Racing Class Advice

Ric_E
Edited Date/Time 1/3/2019 7:15pm
Looking for a little advice as to what class to enter for a first time racer. I rode a lot when I was younger, as a kid I had a KX60, RM80, KX125, last bike I had was when I was 16 was a CR250. I have rode maybe once or twice a year the past 7 years just going to a local track and riding my brothers CRF450. But finally after a few years of doing this I realized I forgot how much I missed/loved riding. I finally nutted up and bought my own bike about 3 months ago. Got a 2014 RMZ450, I absolutely love the bike having ridden it a handful of times now I really want to give racing a shot. Though I have ridden quite a bit throughout my life never actually raced.I am pretty comfortable hitting (in my opinion) larger doubles, rhythm sections, table tops etc. I am 27 now so obviously will be in a 25+ or an open class.

Appreciate any advice provided
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/21/2018 2:36pm
+25C or even 450D/Beginner if they offer it. You can always move up from there. I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing wrong with riding the Beginner class. We all started somewhere.
AngryBear
12/21/2018 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 12/21/2018 2:57pm
25+ c/d if they have it.

i'm a fan, if you are a slower vet, to mingle with other slower vets as opposed to slower kids (450d/beginner). trust me. the vets want to go back to work on monday.

or at least have that option.
Stuntman949
12/21/2018 2:59pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
+25C or even 450D/Beginner if they offer it. You can always move up from there. I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing wrong with...
+25C or even 450D/Beginner if they offer it. You can always move up from there. I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing wrong with riding the Beginner class. We all started somewhere.
Most of Vital finishes there too

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/21/2018 3:01pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
+25C or even 450D/Beginner if they offer it. You can always move up from there. I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing wrong with...
LOL!!!!!
c0ncEpT
12/21/2018 3:39pm
Depends on how many and what classes they run. You can ride in Open C and/or a Vet class. In D14 the Vet C class is called "Vet Sport".

Either way you're going to have fun!

barnett468
12/21/2018 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 12/21/2018 3:52pm
Ride the beginner class as mattyham suggested if they have one. There are cherry pickers in every class below expert anyway, I guarantee it. No need riding over your head trying to keep up, or riding around near last place because the other people in your class should be in the next higher one, plus if you happen to be faster then most of them and you get a trophy, well, there is nothing wrong with that for your first race either.

de883zx
12/21/2018 3:55pm
Search Brandon’s first race. All your answers lie there.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
12/21/2018 5:18pm
Only run C class if you're going to clear every jump...double, triple or even quad. If you run the D class only the top 2 will do those jumps....pathetic but that's how it is
McG194
12/21/2018 10:33pm
I'm with the beginner class suggestion. If nothing else it takes pressure off of race day. You learn how everything works, when to go to the line etc. I got back on a dirt bike after doing nothing but street riding for the last 20 years and jumped back in the beginner class without shame.
12/23/2018 7:52am
If you listen to the MotoXpod Show then y'all know I'm big about calling out sandbagging. But you are the definition of "Beginner" at racing. Run the beginner class for 2019. It is for riders to learn "race craft". Racing and just practice are 2 different things. Ride Beginner and don't put pressure on yourself. If you are faster then the other races then use the year to focus on technic and getting ready for the next class. Just don't spend 3, or 10, years in the f-ing C class because you are afraid of not being able to win B class (Y'all know who y'all are).
kb228
12/23/2018 8:04am
What i did was i attended a local race and just spectated. Recorded laptimes of the c class guys. Went and rode that same track and recorded my laptimes on practice days. I just kept practicing till i could hold those times for the duration of the race. You could do that to see where youre at.
drt410
12/23/2018 8:41am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Especially the ones who start new us mxdn threads every day...
barnett468
12/23/2018 8:47am
If you ride any class and do well and want to move into the next higher class for the next race, and you can do that at any time throughout the year. You are not stuck racing the class you initially sign up for.

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
12/23/2018 9:36am
Ride the beginner class, let everyone go when they drop the gate so you don’t get into trouble in the first turn and see if you can catch and pass some people. There’s no shame in riding the beginner or C class so don’t let anyone deter you from it. Amateur racing is all about fun if you do it correctly. Good luck!

Oh and don’t hit the deck! You’ve got nothing to prove or gain by riding beyond your ability. And don’t land on people if you’re doing jumps but lack corner speed. It’s all for fun and getting landed on or landing on somebody is not fun.
Ric_E
12/27/2018 10:58am
kb228 wrote:
What i did was i attended a local race and just spectated. Recorded laptimes of the c class guys. Went and rode that same track and...
What i did was i attended a local race and just spectated. Recorded laptimes of the c class guys. Went and rode that same track and recorded my laptimes on practice days. I just kept practicing till i could hold those times for the duration of the race. You could do that to see where youre at.
will help me gauge where I am at as far as stamina and place wise.

Thanks
Ric_E
12/27/2018 11:00am
731chopper wrote:
Ride the beginner class, let everyone go when they drop the gate so you don’t get into trouble in the first turn and see if you...
Ride the beginner class, let everyone go when they drop the gate so you don’t get into trouble in the first turn and see if you can catch and pass some people. There’s no shame in riding the beginner or C class so don’t let anyone deter you from it. Amateur racing is all about fun if you do it correctly. Good luck!

