Real motocross...you be the judge

OldPro277
2/9/2018 11:02am
Huckster wrote:
Unadilla is a freeway today compared to what it was back in the day of that race. The greats will always be the greats and they...
Unadilla is a freeway today compared to what it was back in the day of that race. The greats will always be the greats and they transcend era's. Hannah would be a stud in 2018 as would Mickey Mantle if he were playing now.
EXACTLY !!!!!!
2/9/2018 11:28am
ledger wrote:
I never heard of Billy Liles until a night race in Tullahoma, TN in 1980 or 81, that dude was incredibly fast, if memory is right...
I never heard of Billy Liles until a night race in Tullahoma, TN in 1980 or 81, that dude was incredibly fast, if memory is right, he was on Kawasaki. Damn I'm old.
Nighttrain wrote:
Yep. Liles and a younger kid from Georgia, Keith Turpin, were on Team Green around that time.
Turpin was riding the wheels off that KX 80 back then!
2/9/2018 1:06pm
Mr. G wrote:
It's not either or. Riding technique evolves but technology evolves faster. Remember when James was on a 2 stroke and RC was on a 4 stroke...
It's not either or. Riding technique evolves but technology evolves faster. Remember when James was on a 2 stroke and RC was on a 4 stroke? And then when they were both on 4 strokes?
Yes and greater skill is needed these days to ride the bikes at the elite level. These bikes today are way faster breaking is more brutal and acceleration is far more intense riders are experiencing far more forces on the body.
Evolution!
OldPro277
2/9/2018 1:21pm
Evidently you are under the age of 30 and never witnessed anything other than current guys on modern bikes. You are what we call "a lost cause" in my biz. And your home-schooling failed as well-----its "braking"

The Shop

2/9/2018 1:29pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Evidently you are under the age of 30 and never witnessed anything other than current guys on modern bikes. You are what we call "a lost...
Evidently you are under the age of 30 and never witnessed anything other than current guys on modern bikes. You are what we call "a lost cause" in my biz. And your home-schooling failed as well-----its "braking"
Actually I’m 45 so i have been there in the mid 80’s raced pro in the early to mid 90’s. I don’t care about punctuation or grammar as I’m on a motocross forum. Attacking someone’s grammar skills on an mx forum is a sign of running out of constructive relative criticism.
Yes the riders were awesome in the mid 80’s lets stay relative to the OP my whole argument is things were slower and less skilled back then.
You ever wonder why vintage racing is so popular with the old crowd (my / your era) thats because the speeds and dangers are far less and the effort required to ride and old bike compared to a new bike is a lot less.
SCR
2/9/2018 1:31pm
125 beginers are going faster and jumping bigger today then a 1978 125 beginner did.
It's not because of more talent, training, balls or whatever.
Same applies to National riders.
If you weren't around to participate or view first hand the 70s,80s. Then you only have a reference for one side of this debate.

OldPro277
2/9/2018 1:46pm
Comparing us old guys riding amateur Vintage to what Hannah ,DeCoster ,Mikkola etc did back then, just shows your idiotic frame of mind and proves my point that you are a lost cause.

Hmmm,your statement that it took LESS effort to ride a 70's bike is really another great example of you not having any idea what you're talking about.

Also, anytime you post on a public forum, at least you should care about proper spelling. But, that's just me.
Flip109
2/9/2018 2:04pm
In my opinion it took a lot more talent to keep an old two stroke on the pipe in the corners, and navigate them smoothly. Esp deep ass ruts.
BobbyM
2/9/2018 2:05pm
Mr. G wrote:
It's not either or. Riding technique evolves but technology evolves faster. Remember when James was on a 2 stroke and RC was on a 4 stroke...
It's not either or. Riding technique evolves but technology evolves faster. Remember when James was on a 2 stroke and RC was on a 4 stroke? And then when they were both on 4 strokes?
Yes and greater skill is needed these days to ride the bikes at the elite level. These bikes today are way faster breaking is more brutal...
Yes and greater skill is needed these days to ride the bikes at the elite level. These bikes today are way faster breaking is more brutal and acceleration is far more intense riders are experiencing far more forces on the body.
Evolution!
Bullshit.
Robgvx
2/9/2018 3:39pm
Mr. G wrote:
Yes and greater skill is needed these days to ride the bikes at the elite level. These bikes today are way faster breaking is more brutal...
Evolution!
Rubbish. Today’s 450s are way easier and forgiving to ride. Ever ridden a 500?
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 3:47pm
Mr. G wrote:
Evolution!
Bullshit
2/9/2018 3:49pm
Mr. G wrote:
Evolution!
Robgvx wrote:
Rubbish. Today’s 450s are way easier and forgiving to ride. Ever ridden a 500?
Yes i have and it wasn’t hard at all. KX500
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 3:50pm
Richard you're talking to a bunch of old school 500 riders. No offense man but you don't have clue what's its like to ride a 500 two stroke
2/9/2018 3:52pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Comparing us old guys riding amateur Vintage to what Hannah ,DeCoster ,Mikkola etc did back then, just shows your idiotic frame of mind and proves my...
Comparing us old guys riding amateur Vintage to what Hannah ,DeCoster ,Mikkola etc did back then, just shows your idiotic frame of mind and proves my point that you are a lost cause.

