Real time POV concussion test GoPro style

PFitzG38
I had to post this here, it’s too good not to. Plus, if it causes just one person to make their friends stop riding after swearing they were not knocked out, or convinces one person to heed their friends advice to pack it up after not being able to find your truck then it’s worth it.

The thing is I totally know better, that’s what's so scary.

It’s a little long but the end is the best part.

Story and GoPro Footie

Photo: Dean Bradley

|
rongi#401
9/22/2016 1:38am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2016 1:40am
thats a bummer, i ate shit so hard one time i dont remember the whole day.
oh crap, why would they let you go again!!
dude, when you say "wtf track is this"
mx621
9/22/2016 5:07am
rongi#401 wrote:
thats a bummer, i ate shit so hard one time i dont remember the whole day. oh crap, why would they let you go again!! dude...
thats a bummer, i ate shit so hard one time i dont remember the whole day.
oh crap, why would they let you go again!!
dude, when you say "wtf track is this"
yea ive been there... first lap on a freshly tilled track, it was deep! like didn't need the brakes deep.. I over jumped a table, landed back wheel first on the gas, soon as front wheel hit it literally swallowed my front wheel... lights out.. I had no memory of the entire morning, "how did I get here", "what happened". I was 21 years old and should have went to the hospital.. looking back 11 years ago now its pretty sad nobody even tried to make me go to the hospital..
mjr119
9/22/2016 5:57am
That's some scary stuff. And yeah I can't believe they let you line up again! I've definitely had one or two incidents like that where I don't remember riding off of the track. Luckily I'm pretty sure I didn't race again right after that.

Glad you are okay!

The Shop

9/22/2016 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2016 12:26pm
"WTF track is this!" Very interesting. Thanks for documenting / posting. Strange how the brain works after impact. I had a similar crash, didn't race again (last lap of practice.) But, I remember that I didn't know which way to go to exit the track. Then, I couldn't find my truck. Very strange feeling.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/22/2016 12:54pm
I'm pretty sure that was Zach Osborne's mechanic, Dave Feeney, that was quizzing you while you were on the ground.
3rdgearpinned
9/22/2016 1:11pm
thats scary. The Hardest Ive ever hit my head was snow boarding. I didnt go out but it was close. Glad you are ok now.
Tracktor
9/22/2016 1:24pm
You are knocked silly in our crew and I'll disable your bike if you try to ride again. Riding impaired is a hazard to yourself and others. I am as guilty as the next when I was younger but after having kids and doing learning about TBI's I know better...........Glad you ended up ok........
peelout
9/22/2016 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2016 1:26pm
i wrecked on my head so hard in a race one time that i was unconscious for about 10 minutes and not breathing for about a minute. i regained consciousness in the ambulance. supposedly i was there most of the day and when they released me my dad took me back to the track because that's where all our stuff was. i started to get dressed thinking i was racing and they stopped me.

i don't remember anything from then up until a little over a month later. i have pictures from over 3 weeks later of my black and blue face with a bunch of girls from school and i have zero recollection of it.

scary shit.
hvaughn88
9/22/2016 1:27pm
peelout wrote:
i wrecked on my head so hard in a race one time that i was unconscious for about 10 minutes and not breathing for about a...
i wrecked on my head so hard in a race one time that i was unconscious for about 10 minutes and not breathing for about a minute. i regained consciousness in the ambulance. supposedly i was there most of the day and when they released me my dad took me back to the track because that's where all our stuff was. i started to get dressed thinking i was racing and they stopped me.

i don't remember anything from then up until a little over a month later. i have pictures from over 3 weeks later of my black and blue face with a bunch of girls from school and i have zero recollection of it.

scary shit.
a little off topic, but what's the scoop on the Leatt helmet you posted on here? Like it, dislike it?
peelout
9/22/2016 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2016 2:45pm
peelout wrote:
i wrecked on my head so hard in a race one time that i was unconscious for about 10 minutes and not breathing for about a...

scary shit.
hvaughn88 wrote:
a little off topic, but what's the scoop on the Leatt helmet you posted on here? Like it, dislike it?
only worn it twice. my takes:

pros
-super small and super light, seriuosly my Shoei feels like it's filled with rocks compared. i can hardly tell i'm wearing a helmet with the Leatt on
-got it for super cheap, helmets are expensive AF
-very comfortable
-easily removable liner
-venting is amazing, usually i'll take my helmet off and my head is soaked, wasn't even damp after a long ride
-haven't wrecked in it yet, but i like the idea of the Mips system even if it is a little different than actual Mips

cons
-chin bar close to mouth and my chin sticks out the bottom, hoping i still have a chin if i take a face-first
-visor doesn't come down much at all, for offroad this is a bad thing
-snug fit yet roomy, if that makes sense
-super loud, wear ear-plugs
-venting is too good... on a lower temp ride i would strongly recommend a head-sock
-strap closure feels like it's never secured, feels like it slips a slight bit after tightening it
-hate the visor screws, it's hard to explain but they're really awkward to remove/install. you basically have to use the end of your thumb to turn them in, tools don't do the trick. this comes into play with the visor not coming down enough as well, i will adjust my visor while moving, can't with this one

i think they are on the right track and the new ones may be even better. mine is last years model and for the price i paid, it's tough to beat. they definitely have some things to work out
hvaughn88
9/22/2016 2:50pm
peelout wrote:

scary shit.
hvaughn88 wrote:
peelout wrote:
only worn it twice. my takes: pros -super small and super light, seriuosly my Shoei feels like it's filled with rocks compared. i can hardly tell...
only worn it twice. my takes:

pros
-super small and super light, seriuosly my Shoei feels like it's filled with rocks compared. i can hardly tell i'm wearing a helmet with the Leatt on
-got it for super cheap, helmets are expensive AF
-very comfortable
-easily removable liner
-venting is amazing, usually i'll take my helmet off and my head is soaked, wasn't even damp after a long ride
-haven't wrecked in it yet, but i like the idea of the Mips system even if it is a little different than actual Mips

cons
-chin bar close to mouth and my chin sticks out the bottom, hoping i still have a chin if i take a face-first
-visor doesn't come down much at all, for offroad this is a bad thing
-snug fit yet roomy, if that makes sense
-super loud, wear ear-plugs
-venting is too good... on a lower temp ride i would strongly recommend a head-sock
-strap closure feels like it's never secured, feels like it slips a slight bit after tightening it
-hate the visor screws, it's hard to explain but they're really awkward to remove/install. you basically have to use the end of your thumb to turn them in, tools don't do the trick. this comes into play with the visor not coming down enough as well, i will adjust my visor while moving, can't with this one

i think they are on the right track and the new ones may be even better. mine is last years model and for the price i paid, it's tough to beat. they definitely have some things to work out
Awesome insight! Thanks for the review!

Post a reply to: Real time POV concussion test GoPro style

The Latest