Racing after back fusion surgery

blaze 57
7/6/2019 10:38am
Last winter I slipped/fell off a water tank landing on my left foot. Had little pain in my lower back right after the accident.

Fast forward to this spring and getting back into moto and noticed when exiting turns if I failed to quickly get my butt of the seat the acceleration bumps were driving pain into my lower back, butt and legs.

Doctor ordered an MRI and x-rays after 20 PT sessions did nothing to stop the leg/butt pain.

Images reveal broken spine which causes the L5 vertebrata to slip back and forth likes its on a hinge thus driving it into my main nerve cord at times.

Got into a neurosurgeon and now have pre-consultation surgery slated for July 17th for fusion surgery. Bone graft and titanium rods, screws will be required to stabilize the spine. Without the surgery the outcome is permanent nerve cord damage in the future according to the neurosurgeon,

How was getting back into racing after back surgery for you? This is my first serious back injury requiring surgery, Thanks.
|
Walter
7/6/2019 11:38am
I had stopped racing before I had a fusion. My fusion was of L4, L5 and S1.

My advice is to listen to your MD on the rehab and follow the advice to the letter. I did and have had a great result. I am back to riding bicycling on the road w/o any issues like I had pre-fusion.

I have friends who did not do the rehab right and now have some permanent issues.

The only issue is that you now have fewer vertebrae to absorb shock and the vertebra just above the fusion is now your hinge point and needs to be taken care or it will go next.

Good luck with it all...
MXMattii
7/6/2019 12:23pm
Like Walter tells you, listen to your MD. If you only have a three or four vertebrae who gets fussed then maybe some trail riding is still possible. But you need to realize that every movement, jump, rotation will be divided onto less vertebrae then what our body is designed too, so they will wear out faster. If I would compare it to a bike, they are stiffing up your suspension in your back and everyone knows riding with very stiff suspensions isn't always pleasant, and the beating your bike gets because you stiffen your suspension isn't always healthy for the bike. If this all makes scense.

I hope what I said helped you and makes sense to you. I've got a scoliosis fusion so that isn't the same like a small fusion to repair something that is broken by trauma but, I know a little.
lawson34
7/6/2019 1:47pm
Did the same thing 3 months ago my ankle got better my back is still hurting I'm not sayin my back is broken but damn it's like getting stuck with a knife
blaze 57
7/6/2019 2:54pm
Walter wrote:
I had stopped racing before I had a fusion. My fusion was of L4, L5 and S1. My advice is to listen to your MD on...
I had stopped racing before I had a fusion. My fusion was of L4, L5 and S1.

My advice is to listen to your MD on the rehab and follow the advice to the letter. I did and have had a great result. I am back to riding bicycling on the road w/o any issues like I had pre-fusion.

I have friends who did not do the rehab right and now have some permanent issues.

The only issue is that you now have fewer vertebrae to absorb shock and the vertebra just above the fusion is now your hinge point and needs to be taken care or it will go next.

Good luck with it all...
Thank Walter that makes sense and the neurosurgeon never really covered that, Yes mine will be the s1, L5 and L4 fusion too, The L5 seems to be the weak link in our lower backs.

The Shop

Kyle_McNab
7/6/2019 3:02pm
Man I hate back injuries all of them are different. I have scoliosis and have been off the the bike for 2 years now so depressing I’m only 24. Good luck buddy
captmoto
7/6/2019 3:32pm
I think I would do everything other therapy twice before I would do back surgery and I have a blown out back. I know a couple people and my sister that have had unsuccessful fusions. The third time was a charm for my sister. Try a sports physical therapist. A year is not too long to try to rehab your back. Have you done pain management? Epidurals? I would consider waiting until it is too much to take doing basic life stuff like getting dressed or washing dishes or something like that.
Walter
7/6/2019 7:19pm
captmoto wrote:
I think I would do everything other therapy twice before I would do back surgery and I have a blown out back. I know a couple...
I think I would do everything other therapy twice before I would do back surgery and I have a blown out back. I know a couple people and my sister that have had unsuccessful fusions. The third time was a charm for my sister. Try a sports physical therapist. A year is not too long to try to rehab your back. Have you done pain management? Epidurals? I would consider waiting until it is too much to take doing basic life stuff like getting dressed or washing dishes or something like that.
I did try every thing first (which is very sound advice: Modified axial loading activities, did stretching, & did PT.

Once L4 slipped over the front of L5 (Spondylolysis) it was time to bring on the screws and rods.

Another tip a non-back doc passed on to me is to beware of MD's who want to cut too soon.

Find one who has really "good hands" and has done a bunch of them with great results, especially with active people.
kpiper
7/6/2019 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2019 7:58pm
blaze 57 wrote:
Last winter I slipped/fell off a water tank landing on my left foot. Had little pain in my lower back right after the accident. Fast forward...
Last winter I slipped/fell off a water tank landing on my left foot. Had little pain in my lower back right after the accident.

Fast forward to this spring and getting back into moto and noticed when exiting turns if I failed to quickly get my butt of the seat the acceleration bumps were driving pain into my lower back, butt and legs.

Doctor ordered an MRI and x-rays after 20 PT sessions did nothing to stop the leg/butt pain.

Images reveal broken spine which causes the L5 vertebrata to slip back and forth likes its on a hinge thus driving it into my main nerve cord at times.

