Racer X Films: Davi Millsaps Injury Update

Timo_2824
1/18/2018 10:58am
Last March I crashed and was out for 15 min, went into a full seizure. I'm just now feeling like the fog is lifting, head injuries are crazy.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
1/18/2018 11:21am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 11:22am
Spydee wrote:
and do you know what the worst part about all this is? We still don't know exactly what the fuck was in his locker.
Toradol w/o an Rx.
EddieC
1/18/2018 11:26am
Not sure if Davi falls in this category but I know a lot of the top riders purchase catastrophic insurance plans for situations just like this. If its medically determined that he should not continue this plan should be able to provide for his family.

Don't you guys think a plan like this should be made available to all riders who compete?

Every profession comes with risks and yes the participants all accept the consequences. The difference is that in a majority of professions there are programs/policies that help participants in the event of injury that keeps them from performing/working again.

Kkawi
1/18/2018 11:26am
kzizok wrote:
Toradol w/o an Rx.
What? Thats ridiculous. Toradol isnt even a controlled substance or a drug of abuse in any way

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
1/18/2018 11:27am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 11:28am
kzizok wrote:
Toradol w/o an Rx.
Kkawi wrote:
What? Thats ridiculous. Toradol isnt even a controlled substance or a drug of abuse in any way
Without a prescription. Messenger.
jeffro503
1/18/2018 12:26pm
EddieC wrote:
Not sure if Davi falls in this category but I know a lot of the top riders purchase catastrophic insurance plans for situations just like this...
Not sure if Davi falls in this category but I know a lot of the top riders purchase catastrophic insurance plans for situations just like this. If its medically determined that he should not continue this plan should be able to provide for his family.

Don't you guys think a plan like this should be made available to all riders who compete?

Every profession comes with risks and yes the participants all accept the consequences. The difference is that in a majority of professions there are programs/policies that help participants in the event of injury that keeps them from performing/working again.

I do Eddie. I think anyone in a sport like this that does it for a living , should definitely find an insurance plan like that. Heck , would be nice to have that for the everyday working joe schmoe like me too , just in case.
pbody
Fantasy
347th
1/18/2018 12:45pm
davistld01 wrote:
You know...all this, DM being out for 8-minutes and all makes me think of Stewart. How many concussions he’s had that we know of, the latest...
You know...all this, DM being out for 8-minutes and all makes me think of Stewart. How many concussions he’s had that we know of, the latest being from the Dungey t-bone two years ago...but how many more nobody but he knows. Wow. No wonder he hasn’t come back...and probably never will.
Yeah, agreed re: JS7. I've thought about this a lot in last 1-2 years after the movie about CTE came out and then reading about Dale Jr's issues and therapy to get back into the car again. Serious stuff.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
1/18/2018 9:37pm
Camp332 wrote:
Shit, I just hope he is ok to raise his kids. Fuck the dirtbike racing bro.
Boom! My pumped up brother!
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
1/18/2018 10:19pm
Forty wrote:
Not 100%.

What year did Davi start with 450? He's had a strange career...good, but strange.

davi started in 2006. he won the 250 east then switched to 450 outdoors. partly due to riders crashing out he finished 3rd that year.

He reminds me a lot of Kevin windham, a lot of style and talent...and not enough luck to get a national title.

but he has had quite a lot of random injuries or illnesses. I remember 2008 he was in contention for the title and he had issues. turned out he had a hole in his inner ear causing him vertigo and other stuff .

1/19/2018 12:38am
EddieC wrote:
Not sure if Davi falls in this category but I know a lot of the top riders purchase catastrophic insurance plans for situations just like this...

jeffro503 wrote:
I do Eddie. I think anyone in a sport like this that does it for a living , should definitely find an insurance plan like that...
I do Eddie. I think anyone in a sport like this that does it for a living , should definitely find an insurance plan like that. Heck , would be nice to have that for the everyday working joe schmoe like me too , just in case.
Combined insurance company of America? I believe their care and payouts were pretty good if the worst was to happen.
They would pay out set amounts for small/er fractures as well. However here in the UK they have made a point to stop covering motocross on new policies taken out. There are other companies offering to cover it though.

For the professional, Id say an insurance policy is viable. Firstly its probably hellishly expensive and a pro rider can afford it, secondly the insurers know that A) the rider is in good health, is fit & strong and physically prepared to be riding dirtbikes, Cool They know that the rider will be riding in a controlled environment with a level of first aid present when he rides. & C) His equipment will always be top notch and safe.

For the amateur, the insurers are faced with the rider being overweight, unfit, Maybe under the influence, riding in uncontrolled areas (such as Glamis) on unprepared potentially unsafe machinery. - Its too much of a gamble for the insurers.

Question
1/19/2018 7:26am
EddieC wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
I do Eddie. I think anyone in a sport like this that does it for a living , should definitely find an insurance plan like that...
I wish him a full recovery, a few outdoor and then a happy family life.

Now I don't want to stir a pot but actually some very good lawyers could easily demonstrate that it is the liability of the organizer (i.e. ama) to secure their athletes health and life in case of serious accidents. For top guns, they can probably pay these insurances themselves, but what about riders in the top 10 to top 40? What % of the top 10 to top 40 is fully insured and set for life (modestly) if something tragic happen? That is a key point to improve in this sport especially in the us since healthcare is very costly. I am sure there is enough money when there are like 60.000 people at each venue !

Post a reply to: Racer X Films: Davi Millsaps Injury Update

The Latest