

After a while you can add things like goal setting. Imo goal settting, working hard for this, succeeding and also failing are an important part of the positive effects of a (individual) sport like motocross. However keep the targets big but somewhat realistic.

As for age: with todays battery playbikes for kids you can start at 3 if you'd like, but i'd say some where up to 5 or 6 it just stays "playing" in stead of a sport.
12/17/2017 8:23am
McGrath started late..... Weston Peick started late.... Before this great questions gets ruined by the negative vitards complaining about mommy and daddy’s money....here is my thoughts...
McGrath started late.....
Weston Peick started late....

Before this great questions gets ruined by the negative vitards complaining about mommy and daddy’s money....here is my thoughts on starting young. And I’m no pro. But I do pay my taxes and am a self reliant citizen....

Starting young you develop a special bond with your family that people outside the family won’t understand—teachers, neighbors etc....

Starting young teaches you that you won’t win everything in life without putting in some serious hard work. And even after the serious work has been put in you still might lose out. Great transition to real life skill.

Starting young shows you that nothing is handed to you on the track. Critical thinking begins on how to navigate a track, set up a pass...avoid pitfalls. Problem solving at a split second...Etc. critical thinking: another transition to real life skill.

Starting young teaches the kid that he/she has to depend on mom/dad/mechanic but that it all comes down to the single rider when racing. Great life skill....you depend on others but you still have to perform yourself to be successful.

START EM YOUNG! And don’t even focus on a pro career. Let the young focus on that if that’s where they wanna be.

I don’t think I’d be where I am today without family support and motocross as a large part of my young life.
McGrath started late, but I remember Weston as a chubby little kid battling it out on PWs at Perris Raceway Super Saturday races in the 90s.
abn166
12/17/2017 1:27pm
Looking for some of your thoughts on starting to ride at a young age. Do you guys feel there are benefits of starting to ride at...
Looking for some of your thoughts on starting to ride at a young age. Do you guys feel there are benefits of starting to ride at a young age. This could be either to pursue a professional career or simply to ride for fun.

Thoughts?
brightgrey wrote:
Seriously? There are absolutely ZERO benefits of starting to ride at a young age. It is common knowledge that all of the sport's top pros, including...
Seriously? There are absolutely ZERO benefits of starting to ride at a young age. It is common knowledge that all of the sport's top pros, including MC, RV, RD, and JS7, did not start riding until they were about 17, which is the min age required to turn pro. Here's a little fun fact, both RD5 and AC92 won the first race they ever competed in, which happened to be a 250 lites supercross race! Now I am not saying that was the first time they ever swung a leg over a bike, but think about it, had they been riding for longer than about a year at that time, they would have been either too burnt out to even want to compete in a race or they would have had too many injuries to continue. I think everyone here would agree it is definitely best to start them late and and at the highest possible level!
James Stewart must have been a very small 17 year old.

Jeff alessi
12/17/2017 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2017 1:48pm
You need to start at 5, if you want a serious career! Historically threw the amatuer ranks the kids that were there early, or even there at one point ( canards dad died at an early age n he disappeared when he was my main class rival when I moved to 65 85 class at 8-9) in my class a top 10 contender at all amatuer nationals (whitney n mosr, mammoth Ponca lorettas mini os vegas) won championships regional and premier 450cc supercross motorcross! Guys like will Hahn were fast lil kawi kids, lemoine n Cunningham were stellar Texas kids. Ozzy was fast, stroupy and izzi killed the mud. Believe it or not Dungey was a 9th place guy for my division, hill and Osborne were 1 and 3, I was 2nd. Hill killed us at lorettas, n he always missed Ponca to be ready! Dungey was 6th at us open 85 special class, today's monster cup has evolved those opportunities to showcase amateurs.

If your asking about fun local stuff I would just say get a trainer a few times a year. They will evolve your racing 10 fold real fast if you get the right guy. If you catch me somewhere u can get a ton of good info for cheap because I love teaching riders the frame. It's very easy for me to do in one class. I advise everyone reading this to invest atleast some time to being around a pro, and if you can find one that's current that knows how to explain stuff to slower riders or there friend latch onto what they say! Value in knowledge is your best upgrade. Even for some pros they need to invest in start classes. The race can be won or lost at certain races where start is everything.
12/17/2017 2:18pm
Start young for fun.
Get serious early teens (if you want to bother)

There is a fair bit to of research in other sports how kids development of things like muscle memory doesnt happen until later in life.

Although they started young, none of these guys was great until they were older - RV, RD, ET.

JWACK
12/17/2017 3:23pm

It all starts on a bicycle. Almost all the skills carry over to motorcycles.
This is my 3 year old (at time of pic) who rides wheelies! Cool
I am not in any hurry to have her on a Moto track but my deal with her since the beginning is that she needed to ride a bike without training wheels before she ever got on a motorcycle. It was good motivation for her to do it on her own and certainly provided an exciting goal for her. She reached that goal and the next day dad went out and picked up a pw.
Now she is 4 and riding her pw without any issue. If she wants to race she will. If not that's ok. For me it's really about the family time and learning little life leasons along the way.

12/17/2017 8:33pm
How can they really feel the pressure to perform and stress of the family deciding to get a second mortgage to go to Loretta's at the age of 9 if they haven't started young? On the other hand there is a local ripper that I would bet the farm on if he was my kid his name is Chance Hymas, the kid just loves moto. Rode well at Loretta's and looked good at the MEC.
Moto75
12/17/2017 8:35pm
Looking for some of your thoughts on starting to ride at a young age. Do you guys feel there are benefits of starting to ride at...
Looking for some of your thoughts on starting to ride at a young age. Do you guys feel there are benefits of starting to ride at a young age. This could be either to pursue a professional career or simply to ride for fun.

Thoughts?
brightgrey wrote:
Seriously? There are absolutely ZERO benefits of starting to ride at a young age. It is common knowledge that all of the sport's top pros, including...
Seriously? There are absolutely ZERO benefits of starting to ride at a young age. It is common knowledge that all of the sport's top pros, including MC, RV, RD, and JS7, did not start riding until they were about 17, which is the min age required to turn pro. Here's a little fun fact, both RD5 and AC92 won the first race they ever competed in, which happened to be a 250 lites supercross race! Now I am not saying that was the first time they ever swung a leg over a bike, but think about it, had they been riding for longer than about a year at that time, they would have been either too burnt out to even want to compete in a race or they would have had too many injuries to continue. I think everyone here would agree it is definitely best to start them late and and at the highest possible level!
Yep... Stewart & Carmichael started well after having hair on their chest.

My take on it is a bit different.. My son is a top level bmx kid - nag 1, factory team, etc. I have only allowed him to progress as I thought he understood the consequences of his actions. Basically, I didn't want my 5 year old to break his neck without understanding that meant he may never walk again. So, as he's grown & understood possible severity, I've released the reigns. Now it's anything goes, but there were a few years where I throttled him back & focused on skills / technique.

lumpy790
12/18/2017 5:36am
In other Professional sports like football, baseball, soccer, NASCAR ...... you dont this they started playing at a young age???
nytsmaC
12/18/2017 9:49am
Doug Doubach had never even seen a motorcycle until he was 44 years old.

Post a reply to: Reasons or benefits of starting young?

The Latest