Got into a neurosurgeon and now have pre-consultation surgery slated for July 17th for fusion surgery. Bone graft and titanium rods, screws will be required to stabilize the spine. Without the surgery the outcome is permanent nerve cord damage in the future according to the neurosurgeon,

How was getting back into racing after back surgery for you? This is my first serious back injury requiring surgery, Thanks.
There are many choices these days. Spend the time and money getting as many opinions as possible. Research everything on the internet. Search your doctor's history. Have they done this on other athletes?

Having said that, a friend of mine had the exact procedure you described and he races off road (some MX track portions) with no problems at all. He also has had hip replacement and still races.

So it is possible but everyone is different and you never know how surgery will turn out. There are no guarantees.
Patrick461
7/6/2019 10:01pm
With this kind of injury, I’d say fix it and hang up the boots. I rode and raced mx for 25 years never hurt my back. But destroyed my back on an oil rig. Got surgery still in a lot of pain. I have Never ridden mx since it’s just not worth it. I do light trail riding that’s all I can stand I have to be able walk so I can work. Don’t need a wheel chair at 44 years old or any age unless it’s 80 years +
200exc
Fantasy
510th
7/7/2019 7:22am
I had L5 S1 fusion 6 years ago, had a herniated disc and veterbrate was broken, it's a long recovery process but you can definitely get back to where you were. Have to be careful of everything above it as it's hard to build muscle where it's fused so everything above has to work harder and it's easy to get upper back pain but never get pain where it's fused. If your nerve pain is bad try to get done asap nerves take forever to heal mine still bothers me
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
7/7/2019 6:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2019 6:29pm
T1-6 rods and screws. I just watch now👍😬not worth it.
TXDirt
7/7/2019 8:14pm
L5S1 fusion. Best thing I ever did. Recovery is long 8-12 months but I absolutely would not hesitate riding a motorcycle again. I would have no concerns after 12 months recovery. Anything ahead of 12 months I would wait. Just be patient. The surgery is a real bitch and first two weeks are gnarly. But you will get better and should have no problem getting back to a normal active life.
Knobbyjake
7/8/2019 9:26am
I had 2 fusions in 2003 and 2004. L 2-3 and L 3-4. I missed a year or so of riding after. I stopped riding moto and started racing hare scrambles and trail riding before my surgeries. Since my surgeries I race hare scrambles and trail ride with zero issues. I'm too old for big jumps but I'm pretty sure my back would take it. I had to stop riding at least a year before my surgeries because my back was so bad. It was totally worth it to get my back fixed. I've gotten completely back to a normal life. The only thing I've given up is water skiing. I tried it once and the strain on my back trying to come up out of the water really hurt and scared the hell out of me.
KW62
7/8/2019 11:02am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 11:04am
I'm sure my situation is probably different but at least it's some positive information. I shattered my T3/T4/T5 in 2012 and they are fused. Doctors told me that's the strongest part of my back now and I shouldn't have any major issues.

I've been logging about 60 hours of moto track time a year for the past few years and racing fairly often without issue. I would second everyone else's advice of listening to your doctor, but if you don't like what you hear you can always get a second opinion. The varying levels of competency in the medical field is pretty large.
alphado
7/8/2019 11:35am
I was told that I need my L5 and S1 fused together a few months ago. I'm holding off as long as I can, doesn't sound like any fun at all.
7/8/2019 11:47am
I struggled with back pain for 18 years. Finally had an L4, L5 fusion done in January 1988 in Texas. I asked the doctor about moto and he told me that I was a big boy and my body would decide that for me, just don't ride any bulls. Turned 40 in the hospital after the surgery. In June I was water skiing, then racing again in September. These results are not typical and I can't advise anyone on what they should do. Just my experience. At 71, I'm still racing.
VetMX.com
7/8/2019 12:34pm
blaze 57 wrote:
Last winter I slipped/fell off a water tank landing on my left foot. Had little pain in my lower back right after the accident. Fast forward...

This first, fusion if nothing else works, last step, not first. I know several people that have had great results with a few shots. 21st Century now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUCJo1j0S9s
KAWI642
7/21/2019 6:04am
I wish i had the insurance and time to get my back fixed. If you can -it's a blessing.
7/21/2019 6:27am
I broke my back almost two years ago at 19, and had L1 to L3 fused as L2 was compression fractured (Moto incident). The first year of recovery was tough, but I convinced myself I HAD to ride and bought a new bike. That was a mistake as I wasn’t mentally ready for it and I kept having flashbacks of the crash, the hospital, the pain etc, and decided I’d be better off selling it and taking some time to really get over it.
I had to give up my career as a tech because of my fusion, doing shop work was too hard on it and I went home aching everyday. That alone was enough of a wake up call to really make me think “is it worth it?”
The pain after a fusion never really goes away, you have to stretch, you have to be careful with your body, and going to the chiropractor and getting massages and eating proper food is very important. A combination of all those does help with the pain.
I do miss Moto very much, but I don’t think I miss it enough to chance hurting my back again and potentially giving up everything I’ve got back on track in the past two years. Take your time with recovery and see how it feels, if it hurts to ride, don’t do it as it’ll degrade your back a lot faster then it should. Take it easy and try find something else in life to enjoy. Even if you’re not on the track, there’s still lots of ways to be involved with the Moto community.
seventeen
7/21/2019 4:17pm
I had the L5 S1 fusion...same type of scenario as your...your next issue will be in your neck...
5/4/2021 2:26pm
I just had L2-L5 fusion and 3 discs removed and cages inserted in March. I only do trail riding now, are any of you wearing special back braces or anything while riding?

Post a reply to: Racing after back fusion surgery

The Latest