Race fuel breaks Searles wrist?

Socket946
3/10/2014 9:50pm
5th gear, tapped, everything the bike's got! -FGR01
rrjr
3/11/2014 6:53pm
Robgvx wrote:
http://moto.mpora.com/news/anstie-third-as-searle-breaks-wrist.html [i][b]Searle had a massive spill over the Si Racha track’s infamous double jump. On landing, he was pitched over the bars and his factory WP...
http://moto.mpora.com/news/anstie-third-as-searle-breaks-wrist.html

Searle had a massive spill over the Si Racha track’s infamous double jump. On landing, he was pitched over the bars and his factory WP forks snapped in half, with the springs and internals coming out and spilling onto the track.

Kawasaki rider Searle was spitting blood but his worst injury was a double fracture in his wrist which he is due to have plated the day after the race in Thailand.

Paddock rumours suggest Searle may have failed to clear the jump as his bike may not have been running right due to the locally-sourced fuel. His team boss Harry Nolte fumed: “This fuel has affected so many teams – us, the factory Kawasaki team and factory Suzuki teams at least.” The factory Honda team also confirmed their bike were slowed, too.

With the teams forced to use locally-sourced, high-octane race fuel due to import restrictions on fuel after the recent civil unrest in Thailand, many of the riders had machine problems, especially in the 450 class.

Clement Desalle was furious after his bike slowed and started to misfire in the final MX1 race which he had led until he was passed by runaway double winner Tony Cairoli. Instead of riding to the podium after the race, livid Desalle rode his bike back to the Suzuki pits and sat on it revving it wide open so everyone could hear it was misfiring.

His team-mate Kevin Strijbos also visibly slowed at the end of the race, losing a handful of places due to his ailing bike. The Kawasakis of Gautier Paulin and Steven Frossard were also badly affected. Frossard failed to finish, but Paulin coaxed his slowing KXF to the finish line but lost his red plate as championship leader. Every lap Paulin made the huge double jump but came precariously close to not making it as his bike was under-powered.
Since when do Kawasaki's come with "Factory WP forks" ?

The Shop

Brent
3/11/2014 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2014 8:30pm
Since Searle started using them toward the end of last season.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
3/11/2014 9:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2014 10:08pm
Shame Searle was hurt,but Isn't that part of the charm of the World Championship,different culture,languages,food,and restrictions of the countries? Pit of factory KTM stated that all the teams were given spec sheets on the fuel and they seemed to deal with it,or he is a liar and the team brought their own fuel?
Alex
3/11/2014 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2014 9:26pm
Seems like the teams all had the chance to test the fuel on their dynos before they left, but with 40 degrees in Thailand plus humidity things started going off script badly.
Brent
3/11/2014 10:45pm
kongols wrote:
[img]http://distilleryimage3.ak.instagram.com/9bfff18aa8be11e3a6d80e3c6a64aa63_8.jpg[/img]
Damn that thing looks like a craigslist bike.
jeffro503
3/11/2014 11:36pm
kongols wrote:
[img]http://distilleryimage3.ak.instagram.com/9bfff18aa8be11e3a6d80e3c6a64aa63_8.jpg[/img]
Holy Shit!
Socket946
3/12/2014 6:21am
rrjr wrote:
I didn't realize you aren't able to change forks? Is this a new thing for gP's?
Robgvx
3/12/2014 6:37am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2014 6:43am
rrjr wrote:
Socket946 wrote:
I didn't realize you aren't able to change forks? Is this a new thing for gP's?
No production rules in GPs. It's 'run what ya brung', other than:

1. cc
2. Minimum weight limit
3. Maximum sound limit
4. Fuel
5. Single cylinders only (unless you're a series sponsor).
6. Age restrictions in MX2 (unless you're a series sponsor. Or a girl)
The Rock
3/13/2014 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2014 2:35pm
neverwas wrote:
Shame Searle was hurt,but Isn't that part of the charm of the World Championship,different culture,languages,food,and restrictions of the countries? Pit of factory KTM stated that all...
Shame Searle was hurt,but Isn't that part of the charm of the World Championship,different culture,languages,food,and restrictions of the countries? Pit of factory KTM stated that all the teams were given spec sheets on the fuel and they seemed to deal with it,or he is a liar and the team brought their own fuel?
The link shanes provided (and that I overlooked when I started a specific fuel thread) mentions KTM's fuel tank placement affords better heat protection than the Japanese brands.

