Real motocross...you be the judge

BobbyM
2/8/2018 8:49am
Donovan759 wrote:
I'm not an old guy, and I couldn't disagree more with you on this. Yes, training and dedication has increased with the RC4 & JS7 era...
I'm not an old guy, and I couldn't disagree more with you on this. Yes, training and dedication has increased with the RC4 & JS7 era. It had to.

Todays athletes have more dedication and physical fitness? Sure.
Skill, talent, balls? Nope.
OldPro277 wrote:
bball35--- Spoken like someone that has zero clue what went on back in the late 70's and 80's. These guys went 45 +2 with 9--10" travel...
bball35--- Spoken like someone that has zero clue what went on back in the late 70's and 80's. These guys went 45 +2 with 9--10" travel on tracks that weren't groomed to look like a postcard. The skill set of that era is no different than it is now. If Roger D, Hannah, Marty Smith were young today,they'd still be winning. Likewise if RV, RC and Dungey were racing back in that time ,they'd be winning too. Talking about mental preparation?? Have you ever tried staying 110% focused for an approx 50 min moto at Pro speeds---twice in a couple of hours ?? Cmon dude,this argument is silly. You just can't compare the Era's.

But.....if you really want to compare.....,todays racers have an entire entourage on the payroll ,nutritionists, fitness coaches, riding coaches, sports Psychologists, suspension gurus with the latest computerized technology, etc,etc.. Back then ,these guys had to do it all pretty much all of that on their own ,THATS determination and dedication.

I’d love to know which pro’s front the mid 80’s had to do all the above mentioned. Things were very simple in those days so less...
I’d love to know which pro’s front the mid 80’s had to do all the above mentioned. Things were very simple in those days so less skill was required. I’d love to see some photos of Hannah doing an engine change or his suspension etc or any of the pros for that era.
Yes “back in the day” riders and mechanics were talented but evolution and time has created greater talent / skills.
“Back in the day” it was known that Lechien didn’t train and could rock up with no sleep after partying and whack the field. There is no way you can do that these days so talent alone can’t help.
Today’s riders are more of the complete package
A 20 year old lechien would do the same today. One thing left out is the 4 stroke factor. Way easier to ride modern 4 stroke scooters faster with less effort, just like Windham said. It resurrected his career he claims.
BobPA
2/8/2018 9:24am
Amazing how much slower the tracks were back in the day. All the pros are bad asses, in both the present and past. But I do think some of the old guys need to relax on saying how much more in shape the 80's bros were. Training methods have change, a lot more "science" to it now. Carmichael changed the game for everyone, it has been said for years.

Hannah looked completely gassed to me at the end of that moto, look at his body language after he gets passed.
motomike137
2/8/2018 9:45am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 9:48am
BobPA wrote:
Amazing how much slower the tracks were back in the day. All the pros are bad asses, in both the present and past. But I do...
Amazing how much slower the tracks were back in the day. All the pros are bad asses, in both the present and past. But I do think some of the old guys need to relax on saying how much more in shape the 80's bros were. Training methods have change, a lot more "science" to it now. Carmichael changed the game for everyone, it has been said for years.

Hannah looked completely gassed to me at the end of that moto, look at his body language after he gets passed.
45 minute moto

Training has obviously become more scientific, but given that and the drive that guys like Hannah, O'Mara, Bailey, Glover had just imagine them with todays knowledge. The truth is that any of the greats would be great in any era.
Robgvx
2/8/2018 9:51am
BobPA wrote:
Amazing how much slower the tracks were back in the day. All the pros are bad asses, in both the present and past. But I do...

Training methods have changed. However from what I understand modern methods are all about training smarter, and more effectively, not necessarily harder.

The Shop

OldPro277
2/8/2018 9:53am
BobPA wrote:

45 minute moto Training has obviously become more scientific, but given that and the drive that guys like Hannah, O'Mara, Bailey, Glover had just imagine them...
45 minute moto

Training has obviously become more scientific, but given that and the drive that guys like Hannah, O'Mara, Bailey, Glover had just imagine them with todays knowledge. The truth is that any of the greats would be great in any era.
Correct Mike, actually 45 min +2.laps- Most motos ran 50 min plus total. And Bob, I don't recall anyone saying that the "old" guys were in better shape. Just saying that they would certainly be competitive today.. And being honest, as many times that I raced with and/or watched Hannah, I don't EVER remember seeing that boy "gassed". Other guys ,yes possibly, but the Hurricane was a beast.
motomike137
2/8/2018 10:17am
OldPro277 wrote:
Correct Mike, actually 45 min +2.laps- Most motos ran 50 min plus total. And Bob, I don't recall anyone saying that the "old" guys were in...
Correct Mike, actually 45 min +2.laps- Most motos ran 50 min plus total. And Bob, I don't recall anyone saying that the "old" guys were in better shape. Just saying that they would certainly be competitive today.. And being honest, as many times that I raced with and/or watched Hannah, I don't EVER remember seeing that boy "gassed". Other guys ,yes possibly, but the Hurricane was a beast.
I remember Bob talking about what lousy shape he was in his first year and that he set out to change it in a big way. And your right, from then on Bob was never "gassed".
BobPA
2/8/2018 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 4:04pm
BobPA wrote:

45 minute moto Training has obviously become more scientific, but given that and the drive that guys like Hannah, O'Mara, Bailey, Glover had just imagine them...
45 minute moto

OldPro277 wrote:
Correct Mike, actually 45 min +2.laps- Most motos ran 50 min plus total. And Bob, I don't recall anyone saying that the "old" guys were in...
He sure looked gases to me in that ‘Dilla video. The GNCC boys go 3 hours nearly full tilt.....that is a whole different animal.
BobbyM
2/8/2018 1:46pm
45 minute moto

