Rear plates on having sponsors logos not numbers

Edited Date/Time 9/9/2019 7:51am
We do sometimes talk about how expensive our sport is and how difficult for some privateers is to do an entire season. Not to mention the hard time some pro teams have when looking for support for the next seasson -Ex. Suzuki JGR loosing Yoshimura-
When a sponsor shows up, it's usually related to the sport. When an outside sponsor shows up, it doesn't usually stay for too long. Reason why? Not enough exposure of his product?

Recently we've seen love/hate with the example above but the truth is that as more space you give the sponsor to show his logo, the happier he is going to be... motogp kinda design.

Currently, a rider is showing his number in 4 places -rear plate left, rear plate right, front plate and back of the jersey-. These 4 places are probably the most visible ones in supercross -except for the helmet-. Is it really necesary for a rider to show his number that much? Pretty sure they wouldn't mind leaving some of that space for a sponsor to help him finacially.

There's been a 50%50% sometimes, only mx I believe:

Above, examples of years ago. Not every sponsor came from the industry. Most of them were non related to the sport. When did this happen? Well, there hasn't been that much exposure in a bike for a brand since then... coincidence?

And so on...

Luongo want's MXGP to be like MotoGP. How many classes are there? Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP... Do they identify them with black/white/red backgrounds behind their numbers? No. The riders numbers is not a priority for them. They have way more space in their bikes than us in motocross, and they even don't waste their space with big numbers or white/black backgrounds. They integrate them into the bike design:

In motocross we do get dirty and so on, visibility is lower than in motogp. In motocross we do give the front of the jersey to the sponsors which is the part that gets more dirty. In the back of the jessey is where the number is which is the part that stay cleaner. Does it make sense? How much money do the rider number bring to the team? How much money do a sponsor bring? In the opposite side, in motogp they give all the space to sponsor but the buttpatch:

In Formula 1 they don't care about the drivers numbers. The know the importance of logo placement.

Luongo knows the importance of logo placement as he puts high banners all around the tracks making the spectators who paid the ticket not able to almost anything

So... big logos around the tracks but not on the bikes?

{poll:813}
Poll

So the rear plates....

Choices
|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/8/2019 6:43pm
Over here, the teams have much more latitude to use the sponsor logos on sideplates, but very few seem to change it up much for the summer season.
kb228
9/8/2019 6:46pm
The reason they are what they are is because the AMA specifies it. Theres rules on number height, color, and background color. Also rules for jersey numbers. If these rules werent in place youd see sponsor logos there 50/50 for sure.

Im fine with front number plate and jersey only for numbers. Do whatever on the side panels.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/8/2019 6:47pm

KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
9/8/2019 6:52pm
My only issue not having numbers on the side plates is when the riders wear the same gear head to toe and it’s hard to differentiate teammates.

in MotoGP the riders have distinct color ways, Valentino in his trademark yellow, Lorenzo in red, Etc.

The Shop

9/8/2019 6:53pm
kb228 wrote:
The reason they are what they are is because the AMA specifies it. Theres rules on number height, color, and background color. Also rules for jersey...
The reason they are what they are is because the AMA specifies it. Theres rules on number height, color, and background color. Also rules for jersey numbers. If these rules werent in place youd see sponsor logos there 50/50 for sure.

Im fine with front number plate and jersey only for numbers. Do whatever on the side panels.
I'm statin this for Supercross and Motocross in general. AMA and MXGP. Both.

Yeah, there are rules. But rules can be changed. Just want to see with this post if you guys would like these rules to be changed. If you would like to see more space available for logos.
9/8/2019 6:55pm
My only issue not having numbers on the side plates is when the riders wear the same gear head to toe and it’s hard to differentiate...
My only issue not having numbers on the side plates is when the riders wear the same gear head to toe and it’s hard to differentiate teammates.

in MotoGP the riders have distinct color ways, Valentino in his trademark yellow, Lorenzo in red, Etc.
Incorporate more distinctive color ways to motocross as you say could be a great idea. Riders could even sell merchandise....
mikec265
9/8/2019 7:09pm
I don't care how they do it. Just let the riders get the biggest paycheck possible, if large logos are on the number plates. Most are underpaid anyhow.
cwtoyota
9/8/2019 7:15pm
GuyB wrote:
Over here, the teams have much more latitude to use the sponsor logos on sideplates, but very few seem to change it up much for the...
Over here, the teams have much more latitude to use the sponsor logos on sideplates, but very few seem to change it up much for the summer season.
One of those "summer seasons" in the last ten or 12 years almost all the teams switched to smaller numbers on the side-plates... That trend didn't last more than a year and they all switched back.

I was thinking it was maybe 2009 or 2012 or somewhere in there but I can't remember.

Just like those Slater Skins, the small or absent numbers seem like a good idea (financially) but they just don't work for the racers and the fans.

Eventually, we'll all have some kind of augmented reality chip implant, or some Google-Glasses that overlay the sponsors in our field of view as we watch the race live. (By we, I mean everyone but me Laughing ).

VetMX.com
9/8/2019 7:19pm
You laid out a good argument.
I think the plate on the front and the number on the back is enough since they have transponders anyways for muddy days.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
9/8/2019 7:30pm
I dont think the sponsor space is the main issue.. Its more the sponsors being allowed.
Look at the issue Reed had with his Helmet cam sponsor, Wilson with Ignite.
If AMA allowed riders to have more freedom wit sponsor choice instead of the whole major sponsors taking control.
Johnny Depp
9/8/2019 8:06pm
Good post and question. I'll take it a step further. Numbers are an obsolete leftover from the days when stick and ball teams would issue the same jersey's with sewed on numbers to different people year after year. In today's world where we have screen printing and sublimating and graphics companies everywhere there is no need for numbers when you can have initials. What is the point in needing to refer to some sort of list to reference a number to a name?

