Racing on a budget

ob
10/19/2018 7:06pm
I could do that in 2001
skypig
10/19/2018 7:11pm
My race budget is basically unlimited.
Unfortunately, skill, (and access to practice tracks) is very limited.
(Getting Old - peak of career/earning potential. trough of skill/bravery.)

I still use a jersey I bought superseded in 2004. (Among others bought from the “specials” rack since.)

The Ti Pipe, carbon “glide plate”, and two spare sets of wheels don’t seem to improve results. But hey, I enjoy the whole experience.

Life is racing, the rest is waiting around.

Last actual race was Supermoto.
Last ride was a MX practice day - 238 riders showed up. Got 4 x 10min rides!!
DTR830
Fantasy
1131st
10/19/2018 7:14pm
mark_swart wrote:
Avoid all of the extra status symbol BS that people buy into and you should be fine. A 2-3 year old bike is great and you...
Avoid all of the extra status symbol BS that people buy into and you should be fine. A 2-3 year old bike is great and you can get them as demos or low hours from guys who have already sunk in some money on upgrades. Gear goes on clearance at the end of each season, or put together a resume and apply for sponsorship.

You don't need: big truck with rims, toy hauler, $600 helmet and $600 boots, etc. In my 20-something lean years I pulled my newish bike with a Chevy Celebrity on an open trailer. It was ugly but it got me to the races.

And of course, learn to do your own maintenance. Tires, top ends, fork oil, as much as you can. A $20 service manual that saves you from even one trip to the dealer at $99/hour pays for itself pretty quick.

Now I'm not saying you can do the national series or go to Loretta's with that type of program, but if you are just talking about weekend warrior stuff, I think it's easily doable.
yes a good helmet is worth the 600
Kelz87
Fantasy
1574th
10/19/2018 7:29pm
I’ve thought about making a contest of some sort to win a gift card from BTO or RM. There was a time where I didn’t live as comfortable as I do now, so I know how it is to struggle with pursuing hobbies like motocross

The Shop

skypig
10/19/2018 9:14pm
Also, I had better results, and more enjoyment when I was driving a beater van, riding a two stroke, wearing old gear and couldn’t dream of having two new tires at the same time.
Of course the world was a better place when I was a teenager. (My body was also a better place. Brain, not so much.)

Another reason I’m interested in this conversation:

I was recently given an opportunity to move to the US.
Looked like I would earn about US$85 000 (Increasing as I gained the required experience/qualifications.)
Could a guy that loves racing bikes live a good life in the US on that? Depends on where I lived I guess. (Morristown NJ initially.)

I earn a lot more than that, but its Au$tralian pe$o$, in a Country where everything is crazy expensive, including income tax.
10/19/2018 9:44pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2018 9:45pm
skypig wrote:
My race budget is basically unlimited. Unfortunately, skill, (and access to practice tracks) is very limited. (Getting Old - peak of career/earning potential. trough of skill/bravery.)...

I still use a jersey I bought superseded in 2004. (Among others bought from the “specials” rack since.)

The Ti Pipe, carbon “glide plate”, and two spare sets of wheels don’t seem to improve results. But hey, I enjoy the whole experience.

Stock graphics and 9 inch stick on numbers! Nice! Like
Your style. Haha. Wink

Racin on a budget. But with top notch equipment.

My first real job outta college I made 30,000 take
Home a year after taxes. Bought two used 2 strokes. Filled them up to look identical and raced. bought a house and started paying on student loans. Raced quite a bit. Not every weekend but I could have if I wanted to....it’s doable. And had beer money! But I live in Ohio also.
mwilcox349
Fantasy
89th
10/19/2018 9:57pm
skypig wrote:
My race budget is basically unlimited. Unfortunately, skill, (and access to practice tracks) is very limited. (Getting Old - peak of career/earning potential. trough of skill/bravery.)...