In the states some teams use dry ice either directly in the fuel (not my choice) or running the fuel through a fuel cooler.with dry ice surrounding the radiator that is cooling the fuel. This would be a must for Thailand and I can imagine possibly India next year.
DrSweden
3/13/2014 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2014 4:44pm
Dunno why KTM was on top of the situation, they own the series, Japan needs to catch up. Its starting to get painful to watch. Reminds me of the Honda era. Still, great that some of you get another opportunity to voice your opinion about Luongos "shortcomings". Like anyone here would make the series better.... Newer gets old. He's obviously sticking around for another decade, maybe time to get over it?

Anyway, if you want to hear KTMs approach from Pit Beirer.

Posted on mxvice:

http://www.mxvice.com/features/interviews/catching-pit-beirer/

"Beirer: I think the problem was related to the heat in general, and the fuel started to boil on top of the hot engines. Our engineers found a great balance between performance and engine heat, which means we don’t run our engines on their maximum power level in these conditions, as it keeps them very healthy and cool. It looks like this idea paid off for us!

The fuel that we used in Thailand was very similar to the race fuel we use in Europe, so our bikes did not react strange at all. I really don’t understand why other bikes had these dramatic problems; all teams got the spec sheet for the fuel before the race, and nobody had any doubts looking at the data."

For what it's worth.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
3/14/2014 11:38am
too bad theres no footage at all from that clip (I guess it doesnt make sense to wait for a video from a spectator since there werent any spectators...)
Camerawork from mxgp-tv or mxlife or even back in freecaster have always been shit. I dont know how they do it but the AMA Cameraguys somehow catch everything relevant on camera. If RV crashes in 13th place, they will show a slowmo a few mins later.
In the GPs it seems like all cameras are fixed on one rider or a battle, or just waiting for that one rider to come by...
meh
Brent
3/14/2014 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2014 12:09pm
crusty_xx wrote:
too bad theres no footage at all from that clip (I guess it doesnt make sense to wait for a video from a spectator since there...
too bad theres no footage at all from that clip (I guess it doesnt make sense to wait for a video from a spectator since there werent any spectators...)
Camerawork from mxgp-tv or mxlife or even back in freecaster have always been shit. I dont know how they do it but the AMA Cameraguys somehow catch everything relevant on camera. If RV crashes in 13th place, they will show a slowmo a few mins later.
In the GPs it seems like all cameras are fixed on one rider or a battle, or just waiting for that one rider to come by...
meh
They have footage, I think they want to sweep the incident under the rug.

Before the start of the second MXGP moto, Adam Wheeler had just started to describe what he saw when Searle crashed, and he just got the words "Engine Bog" out of his mouth when the producers cut him off and went to the starting line reporter Brit girl.

Normally Wheeler and Malin ramble on about nothing, but when he was going to report significant info they cut off his mic? Why?
Sandberm
3/15/2014 9:09am
From reading racerhead over at Racerx it sure sounds like something unreasonable the series promoter put on the racers for this round. This wasnt an obstacle on the track that all the riders had to deal with it was the food they provided for the riders bikes.

Its kind of like if I went to the Seattle Supercross and the only food the vendors were selling were dried prunes and baked beans and it was required that each spectator ate a helping of each. Now I have a cast iron constitution but some of the "Wet-Siders" are more likely to be delicate, so I would have an unfair spectating advantage and before you know it my cheap seat tickets would be exchanged for upper 100 level tickets.

I say, cancel the points from this round and let everyone keep there trophies etc.
3/15/2014 12:21pm
Fraser wrote:
Stefan Everts tweeted- The fuel problems brought our mx riders in danger at the GP in Thailand! In a risky sport like MX we can not...
Stefan Everts tweeted-

The fuel problems brought our mx riders in danger at the GP in Thailand! In a risky sport like MX we can not allow that...

So KTM clearly had issues with it as well
jeffro503 wrote:
According to " Shanes" on the first page.....the Kawi's were the only ones that had issues. Cause his stock bikes run perfect on that fuel....and they...
According to " Shanes" on the first page.....the Kawi's were the only ones that had issues. Cause his stock bikes run perfect on that fuel....and they are KTM's. KTM's can run strait water out of a mud hole and produce more power is what I am getting from him on this subject. And the Kawi's are just pieces of shit I guess.
Come on, facts are facts. Kawi had more issues this year, it is an argument to take into account.

It happens. Sometimes it is Yamaha, sometimes it is the Honda's starts, it happens, no need to make a drama.

Back to the Thai GP, I guess it is a learning curve & the organizer was not lucky with the current political issues, next year(s) the issue will be solved. Racing a GP in Thailand is indeed not like going to Milestone, yes exotic GPs are more complicated but it is necessary for the sport. We must understand the BRIC or ASEA are the future, not Europe or the US.

Taking about sport now, I feel bad of course for Searle & the riders who had issues.

Post a reply to: Race fuel breaks Searles wrist?

The Latest