Race Spec in the UK shut down??

Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 5:45am
I tried to order a set of tyres today & the checkout said there was a problem. Tried ringing them & an automated voice said it was no longer a retail outlet. Did a google search & it says permanently closed. When did all this happen?
|
4/18/2017 11:19am
News to me brother....
flymoto
4/18/2017 11:39am
News to me also. Wouldn't be too surprised, there's loads of cheap online retailers, and new shops popping up often! Just had a quick look on fb page and can't see anything out of the norm
Sidecar
4/18/2017 12:51pm
I hadn't heard anything.... as above online prices make it tough on shops.

The Shop

Snapper
4/18/2017 2:58pm
Crazy. It wasn't long ago that they had a huge showroom which was always nice to visit. With online shopping though, loyalty goes out the window and the UK is seemingly full of smaller retailers under cutting everyone to make a sale. Which might be ok for a bloke working out of his garage from home but running a store and having staff doesn't come cheap. Shame.
mxav8r
4/18/2017 5:21pm
Well next time why don't you try "calling" them to order a set of "tires." You should be good to go. Hope that helps!
4/19/2017 1:17am
mxav8r wrote:
Well next time why don't you try "calling" them to order a set of "tires." You should be good to go. Hope that helps!
??????
4/19/2017 1:46am
Shame, they always used to be my go to site, even used to get the brochure through the mail back when I was riding. They weren't always the cheapest but had a great selection on hand.
OT
Fantasy
3056th
4/19/2017 2:13am
Temporarily closed?? Not sure if it's an old pic but

jpmoney57
4/19/2017 2:43am
mxav8r wrote:
Don't tell an Englishman how to spell or speak English please buddy. It's spelt tyres, not tires...
chuckdavies
4/19/2017 3:05am
mxav8r wrote:
What are you on about???
HenryA
4/19/2017 3:58am
mxav8r wrote:
jpmoney57 wrote:
Don't tell an Englishman how to spell or speak English please buddy. It's spelt tyres, not tires...
Haha talk about wrong place at the wrong time Laughing
4/19/2017 4:04am
Aren't tyres an item your local dealer could supply you? Im all for going online for a specific kit or helmet that your local doesn't keep...
Aren't tyres an item your local dealer could supply you? Im all for going online for a specific kit or helmet that your local doesn't keep in stock, but tyres..?
They was doing a deal, a pair & ultra heavy duty tubes thrown in. Normally I would go to my local dealer but they couldn't match that deal.
RussB
Fantasy
986th
4/19/2017 5:08am
I work and live very close to the old Race Spec shop, so I used to be a regular customer of theirs and hate to think how much I spent there over the years. I bought tyres, helmets, gopro's, spares etc.

As soon as they went online only I stopped using them. When you cant pop into a shop to purchase, it doesn't become worthwhile sticking with one company. The whole benefit of seeing and trying on what you buy goes. As other have said above, other companies go cheaper so why buy with someone who charges more for the same product?

Used to love Race Spec and their staff, it was a shame they closed up shop.
Sad to see them go but online retailing looks to be a brutal world to deal in.
4/19/2017 5:37am
I guess this is why a lot of industry suppliers set minimum prices that retailers can sell. Seems to be a cut throat market
RussB
Fantasy
986th
5/3/2017 11:51pm
Well, I guess they are back in business!
Just got an email through saying they are back. Also there website is live again.
Good news for sure
5/4/2017 5:45am
I have an inkling that Yrjo Vesterinan (former trials world champ & Owner of Apico) owned a share in the Race Spec business. He is/was pretty wealthy. He's been retired a couple years now and I wonder if he pulled/sold out of Race spec and since they've found business tougher.?

Just my own personal thoughts..

Whatever, if they're in business one minute, out the next, then back in again, in my opinion it doesn't bode well for the future. The UK is full of mx companies at the minute who are turning over lots of money but earning extremely little profit. And 24mx is kicking the teeth in a bit too. It wouldn't hurt to have a cull..
5/15/2017 8:12am
Hi Guys, Race Spec has not closed down. we have just relaunched.We are online only for the time being how ever we do plan to reopen a shop in the not too distant future. please have a look around the website as there are new products going on every day. Please like us on Facebook to be kept up to date with all the latest offers and products.
Skerby
5/15/2017 9:59am
mxav8r wrote:
+1, Make words great again!
5/15/2017 10:05am
RaceSpecuk wrote:
Hi Guys, Race Spec has not closed down. we have just relaunched.We are online only for the time being how ever we do plan to reopen...
Hi Guys, Race Spec has not closed down. we have just relaunched.We are online only for the time being how ever we do plan to reopen a shop in the not too distant future. please have a look around the website as there are new products going on every day. Please like us on Facebook to be kept up to date with all the latest offers and products.
Thanks. I tried to order a drum of Pro Clean the other day and couldn't find the site so had to go somewhere else.

Are you still going to trade as Race Spec? I see you've just changed the company name on Companies House to Watbarr Ltd.
5/15/2017 12:28pm
RaceSpecuk wrote:
Hi Guys, Race Spec has not closed down. we have just relaunched.We are online only for the time being how ever we do plan to reopen...
Thanks. I tried to order a drum of Pro Clean the other day and couldn't find the site so had to go somewhere else. Are you...
Thanks. I tried to order a drum of Pro Clean the other day and couldn't find the site so had to go somewhere else.

Are you still going to trade as Race Spec? I see you've just changed the company name on Companies House to Watbarr Ltd.
We have taken on the Race Spec name and website. Race Spec LTD has as you pointed out changed its name.
RedRat
9/10/2017 1:07am
Interesting, I bought a few things from them this year, bought a few bikes to restore and planned to use them for the parts but I learned this morning they blocked me on Twitter. I'll have to get parts from somewhere else then... It's a shame because I always used them when I rode daily but when I sold my Crf450 I didn't ride as much. To be honest they don't stock a lot for older bikes mainly just new ones anyway.

Still a big shame, I thought we were getting on well.

Post a reply to: Race Spec in the UK shut down??

The Latest