Real supercross discussion

jambalaya
Edited Date/Time 3/21/2021 7:29pm
Im not intending to talk shit here or be inflammatory. Keep your biases out.

What does Honda need to be telling Ken right now?

I may have this wrong but I truly feel Ken is the best supercross rider in the world and that being said Webb owns him.

Kehoe needs to sit him down and tell him straight up: this is not the bike. Stop worrying about the title. Ride the best you can. Stop worrying about the title or the points. Just do your thing and ride. Don’t be protective. Just ride your hardest like it’s a practice day.
|
fanger
3/20/2021 10:44pm
The last few races would suggest Webb is the best supercross racer in the world lol.
gjbruny
3/20/2021 11:21pm
Lets not forget Ken has injuries that should have ended his career and probably would have for anyone else. Nerve damage is devastating. Kenny has never been quite the same. Remember some of the best docs in the world said he may never hold a fork again yet here he is at the upper end of the sport. Had these injuries not happened, i truly think he would be a multi SX champ. Life is a bitch sometimes..... or is it. Sill a national champ, MX2 champ, and west coast champ, has had arguably one of the better comeback stories in all of athletics, and can comfortably retire before he is 30 . I think he is doing everything he can do. Jmo
bowl
3/21/2021 12:19am
It's not the bike ,webb is fitter / better endurance and can run more perfectly laps then kenny.
3/21/2021 12:52am
Ken doesn’t have the fire that Webb has.
Would Webb run ken high to make a pass? Yes.
Would ken run Webb high? Most likely not, his too nice, he won’t force the issue with Webb. Everyone who watches the races can tell who wants this championship.

The Shop

SilverSpurs
3/21/2021 12:53am
Ken needs to up his testosterone.

Chewing on a bull's testicles pre event was recommended by Maximus from the Coliseum.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
3/21/2021 1:36am
How go you know that Kehoe hasn't already sat him down and suggested all of what you think might work?
Kens problem is Webb is stronger mentally, physically and will do what it takes to win the title.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/21/2021 1:53am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2021 1:57am
Both Ken and Webb rode near to perfect but Webb was consistantly better in the sand section...that was the difference.

How Ken and Kehoe debrief is up to them but it is plain to see where Webb made up time.

I'm a KR fan and would like to see him win the Championship but humble enough to give Webb the credit for his results.

3/21/2021 2:26am
gjbruny wrote:
Lets not forget Ken has injuries that should have ended his career and probably would have for anyone else. Nerve damage is devastating. Kenny has never...
Lets not forget Ken has injuries that should have ended his career and probably would have for anyone else. Nerve damage is devastating. Kenny has never been quite the same. Remember some of the best docs in the world said he may never hold a fork again yet here he is at the upper end of the sport. Had these injuries not happened, i truly think he would be a multi SX champ. Life is a bitch sometimes..... or is it. Sill a national champ, MX2 champ, and west coast champ, has had arguably one of the better comeback stories in all of athletics, and can comfortably retire before he is 30 . I think he is doing everything he can do. Jmo
Or we could get over it like Kenny has said multiple times. He doesn't sit there and make excuses because of his injury. We shouldnt either.

If kenny didn't believe he could return to the sport to his potential he would of retired by now.
Alan Dove
3/21/2021 2:44am
A tenth here and a tenth there is not something you can tell a rider to fix with some motivational speech generally speaking. Ken is finishing consistently on the podium and was close to victory yesterday, so if he has problems what about everyone else finishing behind him?

Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/21/2021 2:46am
Check the laptimes out....nothing wrong with Ken's health/fitness or bike. All these guys are riding so damn near perfect. Tiny mistakes throughout the race are what makes the difference. Webb obviously made the least mistakes.

Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/21/2021 3:02am
Alan Dove wrote:
A tenth here and a tenth there is not something you can tell a rider to fix with some motivational speech generally speaking. Ken is finishing...
A tenth here and a tenth there is not something you can tell a rider to fix with some motivational speech generally speaking. Ken is finishing consistently on the podium and was close to victory yesterday, so if he has problems what about everyone else finishing behind him?

