Radio comms approved for use in SX

10/3/2019 8:06am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2019 6:59pm
Over The Bars Podcast click here

From the OTB news desk:
Feld and the AMA have approved in helmet live systems for rider-to-team communication during races. There’s currently a Texas based comm company with a system ready for use at Monster Cup, where the new rule will take effect.

I do not have an official press release, I was told this by a rider racing MEC that has his system en route to his garage now for testing. He says the major benefit will be during timed qualifying, and in the event of a mid race crash for mechanics to be prepared upon rider entry into the pit lane.

Your thoughts?
|
Hudd_421
10/3/2019 8:13am
Hasn't radio comm been allowed in the outdoors for a while? Monster Cup isn't AMA I don't think, so it should be allowed already!

Matthes said a few teams tried it, but the bike noise was too loud to be effective. Would be interesting to see if any teams give it another go! "JOKER LANE NOW!!!"
10/3/2019 8:14am
I do recall someone trying radio communication at a previous Monster Cup. It was probably a few years ago at least.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
632nd
10/3/2019 8:15am
Soooo.... no more pit boards? That kinda sucks cause there is always some funny ones throughout the year, and have been some iconic ones over the years. I could see some safety benefits to this type of system though. I know I would love to have something like this for my son on practice days. I could yell at him to stand up more than once a lap. Grinning
kb228
10/3/2019 8:15am
I think its fine. I only see positives from this. Teams will figure out how to make it effective for each rider.

The Shop

10/3/2019 8:16am
I do recall someone trying radio communication at a previous Monster Cup. It was probably a few years ago at least.
Moto concepts i believe
ML512
Fantasy
36th
10/3/2019 8:17am
It was Mike Alessi. Radio coms have been legal at MEC and I can't think of anyone else who has tried it other than him.
philG
10/3/2019 8:21am
I thought FIM rules said no. Personally i wouldnt want it.
Hudd_421
10/3/2019 8:25am
philG wrote:
Monster Cup is not sanctioned. FIM can frig off
10/3/2019 8:26am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2019 8:28am
Even 1 way radio communication (from pit crew to rider) would be very useful. There could be a point where too much chatter on the comms will distract the rider, though.

I've tried 2 way comms before. On the street it works great. On my Alta it works fine in the dirt. On my gas bikes, the other rider has trouble hearing me. Wonder if there are any noise canceling options out there?
CivBars
10/3/2019 8:26am
Rider to team or team to rider or two way?
hillbilly
10/3/2019 8:27am
Breaker breaker Bob1 this is McCarty control

We need you to let Brock bye

Bob1 to McCarty fuck u
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/3/2019 8:30am
There should really just be a bar mounted light that is controlled by the race director that flashes when a Red Cross flag comes out. That's really all the communication needed.
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
10/3/2019 8:32am
Would be good for the fans if they were allowed to tune in like nascar.
Johnny Depp
10/3/2019 8:35am
hillbilly wrote:
Breaker breaker Bob1 this is McCarty control

We need you to let Brock bye

Bob1 to McCarty fuck u
Epic OMG!
Johnny Depp
10/3/2019 8:37am
All of the issues that are ripe for change, and this is what we get. FML. All these big changes like starting grates, wow these rule makers are really stepping out thereAngry
Casting
10/3/2019 8:37am
Not a fan.

Opens the door to teams giving riders cues about when a rider is setting them up for a pass, what lines to block, etc.

Question
10/3/2019 8:40am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2019 8:40am
If used properly, it can be a big improvement in case of a crash or KOed at a landing, i know that disasters don't happen often but it can happen... Often the riders don't slow down with yellow flags, so if it can save a few riders i am really ok for it. The second thing is when the bike has an issue, if the bike is blowing up a little radio communication can save the rider too ; it should become a rule that the team must inform the rider, nothing worse than a mechanical on a take off (i know again that it doesn't happen often, but it can happen).

The con's are obviously more potential strategies, but i don't think it will be a drastic change, and for those who miss the pitboard already i think it is also possible to make it like in F1, who often offer some public radio communications that we can hear live and are pretty cool add-ons to the show.

It is another topic, but still about the show, we should now have more live go pro cameras, maybe like 1 minute over the 20 minutes main (instead of the 3 times go pro lap when nobody is on the track...), a good way to make the tv sponsor happy (a better advertising for them) and the public more interested in watching these go pros.
stremme12
Fantasy
3648th
10/3/2019 8:46am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2019 9:20am
philG wrote:
How many PRO SX/MX races have you personally lined up to qualify for to have that opinion? The way these guys race/qualify is a completely different animal than just your local race. I highly doubt you are waiting for your pit board guy to tell you that 3-4-3 is doable in a rhythm section like these guys are doing.

