Racing Between Ironman and MXoN

Related:
Create New Tag

10/8/2018 12:03 PM

At the end of the AMA season, more than one person here suggested that the Americans (with focus on Tomac, but let's include all three American MXoN riders) should have travelled to one or more remaining MXGP races as preparation. The schedule looked like this:

Aug 25, Ironman

Sept 2, Turkey (Afyon)
Sept 16, Netherlands (Assen)
Sept 30, Italy (Imola)

Most of the people here dismissed the idea offhand. Some scoffed. Too expensive. Americans didn't need it. Waste of time. Any thoughts now?

|

10/8/2018 12:12 PM

Thoughts now? As long as the team or company funded the whole trip, sure makes sense to me. If they are basically doing it on their own dime, it doesn't make sense - better off to properly train and ride here in the US. If company/team funded, I'd say Hell yes they should have, minimum of at least 1 round and most likely the last 2. Riding the sand at Assen and the track in Italy would have been an awesome experience for them. I know these guys get tired of being dancing monkeys putting on performances. But damn, take a nice long 4 week European vacation and go see Italy and Netherlands (and everything in between) on someone else's budget would be an experience of a lifetime. Too hard not to pass up. Maybe this is something we should all pony up for here in the US for our team every year.

Shoot, if the team/company wouldn't fund the experience, then start a GoFundMe for it because lots of people put money toward a hellava lot more stupid shit via GFM than racing GP's. I'd put money toward them going.

|

10/8/2018 12:46 PM

Turkey and Imola were both new tracks... no disadvantage

|

10/8/2018 2:10 PM

At the end of a full sx and outdoor season, no thanks... I don't think any of them will be doing that, and I don't blame them.

|

10/8/2018 2:16 PM

Barcia was in europe before MXON ...

|

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

10/8/2018 2:29 PM

Next year they can race the Dutch nationals for preperation for Assen.
On tracks like this:

|

10/8/2018 2:31 PM

That goes both ways. US riders had time to rest and recover. Cairoli picked up an injury that very well could have cost Italy the MXoN victory. I do agree though they should have done something. I’m guessing it was mostly prep for the MEC instead of MXoN.

|