Your profile pic suggests you race shifter karts therefor you would understand how valuable a tenth here or there is.

People keep harping on about Roczen's past injuries which equates to flogging a dead horse.

Roczen is simply frustrated....the Nett result of losing a tenth here and there. 5 or 6 rounds left, its not over.
Kasims
Fantasy
3964th
3/21/2021 3:24am
bowl wrote:
It's not the bike ,webb is fitter / better endurance and can run more perfectly laps then kenny.
And then summer came... 😀😀😀
3/21/2021 3:41am
Boomslang wrote:
Check the laptimes out....nothing wrong with Ken's health/fitness or bike. All these guys are riding so damn near perfect. Tiny mistakes throughout the race are what...
Check the laptimes out....nothing wrong with Ken's health/fitness or bike. All these guys are riding so damn near perfect. Tiny mistakes throughout the race are what makes the difference. Webb obviously made the least mistakes.

That's bloody amazing being 1 sec slower on last lap on a chewed up track.
philG
3/21/2021 3:56am
All those top 4 guys were on another level.

When its that tight , the advantage is always with the chasing rider.

Kenny came back at the end, as has been said , Kenny didnt get the sand , his wide line in the turn before screwed him, Webb, as always, has the upper hand with line choice at the end of a race.

if Webb gates outside the top 5 , he doesnt win. , same for Tomac.

Great Race, Kehoe will be telling Kenny, its still all to play for. .

The key to that race for me was Sexton, if he hadnt gone down, he would have been a factor.
Sully
3/21/2021 4:12am
fanger wrote:
The last few races would suggest Webb is the best supercross racer in the world lol.
I’m a Kenny fan, but this is a hard point to argue.
ATKpilot99
3/21/2021 4:33am
Roczen is going faster than he ever has . The problem is so is everyone else. Ken has never been a dominant supercross rider even before his injury. His destruction of the 450 outdoor series and two victories to open the next sx season before his crash have created a myth that he was in my opinion.
downard254
3/21/2021 4:55am
Not to switch the focus of the subject from Roczen to Tomac, but if you’d have told me at the start of the season that Tomac would be down 41 point at round 12, I’d probably have slapped the tobacco outta your cheek and called you a damn liar. I’d be more interested to hear what Kawi brass is saying to Eli. Not that I really care, I’d just be more interested to hear that than what they are saying to Kenny. In the grand scheme of things, it’s non of my business, so there’s that.
ATKpilot99
3/21/2021 5:02am
downard254 wrote:
Not to switch the focus of the subject from Roczen to Tomac, but if you’d have told me at the start of the season that Tomac...
Not to switch the focus of the subject from Roczen to Tomac, but if you’d have told me at the start of the season that Tomac would be down 41 point at round 12, I’d probably have slapped the tobacco outta your cheek and called you a damn liar. I’d be more interested to hear what Kawi brass is saying to Eli. Not that I really care, I’d just be more interested to hear that than what they are saying to Kenny. In the grand scheme of things, it’s non of my business, so there’s that.
He's already brought them three outdoor titles and one in SX so they've got their ROI from him , but point taken .
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/21/2021 5:04am
downard254 wrote:
Not to switch the focus of the subject from Roczen to Tomac, but if you’d have told me at the start of the season that Tomac...
ATKpilot99 wrote:
He's already brought them three outdoor titles and one in SX so they've got their ROI from him , but point taken .
....and he still has the outdoors to "try" and redeem himself.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
3/21/2021 5:04am
bowl wrote:
This plus Webb is a mental giant.
CPR
3/21/2021 5:08am
Boomslang wrote:
Both Ken and Webb rode near to perfect but Webb was consistantly better in the sand section...that was the difference. How Ken and Kehoe debrief is...
Both Ken and Webb rode near to perfect but Webb was consistantly better in the sand section...that was the difference.

How Ken and Kehoe debrief is up to them but it is plain to see where Webb made up time.

I'm a KR fan and would like to see him win the Championship but humble enough to give Webb the credit for his results.