Hmmm,your statement that it took LESS effort to ride a 70's bike is really another great example of you not having any idea what you're talking about.

Also, anytime you post on a public forum, at least you should care about proper spelling. But, that's just me.
I think its comma then space not space then comma.
Hope i’m not rubbing sand in your adult diapers.
70’s bikes are slow I wouldn’t waiste my time riding one hitting 35mph must be fun
Forty
2/9/2018 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2018 3:58pm
I’m saying BS
2/9/2018 4:03pm
Forty wrote:
I’m saying BS
No POS wouldn’t ride one again.
I’m a fan of evolution and moving forward. Clearly motocross hasn’t evolved according to this thread.
Letting nostalgia get in the way of reality is pure nonsense.
jonesaustin
2/9/2018 4:19pm
Same as todays motocross but a lot slower with less skill
BobbyM wrote:
Sure thing scooter
andymoto wrote:
You're the best BobbyM. Cool
It looks blazing fast, and it is. The thing is "mph" isn't the measurement of motocross -- it's the graceful control of violence. By that measurement, these guys were gnarlier than anyone else and deserve huge respect.
BobbyM
2/9/2018 4:20pm
Forty wrote:
I’m saying BS
No POS wouldn’t ride one again. I’m a fan of evolution and moving forward. Clearly motocross hasn’t evolved according to this thread. Letting nostalgia get in...
No POS wouldn’t ride one again.
I’m a fan of evolution and moving forward. Clearly motocross hasn’t evolved according to this thread.
Letting nostalgia get in the way of reality is pure nonsense.
Yer not afraid of showing yer ignorance, I'll give you that
andymoto
2/9/2018 4:38pm
Another Richard Crainium again.....

FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
2/9/2018 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2018 5:04pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Richard you're talking to a bunch of old school 500 riders. No offense man but you don't have clue what's its like to ride a 500...
Richard you're talking to a bunch of old school 500 riders. No offense man but you don't have clue what's its like to ride a 500 two stroke
Yep.
A couple are old school pros.
One even raced a Maico 500 in the GP's and has gotten 500/open class podiums in the GP's(World Championships) and also in CMC Golden State Nationals(a very stacked series at the time) back in the day. Same guy was also a Factory Kawasaki rider for a while and won some International pro events too.
pelted
2/9/2018 5:03pm
Hannah pioneered downhills, waterfalls, verts, and sidehills at Bean and Jawbone Canyons that, just by watching, would cause any man to go pale and get the shakes. I watched him come down a rock face the size of an eight-story building in an impossible line that didn't exist, and then a few minutes later ride up it.

No balls or skill? Ha.

Anyone who believes Hannah lacked balls or skill has a rock for a brain.
2/9/2018 5:26pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Richard you're talking to a bunch of old school 500 riders. No offense man but you don't have clue what's its like to ride a 500...
FastEddy wrote:
Yep. A couple are old school pros. One even raced a Maico 500 in the GP's and has gotten 500/open class podiums in the GP's(World Championships)...
Yep.
One even raced a Maico 500 in the GP's and has gotten 500/open class podiums in the GP's(World Championships) and also in CMC Golden State Nationals(a very stacked series at the time) back in the day. Same guy was also a Factory Kawasaki rider for a while and won some International pro events too.
Yes congrats to them I respect them like i said i love watching this era pure awesomeness.
Have we not evolved in mx at all?
OldPro277
2/9/2018 5:27pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Comparing us old guys riding amateur Vintage to what Hannah ,DeCoster ,Mikkola etc did back then, just shows your idiotic frame of mind and proves my...

