Race Fuel Storeage...

nch209
5/3/2017 3:27am
Any tips or tricks for storing race fuel to combat the STINK? Not another thread about the need for fuel, or the best type, ect! Lol!

I'm wondering if a fuel cabinet would help, even a vented one (to outside), although I read pitfalls to these too. I recall my old fuels stinking - mr2 was bad, U2 was rough, 4.4 not too bad--- but my latest switch to mrx02 has my garage stinking and the can is still sealed!!!!!

Any thoughts?
|
5/3/2017 3:36am
Get a 2-stroke. My race fuel smells like God's own nectar. Honestly, I don't know. I didn't know 4-stroke race fuel stunk just sitting in a can.

I run Base race fuel (currently 114 octane) and it doesn't really have any smell sitting in the gas can. I can get a whiff occasionally when fueling the bike and it smells pretty dang good to me.

Mixed with Klotz and burning in the bike...well...let's just say people have stopped by my pit on more than one occasion just to ask, "Why does your exhaust smell soooooooo good!?"
5/3/2017 3:38am
Can't beat the smell of race fuel, race fuel and motorex burnt through a 125sxs, that smell is forever etched in my memory.
IWreckALot
5/3/2017 5:59am
Can't beat the smell of race fuel, race fuel and motorex burnt through a 125sxs, that smell is forever etched in my memory.
I like 100LL mixed with bel ray synthetic.
tcallahan707
5/3/2017 6:28am
Dude, that's the gift that keeps on giving. Learn to appreciate the finer things in life. I buy race fuel ONLY because I want my garage to smell nice!

The Shop

5/3/2017 6:41am
Get a 2-stroke. My race fuel smells like God's own nectar. Honestly, I don't know. I didn't know 4-stroke race fuel stunk just sitting in a...
Get a 2-stroke. My race fuel smells like God's own nectar. Honestly, I don't know. I didn't know 4-stroke race fuel stunk just sitting in a can.

I run Base race fuel (currently 114 octane) and it doesn't really have any smell sitting in the gas can. I can get a whiff occasionally when fueling the bike and it smells pretty dang good to me.

Mixed with Klotz and burning in the bike...well...let's just say people have stopped by my pit on more than one occasion just to ask, "Why does your exhaust smell soooooooo good!?"
Ahhh yes. Vp c12 mixed with klotz is the best smell ever
5/3/2017 6:53am
It's always been my practice to keep fuel in the shed.
5/3/2017 6:57am
Get a 2-stroke. My race fuel smells like God's own nectar. Honestly, I don't know. I didn't know 4-stroke race fuel stunk just sitting in a...

Really the best part about it has been people asking about why my exhaust smells so good. It has got them off of the questions like, "Hey man, who braided your back hair like that?" I get tired of that, but never tire of the moto hotties stopping to run their hands through my Chewbacca coat.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1006th
5/3/2017 7:01am
It's the oxygenated fuels like mrx02, mr2' mr12, u4.4 etc.... It's just the way it is, if you are running in a two stroke the high octane leaded stuff is not bad.......and for a oxygenated fuel VPR is not to strong of a smell. I have MR12 in my garage...drives my wife nuts..but secretly I love it! Laughing
sesker15
5/3/2017 7:04am
My Garage smells great because of race fuel. T2 and T4.
mxb2
5/3/2017 7:28am
Ets, or renegade sx4+ smells even betterGrinningGrinningGrinning
captmoto
5/3/2017 9:32am
I use one of these for avgas. It's not super bitchin' with fancy graphics and handles but is California legal which means it seals completely for no stink. Steel cans also don't bleed vapors so it stores for up to a year. Mine is in a cabinet in my garage. It is was more temp stable than my shed.
https://www.awarehousefull.com/safety-gas-can-with-funnel-5-gallon-red-…
STLSharky
5/3/2017 9:39am
nch209 wrote:
Any tips or tricks for storing race fuel to combat the STINK? Not another thread about the need for fuel, or the best type, ect! Lol...
Any tips or tricks for storing race fuel to combat the STINK? Not another thread about the need for fuel, or the best type, ect! Lol!

I'm wondering if a fuel cabinet would help, even a vented one (to outside), although I read pitfalls to these too. I recall my old fuels stinking - mr2 was bad, U2 was rough, 4.4 not too bad--- but my latest switch to mrx02 has my garage stinking and the can is still sealed!!!!!