Why you buying ti or cf with those numbers
Doddy
10/19/2018 10:26pm
I'll skip meals, work extra, wear wonr out clothes, whatever i have to do to go/keep riding, but I will be damned if I ever cheap out on a helmet, boots, and goggles again. It's all still cheaper than 1 trip to the hospital because someone decided to be cheap. Not to say it will save you from everything, but I like the increased chances. Just my 2 cents.

cody41
10/20/2018 1:57pm
I know two local racers who rose through the llocal ranks to then turn pro and each win AMA championships and it wasn't becsuse they had...
I know two local racers who rose through the llocal ranks to then turn pro and each win AMA championships and it wasn't becsuse they had silver spoons. Money will not make you fast, most posers are actually real slow. Hard work, perserverance and desire will.
Money will make you fast though. Money pays for the expenses of riding/racing, more money = more riding/racing. Money will also pay for coaching which will make you faster. I have personally see kids go to training facilities and come back 3x faster.
10/20/2018 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2018 3:43pm
I know two local racers who rose through the llocal ranks to then turn pro and each win AMA championships and it wasn't becsuse they had...
I know two local racers who rose through the llocal ranks to then turn pro and each win AMA championships and it wasn't becsuse they had silver spoons. Money will not make you fast, most posers are actually real slow. Hard work, perserverance and desire will.
cody41 wrote:
Money will make you fast though. Money pays for the expenses of riding/racing, more money = more riding/racing. Money will also pay for coaching which will...
Money will make you fast though. Money pays for the expenses of riding/racing, more money = more riding/racing. Money will also pay for coaching which will make you faster. I have personally see kids go to training facilities and come back 3x faster.
Only to pack it in after a year. You do make a good point though, I've just seen too many kids that don't have to earn it give up too easily. I guess i never thought of MX as a pissing contest over fancy gear, useless bling on the bike and head candy.
10/20/2018 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2018 5:07pm
I know many a-pros from modest 50k-70k/year families.....money doesn’t make you fast. And I know many millionaire pros who are getting similar results as the 50-70k families.
Mx286
10/20/2018 5:38pm
cody41 wrote:
Money will make you fast though. Money pays for the expenses of riding/racing, more money = more riding/racing. Money will also pay for coaching which will...
Not everyone with money has talent, but sometimes money can buy talent if you know what to work/spend it on.

I grew up racing from a blue collar family. There were years I would be battling with kids at area qualifiers and regionals. Then the following year they would come out of no where and be getting top tens/winning national championships. It would leave me scratching my head every time trying to see what I could of did different. But it’s hard to compete with someone with a fleet of the best bikes when my practice bike was my race bike, and they travel around everywhere in a RV racing all the big races riding 24/7.
Bry145
10/20/2018 6:46pm
50K a year gross is hardly 50K a year net.

Deduct all the income, sales, and property taxes, and that 50 becomes 30 or 25 in a hurry.

Reduce the size of the welfare state, lower taxes, and allow people to keep more of what they earn. They can use that money to buy things and stimulate the economy.

That said, ride a two-stroke, keep it mostly stock, get every ounce out of every part, go for budget gear, and carpool to the riding spots and races.

Put in some OT if you work hourly.

Also, if possible reduce some unnecessary spending to put that money in the moto fund.

And most importantly, don't get married or have kids.

Bry145
10/20/2018 6:58pm
skypig wrote:
Also, I had better results, and more enjoyment when I was driving a beater van, riding a two stroke, wearing old gear and couldn’t dream of...
Also, I had better results, and more enjoyment when I was driving a beater van, riding a two stroke, wearing old gear and couldn’t dream of having two new tires at the same time.
Of course the world was a better place when I was a teenager. (My body was also a better place. Brain, not so much.)

Looked like I would earn about US$85 000 (Increasing as I gained the required experience/qualifications.)
Could a guy that loves racing bikes live a good life in the US on that? Depends on where I lived I guess. (Morristown NJ initially.)

I earn a lot more than that, but its Au$tralian pe$o$, in a Country where everything is crazy expensive, including income tax.
You'd be in one of the highest Federal income tax brackets at 85K gross.

