Radio Communication?

lisenbyjacob
I'm sure this has been talked about before, but is there a rule against riders having an earpiece/radio to communicate with the mechanic or someone spotting? It seems like it would be something that could easily be possible and would benefit the rider by having a spotter like in any other type of racing...
|
Bret
1/22/2019 3:37pm
I think it is prohibited. Personally, I think it might be too distracting for SX and MX and result in additional mishaps.
Layton
1/22/2019 4:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2019 4:10pm
It’s prohibited in most if not all AMA racing.
1/22/2019 4:41pm
It has been tested at races that allow it and the riders are only able to hear when off the throttle. Not ideal for MX and like Bret said, it would be a hazard in my opinion.
kb228
1/22/2019 5:16pm
Id like to see them test some senas. They have very loud speakers and you can get louder ones. Theyre specifically made for motorcycles.

The Shop

Layton
1/22/2019 7:06pm
Why would they test something that is against the rules?

clinthadwin
1/22/2019 7:08pm
Layton wrote:
Why would they test something that is against the rules?

Not only that, can you imagine trying to nail a rhythm lane with your mechanic in your ear? Hypothetically, of course. Lol
zehn
1/22/2019 7:13pm
I don’t buy that the bike is too loud to hear over. In my other life I’m a drummer, and even acoustic drums without amplification are every bit as loud as a modern 4 stroke.

They could use in-ear monitors that block out a good majority of the sound of the bike while still allowing them to hear and feel enough of the bike but still be able to hear their mechanic. Professional drummers and all musicians use these to hear their mixes over the sound that is amplified and projected out to the crowd.

But, I don’t think it would be all that useful to be able to hear the mechanic all the time and it would detract from one of the longest-standing traditions in our sport. That is, a rider has to “feel” his competition and race with minimal communication with his mechanic/team.
lisenbyjacob
1/22/2019 7:22pm
zehn wrote:
I don’t buy that the bike is too loud to hear over. In my other life I’m a drummer, and even acoustic drums without amplification are...
I don’t buy that the bike is too loud to hear over. In my other life I’m a drummer, and even acoustic drums without amplification are every bit as loud as a modern 4 stroke.

They could use in-ear monitors that block out a good majority of the sound of the bike while still allowing them to hear and feel enough of the bike but still be able to hear their mechanic. Professional drummers and all musicians use these to hear their mixes over the sound that is amplified and projected out to the crowd.

But, I don’t think it would be all that useful to be able to hear the mechanic all the time and it would detract from one of the longest-standing traditions in our sport. That is, a rider has to “feel” his competition and race with minimal communication with his mechanic/team.
I agree that it takes away from the nature of it all, just a thought that came across my mind with all of the new tech coming into racing. The "perfect rpm" lights come to mind as something thats nice, but doesn't seem necessary. I agree that it probably wouldn't be good to have him constantly barking in your ear but little updates would make sense.
zippytech
1/24/2019 7:46am
I have seen guys wear headphones and play music while they ride. For some I don't see it being a problem. but for me no way , I don't even listen to a radio in a car... lol
1/24/2019 7:58am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 7:59am
Guys are too focused. They don’t need a backseat driver chirping in their ear telling them to check up. By the time it’s relayed from backseat driver to microphone to receiver to rider to brain to wrist....it’s too late and it’ll just cause more crashes. We supposed to be making the sport safer.

Would you guys want to do this ? I wouldn’t. I hate it when I’m on the gate and the 2 card comes up and someone says something to me or taps me.
TXDirt
1/24/2019 8:26am
Racers are in the zone. They are doing things without thinking. It’s all instincts. If you have raced, and certainly at a high level you know exactly what that is. It would be a distraction and a downright safety hazard to have radio com in your ear during a race.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
1/24/2019 9:38am
Years ago I rigged up a radio setup for my son. I could talk to him, we used it for technique training. Worked great, and he's commented over the years that it could be helpful in racing situations. Things like "stay right" when there's a crash ahead of him, or "use the outside line" when someone has blown out the inside rut on the next corner.

It would take some time to develop a good feel for the amount of input a rider wants/needs, but if done right could also go a long ways toward keeping riders safe.
BroFoSho
1/24/2019 10:04am
Guys are too focused. They don’t need a backseat driver chirping in their ear telling them to check up. By the time it’s relayed from backseat...
Guys are too focused. They don’t need a backseat driver chirping in their ear telling them to check up. By the time it’s relayed from backseat driver to microphone to receiver to rider to brain to wrist....it’s too late and it’ll just cause more crashes. We supposed to be making the sport safer.

Would you guys want to do this ? I wouldn’t. I hate it when I’m on the gate and the 2 card comes up and someone says something to me or taps me.
I feel like it would actually be the opposite and stop crashes from happening. If a mechanic can tell their rider to stay right after a triple because of a downed rider, or to move aside as the leader is coming by, it'll make things safer.