Any thoughts?
Metal cans with airtight lids not plastic like the VP cans
newmann
5/3/2017 9:53am
I'll bet I can tell who here has never had oxygenated fuels in their garage. I myself would be interested in some good metal fuel jugs with good lids on them. Race fuel in a plastic jug turns into milky looking floaty crap in our humidity.
mxb2
5/3/2017 10:02am
newmann wrote:
I'll bet I can tell who here has never had oxygenated fuels in their garage. I myself would be interested in some good metal fuel jugs...
I'll bet I can tell who here has never had oxygenated fuels in their garage. I myself would be interested in some good metal fuel jugs with good lids on them. Race fuel in a plastic jug turns into milky looking floaty crap in our humidity.
Metal cans stored in a dark cool.place The fuel will stay good for a long time. And off the ground.
Bramlett321
5/3/2017 10:09am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2017 10:10am

^^^^^ Man you nailed it right there!! That's the signature scent you want when at a race my friend!!
newmann
5/3/2017 10:26am
newmann wrote:
I'll bet I can tell who here has never had oxygenated fuels in their garage. I myself would be interested in some good metal fuel jugs...
mxb2 wrote:
Metal cans stored in a dark cool.place The fuel will stay good for a long time. And off the ground.
Yes, but who makes a good metal jug that could be used for fuel? Those 5 gallon pails race fuel comes in, the neck deteriorates in pretty short order opening and closing them.
Hallzilla
5/3/2017 10:33am
Too many Drug Addicts in this thread. Do you guys keep the gas next to your glue also ?
mxb2
5/3/2017 10:40am
newmann wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
newmann wrote:
Yes, but who makes a good metal jug that could be used for fuel? Those 5 gallon pails race fuel comes in, the neck deteriorates in...
Yes, but who makes a good metal jug that could be used for fuel? Those 5 gallon pails race fuel comes in, the neck deteriorates in pretty short order opening and closing them.
Some auto parts stores do. 5 gallons of race fuel doesn't last long if you are riding. Imo the plastic necks last a good while. Once you pop it up keep it up, stops the chance of tear or ripping.
nch209
5/4/2017 4:02am

Ahhhh, ok. Check. Have the two stroke- and mrx02 is still stinking up the garage in a sealed can. Thanks
nch209
5/4/2017 4:03am
TripleFive wrote:
It's always been my practice to keep fuel in the shed.
Like this idea except my shed gets too hot. Maybe I need a bunker for my fuel?? Lol
nch209
5/4/2017 4:04am
captmoto wrote:
I use one of these for avgas. It's not super bitchin' with fancy graphics and handles but is California legal which means it seals completely for...
I use one of these for avgas. It's not super bitchin' with fancy graphics and handles but is California legal which means it seals completely for no stink. Steel cans also don't bleed vapors so it stores for up to a year. Mine is in a cabinet in my garage. It is was more temp stable than my shed.
https://www.awarehousefull.com/safety-gas-can-with-funnel-5-gallon-red-…
Gotcha. Tha ks
nch209
5/4/2017 4:06am
nch209 wrote:
Any tips or tricks for storing race fuel to combat the STINK? Not another thread about the need for fuel, or the best type, ect! Lol...

Any thoughts?
STLSharky wrote:
Metal cans with airtight lids not plastic like the VP cans
Makes sense. Back when I was racing more I'd just buy 30 or 54 gallon drums or mr2... Much less stank. You made me realize why- big drums have a metal lid. Maybe I'll just start running 15gal drums.
5/4/2017 4:32am
I gather MXR02 is a 2-stroke fuel then? Like I said, I run Base, so don't know anything about other fuels. The reason I went with Base is because I have a reliable source and his prices are more than fair.

I like that can the Cap'n shared in his link above. Might have to consider getting one of those.
nch209
5/4/2017 5:43am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 5:44am
Cap'n's can and bumping up to 15 or 30 gallon drums looks like the way I'm going to avoid the plastic caps. Looking back "uncle Phil" (Phil alderton) from yot would only use 15 gallon drums at the races... And now I suspect it was to keep fumes down in the trucks. I must be getting forgetful! Lol
Tracktor
5/4/2017 10:08am
When I ran race fuel I had a 15 gallon VP drum with a removable hand pump.. Worked great...........That or buy some of the old school jerry cans jeeper use?........
captmoto
5/4/2017 12:19pm
newmann wrote:
Yes, but who makes a good metal jug that could be used for fuel? Those 5 gallon pails race fuel comes in, the neck deteriorates in...
See my post above.

Post a reply to: Race Fuel Storeage...

The Latest