Real motocross...you be the judge

Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 6:51pm
Turpin was riding the wheels off that KX 80 back then!
Nighttrain wrote:
For sure, Turpin kept the 80 pinned. Barry Higgins on a Maico 490 was fun to watch, too.
I met Keith turpin at a Florida winter-AMA we parked next to each other, a really nice kid, he just signed with Suzuki, he was with his dad, but I remember reading in cycle news he had gotten ill
OldPro277
2/9/2018 6:52pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
I don't think he's a doosh old pro, the point of the post is "real motocross" and I believe it is, we didnt groom tracks or...
I don't think he's a doosh old pro, the point of the post is "real motocross" and I believe it is, we didnt groom tracks or have watering systems, dealt with dust, rough tracks, and in our old school ignorance we didnt know better, so is it pure? Yes
I'm sure he is a good egg,and was probably just trying to get us "old" guys worked up, but when he started disrespecting the champs of the 70's and 80's by questioning their skill and determination levels ,it was obviously spoken by someone who wasn't there. That's the part that bugged me. By the way Tony, do you do Mid-Ohio and/or Unadilla Rewind?
2/9/2018 6:55pm
Yes congrats to them I respect them like i said i love watching this era pure awesomeness.
Have we not evolved in mx at all?
Uncle Tony wrote:
Richard I started racing in 1972, I’ve seen all the the changes, I still race to this day, it’s not nostalgia, the best will always be...
Richard I started racing in 1972, I’ve seen all the the changes, I still race to this day, it’s not nostalgia, the best will always be the best no matter what era, is it easier now? Yes bikes have advanced amazingly, tracks have changed just to become jump fests, 4 strokes have made it easier, in the 90’s no one wanted to ride 500’s because they were hard to ride and set up and they disappeared, but that doesn’t change anything great riders will always be great
And to us old guys, the video bobbyM posted is real motocross, natural, difficult and pure, very different than we have today
OldPro277 wrote:
Tony, I started in 74, turned pro in 77 and spent 3 years chasing Hannah,Tony D, Weinert ,Sun etc,just trying to figure out how they went...
Tony, I started in 74, turned pro in 77 and spent 3 years chasing Hannah,Tony D, Weinert ,Sun etc,just trying to figure out how they went so fast,and............I never did,lol . I left the Nationals and went back to being a local Pro.
Richard stated earlier he was 45, so he would have been born in 1973, so there is no way he was able to watch the late 70's heavyweights and being able to comprehend their badassery at only 5 or 6 years old. That alone doesn't make him a douche, but I learned a long time ago,that I shouldn't talk with authority about things that I haven't experienced myself.
Tony & Old Pro
I never said they (where talking mid 80’s) were slow and not skilled. I said in the video they are slower and less skilled. Now evolution yes i truly believe that today they are more skilled and faster due to technology.
I had the privilege of watching the late great Marty Moats and other top riders from Oz in the mid 80’s a lot so I remember this era quite well
Now someone posted an amazing video on Carlsbad 85 pretty much stating it takes skill balls etc to ride it. Pump the brakes here if i remember correctly 80cc bikes rode there as well.
Oh and Old Pro i’ll tell you this thank god for spell checker
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 6:56pm
OldPro277 wrote:
I'm sure he is a good egg,and was probably just trying to get us "old" guys worked up, but when he started disrespecting the champs of...
I'm sure he is a good egg,and was probably just trying to get us "old" guys worked up, but when he started disrespecting the champs of the 70's and 80's by questioning their skill and determination levels ,it was obviously spoken by someone who wasn't there. That's the part that bugged me. By the way Tony, do you do Mid-Ohio and/or Unadilla Rewind?
No I dont, I do an occasional ACR race but I race NESC

The Shop

Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 7:03pm
Old pro did you race district 6 back in the 80's? I did Englishtown and new Egypt
OldPro277
2/9/2018 7:03pm
Tony & Old Pro I never said they (where talking mid 80’s) were slow and not skilled. I said in the video they are slower and...
Tony & Old Pro
I never said they (where talking mid 80’s) were slow and not skilled. I said in the video they are slower and less skilled. Now evolution yes i truly believe that today they are more skilled and faster due to technology.
I had the privilege of watching the late great Marty Moats and other top riders from Oz in the mid 80’s a lot so I remember this era quite well
Now someone posted an amazing video on Carlsbad 85 pretty much stating it takes skill balls etc to ride it. Pump the brakes here if i remember correctly 80cc bikes rode there as well.
Yes Richard, we must use the technology that is available to us,lol. Makes today's life much easier, even concerning our current dirt scooters. Yes, Marty was one of a kind, great you were able to watch him in person.
OldPro277
2/9/2018 7:12pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Old pro did you race district 6 back in the 80's? I did Englishtown and new Egypt
I was a District 5 guy. (western Pa).From 74-81. Raced with Mark Garrison, Marty Potoczny,Lynn Kirkland, Jon Epstein, Keith Schultz,Gary Pustelak, if you remember any of those names. We raced High Point,Mid Ohio, Lake Sugartreee , Appalachian Lake,.
We raced the AMA WInter-AMs a couple of years---great fun !! I remember one year "The Flyin Freckle" was still on mini's and was pullin lap times close to the 125 Pro's,it was obvious he was going to be a special one.
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2018 7:17pm
I remember pustelak, he was a regular at Englishtown, and mike farmer
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
2/9/2018 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2018 7:20pm
Tony & Old Pro I never said they (where talking mid 80’s) were slow and not skilled. I said in the video they are slower and...
Tony & Old Pro
You said it in the second post

