Reasons VS excuses

just James
Edited Date/Time 12/23/2012 2:45am
When racing, there are always reasons why any one competitor finishes where he or she does.
In discussing the results with said rider, what would you consider the difference between that rider stating reasons, and that rider making excuses?
|
MX45
12/22/2012 7:29pm
"shit happens" vs. "you make your own luck"
dirtnapper
12/22/2012 7:31pm
Whenever I bomb at a race its ALWAYS cause my Dunlops weren't hooking up that day! Whistling
jndmx
12/22/2012 8:04pm
just James wrote:
When racing, there are always reasons why any one competitor finishes where he or she does. In discussing the results with said rider, what would you...
When racing, there are always reasons why any one competitor finishes where he or she does.
In discussing the results with said rider, what would you consider the difference between that rider stating reasons, and that rider making excuses?
You must be new around here.

When it is your favorite rider......
"They are simply stating the reasons why things went the way they did and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it."

When it is a rider you do not care for........
"That's a bunch of pussy excuses and a real man would sack up and just say they got beat that night."

The Shop

just James
12/22/2012 8:19pm
Actually, I don't have much respect for any rider who can't seem to face reality when they don't win.
That is one thing I really admire about Reed. He doesn't have any trouble admitting when he just plain gets beat. He just vows to come back stronger at the next race.
I also thought it was classy of Alessi to admit that Dungey was at another level speed wise. I didn't see it as throwing in the towel, but facing reality at that time.
TerryK
12/22/2012 8:33pm
just James wrote:
Actually, I don't have much respect for any rider who can't seem to face reality when they don't win. That is one thing I really admire...
Actually, I don't have much respect for any rider who can't seem to face reality when they don't win.
That is one thing I really admire about Reed. He doesn't have any trouble admitting when he just plain gets beat. He just vows to come back stronger at the next race.
I also thought it was classy of Alessi to admit that Dungey was at another level speed wise. I didn't see it as throwing in the towel, but facing reality at that time.
I find it interesting you say this (and I agree 100%, always have) because Reed haters have always called him a whiner.
MX4EVR
12/22/2012 8:34pm
It's all about what you did to prepare before you showed up to race
Plain and simple
Sure there is some things that happen that you can't controll but one is not that you got a bad start
MX4EVR
12/22/2012 8:38pm
Responding to the reed opinion
He has not always admitted when he got plain beat
Early years he was a little bit of a sissy
I and all over the cr22 bandwagon these days but it took a long time for that to happen
Just stating facts
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
12/22/2012 8:43pm
just James wrote:
When racing, there are always reasons why any one competitor finishes where he or she does. In discussing the results with said rider, what would you...
jndmx wrote:
You must be new around here. When it is your favorite rider...... "They are simply stating the reasons why things went the way they did and...

"They are simply stating the reasons why things went the way they did and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it."

"That's a bunch of pussy excuses and a real man would sack up and just say they got beat that night."
This ^^^

Most of the time the riders are just telling the reason why they feel that they didn't do well.
ando
12/22/2012 8:56pm
just James wrote:
Entirely dependent on the viewpoint of the audience.
TerryK
12/22/2012 11:17pm
MX4EVR wrote:
Responding to the reed opinion He has not always admitted when he got plain beat Early years he was a little bit of a sissy I...
Responding to the reed opinion
He has not always admitted when he got plain beat
Early years he was a little bit of a sissy
I and all over the cr22 bandwagon these days but it took a long time for that to happen
Just stating facts
See?
Rizzo
12/23/2012 12:38am
Perfect Example of Reasons-Ryan Dungey Monster Cup 2012, his shifter was bent and he had to shift the bike with his hand over the triple jump

Perfect Example of Excuses-Yea, the temperature fell between practice and the qualifiers and my tires got real hard, I think the air pressure went up as well causing more stiffness. Then my clutch started to fade and then I could see my bar pad wasn't perfectly positioned and then I lost focus altogether because the lighting was off.

Over the years, RC was really good about saying he got beat and that he would work on it and be back next week. Reed has become a lot better at that as well. MC kinda showed everyone the way, but he was always winning and since then, RC has led from there and has set the bar on how to handle a loss. Hard to find a more competitive person on the track right now than RV, he usually tells it like it is win or lose. No competitor wants to accept defeat, but acknowledgeing it and accepting are 2 different things. There are some in the sport that need to recognize the difference and possibly learn how to take a small loss and use it as motivation for the big picture.
Motodave15
12/23/2012 1:38am
jndmx wrote:
You must be new around here. When it is your favorite rider...... "They are simply stating the reasons why things went the way they did and...

X100000000000

What gain does a rider get for making excuses???.... None period.

I always assume the riders are being honest, and responding to questions in a political correct way. (I wish we could do away with political correctness and allow swearing, show the true person)

But there answers will always be interpreted in different ways, by different people....There will never be a unanimous correct answer
Motodave15
12/23/2012 1:41am
Rizzo wrote:
Perfect Example of Reasons-Ryan Dungey Monster Cup 2012, his shifter was bent and he had to shift the bike with his hand over the triple jump...
Perfect Example of Reasons-Ryan Dungey Monster Cup 2012, his shifter was bent and he had to shift the bike with his hand over the triple jump

Perfect Example of Excuses-Yea, the temperature fell between practice and the qualifiers and my tires got real hard, I think the air pressure went up as well causing more stiffness. Then my clutch started to fade and then I could see my bar pad wasn't perfectly positioned and then I lost focus altogether because the lighting was off.

Over the years, RC was really good about saying he got beat and that he would work on it and be back next week. Reed has become a lot better at that as well. MC kinda showed everyone the way, but he was always winning and since then, RC has led from there and has set the bar on how to handle a loss. Hard to find a more competitive person on the track right now than RV, he usually tells it like it is win or lose. No competitor wants to accept defeat, but acknowledgeing it and accepting are 2 different things. There are some in the sport that need to recognize the difference and possibly learn how to take a small loss and use it as motivation for the big picture.
You must lose alot, I hate losing at anything... and there is always a reason hahahhahahah

I will acknowledge it... Never accept it for i am always the best competitor...In (online gaming, hockey, etc) Tongue
12/23/2012 1:59am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2012 6:41am
You also have to keep in mind though that there's always a huge psychological battle going on between all the riders that's vitally important for grasping momentum, especially when they're VERY close in speed. It's easy for us fans to say "Oh well you should admit when you get beat" - but if you're actually the rider out there with a lot invested in it; in front of 50 something thousand fans every week.... understandably you may be a little less willing to divulge a weakness. Doing so will only make the competition stronger. Though with that said there are times when it's so obvious that it's probably best to be honest.

I remember this argument most notably in regards to Chad Reed between 05 and 07, when CR was struggling with the Yamaha's. For some people it was just an excuse, whereas for others (including myself) I could see that he was genuinely hating the bikes those years.
Lone Wolf
12/23/2012 2:45am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2012 2:53am
just James wrote:
jndmx wrote:

gsxrcr28 wrote:
This ^^^

Most of the time the riders are just telling the reason why they feel that they didn't do well.
These two posts pretty much sum it up, IMO.

I would rather hear the riders discuss their race than give a politically correct "I just got beat" most of the time.

Post a reply to: Reasons VS excuses

The Latest