In the USA, housing varies greatly depending on location. Taxes vary depending on the state and local. Some areas have hideous school taxes.

85K will get you a closet in Manhattan or a mansion with moto track in the yard in Ohio. Avoiding getting married and having kids is the best path to economic freedom. Nothing against women and kids, but they are expensive. And they get more expensive if the marriage doesn't work out, which is a 50/50 chance at best.

10/20/2018 8:14pm
skypig wrote:
Also, I had better results, and more enjoyment when I was driving a beater van, riding a two stroke, wearing old gear and couldn’t dream of...

Bry145 wrote:
You'd be in one of the highest Federal income tax brackets at 85K gross. In the USA, housing varies greatly depending on location. Taxes vary depending...

In the USA, housing varies greatly depending on location. Taxes vary depending on the state and local. Some areas have hideous school taxes.

85K will get you a closet in Manhattan or a mansion with moto track in the yard in Ohio. Avoiding getting married and having kids is the best path to economic freedom. Nothing against women and kids, but they are expensive. And they get more expensive if the marriage doesn't work out, which is a 50/50 chance at best.

Gotta Marry a woman that also makes 60-100k a year. Buy a house in Ohio and your set!!!! Ha.

More so time constraints in motocross are a larger factor than money. Running stock classes nobody is beating you with money.....

I’m hopin my daughter wants to golf. I’ll drag her to every golf course all over the world! Atleast she might make some real money one day.
skypig
10/20/2018 8:18pm
mwilcox349 wrote:
Why you buying ti or cf with those numbers
Custom Graphics co$t and ad weight. (I actually ran out of time to get any - so boat numbers are a temporary fix.

Longer Ti caliper bolts and al spacers, allowed fitting 320mm disc. (And saved grams of unsprung weight)
Ti/Cf Pipe saves some serious weight, gets rid of the “ice cream cone restrictor” and allows Pipe removal without taking the shock and swing arm off!!
skypig
10/20/2018 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2018 8:23pm
Bry145 wrote:
You'd be in one of the highest Federal income tax brackets at 85K gross. In the USA, housing varies greatly depending on location. Taxes vary depending...

Thanks for the info.
I have numerous fabulous bikes. (See, “No wife, and especially important: no kids”)
My GF has a “portable” job and could, if she wanted, move to the US with me.
She just bought her own new KTM 390 Duke.

Ohio sounds like the place to be - My own Moto Track - A dream!
Bry145
10/21/2018 8:46am
skypig wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have numerous fabulous bikes. (See, “No wife, and especially important: no kids”) My GF has a “portable” job and could, if...
Thanks for the info.
I have numerous fabulous bikes. (See, “No wife, and especially important: no kids”)
My GF has a “portable” job and could, if she wanted, move to the US with me.
She just bought her own new KTM 390 Duke.

Ohio sounds like the place to be - My own Moto Track - A dream!
Ohio and Western PA aren't bad, as long as you can deal with the winter and all the rain in the spring and early summer.

A Playstation and exercise bike may be the best way to cope with the crappy and depressing weather.
DoubleA
10/22/2018 8:56am
My setup has cost me about 7k. That includes my bike, car, trailer, insurance, tools and gear. If I wanted to go riding every Sunday, I'd be looking at about £1700. I don't spend more than 10k a year on racing. I'd love to earn 50k a year let alone have that as a racing budget.
SOAB_465
10/23/2018 2:04pm
Graybeard wrote:
It's easy to race on less than your budget, but as someone else already stated, invest in a good helmet--it doesn't have to be the most...
It's easy to race on less than your budget, but as someone else already stated, invest in a good helmet--it doesn't have to be the most expensive, but have the best safety technology.
+1

If you can find a last season F2 Carbon with MIPS, you can get a fairly cutting edge helmet for under $200. That's pretty much all I run anymore

Post a reply to: Racing on a budget

The Latest