Don’t come talking fact and reason around here!
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
3/21/2021 5:27am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2021 6:03am
My observation over the past 2-3 years.

Roczen has great sprint speed, but his endurance is not on the level of Webb or Tomac. It's not way off, but I do think there is a difference. I don't want to group Kenny alone in this, because AC seems to be the same way, and they are still better than probably 95% of the field. That said, they will get good starts, put in heaters, and still somehow get caught by Webb or Tomac around the 14-15 minute mark.

D_L118
3/21/2021 5:30am
Like many have said in here, Webb is just mentally stronger and just a better racer at the moment. Looking back to Daytona, that was where Ken should have passed Webb. In my opinion that’s where Webb really caught steam.
deluxeman
3/21/2021 6:32am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2021 7:17am
Why do people keep saying that Ken is the better rider when he keeps getting beaten? He can be fast, he is smooth. But doesn’t better mean winning?

Alan Dove
3/21/2021 6:44am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2021 6:45am
Boomslang wrote:
Your profile pic suggests you race shifter karts therefor you would understand how valuable a tenth here or there is. People keep harping on about Roczen's...
Your profile pic suggests you race shifter karts therefor you would understand how valuable a tenth here or there is.

People keep harping on about Roczen's past injuries which equates to flogging a dead horse.

Roczen is simply frustrated....the Nett result of losing a tenth here and there. 5 or 6 rounds left, its not over.
Not a shifter, it's a 1989 100cc direct drive kart (20k rpm . No clutch eitherSmile ). In karts a tenth here or tenth there is a magnitude higher in consequence than in SX. The gaps between riders in SX are in the seconds from 1st to mid grid. That means if you're looking for tenths... you're really really really good and doing a lot of things correctly.

So the difference is a click here and click there on the suspension. A kph here or there on entry speed. He is riding at an extremely high level and thus has a level of psychological strength 99.99 of the field hasn't got. So they are getting almost everything right.

What they are getting wrong is not something, in my view, a 'word with Ken' would fix. It's just plain old hard graft and analysis that'll find you those last few tenths. Not everything is a movie where the coach walks in and give s motivational speech and all is fixed. Winning is often a result of a lot of boring dull activity.
dcg141
3/21/2021 7:37am
Not sure any of us truly understand racing at that level and what it takes to get that 10th here or there. The top 4 guys now have separated from the rest of the pack for sure. Once there it just seems to move out of the normal things that separates riders. And it’s supercross. Webb is one misplaced lapper or tuffblock away from handing back some points. I thought early and mid race it was going to be Eli’s race then that one mistake. Those 4 are pushing next level and leaving everything on the track. I’m in awe of all of them.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
3/21/2021 8:45am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2021 8:48am
Boomslang wrote:
Check the laptimes out....nothing wrong with Ken's health/fitness or bike. All these guys are riding so damn near perfect. Tiny mistakes throughout the race are what...

I’ll be honest, the only thing that shows me is that the tracks have become too easy.

There is nothing you can tell Ken right now, he has to gain that last bit of confidence on his own. You can’t talk someone into being confident, they have to do it themselves.

Webb is very head strong, confident, and has great race craft, you’re going to have to deal with that the rest of your career.
TeamGreen
3/21/2021 8:56am
Boomslang wrote:

This...& KR needs to have an “answer” for when Cooper comes calling late in the Main. That’s all there is to it.

I’m not taking about anything other than finding just a little bit “more” to wick the lap time up a bit & simply....

Out run him to the checkers.
tickleme20
3/21/2021 9:07am
He needs to find his inner Cooper Webb. Stop focusing on the bullshit and focus on WINNING, and only WINNING, as if he has a damn knife to his back. Tunnel vision. Don't think about the bike, don't think about Webb, don't think about how you'll word your podium speech. WIN.

I know it sounds oversimplified, but damn, blocking out the crap and focusing on what matters seems to be Webb's obvious - and enormous- advantage on Kenny.

Post a reply to: Real supercross discussion

The Latest