I think its comma then space not space then comma. Hope i’m not rubbing sand in your adult diapers. 70’s bikes are slow I wouldn’t waiste...
I think its comma then space not space then comma.
Hope i’m not rubbing sand in your adult diapers.
70’s bikes are slow I wouldn’t waiste my time riding one hitting 35mph must be fun
"waiste"----beautiful. lmfao. Well "Dick" it appears you are vastly outnumbered here and I suggest you go find another thread to spread your charm,because you've become a lapper on this one Laughing
early
Fantasy
2212th
2/9/2018 5:27pm

No talent, skill, balls, or fitness needed here...Whistling
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
2/9/2018 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2018 5:59pm
Yes congrats to them I respect them like i said i love watching this era pure awesomeness.
IMO We have evolved in a overall sense - that's a no-brainier.
The equipment has gotten better and so has the mechanics of the sport in general.
MX is a mechanical sport before anything - with that said the mechanics need to evolve so everything else can evolve with it...motors/power/suspension/tracks,etc..
Look at the tracks and whoops in SX how they've changed since the 2 stroke days - big difference.
With that said the riders will evolve to the standard of the times.
A Tomac vs Stanton argument - who would do better now is like comparing apples to oranges.
Same with a 1988 CR 500 vs a 2018 CRF450R ,those older bikes were brutal compared to the bikes of modern times,motors,suspension and components,seats,foot pegs....even tires,etc...

However,with training in this day age - the riders have indeed evolved physically.
So has the training & testing process...
These guys train & test a lot more then a lot of the old school guys did back in the day.
They also have far more stuff to use to their advantage ,data,computers etc....

Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2018 5:48pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
Yep. A couple are old school pros. One even raced a Maico 500 in the GP's and has gotten 500/open class podiums in the GP's(World Championships)...
Yep.
Richard I started racing in 1972, I’ve seen all the the changes, I still race to this day, it’s not nostalgia, the best will always be the best no matter what era, is it easier now? Yes bikes have advanced amazingly, tracks have changed just to become jump fests, 4 strokes have made it easier, in the 90’s no one wanted to ride 500’s because they were hard to ride and set up and they disappeared, but that doesn’t change anything great riders will always be great
And to us old guys, the video bobbyM posted is real motocross, natural, difficult and pure, very different than we have today
OldPro277
2/9/2018 6:24pm
FastEddy wrote:
Yep.
Uncle Tony wrote:
Richard I started racing in 1972, I’ve seen all the the changes, I still race to this day, it’s not nostalgia, the best will always be...
Richard I started racing in 1972, I’ve seen all the the changes, I still race to this day, it’s not nostalgia, the best will always be the best no matter what era, is it easier now? Yes bikes have advanced amazingly, tracks have changed just to become jump fests, 4 strokes have made it easier, in the 90’s no one wanted to ride 500’s because they were hard to ride and set up and they disappeared, but that doesn’t change anything great riders will always be great
And to us old guys, the video bobbyM posted is real motocross, natural, difficult and pure, very different than we have today
Tony, I started in 74, turned pro in 77 and spent 3 years chasing Hannah,Tony D, Weinert ,Sun etc,just trying to figure out how they went so fast,and............I never did,lol . I left the Nationals and went back to being a local Pro.
Richard stated earlier he was 45, so he would have been born in 1973, so there is no way he was able to watch the late 70's heavyweights and being able to comprehend their badassery at only 5 or 6 years old. That alone doesn't make him a douche, but I learned a long time ago,that I shouldn't talk with authority about things that I haven't experienced myself.
Nighttrain
2/9/2018 6:42pm
Turpin was riding the wheels off that KX 80 back then!
For sure, Turpin kept the 80 pinned. Barry Higgins on a Maico 490 was fun to watch, too.
Uncle Tony
2/9/2018 6:42pm
I don't think he's a doosh old pro, the point of the post is "real motocross" and I believe it is, we didnt groom tracks or have watering systems, dealt with dust, rough tracks, and in our old school ignorance we didnt know better, so is it pure? Yes

Post a reply to: Real motocross...you be the judge

The Latest