“... lot slower with less skill”

Blink
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 7:19pm
Mickey Kessler always put it to them
Dropbear
2/9/2018 7:21pm
It's evolution, baby!
Phantom 661
2/9/2018 7:24pm
Hannah less skilled than today's riders? I think not.
That dude dropped my jaw in 1978 when I saw him take his stock YZ at the Coliseum and start pogo double jumping the tight large singles that everyone else was rolling....without any run at all.
Total badass trendsetting moment that was.
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 7:25pm
Dropbear wrote:
It's evolution, baby!
Maybe? But in the 70's a d 80's if you did a sick whip in last place you were a goon, that was reserved for the guy in first
OldPro277
2/9/2018 7:27pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Pustelak was a complete beast. I've told this story before ,and my youngun's don't believe it, but its 100% true.. Gary would race all 3 "A" classes 125,250,500 on Sunday. Now this was back when we ran 25 min motos at High Point, and would regularly have 40 man gates in those A classes( sometimes even had to run qualifiers to cut it to 40). He was the only dude that raced all three classes and he would be doing push ups behind the gate while his mechanic held his bike before every moto..Really put a psyche job on everybody,lol. He'd regularly podium all three classes too.
BobbyM
2/9/2018 7:28pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Mickey Kessler always put it to them
Me and Kessler damn near holeshot 1st 500 moto at hipoint 79, from the outside which was damn near impossible. I put my Maico into 3rd or 4th by the halfway point. Even passed the SHU to do it. Sheared sprocket bolts with about 12 minutes to go... DNF. 2nd. Moto was running about 11th right around semics and my subframe snapped. Tried to finish but pussed out with no seat. Kessler was bad ass. We stayed with Gary Shipley, you might remember him.
BobbyM
2/9/2018 7:31pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Remember John finkleday? Fucking beast.
Uncle Tony
I knew this! He was an animal, nobody could beat Kessler at Englishtown tho, he was tough tho
Uncle Tony
Uncle Tony wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
Remember John finkleday? Fucking beast.
I'm friends with john
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 7:34pm
His son Tyler is on a charge! Good kid
OldPro277
2/9/2018 7:36pm
BobbyM wrote:
Me and Kessler damn near holeshot 1st 500 moto at hipoint 79, from the outside which was damn near impossible. I put my Maico into 3rd...
Me and Kessler damn near holeshot 1st 500 moto at hipoint 79, from the outside which was damn near impossible. I put my Maico into 3rd or 4th by the halfway point. Even passed the SHU to do it. Sheared sprocket bolts with about 12 minutes to go... DNF. 2nd. Moto was running about 11th right around semics and my subframe snapped. Tried to finish but pussed out with no seat. Kessler was bad ass. We stayed with Gary Shipley, you might remember him.
Any gate right of the box was a ridiculously tough place to get any decent start. Pulling a holie from the outside would be considered superhuman !! Was Shipley from Indiana Pa ?
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 7:39pm
Shipley? I remember him , southern guy yes I raced against him
BobbyM
2/9/2018 7:43pm
BobbyM wrote:
Me and Kessler damn near holeshot 1st 500 moto at hipoint 79, from the outside which was damn near impossible. I put my Maico into 3rd...
OldPro277 wrote:
Any gate right of the box was a ridiculously tough place to get any decent start. Pulling a holie from the outside would be considered superhuman...
Any gate right of the box was a ridiculously tough place to get any decent start. Pulling a holie from the outside would be considered superhuman !! Was Shipley from Indiana Pa ?
I thought he was from Washington PA?
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 7:46pm
They had a bounty on Kessler at Englishtown,he won something like 100 straight motos
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 7:49pm
Wait senior monent, Scottie Shipley
OldPro277
2/9/2018 7:49pm
BobbyM wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
Any gate right of the box was a ridiculously tough place to get any decent start. Pulling a holie from the outside would be considered superhuman...
BobbyM wrote:
He could have been. There's a Gary Shipley from the Indiana area that raced back in the day,got hurt and is in a chair now. He has a young son racing mini's now ,so maybe he's too young to be that Shipley
BobbyM
2/9/2018 8:10pm
OldPro277 wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
He could have been. There's a Gary Shipley from the Indiana area that raced back in the day,got hurt and is in a chair now. He...
He could have been. There's a Gary Shipley from the Indiana area that raced back in the day,got hurt and is in a chair now. He has a young son racing mini's now ,so maybe he's too young to be that Shipley
Cool dude Rode maicos too
Ted722
2/9/2018 8:32pm
I like this thread. Thanks BobbyM and the participants/contributors of yesteryear! Woohoo
plowboy
2/9/2018 8:33pm
Not saying today's riders are babies but I doubt many would want to ride two 40 minute motos at a Kansas national in 110 degree July heat with absolutely zero track prep/maintenance or watering. Just saying.
andymoto
2/9/2018 9:48pm
Third NorCal Open Nat'l Amigo BM.

Carnegie when DeCoster's steering head snapped like a twig '75. Happened more than once.

The Man going slow up the steep Sears Point hill.

JB 19
2/9/2018 9:53pm
These guys that have lost 5 straight Des Nations are WAY better than Bailey, Johnson, Ward, Oshow, McGrath, Carmichael.....yada yada....suuuure......

Post a reply to: Real motocross...you be the judge

The Latest