We are however wasting our breath, tradition and resistance to change outweighs good sense.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
9/8/2019 9:28pm
Good post and question. I'll take it a step further. Numbers are an obsolete leftover from the days when stick and ball teams would issue the...
Good post and question. I'll take it a step further. Numbers are an obsolete leftover from the days when stick and ball teams would issue the same jersey's with sewed on numbers to different people year after year. In today's world where we have screen printing and sublimating and graphics companies everywhere there is no need for numbers when you can have initials. What is the point in needing to refer to some sort of list to reference a number to a name?

We are however wasting our breath, tradition and resistance to change outweighs good sense.
Because a birth name shorted by the initial has a hell of a higher chance of duplication with multiple riders. I mean off the top of my head in the 450 class, Justin Barcia, Justin Brayton and Justin Bogle..
9/8/2019 9:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2019 9:32pm
Waitn for old sk\ool bitches to say numbers r a must on side plates.
Johnny Depp
9/8/2019 10:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2019 10:27pm
Good post and question. I'll take it a step further. Numbers are an obsolete leftover from the days when stick and ball teams would issue the...

Markee wrote:
Because a birth name shorted by the initial has a hell of a higher chance of duplication with multiple riders. I mean off the top of...
Because a birth name shorted by the initial has a hell of a higher chance of duplication with multiple riders. I mean off the top of my head in the 450 class, Justin Barcia, Justin Brayton and Justin Bogle..
That is not so big of a problem. JS7 ring a bell? 27 letters and 10 numbers. At least you have a chance of knowing who JB is if you don't know the number. Worst case you look it up on a list like you do now for EVERYONE.

Rider's are the main character and they are under represented. Manufacturer's and Sponsors all get their name plastered everywhere, but the rider gets a number like a prisoner.
dimetime
9/8/2019 10:36pm
I prefer the look of 50/50 personally. I'm kind of a traditionalist but this seems natural.

Overall l think American moto is too up tight. I'd have no problem with a shake up.
OT
Fantasy
3056th
9/9/2019 1:50am
I don't think logo placement is the issue with drawing in new sponsors. I think it's the size of the sport and the publicity/press coverage it gets. Moto GP riders are household names, like Footballers and Golfers. Go ask a random guy on the street if he knows who Tiger Woods is, then ask him if he knows Cooper Webb...
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
9/9/2019 3:13am
I would only allow skittles to have their logo in sideplates.
zippytech
9/9/2019 4:14am
That stuff may look good in a photo or in person but when watched on tv you cannot see any of the logos for the most part.
Bearuno
9/9/2019 4:48am
Some pictures in previous posts show how the GPs did it for a few years - small, through to, eventually, no side numbers required.

I'm not sure of the GP rules now, but think in at least one Moto at the Turkish MXGP, Bogers of Team Honda in the MXGP class had blank side plates. I'm not 100% sure of that, as I only saw a bit of it on a small screen, after I stayed up all night through to daylight watching AFT, that Hillbilly forced me to watch .......Woohoo I'm still a bit of a sleep deprived ( well, I always am) Zombie, and have not caught up and watched the full Motos from Turkey.

I think a major part of why the 'skins' set ups ( that have been around for Decades) just haven't caught on, is manufacturers - with major and smaller teams, and even semi backed shop teams and privateers who get bikes for free or at great discounts - requirement is that they keep stock shaped / silhouette bodywork. Not to mention mechanical access - be it perceived or real. Heat dispertion is a very valid concern too.

And, of course, that so many owners of bikes do not find them to their liking........
YZ324
9/9/2019 5:06am
Well thought out post.

My .02 is run sponsors logos as much as possible. The riders run transponders anyway right? Then after the race run sponsors list for the rider being interviewed down one side of the screen and let the rider talk about the race instead of spending his time thanking sponsors. That’s what THIS fan would like to see.
CPR
9/9/2019 5:08am

Not so much a leftover from stick n ball so much as from the time before transponders.
Remember when the lap scoring was done by a few dedicated volunteers writing down your number as you came past?
Surely everyone at some stage had the number nazi lady who whinged about your font choice because "is that a 7 or a 1?" as you wheeled through scrutineering?
olds cool
9/9/2019 5:29am
My only issue not having numbers on the side plates is when the riders wear the same gear head to toe and it’s hard to differentiate...

thepelican wrote:
Incorporate more distinctive color ways to motocross as you say could be a great idea. Riders could even sell merchandise....
That last sentence...

Good luck with that! SillyWhistlingAngryEvil
Johnny Depp
9/9/2019 6:16am

CPR wrote:
Not so much a leftover from stick n ball so much as from the time before transponders. Remember when the lap scoring was done by a...
Not so much a leftover from stick n ball so much as from the time before transponders.
Remember when the lap scoring was done by a few dedicated volunteers writing down your number as you came past?
Surely everyone at some stage had the number nazi lady who whinged about your font choice because "is that a 7 or a 1?" as you wheeled through scrutineering?
Initials don't make any difference using that form of scoring which is still the norm locally.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
9/9/2019 7:41am
Good Topic, especially exploring the reasons why the outside sponsors come in but dont stay ,
It Seems Rear number plates keep getting smaller and smaller, maybe they could make a certain size (bigger) mandatory and then leave the option for up to 50% ?
spimx
9/9/2019 8:04am
I think it's a great idea to do away with the numbers for sponsors. It will be a challenge and opportunity for gear companys to distinguish their riders

Post a reply to: Rear plates on having sponsors logos not numbers

The Latest