Could you imagine hearing that stew is clearing the wall at Daytona mid race lol.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
10/3/2019 9:17am
I remember hearing Alessi said he hated it when he had it at monster cup
philG
10/3/2019 9:32am
philG wrote:
stremme12 wrote:
How many PRO SX/MX races have you personally lined up to qualify for to have that opinion? The way these guys race/qualify is a completely different...
How many PRO SX/MX races have you personally lined up to qualify for to have that opinion? The way these guys race/qualify is a completely different animal than just your local race. I highly doubt you are waiting for your pit board guy to tell you that 3-4-3 is doable in a rhythm section like these guys are doing.

Could you imagine hearing that stew is clearing the wall at Daytona mid race lol.
Enough.. i had an AMA Pro license. i race with timed qualifying all the time and have done for the last 15 years. I dont want someone crackling in my ear at the wrong moment. The idea of a spotter in MX is just wrong IMO
Crossup
10/3/2019 9:36am
Woohoo ""MARVIN.. red cross flag!!"

JWACK
10/3/2019 9:41am
Bambams about to come up your rear Eli! OVER.
hamncheeze
10/3/2019 9:44am
stremme12 wrote:
How many PRO SX/MX races have you personally lined up to qualify for to have that opinion? The way these guys race/qualify is a completely different...

"Copy Ghostrider, the FMOTP is jumping the wall but stay on planned course when FMOTP wads it up". Grinning
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
10/3/2019 9:46am
Potential for race fixing....pretty easy to get in on a teams / riders channel and start shouting obscenities to him to break his concentration.
Mr. Afterbar
10/3/2019 9:48am
philG wrote:
stremme12 wrote:

philG wrote:
Enough.. i had an AMA Pro license. i race with timed qualifying all the time and have done for the last 15 years. I dont want...
Enough.. i had an AMA Pro license. i race with timed qualifying all the time and have done for the last 15 years. I dont want someone crackling in my ear at the wrong moment. The idea of a spotter in MX is just wrong IMO
I have to agree. If it is allowed, I feel it should be for safety purposes only and not communication with or from the team.
RG1
10/3/2019 9:50am
I think it’s worth trialing but in all honesty I don’t see it working. You already see in F1 quite often a driver will tell his race engineer to stop talking because it’s disrupting his focus, and there’s a lot more time to talk on an F1 circuit than there is on a Supercross track. I would think the last thing you want when you’re trying to tackle a rhythm or whoop section is someone in your ear. One distraction and loss of concentration on a SX track and it could put you out for the season. So I’ll be interested to see how it works, but I’m not expecting it to work with a huge amount of success
mxdevon
10/3/2019 9:51am
Casting wrote:
Not a fan. Opens the door to teams giving riders cues about when a rider is setting them up for a pass, what lines to block...
Not a fan.

Opens the door to teams giving riders cues about when a rider is setting them up for a pass, what lines to block, etc.

Serious question: what's wrong with that?
I could see it working both ways.
10/3/2019 9:51am
anything to improve safety is a good thing, and fck nose we need our top guys to represent if we are ever going to "grow the sport"
motomike137
10/3/2019 10:31am
Question wrote:
If used properly, it can be a big improvement in case of a crash or KOed at a landing, i know that disasters don't happen often...
If used properly, it can be a big improvement in case of a crash or KOed at a landing, i know that disasters don't happen often but it can happen... Often the riders don't slow down with yellow flags, so if it can save a few riders i am really ok for it. The second thing is when the bike has an issue, if the bike is blowing up a little radio communication can save the rider too ; it should become a rule that the team must inform the rider, nothing worse than a mechanical on a take off (i know again that it doesn't happen often, but it can happen).

The con's are obviously more potential strategies, but i don't think it will be a drastic change, and for those who miss the pitboard already i think it is also possible to make it like in F1, who often offer some public radio communications that we can hear live and are pretty cool add-ons to the show.

It is another topic, but still about the show, we should now have more live go pro cameras, maybe like 1 minute over the 20 minutes main (instead of the 3 times go pro lap when nobody is on the track...), a good way to make the tv sponsor happy (a better advertising for them) and the public more interested in watching these go pros.
Expanding on that NBC Gold could offer (for xtra $ of course) live views from riders helmets during the race. Now take it to the next level and put a stereo camera on their visor and let me watch from my PSVR, Vibe or Occulus VR HMD Wink
ga_pike
10/3/2019 10:38am
I know it might get real annoying if as a racer, you have a spotter in your ear non-stop. But I do think there is benefit for "race control" to be able to communicate crashes, cross flags, red flags, black flags, or other relevant information.

Post a reply to: Radio comms approved for use in SX

The Latest