OldPro277 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
He sure looked gases to me in that ‘Dilla video. The GNCC boys go 3 hours nearly full tilt.....that is a whole different animal.
Interview at the end right after the moto ended he looks gassed? Roll another one
BobbyM
2/8/2018 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 1:48pm
BobbyM wrote:
peelout wrote:
back when men were men and riding a scooter got you some good pooter
And you know this how? Hey Peely remember when you saw me at Vegas and shouted to me?
WhiteTaco
2/8/2018 2:11pm
Jeez, they’re hauling as much ass as possible on the shitty suspension of yesteryear. Just watch the rear end of those bike over bumps. Very busy.
peelout
2/8/2018 2:16pm
BobbyM wrote:
peelout wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
And you know this how? Hey Peely remember when you saw me at Vegas and shouted to me?
you know i do
jj welks
2/8/2018 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 2:28pm
That was a cool video I don't think the pros riding today have much choice on how rough the tracks are etc...they just ride what they are given just like Hannah and co did back in the day. I think back then the sport was more pure and today's racers are just a product of the sports "evolution" and all the hoopla that comes with bigger money/etc.
ledger
2/8/2018 3:15pm
I think Hannah was a bit wind'ed after the moto, just the mention of how Omara was in better shape and could pick better line's tell's the story. Lot of respect to Hannah, and how he tell's us that he like's to win....but, not that way. Our sport has changed so much, some for the better and some for the worse, and the cream will always rise to the top. That vid is my....go to vid when I need a little boost from a blah day, the only thing missing is the sweet smell of premix.
motomike137
2/8/2018 3:25pm
ledger wrote:
I think Hannah was a bit wind'ed after the moto, just the mention of how Omara was in better shape and could pick better line's tell's...
I think Hannah was a bit wind'ed after the moto, just the mention of how Omara was in better shape and could pick better line's tell's the story. Lot of respect to Hannah, and how he tell's us that he like's to win....but, not that way. Our sport has changed so much, some for the better and some for the worse, and the cream will always rise to the top. That vid is my....go to vid when I need a little boost from a blah day, the only thing missing is the sweet smell of premix.
This was in the twi light of Buckwheats career let's not forget .
ledger
2/8/2018 3:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 3:47pm
ledger wrote:
I think Hannah was a bit wind'ed after the moto, just the mention of how Omara was in better shape and could pick better line's tell's...
This was in the twi light of Buckwheats career let's not forget .
Lol, yup, you are correct.
Motoxdoc
2/8/2018 3:55pm
I can't believe this is still debated. Everyone knows motocross is fake. Long live the WWF! I know a girl named Hannah. Isn't Omara that lady that was fired from the white house and now she's on the big brother reality show?...huh.
GIwasB4
2/8/2018 4:05pm
peelout wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
peelout wrote:
you know i do
Peely: (look at that Pirate!) Hey, Johnny! Johnny Depp! Captain Jack!! Wait up. it's me Peely!

Myersdork: (turns about to face his accoster) ayyye Peely, it's me Bobby Spermbeard, Jack Sparrow has two legs ayyyee! Follow me to Hooter's, we'll talk about scooter's and pooter.

I'm just guessin'
elsinore
2/8/2018 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 5:14pm
I am wondering if ol bball took too many high and tight fast balls to the melon during his stick n ball days? Not sure what Dick's lack of historical context is the result of?

I do remember Roger DeCoster and the boys hauling fucking ass at Road Atlanta in the 70s. Magoo, Buckwheat and the gang hauled fucking ass at Road Atlanta and Gatorback in the 80s as well. Those were bad ass tracks, and the dudes that raced em were even badder!
BobbyM
2/8/2018 5:59pm
peelout wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
peelout wrote:
you know i do
Years ago bro
Nighttrain
2/8/2018 6:09pm
Love it, Bullet Billy Liles, in 2nd. Good video.
BobbyM
2/8/2018 6:11pm
BobbyM wrote:
peelout wrote:
you know i do
GIwasB4 wrote:
Peely: (look at that Pirate!) Hey, Johnny! Johnny Depp! Captain Jack!! Wait up. it's me Peely! Myersdork: (turns about to face his accoster) ayyye Peely, it's...
Peely: (look at that Pirate!) Hey, Johnny! Johnny Depp! Captain Jack!! Wait up. it's me Peely!

Myersdork: (turns about to face his accoster) ayyye Peely, it's me Bobby Spermbeard, Jack Sparrow has two legs ayyyee! Follow me to Hooter's, we'll talk about scooter's and pooter.

I'm just guessin'
Close geo
Huckster
2/8/2018 6:38pm
Unadilla is a freeway today compared to what it was back in the day of that race. The greats will always be the greats and they transcend era's. Hannah would be a stud in 2018 as would Mickey Mantle if he were playing now.
ledger
2/8/2018 7:23pm
Nighttrain wrote:
I never heard of Billy Liles until a night race in Tullahoma, TN in 1980 or 81, that dude was incredibly fast, if memory is right, he was on Kawasaki. Damn I'm old.
Nighttrain
2/8/2018 8:59pm
ledger wrote:
I never heard of Billy Liles until a night race in Tullahoma, TN in 1980 or 81, that dude was incredibly fast, if memory is right...
I never heard of Billy Liles until a night race in Tullahoma, TN in 1980 or 81, that dude was incredibly fast, if memory is right, he was on Kawasaki. Damn I'm old.
Yep. Liles and a younger kid from Georgia, Keith Turpin, were on Team Green around that time.
Mr. G
2/8/2018 9:11pm
It's not either or. Riding technique evolves but technology evolves faster. Remember when James was on a 2 stroke and RC was on a 4 stroke? And then when they were both on 4 strokes?

Post a reply to: Real motocross...you be the judge

The Latest