An added bonus is they can also clearly communicate if they are being caught and by whom. Or relay a different line another rider is doing to make up time. I believe they are prohibited in order to keep costs down and make it fair for privateers. However, this is 2019... a two way radio system would cost less than an aftermarket exhaust system
Kevin852
1/24/2019 10:16am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 10:18am
I believe it could add to the safety of the race like BroFoSho mentioned.

the two biggest arguments are cost and distraction. Well, as mentioned they are pretty cheap now. As for distraction, I think that is not really valid as they use radios in F1. I think if an F1 driver can handle the "distraction" then a mx/sx rider can as well.

I would like to see it tested
motogrady
1/24/2019 10:58am

For sure. It's long overdue. The car guys have used them for years,

Face it. At the top level, it's not an individual thing. It's a team thing. So why hold back?
Safety wise, think of the advantage a guy would have if his pit yelled in the mike there's a wad in the big triple?
Or how it would help if the guy in the tower said so and so is making good time on everyone going wide in turn 3.

Or even if you don't quit sucking as a rider and pass some guys we don't get that bonus Monday.

The advantages are endless.....
kNewc
1/24/2019 11:20am
BroFoSho wrote:
I feel like it would actually be the opposite and stop crashes from happening. If a mechanic can tell their rider to stay right after a...
I feel like it would actually be the opposite and stop crashes from happening. If a mechanic can tell their rider to stay right after a triple because of a downed rider, or to move aside as the leader is coming by, it'll make things safer.

An added bonus is they can also clearly communicate if they are being caught and by whom. Or relay a different line another rider is doing to make up time. I believe they are prohibited in order to keep costs down and make it fair for privateers. However, this is 2019... a two way radio system would cost less than an aftermarket exhaust system
I don't think it would be a bonus for spectators to have the riders know of on-coming traffic/competitors. For example: RJ's takeout of AC. Would that have happened of someone could have said 'AC take the outside he's still there" or something along those lines? Sure, it would be safer but the races might be a tad bit more boring.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
1/24/2019 11:21am
It has been tested at races that allow it and the riders are only able to hear when off the throttle. Not ideal for MX and...
It has been tested at races that allow it and the riders are only able to hear when off the throttle. Not ideal for MX and like Bret said, it would be a hazard in my opinion.
Yup, too much of a distraction. Try giving them a cell phone and riding...same idea, only much dumber and worse. Distract the mind, and you lose concentration. Classic case of crash-itis.
SCR
1/24/2019 11:47am
The US MXDN team used radios at a race in the 80s I think it was. Some of the GP guys taped fake antennas on their helmets to make fun of them. I think they were banned after that.
1/24/2019 12:47pm
The radios were used by team Kawasaki in the late 80’s. REACT was the name and Cole Braun from Wisconsin was involved with them. Shortly after they were used the AMA banned them.
mxtech1
1/24/2019 12:57pm
I 100% do not support the idea of riders receiving communication from their team because a big part of racing is racing the track and competitors without the knowledge of what's going on in front of or behind you (minus what the mechanics can communicate through pit boards)

However,

I don't understand why the AMA and other sanctioning bodies don't mandate the use of 1 way radios like RACEceiver Racing Radios. This is widely accepted in other forms of racing.

How valuable would it be for the AMA officials to communicate red flag, medical flag, etc. in a certain section of the track. Think about how many times in the past downed riders have been ran over because flaggers have no immediate way to direct traffic away from a downed rider.
yz133rider
1/24/2019 12:59pm
Look at the crash malcolm had. 3,4,5 maybe more riders could have landed right on him, much like what happened to alessi years ago. Alessis lucky to be Alive from that. Maybe radio could help by saying stay right, rider down etc.
TXDirt
1/24/2019 1:15pm
yz133rider wrote:
Look at the crash malcolm had. 3,4,5 maybe more riders could have landed right on him, much like what happened to alessi years ago. Alessis lucky...
Look at the crash malcolm had. 3,4,5 maybe more riders could have landed right on him, much like what happened to alessi years ago. Alessis lucky to be Alive from that. Maybe radio could help by saying stay right, rider down etc.
In that situation you described with Malcolm I don’t think a radio guy would have been much faster then the flagger. Radio communications are instant but the decision to communicate something isn’t.

What would happen if a radio communication had incorrect info? So an alert goes out that says “stay right” when in fact it should have been “stay left” and a racer jumps on a downed rider or gets landed on himself.

Absolutely no good would come from in helmet communications during a SX or MX race. The riders would like it about as much as having an ice pick in their ear too.

Just my two cents.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
1/24/2019 1:21pm
Breaker 19 to Savatgy... Osbourne is coming up on you quick!!
wicksy85
Fantasy
1579th
1/24/2019 1:24pm
I know Ben Townley uses it when he does training camps back in NZ and a mate uses them every now and again back here while training. Mind you he fucking hates having his dad get up while he is training
Sir
1/24/2019 1:48pm
This nonsense has been tried in MotoGP as well and it was given short shrift by all involved, and as mxtech1 mentioned no rider should be given such instantaneous information about his competitors - it would be another unnecessary inroad into the skill of motorcycle competition just like all the electronic aids and launch control/start device along with extra cost for the teams.

Pit to driver comms doesn't do Formula 1 any favors and it most certainly wouldn't be a benefit for motorcycle racing - whatever form it takes.

Post a reply to: Radio Communication?

The Latest