Oh and don’t hit the deck! You’ve got nothing to prove or gain by riding beyond your ability. And don’t land on people if you’re doing jumps but lack corner speed. It’s all for fun and getting landed on or landing on somebody is not fun.
What do you mean as far as "doing jumps but lack corner speed"? How will that set me up to land on someone? I like the idea of just seeing if I can catch and pass some people. Definitely don't wanna land on anyone or have anyone land on me haha.

Thanks for the advice
Ric_E
12/27/2018 11:06am
Only run C class if you're going to clear every jump...double, triple or even quad. If you run the D class only the top 2 will...
Only run C class if you're going to clear every jump...double, triple or even quad. If you run the D class only the top 2 will do those jumps....pathetic but that's how it is
From what I have gathered the SRAC (Colorado's Race Association) Only has C Class. I am pretty confident I can hit the jumps. The track I am aiming for my first race is my local track Aztec family raceway (outdoor track) i have ridden here a lot so I am confident I can hit all the jumps there. They have a supercross event in summer call the pikes peak supercross that I would like to race if I were to get a couple of races under my belt before then. I have yet to ride a real tight supercross type track that will have more triples and doubles out of quick turns.
12/27/2018 11:11am
Sign up for your age class. And sign up for C. If you win the c class your first race out. Consider B.

Also if your area does the whole D class thing then race 1 D race. If you slaughter people, bump yourself up to C.

Also read your local rule book. You can progress as the rules state or bump up early.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
12/27/2018 11:16am
Ric_E wrote:
What do you mean as far as "doing jumps but lack corner speed"? How will that set me up to land on someone? I like the...
What do you mean as far as "doing jumps but lack corner speed"? How will that set me up to land on someone? I like the idea of just seeing if I can catch and pass some people. Definitely don't wanna land on anyone or have anyone land on me haha.

Thanks for the advice
Because there may be some guys quicker than you around the track but not doing some of the jumps you are. That’s where some of the mayhem can come from.
12/27/2018 11:34am
Only run C class if you're going to clear every jump...double, triple or even quad. If you run the D class only the top 2 will...
C riders triple and quading... that sentence just feels wrong haha
12/27/2018 11:36am
Ric_E wrote:
What do you mean as far as "doing jumps but lack corner speed"? How will that set me up to land on someone? I like the...

Thanks for the advice
731chopper wrote:
Because there may be some guys quicker than you around the track but not doing some of the jumps you are. That’s where some of the...
Because there may be some guys quicker than you around the track but not doing some of the jumps you are. That’s where some of the mayhem can come from.
the rules around my local tracks always said if you were C or slower no tripling period. I think thats a pretty good/ safe rule
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/27/2018 11:38am
Ric_E wrote:

Thanks for the advice
731chopper wrote:
Because there may be some guys quicker than you around the track but not doing some of the jumps you are. That’s where some of the...
the rules around my local tracks always said if you were C or slower no tripling period. I think thats a pretty good/ safe rule
Not out west. The D/Beginner class has most guys doing all or close to all of the jumps.
12/27/2018 11:44am
731chopper wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Not out west. The D/Beginner class has most guys doing all or close to all of the jumps.
sounds like they need to move up
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/27/2018 12:39pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
sounds like they need to move up
They can't really keep up with the mid pack C guys.
Ric_E
12/27/2018 12:51pm
Ric_E wrote:

Thanks for the advice
731chopper wrote:
Makes sense, yeah I could see that resulting in some carnage.
ti473
12/27/2018 2:59pm
Pro no jumping class
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/27/2018 6:30pm
Ric_E wrote:
Looking for a little advice as to what class to enter for a first time racer. I rode a lot when I was younger, as a...
Looking for a little advice as to what class to enter for a first time racer. I rode a lot when I was younger, as a kid I had a KX60, RM80, KX125, last bike I had was when I was 16 was a CR250. I have rode maybe once or twice a year the past 7 years just going to a local track and riding my brothers CRF450. But finally after a few years of doing this I realized I forgot how much I missed/loved riding. I finally nutted up and bought my own bike about 3 months ago. Got a 2014 RMZ450, I absolutely love the bike having ridden it a handful of times now I really want to give racing a shot. Though I have ridden quite a bit throughout my life never actually raced.I am pretty comfortable hitting (in my opinion) larger doubles, rhythm sections, table tops etc. I am 27 now so obviously will be in a 25+ or an open class.

Go sign up in the 450 C class and go racing. Quit over thinking and just do it, don't waste your time watching and timing a class and then timing yourself practicing like some joker said he did. just sign up and line up and let the gate drop, you may know how to ride but to know how to race you just have to go do it.
BR8ES
12/27/2018 6:32pm
Ric_E wrote:
Looking for a little advice as to what class to enter for a first time racer. I rode a lot when I was younger, as a...

lostboy819 wrote:
Go sign up in the 450 C class and go racing. Quit over thinking and just do it, don't waste your time watching and timing a...
Go sign up in the 450 C class and go racing. Quit over thinking and just do it, don't waste your time watching and timing a class and then timing yourself practicing like some joker said he did. just sign up and line up and let the gate drop, you may know how to ride but to know how to race you just have to go do it.
especially since you are familiar with Aztec, just do it.

Post a reply to: Racing Class Advice

The Latest